5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2001, 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima Steering

I test drove an 02 Maxima today. The steering ratio seemed unusually slow to me. Also the effort seemed way too light This was an SE. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 09-29-2001, 07:21 PM

Re: Maxima Steering

Originally posted by joeandcarol2
I test drove an 02 Maxima today. The steering ratio seemed unusually slow to me. Also the effort seemed way too light This was an SE. Has anyone else noticed this?
You think??? i think it's pretty much almsot exactly the same as my ae.
Old 09-29-2001, 07:25 PM

Very similar to the Anniversary Edition in my opinion also. GXE and GLE for 2k did have a faster steering response, maybe to help some correct an error in steering!! No slams.....
Old 09-30-2001, 06:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes I am sure its the same on the AE. Probably also slow. I drove an Altima today 3.5 SE. Paid attention to the steering and it was faster with better feedback. New technology maybe or maybe Nissan now has the capital to use a bit more expensive technology.
Old 09-30-2001, 07:40 PM

Because the Altima is already one of Nissans best sellers and now wants to compete with Camry and Accord, they have to make it appeal to the masses. Quicker steering ......easier corrections for general public. Maxima's compete on a spirited level and the Performance Suspension and Steering will be more in tune with tight cornering and immediate feedback from driver input hence the tighter feeling.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

killerwheels

I'm sorry Mr. killerwheels but the Altima's steering is more sporty. The maxima steering is slower (requires more turning of the steering wheel for any turning of the front wheels). Also the Altima steering had more feedback. You could feel the resistance of the road.
Old 10-01-2001, 03:48 PM

Re: killerwheels

I'm sorry Mr. killerwheels but the Altima's steering is more sporty. The maxima steering is slower (requires more turning of the steering wheel for any turning of the front wheels). Also the Altima steering had more feedback. You could feel the resistance of the road.
I disagree.....and feel that most others on this site that have compared the two will agree. The Maxima has a tougher but more aggressive steering response and feels more like an Audi s4...hence the term sporty...the Altima SE handles well but felt a little less active in steering, not like a Olds though . Enjoy your favorite and I will enjoy mine......thats why we all have choices and $$$$$ to spend. Put on a set of 18's , RSB, and FSTB and response and road feel change once again!
Old 10-05-2001, 04:13 PM

Road and Track (25000 shoot-out)

I thought I would chime in and let you know that not one but all reviewers (over 8) in this article found the Altima SE steering response to be geared as too comfortable and not responsive. Never once has an audience of multiple drivers found the Maxima to be lacking in suspension and feel. While they loved the engine.....and so do I....they agree that it still needs more sport and polish.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:30 AM

Re: killerwheels

I have to agree with killrwheels:

sporty/performance car= stiffer steering/more "turning" of the wheel. If you are going at high speeds (i.e. in a 'sporty' car), you want your steering wheel to be LESS sensitive so that you have better control on the road (that's why you'll see in race cars, etc. at least older ones, they never used power steering). I guess some manufacturers compensate with variable assist steering.

Take the 3.5 SE Altima on a long road, come to a complete stop, and then floor it (I've test driven 3-4 times). You will immediately notice that the torque steer combined with the really "light" steering will make it difficult to stay completely straight on the road. (it was funny to see my dad do this in the test drive; the car was swaying back and forth across the road! ) It makes sense to me, though, that the average Camry/Accord buyer won't be performance/high speed driving, that's why they are obviously geared to the average consumer. And that is why the Altima's steering is made for the average consumer as well.

Back to the maxima, the only thing about the steering that really annoys me is that the turning radius SUCKS . Compared to my dad's I30, it's a little harder to park in cramped parking lots and turn around in the road. I'm not used to that, and it goes against my "driving style." Oh well, the car still kicks a$$, so I'll have to get used to it!

aj
Old 10-07-2001, 04:16 AM

Re: Maxima Steering

Yes - the 5th gen Maxima steering is slow compared to other cars, for two reasons - one is that it's the same gear as the 4th gen but on a longer wheelbase (cost savings) and the other is that the steering wheel is large (I think for gauge visibility), so effort is low too. Even so, once you get used to it and have the right air pressure in the front tires it is quite responsive and communicative. A front strut brace helps too.

wdave
Old 10-07-2001, 04:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think that it's kinda funny that Nissan would give a sporty car (ie the Maxima) crappy S hity a ss single beam rear suspension. I mean come on! Even my old civic had independent trailing arm suspension in the rear. I don't think that you'd ever be able to get a Maxima to handle decently because of the rear suspension draw back.
Old 10-07-2001, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by cobymoby
I think that it's kinda funny that Nissan would give a sporty car (ie the Maxima) crappy S hity a ss single beam rear suspension. I mean come on! Even my old civic had independent trailing arm suspension in the rear. I don't think that you'd ever be able to get a Maxima to handle decently because of the rear suspension draw back.
If I'm not mistaking the I-30 uses a similar rear setup and never comes under fire. The Maxima has only recently been hit for this issue, when the car was new in 2k it was not an issue. I'm sure that Nissan has already discontinued the Rear Beam under the 6 Gen's. It appears that they balanced Luxury versus Sport along with cost savings, but it does have its drawbacks.
Old 10-07-2001, 10:29 AM

Re: Re: Maxima Steering

A front strut brace helps too.
Where can I get one for like 40 bucks? All the ones I've seen are for 95-99s. Thanks.
Old 10-07-2001, 11:36 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I test drove one the other day too...steering was not slow at all...