5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Hit granite curb at 25mph - what did I break?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hit granite curb at 25mph - what did I break?

We had a nasty snow storm earlier this week and I had to go to the dentist before the roads were cleared. On a winding road, there was someone parked on the side of the road, so in an attempt to avoid him, I lost control and hit the right-hand square granite curb at about 25 mph. My steering wheel was turned to the left when I made contact with the curb.

Immediately after, I noticed that my steering wheel was no longer centered. The car still tracks straight and I don't get any vibration at highway speeds.

When my steering is centered, my wheels look like this from the driver's seat: || //

Needless to say, my wheels are trashed. This is fine since I need new tires and I've been wanting to get G35 wheels+tires. It's been too cold for car work so I haven't had a chance to crawl underneath. What do you think I broke? tie rod? inner? outer?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:18 AM
No more Maximas...

No way to exactly tell without pictures, or you taking a look.

Chances are outer (possibly inner, too) tie rods are fscked. Could've done much more than that, though. I've seen bent shocks, control arms, etc from curb impacts.

Friend in his Cougar hit a curb at ~20MPH, his control arm was no longer flat, it was U-shaped...

In any case, pics would be best.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 AM

I would have it checked out by a good mechanic as soon as possible. You could have broken something that hasn't let go yet. You don't want to find out at 70+ miles per hour that something is wrong with your steering.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 AM

The rim is probably shot too.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by jkayca
The rim is probably shot too.
Originally Posted by phong
Needless to say, my wheels are trashed.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:28 AM
And... I'm out

When my steering is centered, my wheels look like this from the driver's seat: || //
You sure it doesn't look like this from back seat? //---]][[[.///

sorry...
Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Suspension Yoda

I would get the entire side fully inspected. Control arms, tie rod, hub, even the strut could be bent.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 AM

my first guess is that the control arm is bent, also, the inner tie rod. you will have to replace the wheel beering within about a year too since the impact most likely left a dent in the wheel bearing case.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

if your actual tire/rim is sitting at an angle on one side, but the other side is fine, most likely busted ball joint, tie rod and potentially control arm.. all expensive fix.

If you replace the tie rod and/or ball joint, make sure you replace both sides.

Originally Posted by nsnrider
my first guess is that the control arm is bent, also, the inner tie rod. you will have to replace the wheel beering within about a year too since the impact most likely left a dent in the wheel bearing case.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 AM

Sorry I did not mean to steal your threat! But I got a question I hit a curb too last week I was just going about 5-10km/hr (Canada), afterwards the front right wheel was twisted to the right and the steering wheel was out of center too, the rim (Stock 17") just a little scraped and tire are ok. Now I took it to the dealer for a aligment and the guy tells me that the control arm is bent, I did not belive him and went to see the car, I cannot see the difference between the right and left control arms, the guy, tells me is bent and I need to replaced "for only $700" and he'll be nice enough to get me a loaner, he also tells me the aligment would not get in range because the suspension is offline.......... I said no way, paid $80 for the "inspection and diagnosis" and took the car to mufflerman, the lift the car I ask them if the control arm is bent, they say NO and do the aligment, all measurements are within range and the car feels normal ( was like a boat before the aligment). I went back to the dealer and tell them the are full of B.S and wanted to sell me something I did not need and want my money back, the rep. tells me the manager will contact me later ( has not yet ).

Now if there is not a obvious damage to the control arm, and it looks in place the bolts holding it are perfect; the tie rod end, link bar and rim are fine ( I would imagine those would bend before the control arm) Is there a way to "measure" the control arm to determine if bent without taking it out, just with a visual inspection as they did at the dealer? I need arguments to get the money back, I nknow is not much money but I don't want to give them a penny.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Parthur; 02-05-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Suspension Yoda

BENT. The mf'ing correct word is BENT, not bended.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
BENT. The mf'ing correct word is BENT, not bended.

Sorry, ( about the grammar ) I fixed already!!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Cletus

its actually bendeded

Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
its actually bendeded

Originally Posted by Parthur
Now if there is not a obvious damage to the control arm, and it looks in place the bolts holding it are perfect; the tie rod end, link bar and rim are fine ( I would imagine those would bend before the control arm) Is there a way to "measure" the control arm to determine if bent without taking it out, just with a visual inspection as they did at the dealer? I need arguments to get the money back, I nknow is not much money but I don't want to give them a penny.
just because they were able to align the car does not mean the control arm is not bent. It is most likely be pushed back abit, meaning the distance between the center of the wheels on one side of the car will be less than the other side, they would still be able to align it as long as the camber and toe are in spec.

take a measuring line and mesure the centers of the hubs on both side, or go to a body shop and they can measure the ball joints underneath the car and would be able to tell you if the suspension as a whole is in spec in regards to the Nissan specs.

Many alignment shops just do the alignment so the numkbers match and never take the time to measure the suspension dimensions. (but I guess you didn't ask them to do it either). anyways, like i said, the easiest would be to measure the center of hub to center of hub (front and back) and compare to the other side, with wheels off.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 PM
retired moderator

before you go wth the control arm, which is a strong piece, first check to see if the strut is bent. Struts aren't particularly strong laterally, and I've bent one after hard contact with road debris on the highway.

The point of most likely failure is just above the lower mounting bracket on the strut. Even a 1-2 degree bend will throw your camber off big-time.

This is FAR more likely than bending a control arm. Control arms are cast iron. More likely to crack than bend.

Last edited by irish44j; 02-05-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 AM

[QUOTE=irish44j;6230890]before you go wth the control arm, which is a strong piece, first check to see if the strut is bent. Struts aren't particularly strong laterally, and I've bent one after hard contact with road debris on the highway.QUOTE]

Thanks guys for the help, As I said; When I looked under the car at the nissan dealer and mufflerman, nothing in the suspention looked off place or bent, the strut, tie rod, link bar were "fine" (visually). When I did the aligment the camber was not that bad, the major problem was the toe. Does it means something?
By the way the dealer called me and they want me to take the car back, they are going to "re-inspect" with their aligment machine and take it from there.
Any thoughts??
Old 02-06-2008, 04:36 AM
Suspension Yoda

Sounds like the dealer just wants your money, especially when they call you back.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 AM

I think the thread is pointless. How can someone diagnose your problems over a computer. You hit a curb... things are bent. Dont go to the dealer.. a good alignment shop will be able to tell you your problems. And they won't diagnose that by simply looking at it.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

FYI, when I hit a curb with my Passat a few years ago ( i hit a curb doing 60km/h), I ended up bending a rim, and blowing two tires. I thought I had damaged a tonne of stuff.

Anyhow, took it to my mechanic, we put it on the alignment rack, alignment was out big time.. but control arms were in spec, ball joints fine, struts were fine, tie rods were fine, axle was perfect.. we were stumped, how can the alignment be out, when everything lines up! Turned out that my SUBFRAME took the hit! It was pushed out of alignment.. to get the car to track straight, cost me $800 just for a new subframe!

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
I think the thread is pointless. How can someone diagnose your problems over a computer. You hit a curb... things are bent. Dont go to the dealer.. a good alignment shop will be able to tell you your problems. And they won't diagnose that by simply looking at it.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gotta love snow, don't ya? Hopefully you didn't crack something up real good, hope it turns out well for you.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

My first and only (so far ) encounter with a curb at an unspecified speed was a raped wheel, flat tire, destroyed LCA, and a bent strut. I replaced everything but the bent strut, and took it in for an alignment and they could not align it and concluded it was a bent strut. Replaced strut, all is well. Moral of the story: You may not find out all that is wrong right away, in my story, I thought I was done until I tried tog et it aligned.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 AM

When the 83 y/o lady turned in front of me in my S10.. i missed her but locked the brakes up and hit a curb. I broke a rim, blew 1 or 2 tires (cant remember), and the alignment shop said it was the tie rod end, spindle was bent, idler arm, etc. Same day i got the maxima.. then sold the truck!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:58 AM
dot dot dot ...

Spindle bending FTMFL. On first day of ownership = FTMFL^2 =
Old 02-06-2008, 12:05 PM

I honestly had the exact same thing happen to me. After it happened, I couldnt drive faster than 4-5 miles an hour and the car shook. I got it fixed and the damage was as follows:

Lower Control Arm
Steering Knuckle
Alignment
Had to get Wheel Redone.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Conecarver

Alignment diagnostics

Just found this link and thought I'd post for anybody doing a future search that might benefit.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 PM

So your saying, when i hit this curb... doing 55-60mph... and cracked my rim in HALF.. That i could have bent/broke something?!?! i have no alignment problems or anything.. just a flat, and a cracked rim in half.. maybe its because i hit it semi parallel to the tires.. Lucky...

Sorry for the crappy quality, i took them with my phone :P

Last edited by FlipCpt45; 03-11-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:10 AM

We had a nasty snow storm earlier this week and I had to go to the dentist before the roads were cleared. On a winding road, there was someone parked on the side of the road, so in an attempt to avoid him, I lost control and hit the right-hand square granite curb at about 25 mph. My steering wheel was turned to the left when I made contact with the curb.

Immediately after, I noticed that my steering wheel was no longer centered. The car still tracks straight and I don't get any vibration at highway speeds.

Needless to say, my wheels are trashed. This is fine since I need new tires and I've been wanting to get G35 wheels+tires. It's been too cold for car work so I haven't had a chance to crawl underneath. What do you think I broke? tie rod? inner? outer?

you messed up your alinement all u do it take it to sears and they fix it for 60 bucks
Old 03-12-2008, 08:52 AM

i agree.. alignment and thats it. no vibrations, and if the car doesn't want to turn by itself you did not bend your control arm.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i was in a similar situation not too long ago. i was goin around the same speed maybe a little faster. i ended up havin to replace my A arm, strut, and steering knuckle.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 PM

start of with an alignment and see what happens.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:03 PM

i also hit a curb today, however, my wheels "look fine", just a scratch on the alloy rims, however i noticed that the steering is slightly off...brought it up to highway speeds (80mph for me) and there was no vibration in the steering, cars does track slightly to the right but it did that before i bought it and it was supposedly fixed....could my "accident" (involved me serving to not hit a idiodic women on her cell phone) have caused this problem to happen again?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:21 PM

BUMP???

I hit a curb reeeal hard last night in my 2000 I30. The passenger wheel is sitting horizontal and both those rims are chewed up. Also, the car was leaking some sort of oil and wouldn't move (broken drive axel?) ... Think i'll have to report this to insurance...
Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 PM

I did the exact same thing you did, except going like 10 mph. My strut was completely destroyed, also I needed to replace my tie rod ends, but that was mostly cuz they were old. My control arms were perfectly fine, but I would def look at the strut, thats probably bent. And if the strut is bent then the mechanic won't be able to get the alignment with in spec.

EDIT: this is to OP, didn't realize that this thread was this old.