5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Phenolic Spacer Development for VQ35s

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by blackmaxx96
Don't put that shiz on the gravel man!
no ****!!! any little scratch will mess up the seal. plus the spacers are to nice to be treated like that. mine stayed in the plastic till they went on
Old 07-11-2007, 02:21 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Decoy036SPD
Aaron do you still have the blemished spacer kit for the cheaper price or not? just curious on the price of the entire kit again with shipping?
I'm sorry. I only had a few of those kits. It something that will probably never happen again.

The price for the VQ35DE Maxima kit is $225 plus $10 shipping via USPS 2-3 day Priority Mail.

http://www.nissanworks.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html
Old 07-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
no ****!!! any little scratch will mess up the seal. plus the spacers are to nice to be treated like that. mine stayed in the plastic till they went on
Wouldn't using the black RTV that was recommended during installation seal it even if there were small scratches?
Old 07-11-2007, 02:39 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by machinehead131
Wouldn't using the black RTV that was recommended during installation seal it even if there were small scratches?
Yeah it should. But, you still don't want to see scratches in those beautifully ported manifolds or spacers.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Yeah it should. But, you still don't want to see scratches in those beautifully ported manifolds or spacers.

tehehe, of course not!
Old 07-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
No damage sustained. Carefully placed on asphalt for pics.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by NISMAX03
No damage sustained. Carefully placed on asphalt for pics.
shop rags are cheap

Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

WOW thats beautiful... can't wait till mine go on. Ordered today hehe.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:44 PM
NWP Engineering.com

How is everyone doing with their spacers?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM
I R The Law

Haven't had a problem aaron. *knock on wood* Thanks for checking up tho.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:20 PM
Cletus

LOVE THEM!!!
nothing but good things...no problems at all.
thanks again Aaron
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM

i cant go through 20 pages of posts to see if this question has been answered. however, the question is, would it fit if i had the kinetix manifold?
Old 08-08-2007, 11:29 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by maxximaa
i cant go through 20 pages of posts to see if this question has been answered. however, the question is, would it fit if i had the kinetix manifold?
I completely understand. It's easier just to ask. Not a problem.

To answer your question, yes, it will fit if you have a Kinetix intake manifold. The only part that will not work is the Elbow spacer since the Kinetix IM eliminates the need for one. Other than that, it bolts up no problem and has been installed on more than one VQ35DE.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:11 PM

maxximaa, http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=523970

BTW, I'm still very happy with the intake spacers.
Hats off to Aaron. Excellent product. Excellent customer service.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:04 PM

how many hp is the average gain with the spacers and IM?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:27 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by maxximaa
how many hp is the average gain with the spacers and IM?
I have not dyno'd the spacers with the Kinetix IM. But the spacers by themselves show an average gain of 10hp and 12 ft-lb gain! You can view the dyno sheet on my website or by clicking HERE.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:43 PM

Aaron just to be completely on the same page as everyone...these spacers will yield more gains in the warmer temperatures than colder temps correct?
I remember someone telling me that the spacers result in loss of low-end power but increase top-end...any truth to this?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 PM

just look at the dyno graph... these actually give more gain in the low-mid range than the top end
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by SLVRMAXX
Aaron just to be completely on the same page as everyone...these spacers will yield more gains in the warmer temperatures than colder temps correct?
I remember someone telling me that the spacers result in loss of low-end power but increase top-end...any truth to this?
No, the spacers provide a great low end and midrange power gain without sacrificing any top end!

You might be thinking of the SSIM or Kinetix, which does lose low end power.

But with the spacers you should notice a nice gain in power below 5K rpm.

About the temps, there should be a better gain in the summer months than the winter months due to heat soak. But I have not tested this. When I did the dyno testing, it was done in cooler weather. So a greater gain might be felt in the hotter months.

Regardless, you should see AT LEAST a 10hp and 12ft-lb gain in any weather!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:47 AM

VQ30DE-K related. I found a old 2000 copy of Turbo mag lying around. There was a Stillen 2000 MAxima in it and one of the mods listed is a phenolic spacer. Don't have the full details since I'm at work. I'm wondering if this was a Stillen product at the time? OR the outcome of it? I know people have said there is no value in getting this on the DEK but perhaps I'll email them about it and see what they say?

I will try one when I get time to copy the page it was listed in.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:57 AM
Cletus

from experience...wrong
Old 08-25-2007, 06:09 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by TDotMax
VQ30DE-K related. I found a old 2000 copy of Turbo mag lying around. There was a Stillen 2000 MAxima in it and one of the mods listed is a phenolic spacer. Don't have the full details since I'm at work. I'm wondering if this was a Stillen product at the time? OR the outcome of it? I know people have said there is no value in getting this on the DEK but perhaps I'll email them about it and see what they say?

I will try one when I get time to copy the page it was listed in.
I'm guessing it was a custom made part. A phenolic spacer can still possibly help the DEK. But, some of my picky testing will need to be involved.

And nobody here has ever posted about Stillen making phenolic spacers for the Maxima. I certainly haven't noticed it mentioned on the org.

But the reason why there might not be gains in having a phenolic spacer on the VQ30DEK is b/c it has a plastic composite IM that already stays pretty cool. If the spacers were to gain power, it would be more due to my spacers being properly port matched and also due to lengthening the runners, which helps most of the time. Sometimes, it doesn't though. So dyno testing MUST be done to determine that.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:47 PM

I will be getting these within the next month =)

Im just so paranoid about letting my shop do it...it is a performance shop and he said he was scheduled to do 2 of these spacers installs within the next week but this is actually an install that has to be done the right way, neatly...esp. with the rvt and making sure it does not leak down into the ports. Its something I wish I could do myself but I just dont have the tools...and they dont even let you watch while they do it!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:23 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I will be getting these within the next month =)

Im just so paranoid about letting my shop do it...it is a performance shop and he said he was scheduled to do 2 of these spacers installs within the next week but this is actually an install that has to be done the right way, neatly...esp. with the rvt and making sure it does not leak down into the ports. Its something I wish I could do myself but I just dont have the tools...and they dont even let you watch while they do it!
It's not that hard to install these spacers. I'm sure if that shop does the job, they will do it right as long as they at least read over my instructions to make sure they don't miss anything.

If you apply too much RTV, it will squeeze out in the ports when you press the spacer onto the manifold. Just wipe it clean before installing the other mating manifold. I think you'll be fine if they have a good reputation for doing the job right the first time.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:19 AM

Well I finally got the kit installed by Kev at Goodwin Motorsports. He did a very good job. I got it done last Sun. and just rode around these past few days trying to decide how well this modification did.

From the butt dyno, I definitely can tell a difference when getting on the highway and also doing 4th gear pulls on the highway. It seems there is more power all thru the power band. It feels nice!

Also after driving around, the manifold cover is a lot cooler then normal, usually I would get burned if I touched it but not now. Wow, I seriously recommend this product to anyone that can get it. Quality product with quality service from Aaron!

Now I can finally get the VAFC II tuned…
Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MaximusMorpheus
Well I finally got the kit installed by Kev at Goodwin Motorsports. He did a very good job. I got it done last Sun. and just rode around these past few days trying to decide how well this modification did.

From the butt dyno, I definitely can tell a difference when getting on the highway and also doing 4th gear pulls on the highway. It seems there is more power all thru the power band. It feels nice!

Also after driving around, the manifold cover is a lot cooler then normal, usually I would get burned if I touched it but not now. Wow, I seriously recommend this product to anyone that can get it. Quality product with quality service from Aaron!

Very nice! Thank you for posting your review!
Old 08-29-2007, 01:55 PM

I'd be interested if you can make one for the VQ30DE-K.

Just let me know if you do one.

Cheers

AA
Old 08-29-2007, 03:37 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by doublea
I'd be interested if you can make one for the VQ30DE-K.

Just let me know if you do one.

Cheers

AA
Alright. A lot of testing will need to be done first so I can determine whether there is a gain to be had by lengthening the intake runners. But I will make sure I post about the development of it in the 5th gen forum once I'm ready.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:40 AM

Thank you, Aaron I'll make sure to follow up on this.

Cheers

AA
Old 09-14-2007, 06:55 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Note to all NWP Customers: The new NWP Engineering die cut decals are in!

If you want a free set of decals for your car please email me at [aaron@nwpengineering.com] with your Maxima.org name, Full Name that you used when paying for the spacers, and a shipping address.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Cletus

email sent....
Old 09-17-2007, 01:38 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Here's a pic of the silver die cut NWP decals. If you are an NWP customer, please email me with your name, address, and Maxima.org name to receive a free pair.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:54 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Just finished this install a few minutes ago. I still have to do the idle re-learn, etc. etc... I'm so damn anxious to get her on the road but I'll wait. Thanks Aaron... I let you know my results.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:10 PM

Sorry for the noob question but with these spacers do you have to actually do the idle/air relearn procedure or is it just one of those things that couldn't hurt by doing it?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Cletus

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
Sorry for the noob question but with these spacers do you have to actually do the idle/air relearn procedure or is it just one of those things that couldn't hurt by doing it?
you usually have to do it after disconnecting the throttle body wire harness
Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Yeah, as soonerfan mentioned, you usually have to do it. But not all HAVE to. If your car is running just perfect after you finish the install, then there's really no reason to do it. But make absolutely sure that when you rev the motor at idle and as soon as you release the throttle, make sure there's no delay. If there's a delay, then do the very simple Throttle Release Procedure. That was about all we had to do on the test vehicle.

I believe Mike (the 5.5 gen test vehicle) had to do the Idle Learning procedure a few days later and it fixed his slightly high idle.

So it doesn't hurt to do those procedures right after installing the spacers. But it's not always necessary.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by MaximusMorpheus

During and after the install I was also VERY VERY impressed with this kit, the quality, customer service, and gains are all amazing, expect to get a few orders from me in the future........

When jooo gonna finally make one for the 4G! Ibthelongerrunners would do wonders on a mevi as well.........
Old 09-24-2007, 07:44 AM

Aaron,

Are the spacers on back order?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM

I keep trying to go to the links for the procedure in the 5th gen how-to's and it keeps saying no thread specified...is there another website with the procedure?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by KRRZ350
During and after the install I was also VERY VERY impressed with this kit, the quality, customer service, and gains are all amazing, expect to get a few orders from me in the future........

When jooo gonna finally make one for the 4G! Ibthelongerrunners would do wonders on a mevi as well.........
Thank you for the review! I really appreciate your business!

This past Saturday, I just started the initial design for the 4th gen spacers! Good news! It fits!!!! The EGR tube is able to connect back up without any problems!

The 4th gen kit is not expected to be finished until sometime in Nov at least. I still have to design the prototype and test it fully before releasing it for sale.

Originally Posted by bladerunr
Aaron,

Are the spacers on back order?
Yes, they the VQ35DE spacers are on backorder right now. They are expected to be ready for shipment on Oct 11th. I'm really sorry about this.

I keep trying to go to the links for the procedure in the 5th gen how-to's and it keeps saying no thread specified...is there another website with the procedure?
What procedure are you trying to find? I have the full installation instructions posted on my website if you need to read over them.

http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html

Quick Reply: Phenolic Spacer Development for VQ35s