5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

#@$! ME! I also have condensation in the HIDs...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2001, 10:24 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

#@$! ME! I also have condensation in the HIDs...

its sunny 70 degrees here... when parked for lunch, I rinsed the car off. as soon as the cold water hit the front of the lens, it clouded up. so the moisture was not from the hose, but already in the assembly. It hasnt rained here in days. I hit the Hibeams and it evaporated quickly, but I wonder what these lenses will look like in 12 months time.

I mean, I'm not really sure if it is a problem or not.. its not alot of moisture, just condensation you would get on any plastic with an extreme temp change... yeah, thats what I'm telling myself right now.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:38 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: #@$! ME! I also have condensation in the HIDs...

Originally posted by TimW
its sunny 70 degrees here... when parked for lunch, I rinsed the car off. as soon as the cold water hit the front of the lens, it clouded up. so the moisture was not from the hose, but already in the assembly. It hasnt rained here in days. I hit the Hibeams and it evaporated quickly, but I wonder what these lenses will look like in 12 months time.

I mean, I'm not really sure if it is a problem or not.. its not alot of moisture, just condensation you would get on any plastic with an extreme temp change... yeah, thats what I'm telling myself right now.
And I am assuming since we do not have '02's that we are not going to be able to have this fixed right?
Old 10-25-2001, 10:48 AM

Yeah I'm gonna be ****** if there's no help for us. Since that first time with the condensation, I haven't noticed any in mine, but that doesn't mean it won't happen again. BTW, where in the assembly was your condensation? Mine was along the bottom edge.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: #@$! ME! I also have condensation in the HIDs...

Originally posted by Colonel

And I am assuming since we do not have '02's that we are not going to be able to have this fixed right?
I don't know about you, but I got mine from an authorized Nissan Parts department, so it's covered under some kind of warranty. *WINK* DaveB!
Old 10-25-2001, 11:01 AM

i havent

Well today my missions include getting a haircut for the weekend, and installing my 2k2 lights.

Um Tim... you think it would help if i silicone around the edges a little of assembly? I still got some left over that i used for my SE TAILLIGHTS.

Roger
Old 10-25-2001, 11:18 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: i havent

Originally posted by radpp16
Well today my missions include getting a haircut for the weekend, and installing my 2k2 lights.

Um Tim... you think it would help if i silicone around the edges a little of assembly? I still got some left over that i used for my SE TAILLIGHTS.

Roger
Upon reflection I am thinking (I know bad idea) that it might be coming in throught the HID area, not the high or edge seals. As I was examining the bucket before install I recall how unimpressed I was with the design and construction of the HID burner and ballast area. What d'all think?
Old 10-25-2001, 11:20 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

there is a clearly a rubber vent tube...

and perhaps there is just a large volume of air in the assembly (more than the old light for sure). I think all the connectors are tight as they can be...

yeah, along the bottom..
Old 10-25-2001, 11:33 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: i havent

Originally posted by radpp16

Roger
No, it won't help to just seal the edge of the housing, because air still gets by the bulbs.

The ONLY permanent solution would be to vacuum/remove all the air from inside the housing and provide an air-tight seal. Too bad we have to remove the bulbs every now and then or this might have been possible. The next best solution and definitely not a 100% fix, would be to provide a "moisture tube" to allow enough air to exchange and allow moisture to excape. My theory/guess is that there is hot air inside the housing due to engine bay temps, outside air getting in, or bulbs heating the air and when you cool the outside of the lens by running cool water over it or the outside temp change quickly, it causes precipitation to form on the inside of the lens from the hot air cooling and condensing the moisture vapor. Basically, what happens every Winter at my house on the windows(one or two days per year it's actually cold here in the desert ).

I know it's annoying guys, but it's life. I left the bulbs out on my rear clear markers and they have moisture tubes and I haven't haven't noticed any condensation, yet. My front clears don't have moisture tubes and I've had condensation several times. I usually notice the moisture when I wash my car.

Condensation is annoying and can be damaging, but there is not much we can do. The simplest way to reduce the amout of condensation build up is to allow the air in the housing to be able to adjust to the changing temperatures. Again, my best guess at a fix would be to allow the engine bay to be cool before washing the car and if you get condensation try removing the bulbs so that the air can exchange faster.

If anyone finds a BETTER solution please let me know.

SORRY about the rant, but I'm getting a little sick of all the flames about the HIDs. I myself and VERY pleased with the results and the fact that Nissan actually did something right that I could use to enhance the look and performance of my car.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:40 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Re: Re: i havent

Originally posted by IceY2K1

SORRY about the rant, but I'm getting a little sick of all the flames about the HIDs. I myself and VERY pleased with the results and the fact that Nissan actually did something right that I could use to enhance the look and performance of my car.
I am pleased as well (I can see at night for a change) and have not experienced condensation....(where is that wood I need to knock on) but do not look forward to it. I live in Cincy and have no condensation in my clears (I siliconed the edges though) and have not seen any condensation on my HIDs.

Though one note is that when it got cool enough I had moisture on the OUTSIDE and was curious if the HIDs got warm enought to melt ice or frost in the future or will I have to turn on the brights to melt it? There is NO way I am scraping the lamp assemblies to remove that.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: i havent

No, it won't help to just seal the edge of the housing, because air still gets by the bulbs.

Hey ICE, did you call DaveB about those rubber strips TIMMMEH was talking about?
Old 10-25-2001, 12:18 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Re: Re: Re: i havent

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

Hey ICE, did you call DaveB about those rubber strips TIMMMEH was talking about?
Not yet. Too lazy. Actually, I was trying to think if there is anything else I need to order, AE pedals/shifter/2K2???. Plus, I need to check and make sure they are not still on the old set. I think I'll need new ones anyways.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:23 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 10-25-2001, 12:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

Old 10-25-2001, 12:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: i havent

Not yet. Too lazy. Actually, I was trying to think if there is anything else I need to order, AE pedals/shifter/2K2???. Plus, I need to check and make sure they are not still on the old set. I think I'll need new ones anyways.
I called him today. He said he would look into it. That stuff isn't in any of the parts guides so he was going to go out to the shop. He was going to be out this afternoon so I expect to hear something either tomorrow or early next week depending on how busy he is.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.