5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is anyone else totally disatisfied with their Maxi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

you got a lemon.... but wait.. normal on a 5+ year car.... mine has 140k miles and other than the O2 codes nothing major.........
Old 01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by AnDyMaN
... i say go with toyota for reliability and honest warranty.
you're kidding right?

I had BAD expiriences with toyota corolla, 2003-2004, cars are a POS. I had more problems with 2 corollas than I ever had with all of my nissans COMBINED.

And toyota dealerships are just as lazy, dumb, ..........(insert adjective) as nissan and more.

and back to OP. The things you list should not even be considered as problems. Just little issues that needed some lovin'. And you seem like you like to throw your money away, running to the dealership for EVERY little stupid thing. I'm sorry, but here you are complaining about like things like that and then go ahead and state that you're better off buying a MB or BMW, you probably are, but not when it comes to saving money at the dealership. German parts are alot more expensive that japan parts.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a love/hate relationship with my car. I love driving it and love the way it feels when i drive it. But my SES light has never really ever been off since I bought it over 2 years ago and I've dumped a pretty penny into various 02 sensors and a cat. All those other minor problems that you have I would say aren't all that common.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 PM

I would say get second opinions before the dealer works on your car. Some of those problems could be purposefully mis-diagnosed. Anyway, you do live in a cold climate, which wreaks havoc on vehicles, and the maxima is no exception to that rule. In fact, it seems that Maximas are especially prone to problems in cold climates...radio, electrical issues, etc.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 AM

so far so good on my 03 max with 120k kms. just needa replace brake pads and rotors, and change the spark plugs. nothing major yet, fingers crossed.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:34 AM
And... I'm out

And you are complaining?

Aside from the posted pictures, i am on my 2nd Transmission which is being rebuilt...

My exhaust cracked below the muffler.

My exhaust rattled without a single heat shield on the car

My Exhaust Manifolds rattled because the previous owners ****ed up the heat shield near the o2s... which required replacing of either OEM of Aftermarket for them to go away...

the simple point is... I think the pictures do enough talking of the damages...

it is a car, for all we know you drive it like a mad man... and that is on you sir... a lot of a cars life is based on the way the driver takes care of it....
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone else totally disatisfied with their Maxi?-dsc03519.jpg   Is anyone else totally disatisfied with their Maxi?-dsc03650-2.jpg   Is anyone else totally disatisfied with their Maxi?-dsc03699-2.jpg  
Old 01-17-2008, 01:59 PM

Not a Lemon

Any references to a "Lemon" are inaccurate. In case you didn't read the Wikipedia link or are unfamiliar with what actually constitutes a lemon:
"Consumer protection legislation typically labels vehicles as "lemons" if the same problem recurs despite multiple repair attempts (such as three times in a row over a short period, where previous attempts have not fixed the problem) or where defects have caused a new vehicle to be out of service for a prolonged period (typically thirty days or longer) for repairs."

Your problems are probably related to what everyone else has already described.

BTW - No major problems with my car with my '03 and 86k miles.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:36 PM
No More Maxipad

i've had days where i love my maxima to death and days i wish i had something else. i love when it drives nice and smoothly but most of the time the ride is not smooth and there is a LOT of rattling everywhere. only sometimes will there be no rattling lol plus when accelerating sometimes i hear metal rattling at low rpm and road/wind noise is insane for this car =/ today is one of those days i hate her...filled her up and i only got 15.12mpg but with mostly city driving tho...when going from a stop she rattles at low rpm which is kind of embarassing when people look at you like wth is that sound lol... but i LOVE the power on this car so that kind of makes up for all the cons =/ my previous car was a 2000 accord v6 coupe and the ride was smooth and quiet even after it was lowered and never had a rattle o_O i can't wait to change my car tho lol
Old 01-17-2008, 05:29 PM

these things arent bullet proof. if you cant afford it, then you need to go buy a cheaper car like a civic or sentra.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Teufelhunden
these things arent bullet proof. if you cant afford it, then you need to go buy a cheaper car like a civic or sentra.
I can afford the car and fixes easily but they get annoying. I think my '93 Max was quieter than my '03, go figure. There are days I love the car and then I have to turn it or want it to handle and I know there isn't much I can do to fix FWD. 07-08 G35 Sport will be the next ride.

On the plus side I just had it realigned (3rd time in the last year) and all tires rebalanced and it feels much better. Does anyone else have a problem with the toe getting knocked out way too easily? I bought one of those unlimited alignments for 3 years deal and it's about to start saving me money ;-)

Last edited by ptviperz; 01-17-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM

i've had problems with the EVAP system, but i mean what do you expect? a used car isn't going to be completely trouble free. The maxima is a pretty solid quality car compared to most.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:57 AM

wikipedia is not a credible source = no care

I love my maxima despite the mpg and noise that I'm getting. Now I just crank the volume and bass up and drive it like I stole it with a free gas card.

So far I've only replaced both cv boots and both bank1 sensors. And an oil dip stick because nissan dealership forgot to put it back after oil change
Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How much is 125000 km, compared to miles, but some cars have quarks, and you got one with alot of quarks, i have a 2000 nissan maxima, and let me tell you i will not buy a car that is the first year, after they changed the body style, i have had to replace the ignition coils, mass airflow sensor, and starter, and that was around 75000 miles, but ever since then, the car has been smooth sailing
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 6SPD02SE
I would also like to say i have not had much luck with mine either. Oil consumption, rattle from engine during cold start, sunroof works intermitantly, replaced all shocks and struts, 3rd gear crunch in 6 speed, and the dreaded Bose CD player. My car only has 67,000 miles on it. I had a 98 Maxima a few years ago and loved it. After having this one i dont think ill be buying another. It will be either Acura or Lexus for me.
This sounds like my car exactly.....

Although I love my car, at 60k and five years - things are starting to get shaky.
The oil consumption issue and NNA's failure to even acknowledge my existence has totally convinced me that my next car will NOT be a Nissan.

gr
Old 01-19-2008, 01:31 PM

yeah thats a ton of problems for a quality rated car.. maximias are close to accords and camrys for reliability. but i am a lil worried that u said its a 02 SE 6 spd...; exactly what i have...but i have low miles and it's been driven down south. no sodium on the roads please!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i say lemon
Old 01-21-2008, 10:41 AM

I am just shy of 90K, and I just had the trans replaced, shortly followed by a starter and new rotors. Before that it was the cat. and o2 sensor. Today I have to have a new engine put in. My max is turning into a big money pit.

Last edited by Brunt182; 01-21-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Brunt182
I am just shy of 90K, and I just had the trans replaced. Today I have to have a new engine put in. My max is turning into a big money pit.

Looks like you have an 01??
What happened? Auto tranny? Bad piston rings??
Give us some details man....

gr
Old 01-21-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Looks like you have an 01??
What happened? Auto tranny? Bad piston rings??
Give us some details man....

gr
Auto tranny, started slipping, and hesitating to shift, so that needed replacement. Guys at the shop weren't positive on the cause of the engine problems, but he said the timing may have jumped. Something about the piston blew a hole in the engine. He said the compression was off in some of the valves, or something like that. I am no engine guy, so I apoligize for not having direct answers.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:25 AM

I have a 2K max w/ 128k and I've had a few problems (ignition coils, MAF, ECU upgrade, CAT) all in the same year! I also needed struts that year. Struts are probably general maintenance after 100K but since our cars have 4 struts it is an expensive general maintenance. I was pretty mad a couple yrs ago when it happened but it has been mostly fine sice then.

The only repair that really bothered me was the CAT. It cost $1,000 and all it did was turn the SES light off. No improved performance or looks or anything.

The repair that I haven't done that really bothers me is the paint. The nose and hood of my car look terrible! My last car was a Sentra that was older w/ more miles but the paint looked better than this Maxima. My biggest problem w/ this car righ now is the paint.

I don't think I made a bad mistake when I bought the car (I bought it new). But I'm not sure I would buy a Max again.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by HotMaxx02
Next Time Buy Spend twice as much and buy a MB or BMW if your expectations are that high. But if you are like most on this forum you smile at small OE failures and take them as an excuse to "Upgrade"
Perfect answer. I like the way you think. Sad thing for me is that my Max is running perfectly with no major problems so i cant use it as an excuse to upgrade lol . But other then Speaker problems, MPG and Changing my Bearings, my car has been problem free. So its either that you got unlucky with yours or your doing something wrong.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:55 PM

i've had some problems with mine but everything has been easy to fix. u juss got to listen closely lol
Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
retired moderator

I'm totally dissatisfied with this thread and its pointlessness.

So I'm closing it. Goodbye.