5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:19 AM

Need Help...

Half the links are freakin broken and I can't find anyhting on a HOW-TO for the MAF replacement...

Can anyone help me out??
Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 AM
dot dot dot ...

You didn't look hard enough.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=348395
Old 02-22-2007, 03:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

a little OT, but I am in a time crunch!

Hi all,
Let me cut to the chase and give a quick intro and beg for forgiveness and leeway from the forum rules:

I've recently moved to Taiwan and have acquired a 2000 5th generation maxima. Please understand, these versions of Maxima are rare in that country (in fact, it's a US model that was imported into the country; everyone drives cefiros instead) so parts are nonexistent and knowledgeable techs are no where to be found. I am back in the US for 1 more week so I'm trying to buy some parts as quickly as I can. So please please forgive me for replying to this post--I couldn't post a new post and I've fiddled with the google search for an hour already trying to find answers but I haven't fully figured it all out.

1) I want better headlamp modules! The stock ones on the 2000 are quite ugly (IMHO) and I want better looking ones. I heard you can retrofit newer HIDs but I think that's a difficult endeavour (sp?) and I know I'm forbidden to talk about it here. So instead, I installed ballasts and my stock headlights are MUCH brighter and are sufficient for my HID-spoiled eyes. However, the headlight housings are just ugly to me. Where can I get nice aftermarket ones, and better yet, which ones do you recommend? Can I retrofit any of the later 5th generation maxima stock headlight housings to my car? Those look much better with the "smooth" turn signals that don't bulge out.

2) I really need an IPOD solution for my car as I'm driving 1hr commutes daily. The best solution so far I've been using is Griffin's SmartDeck cassette adapter but it makes such a LOUD mechanical noise that I always have to listen to music loudly which is driving me nuts. FM transmitters are too unreliable (plus there are too many pirate radio stations out there) so I'm looking for either: 1) a fix to my cassette adapter connection (perhaps I need to clean the deck? or what?)or 2) a ipod cd changer adapter or a FM modulator (which is better?).

For the ipod adapters, is it something I can DIY? I can popout the radio, I'm sure, but I am not good at running cables to the cd changer (since it's in the trunk). Anyone have experience with these installs? Or does the adapter module have a cable that I can plug directly into the back of the radio bypassing the cd changer?)

3) I've noticed a film all around the air vents and the radio. It is semi sticky and it seems like double sided tape was once there and perhaps a wood trim is missing. There is wood trim on the lower dash (covering the HVAC controls). Since I've never seen this car new, was there a wood trim piece that should be covering the AC vents and radio? Shoot, I forgot which is on top--the ac or the radio (car is not in front of me as I'm in the US right now). But i THINK you can understand what I mean.

4) Anyone install the "optional" charcoal air filters? Do they help? The air in Taiwan is...........HORRIBLE. So I'm wondering if those help?

THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help. I'm really sorry mods/admins for this slight disregard to rules, but I'm really running out of time and I won't be back in the US for another 3 months!

Zelik
2000 Maxima GLE Black w/tan interior
Old 02-22-2007, 05:09 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by zelik
Hi all,
Let me cut to the chase and give a quick intro and beg for forgiveness and leeway from the forum rules:

THANK YOU THANK YOU for your help. I'm really sorry mods/admins for this slight disregard to rules, but I'm really running out of time and I won't be back in the US for another 3 months!

Zelik
2000 Maxima GLE Black w/tan interior
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=487272
1. Yes. You'll need to PM Puppetmaster (except you don't have PM privileges yet)
2. Do you have the the stock HU?
3. Probably. There might be a dash kit vendor in the stickies.
4. I can't imagine anything noticeable but the charcoal one is probably better than anything else.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:12 AM
Cletus

for the ipod...get this http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/

see my posts in this thread for more info (includes installed pic) http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=ipod
Old 02-22-2007, 06:49 AM
dot dot dot ...

I'm going to itnegrate my iPod using my MAF signal
Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hahahahaha.

Thanks for the link and information about the ipod! I'll check that out. I also found through that link the crutchfield nissan adapter. I wonder if that works! That seems like the best option for me since I just want to use the ipod's interface to control it.

BTW: Is the VAIS system that infamous for failing and needing repair? How do I know if mine is broken (since I don't know how "stock unbroken" vais horsepower felt like ? :P . Dumb question I guess. I'll just have to pull it out to see