5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stillen rear sway bar hitting on lowered '02 SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Stillen rear sway bar hitting on lowered '02 SE

I've got the maxima lowered on TEIN SS and the car bottoms out into Stillen Rear Sway bar at times. I've determined its the front bracket (top corner) on the sway bar that sometimes hits against the under-side of the body. Bigger bumps and very often/easily when someone is in the backseat.

I'm wondering if anyone else with a similar setup has experienced this???
Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM

so the swaybar is making contact into the pavement? or the swaybar is hitting something?
if its the latter i find this odd because the rear beam is solid and travels with the rear suspension.. would need to see pics to know exactly the location your refering to...
Old 07-29-2008, 10:37 AM

Just take it off since you already have the coilovers.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:09 AM

AS I said, the top corner of the front bracket is hitting the underside of the body. This happens easily with weight in the backseat. Not hard, but you can hear it and a slight mark where its making contact. I'm thinkin of just hitting it w/ an air chisel quick to make clearance!

Originally Posted by IHAVEA2KMAXIMA
Just take it off since you already have the coilovers.
I put it on after the coilovers. It did make a noticeable difference. but I have thought about taking it off. I've also read its recommended to take off with sub-frame connectors.. and once/if I finally get the correct parts ....to install those then I will take it off for comparison.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 PM

uhhh, what? so if he had headers and a supercharger, would you tell him to just ditch his leaky headers cause he has a supercharger??? move the swaybar back. you can move it around, so if you just move it back it shouldnt hit anymore
Old 07-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by sunstream453
uhhh, what? so if he had headers and a supercharger, would you tell him to just ditch his leaky headers cause he has a supercharger??? move the swaybar back. you can move it around, so if you just move it back it shouldnt hit anymore
haha nice comparison Trevor! I have tried to move it around already.. can't go back much more because then the clamps dont fit correctly around the trailing arms! I might try to **** around with it some more once I get back home (couple weeks) but I was also starting this thread to see if anyone else had a similar experience??
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 PM

maybe you can snap some pics for us, something seems fishy here. maybe something all us stillen RSB owners should know
Old 07-29-2008, 02:00 PM

I can do that. But I won't be done working out of town and back home until the middle of August.... are you lowered sunstream??
Old 07-29-2008, 02:06 PM

I just personally think that your body roll is well controlled by the CO, so having the RSB wouldn't really make a HUGE difference to justisfy the extra $150. I'm no suspension guru but that's how I see it so please do correct me if I'm wrong. If you track and stuff then I'm sure you need all the gain you can. Its just a suggestion.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:19 PM

yeah on D2's.

ihavea2kmaxima, you can feel the difference even with coilovers. its not night and day like going stock to coilovers is, but you can certainly feel it. i wouldnt take my stillen RSB off, unless i got SFC's and that dictated the removal, thats for sure
Old 07-30-2008, 05:23 AM

It does help and was noticeably better (less understeer) after installing it. And I bought It with the FSTB from an .org member so the cost was more reasonable than new as well!
And like I said.. if i ever get the correct remaining parts and some good customer service for my SFC's then I will take the sway bar off.. at least for comparison.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
I've got the maxima lowered on TEIN SS and the car bottoms out into Stillen Rear Sway bar at times. I've determined its the front bracket (top corner) on the sway bar that sometimes hits against the under-side of the body. Bigger bumps and very often/easily when someone is in the backseat.

What you will need to do is install Midsection "D" bushings with U-clamps onto the rear axle (same as ADDco & Progress) and it will really become more effective and noticeable more rigid. That hang down, free floating sway bar never really made sense to me.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:38 AM
retired moderator

It does help and was noticeably better (less understeer) after installing it. And I bought It with the FSTB from an .org member so the cost was more reasonable than new as well!
And like I said.. if i ever get the correct remaining parts and some good customer service for my SFC's then I will take the sway bar off.. at least for comparison.

I've never had problems with my Stillen RSB contacting anything, and I've had it on there for almost 5 years with 4 different suspension setups.

As to RSB on with SFCs.....the SFCs do not greatly effect oversteer/understeer. I wouldn't take the RSB off personally. btw, I have SFCs..
Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
What you will need to do is install Midsection "D" bushings with U-clamps onto the rear axle (same as ADDco & Progress) and it will really become more effective and noticeablY more rigid. That hang down, free floating sway bar never really made sense to me.
Have you done this to your Stillen RSB then and where do I get the bushings (ES or Progress)?? My buddy questioned the whole sway bar design/setup and its effectiveness when we installed it.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the STILLEN RSB and/or mounts between a 5gen and a 5.5 gen?

Thanks for the input so far as well!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 AM

the stillen v. addco debate has happened plenty of times by now, with the point being they have the same result. stillen bar is more rigid, but fewer attachment points, addco is less stiff with more attachment points. its like taking 2 paths to the same place, one through a nice looking neighborhood with bad people ad the other through a bad looking neighborhood with good people
Old 08-01-2008, 10:15 AM

haha very nice comparison sunstream. So If i have the rigid stillen and add the middle bushings (more attachment points) as stated by CMax03... that would be the ultimate best? I can go through the good looking neighborhood with Good people.
But I still need to make some change to deal with my contact problem. So once I'm home from this summer job and have time (possibly after vacation) then I'll dig in!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:34 AM

Either adjust superior swaybar so it doesn't hit or raise your car up some, maybe you can rotate that bracket or it's hdw 180 degrees to clear your dropped chassis! OR JUST INVEST IN A TRADITIONAL 4 POINT SWAYBAR WITH OVER ENGINEERED HDW, FIT & FINISH! (PROGRESS TECHNOLOGIES)
Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 AM

i couldnt say for sure, ive never really taken any account of the stillen bar dynamics and as far as i know nobody has done the extra attachments thing on their stillen to provide real life feedback.

cmax, you do realize that progress is no better than stillen right? two different means to the same end. how many different ways does it need to be said?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 PM

i couldnt say for sure, ive never really taken any account of the stillen bar dynamics and as far as i know nobody has done the extra attachments thing on their stillen to provide real life feedback.

cmax, you do realize that progress is no better than stillen right? two different means to the same end. how many different ways does it need to be said?
just one more time!
Old 08-01-2008, 04:20 PM

I know alot of dynamic torsion is being lost with the mid section bushing missing. The mechanical leverage would be greater. Next time you tighten a fastener with an extension, socket and ratchet, use one hand at the end of the handle and tell me how easy your torque was applied to the fastener compared to using two hands! One one ratchet handle( the control arm) and the other on the extension(mid sectional bushing)!
Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 PM

please research the topic and report back when you know WTF youre talking about
Old 08-01-2008, 10:46 PM

Is that for me? If so your doors only have one hinge @ your house and still open as easy as doors with 3 hinges! I don't need to study mechanical engineering again, I've done it already! Next time you need to torque that imfamous jesus nut on top of a Bell 206 (helicopter)to 250 ft lbs with one hand! You don't get it, do you?
Old 08-02-2008, 01:16 PM

I have seen many of CMax03's posts, and I can vouch that he knows what he's talking about. So if I were you, I would STFU!
Old 08-02-2008, 05:37 PM
retired moderator

having driven identically-setup maxima with both Stillen and Progress/Addco RSBs, I can honestly say there there is NO difference. The stiffness of the Stillen bar offsets the lack of center clamps. I would not add center clamps to a Stillen bar unless you like excessive oversteer...
Old 08-02-2008, 06:39 PM

Mine is dropped on eibachs and I have the RSB from stillen. I dont have any issues. Mine is not the 2k nor do I have the coilovers though. Sorry to hear you're having issues.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:11 AM

research means read the many threads on the subject. if you had done so, irish would not have had to offer his input to show you. i understand how you are confused here, but in your mech degree i thought you would have had to take a strength of materials class, i know i did. if you did, you understand that a solid bar (stillen) is stiffer than a tube (addco/progress) and that some materials are also inherently stiffer than others. obviously, if you clamped a stillen to the beam it would be stiffer, but equivalently if you replace the addco bar with a stillen it would be stiffer. do you get it?
Old 08-03-2008, 01:58 PM

weird..... i'm also running tein's SS and i'm lowered on G35 19" i had to roll my fenders and trim the bumper edge inside the fender well to stop the rubbing.

check their PDF to make sure its mounted right.

http://www.stillen.com/product_files/304200~inst.pdf
Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 AM

Tube???

research means read the many threads on the subject. if you had done so, irish would not have had to offer his input to show you. i understand how you are confused here, but in your mech degree i thought you would have had to take a strength of materials class, i know i did. if you did, you understand that a solid bar (stillen) is stiffer than a tube (addco/progress) and that some materials are also inherently stiffer than others. obviously, if you clamped a stillen to the beam it would be stiffer, but equivalently if you replace the addco bar with a stillen it would be stiffer. do you get it?
Sorry Buddy! Get your facts straight.... Their RSB's are solid (Progress, Addco) measuring 7/8" in diameter! The Stillen is tubular from my understanding....
Old 08-04-2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
having driven identically-setup maxima with both Stillen and Progress/Addco RSBs, I can honestly say there there is NO difference. The stiffness of the Stillen bar offsets the lack of center clamps. I would not add center clamps to a Stillen bar unless you like excessive oversteer...
I'd install the mid sectional bushings and remove the rear arm bracket, using only the fronts brackets and utilizing the 4 multiple holes to have greater adjustment range. How thick is the Stillen RSB?
Old 08-04-2008, 01:00 AM

Are you sure those two(2) top bolts are installed correctly? Bolt heads should be inboard, if not, the bolt will contact the body especially on a lowered vehicle!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Talyan03
weird..... i'm also running tein's SS and i'm lowered on G35 19" i had to roll my fenders and trim the bumper edge inside the fender well to stop the rubbing.

check their PDF to make sure its mounted right.

http://www.stillen.com/product_files/304200~inst.pdf
I'm not rubbing like you were.. thats due to oversized wheels. And thanks for the installation PDF link! It's helpful b/c I never had one during installation.. but the RSB is mounted properly.

Originally Posted by CMax03
Are you sure those two(2) top bolts are installed correctly? Bolt heads should be inboard, if not, the bolt will contact the body especially on a lowered vehicle!
Those two bolts aren't hitting anything! As I've said several times. It's the top front corner of the front bracket that is hitting the underside of the body. There are marks where contact is being made. I will be back home on Friday and hope to have time to check everything out again; possibly try to slide the brackets back if there is room for adjustment.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 AM

Those two bolts aren't hitting anything! As I've said several times. It's the top front corner of the front bracket that is hitting the underside of the body. There are marks where contact is being made. I will be back home on Friday and hope to have time to check everything out again; possibly try to slide the brackets back if there is room for adjustment.
how far from the bolts is that? maybe you can grind it down? also, could you just move the bar? i though you could slide the stillen bar back and forth
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gemner
how far from the bolts is that? maybe you can grind it down? also, could you just move the bar? i though you could slide the stillen bar back and forth
Accumulating posts I see....
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 AM

no, that was a serious suggestion
Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM

Congratulations, now you have 15!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:30 PM

and you still have a suggestion.........

PS: now i have 16. i bet some time later ill have 17...
Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
Not much of a suggestion.
How far from the bolts is WHAT??? Sure I could grind down the corner that is hitting but that's not what I asked in the original Post. And you cannot "slide" the bar back and forth. There are a couple different holes for your setup, but no sliding involved.

Thanks though! I've seen your other pre-15 post "suggestions" as well and I'm sure those were very insightful to the thread starter!
Old 08-04-2008, 01:58 PM

i guess i should say it better. i can slide my stillen RSB, so you can do the same. also, there are several bolt options (there is 1 suggested, but many available) of which maybe one would give you no contact. try stiffening up your springs, it sounds like youve got too soft of ride on the coilovers and youre practically bottoming out