5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Loose front wheel nut

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Loose front wheel nut

I was wondering if anyone knew if theres a TSB about the center nut on the front right wheel? I noticed my brakes grinding, and thinking that the pads wore down, decided to take the rim off and inspect it. To my amazment the wheel assembly was loose. Upon further inspection i noticed that the large nut that holds that assembly together was completely loose and the only thing keeping my rim from flying off the car was a metal pin holding that nut from completely leaving the car. So obviously a Huge safety flaw in my eyes, and i've never heard of this ever happening to anyone i know. And for those wondering, which I would assume that I would get the questions, no major accidents that would cause major front end damage, and no one has ever worked on that part of my car. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old 09-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Assumption: Front bearing is going bad or has already gone bad.

You have more issues than just tightening the hub nut.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Had any recent trans or axle work done?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:46 PM

As I recall - that massive NUT should be torqued to some obscene spec, like 185 lb/ft. ++
What could make that thing come loose, is beyond me...

Not good.

gr
Old 09-04-2008, 08:18 PM

Mine comes loose all the time as well...Maybe every 7000 miles, or so. What I did after the second time, is just LocTite the heck out of it, tighten it down with my impact, and kept on eye on it...So far, so good. Next time you get your tires rotated-or if you do it yourself-this should take you no longer than an extra 5 minutes.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:11 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by flatcat19
Mine comes loose all the time as well...Maybe every 7000 miles, or so. What I did after the second time, is just LocTite the heck out of it, tighten it down with my impact, and kept on eye on it...So far, so good. Next time you get your tires rotated-or if you do it yourself-this should take you no longer than an extra 5 minutes.
How are you torquing it down that it keeps coming loose? At the proper torque specs, I've never had one come loose...ever.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

240 lb-ft and Loctite Red ftw.

Mine loosened up and ate one of the bearings and the ABS teeth on the axle. Only thing I can figure is the car had very new brake pads when I bought the car, so maybe they repacked the bearings and didn't use a new locknut when they put it back together.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by 20maxima01
I was wondering if anyone knew if theres a TSB about the center nut on the front right wheel? I noticed my brakes grinding, and thinking that the pads wore down, decided to take the rim off and inspect it. To my amazment the wheel assembly was loose. Upon further inspection i noticed that the large nut that holds that assembly together was completely loose and the only thing keeping my rim from flying off the car was a metal pin holding that nut from completely leaving the car. So obviously a Huge safety flaw in my eyes, and i've never heard of this ever happening to anyone i know. And for those wondering, which I would assume that I would get the questions, no major accidents that would cause major front end damage, and no one has ever worked on that part of my car. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
If the whole wheel is moving then yes, your front axle bearing most be shot to sh*t. The wheel can't come off unless you've installed one of those hub/bearing assemblies lately, cause when they install those the outer snapring can not be installed unless the bearing and hub are installed separately! Torque for wheel bearing lock nut (188-245 ft-lbs). I doubt if the air tool your using is providing enough torque please torque with an actual torque wrench. I would also inspect for wear or damaged threads! Don't forget your cotter pin either.....
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by CMax03
If the whole wheel is moving then yes, your front axle bearing most be shot to sh*t. The wheel can't come off unless you've installed one of those hub/bearing assemblies lately, cause when they install those the outer snapring can not be installed unless the bearing and hub are installed separately! Torque for wheel bearing lock nut (188-245 ft-lbs). I doubt if the air tool your using is providing enough torque please torque with an actual torque wrench. I would also inspect for wear or damaged threads! Don't forget your cotter pin either.....
If the axle nut was backed off, then it's normal for the whole hub assembly to have a lot of play.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
If the axle nut was backed off, then it's normal for the whole hub assembly to have a lot of play.
No it's not normal! The axle nut doesn't hold the hub in...the 2 snaprings and the interference fit of the bearing/spindle/hub support the bearing and maximum axial play of the bearing is .002". If your hub/bearing is that loose you must be making a hell of a lot of grinding noise...Time for a new bearing, head on to NAPA they'll supply you with the same exact bearing the stealership sells for half the price!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:35 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by CMax03
No it's not normal! The axle nut doesn't hold the hub in...the 2 snaprings and the interference fit of the bearing/spindle/hub support the bearing and maximum axial play of the bearing is .002". If your hub/bearing is that loose you must be making a hell of a lot of grinding noise...Time for a new bearing, head on to NAPA they'll supply you with the same exact bearing the stealership sells for half the price!
Tell you what...back off one of your axle nuts, and tell me there isn't any play there that wasn't there before.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
Tell you what...back off one of your axle nuts, and tell me there isn't any play there that wasn't there before.
Look dude! I just removed both knuckle assys and the original bearings were just starting to growl just a little and there was no play radially nor axially... Again if your hubs are wobbling that much your risking your life and whomever else rides with you! The limit for axial play is .002" as per the FSM. Riding like that will not only be dangerous but quite expense on your tires and suspension ($$$$$$)