5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need Help-Fidanza Fly Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Need Help-Fidanza Fly Install

This past weekend my mechanic and I have installed the Fidanza Flywheel onto my 2002 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE with 350Z Clutch/Pressure Plate. Upon completing the install the car would not start properly.

We were able to get the car started however, the only way the car would start is by unplugging the Crank Position Sensor located in the front of the vehicle. Although it starts the engine is forced to crank for 5-7 secs before it "fires" up. We believe the car is reading off of the Cam Position Sensor noting to the ECU that the engine is "cranking" and igniting the sparks to "fire" up.

Initially we thought that the CPS was faulty but we tried the same CPS on my Mom's 2K2 Maxima SE and started up right away.

We attempted angling the CPS a little bit while trying to start the car and found out that the flywheel could be off center by a little bit. So tiny that the naked eye is not able to tell. Obviously, we can not angle the sensor as a permanent fix because of the risk of the sensor shifting and shutting down the engine during driving conditions.

I understand that the Fidanza Flywheel was a concern when it was first created for the 2002-2003 Maxima almost two (2) years ago. However, I also understand that the issues in the past have been resolved.

Does anyone have another other comments or suggestions? I've already contacted Tech at Fidanza but will probably not get a response until later in the week since it's the weekend.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:34 AM
L.M.L.

fidanza flywheel has 2 holes to align with the crankshaft.. one for FWD applications and the other - for RWD. You did not mess that up?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by L.M.L.
fidanza flywheel has 2 holes to align with the crankshaft.. one for FWD applications and the other - for RWD. You did not mess that up?
So there are two (2) different dowel? One is FWD and the other is RWD? Do I have to moved the dowel pins then? Do you possibly have a picture or illustration?

Thanks,
Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 AM
L.M.L.

Originally Posted by ynot411
So there are two (2) different dowel? One is FWD and the other is RWD? Do I have to moved the dowel pins then? Do you possibly have a picture or illustration?

Thanks,
no, there is only one pin, on the crankshaft, but 2 holes on fidanza flywheel. you are supposed to match the right one with the pin. Here, this should give you an idea: http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...MAXIMAVQ35.PDF

Old 10-29-2007, 11:29 AM

350z and maxima flywheels the same?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
L.M.L.

Originally Posted by coinage
350z and maxima flywheels the same?
that's a good ?, but that fidanza flywheel has 2 alignment holes - for 2 different applications - g35/z and max/alt .. go figure.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:01 PM
ShiftVQ35

the way that the flywheel is installed is critical or you will have problems later down the road

Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM
absoundlab

yes on the back side of the flywheel there are 2 alignment holes. one is fwd and the other is rwd. the shallow hole is fwd and the deeper hole is rwd. what these are for is you have to set the alignment pin on the crank up to the correct hole on the flywheel for either fwd or rwd whatever the car is that you are working on. and by setting it correct that will set the timing ring on the flywheel so the crank senor read correctly. if you dont set it right then you have to pull the tranny and fix it.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by absoundlab
yes on the back side of the flywheel there are 2 alignment holes. one is fwd and the other is rwd. the shallow hole is fwd and the deeper hole is rwd. what these are for is you have to set the alignment pin on the crank up to the correct hole on the flywheel for either fwd or rwd whatever the car is that you are working on. and by setting it correct that will set the timing ring on the flywheel so the crank senor read correctly. if you dont set it right then you have to pull the tranny and fix it.
My mechanic is upset at me now saying that there is something wrong with the Fidanza Flywheel. I was not in town to be there to assist him but he is saying that he took it apart and made sure that the pin from the engine side was in the correct "dowel" labled "front."

He is stating that the car is still not starting up properly and that he took it apart for nothing.

Any comments?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 PM

Need Help!

I am looking for some suggestions. I have not been able to get the car running properly. The flywheel was reinstalled last week and the car starts up just like it should; which is an improvment from before when the car would not start up at all and would just go into the Fail-safe mode. But now the problem is that when the accelerator pedal is pressed (as if I'm reving or wanting to drive) the RPMs do not consistantly move up through the RPM band. The higher the car Revs the more the needle "bleeps" (needle jumps up and down) and there is a sudden loss of power and the car jerks like crazy.

Is this because the flywheel is not properly installed on the correct dowel? Is there a defect in the flywheel? The code I'm getting is the P0335. I've replaced the CPS harness and have on order a brand new CPS. I doubt that the CPS is bad because I placed the CPS in my Mom's 2002 Maxima and her car started up as normal prior to me doing this re-install.

Any advice or comments?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
ShiftVQ35

if it was installed properly you should not be having problems. i have the flywheel on my 2k2 6 speed maximal and im not having any issues. the car starts up fine and revs till redline without a problem. BUt before that, i was having issues withought the car not wanting to rev past 4500 rpm, but then i replaced the cps and it went away. is there any codes? you can check if it is installed properly by removing the cover on the back of the tranny and checking the timing marks.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ShiftVQ35
if it was installed properly you should not be having problems. i have the flywheel on my 2k2 6 speed maximal and im not having any issues. the car starts up fine and revs till redline without a problem. BUt before that, i was having issues withought the car not wanting to rev past 4500 rpm, but then i replaced the cps and it went away. is there any codes? you can check if it is installed properly by removing the cover on the back of the tranny and checking the timing marks.
Yes, I am getting one code, it's P0335 which is the CPS code. I've already installed a brand new harness and waiting on receiving the CPS to give that a shot. However, my worry is what happens if the CPS doesn't solve the problem? What am I gonna do? I will take your suggestion and try to remove the cover on the back side of the tranny...if you think that's easier than taking off the bell housing.

Thanx for your response.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:14 AM
ShiftVQ35

replace the cps first. you know there was a tsb for 02 and 03 maximas for the crank position sensor and both of the cam position sensors. the tsb stated that all 3 sensors need to be replaced. after my install of my fidanza, my car didnt want to rev past 4500 rpm and i thought the flywheel installed was wrong but the cover on the back of the tranny was removed and the timing marks were in the correct location according to the diagram from fidanza. and then i got the code for the cps. well i swapped cps and the the car reved till redline without any problem. dave burnett at south point nissan sells the kit with all 3 sensors for $90. so replace the sensors and check if the timing is correct on the flywheel

Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ShiftVQ35
replace the cps first. you know there was a tsb for 02 and 03 maximas for the crank position sensor and both of the cam position sensors. the tsb stated that all 3 sensors need to be replaced. after my install of my fidanza, my car didnt want to rev past 4500 rpm and i thought the flywheel installed was wrong but the cover on the back of the tranny was removed and the timing marks were in the correct location according to the diagram from fidanza. and then i got the code for the cps. well i swapped cps and the the car reved till redline without any problem. dave burnett at south point nissan sells the kit with all 3 sensors for $90. so replace the sensors and check if the timing is correct on the flywheel
I remember the campaign for the CPS which I know was replaced in 2003; however, I am not sure if the cam position sensors were replaced during that same campaign.

It seems that you and I have the same problem with the rev past 4500. The symptom is similar to what I'm having and I hope that the CPS will do the trick. It was shipped out today and I should have it just in time for the Thanksgiving break for me to try it out.

I will update with a status once I get the CPS replaced.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM
ShiftVQ35

any updates man ? i replaced my cps and the problem still exist for me

Old 11-24-2007, 08:10 PM

I replaced my CPS on Thanksgiving Day and it started right up! I guess the P0335 code that the ECU was telling was right on the money. The CPS has been on the car since Thursday and I've been driving each day now and have no problems or SES light.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and advice on this. I'm so happy that I have the car back. I will be dynoing it most likely next week to see how much more HPs I've gained with the install of the Intake Spacers and the lighten Flywheel.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, this may not be related but it's worth mentioning. I was on the APS website and the were saying that the CPS harness is not shielded on the 350z and they were having problems the timing signal being erratic. The unshielded wires are possibly picking up EMI from all the other powered wires in the main harness. I am putting a 03 Maxima motor, ecu, and harness in my 240sx and I have been going throught the harness and only the throttle motor and knock are shielded unlike the 95-99 Maxima that has all critical sensors shielded. I will get some shielded wire radio shack before I wire up my car.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

my fidanza FW was sold to me as a maxima flywheel, it only has 1 hole on the crank side. any idea why its different? its making one hell of a noise like the starter is grinding on the flywheel.