5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Am I screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 11:00 AM

Am I screwed?

I got rear ended, didn't wait for the cops to come, i got all the guys information, except insurance, because he told me that he couldn't find it.. I got his cell, address, license plate, drivers license #.. and i snapped some pics of both cars, but didn't get much detail.. nothing happened to his truck other than the license plate bending... but my car's trunk lid is bent, and the bumper is eff'd... Am i completely screwed because i was a dumbass and didn't wait for the cops to show up?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:08 AM

ya, i think you need a police report to show the insurance company.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mymaxi41691
What if i got the insurance number from him?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 AM

i always call the cops, its best thing and its proof if the other guy tries to pull something
Old 10-05-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by FlipCpt45
What if i got the insurance number from him?

man, im really not sure. But from a lot of stories iv heard/read people call cops for police reports to show their insurance company. Why don't you call your insurance company and see what they say.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:48 AM

It is always best to call the police when you are in an accident. If you don't it doesn't necessarily mean that you will get screwed, but it is more likely that you will than if you had called the cops.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:06 PM

so pretty much im going to be paying this out of pocket.. how much does a trunk lid, and bumper usually cost? :P
Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 PM

it depends on how honest the other guy is. I am not sure what their insurance company will do but i at least in Utah if the damage looks to be over $500 or over you should call the cops.

I was rear ended once and didnt see the need to involve the police because it was pretty minor. I called the lady's insurance and they didn't give me any problems about there not being a police report or anything like that
Old 10-05-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Feldman
it depends on how honest the other guy is. I am not sure what their insurance company will do but i at least in Utah if the damage looks to be over $500 or over you should call the cops.

I was rear ended once and didnt see the need to involve the police because it was pretty minor. I called the lady's insurance and they didn't give me any problems about there not being a police report or anything like that
The guy told me he was a national guard, and he told me that he couldn't find his insurance card, he said he would pay for it, told me to get an estimate, and gave me his cell #, which is his real number, i called him and asked for his insurance #, and he said that he would have to look for it, and i asked him to give me a call when he does... We'll see, I'm done kicking my own *** for my stupid *** decisions today, I've learned a good lesson, and I'll be pushing my saved suspension money towards repairing my car/my own actions.. again.. :P
Old 10-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Depends on the state you live in. In mass. you don't have to call the cops. Just get drivers info and license plate number if you forget to get insurance info. You also took pics so you should be fine. If someone rear ends you they are at fault so you should be fine.......
Old 10-05-2008, 01:42 PM

The guy told me he was a national guard, and he told me that he couldn't find his insurance card, he said he would pay for it, told me to get an estimate, and gave me his cell #, which is his real number, i called him and asked for his insurance #, and he said that he would have to look for it, and i asked him to give me a call when he does... We'll see, I'm done kicking my own *** for my stupid *** decisions today, I've learned a good lesson, and I'll be pushing my saved suspension money towards repairing my car/my own actions.. again.. :P
Why do you think he won't pay? Many people do and I hope he is one of them.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 PM

i dont think it matters if you call the cops,when my car got hit when it was parked outside,they said they only come if one of the cars is undriveable and blocking traffic or suttin
Old 10-05-2008, 02:03 PM

Your not screwed... Get the estimates and give the guy a call. I'm sure if he is in the national guard he is going to pay and is somewhat of an honest person. He probably doesnt want you to have his insurance info so you dont file a claim on his insurance and have his rates go up. If he doesnt pay, then take him to small claims court and sue for Damage to the vehicale, court cost, and any lost wages you may have incurred. It'll be an open and shut case with all the evidence you have. More than likely the guy will pay though. Next time I would certainly wait for the police though. The guy could have waited for you to leave and turned around and called the cops and said you left the scene of an accident. Then you could be screwed.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:02 PM

or if he doesn't answer your phone call, then go to the police station in the town it happend and fille a complaint for hit/run against him.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:11 PM

just go to the police station and fill out an accident report thats what we do in mass you should be able to do the same
Old 10-05-2008, 03:14 PM

I live in Ny and I totalled my moms honda odyssey on the parkway. It was during a bad ice storm and there was a four car pile up ahead and all the police when over there to help them out. Parkway was closed because of the high number of accidents sat there for 5 hours the police never came. It happened to all work out in the end would up being the guy I hit's fault becuase he was speeding and went sideways into my lane when he hit the brakes. I think you'll be alright.

btw, I got rear ended and was paid cash. The damage was about 1500-1700 I needed my trunk lid streightened and a new bumper and taillights. Hope everything works well for you. Pics would be good for people to help gauge the costs
Old 10-05-2008, 05:58 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by mymaxi41691
Not in Texas. All the cops did when I got rearended was to make sure we exchanged information, make sure a tow truck was on the way for the other driver's car and to block traffic so I could get my car turned around (got hit in the right lane and was knocked across two lanes of traffic onto the left shoulder facing oncoming traffic). The cops don't make a report unless there are injuries requiring medical treatment, damage to public property or one of the drivers is obviously under the influence.

If he didn't have an insurance card though, call the cops and wait. They will either verify his insurance coverage or ticket him for having no insurance. He will either have to cough up his information to get out of the ticket or he really doesn't have insurance.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
Not in Texas. All the cops did when I got rearended was to make sure we exchanged information, make sure a tow truck was on the way for the other driver's car and to block traffic so I could get my car turned around (got hit in the right lane and was knocked across two lanes of traffic onto the left shoulder facing oncoming traffic). The cops don't make a report unless there are injuries requiring medical treatment, damage to public property or one of the drivers is obviously under the influence.

If he didn't have an insurance card though, call the cops and wait. They will either verify his insurance coverage or ticket him for having no insurance. He will either have to cough up his information to get out of the ticket or he really doesn't have insurance.
Yeah, i got everything except the insurance..
Old 10-05-2008, 07:01 PM

I dont think your screwed, you just have a few more calls to make. Get his info and call the police. You have his contact info, just give call him and get the ins info. I dont think its illegal to drive without an insurance card.
In Virginia the police dont fill out a report unless damage exceeds $1200. I didn't know they were trained in auto body estimates, but it's their call at the scene.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:18 PM

I got rear ended, didn't wait for the cops to come, i got all the guys information, except insurance, because he told me that he couldn't find it.. I got his cell, address, license plate, drivers license #.. and i snapped some pics of both cars, but didn't get much detail.. nothing happened to his truck other than the license plate bending... but my car's trunk lid is bent, and the bumper is eff'd... Am i completely screwed because i was a dumbass and didn't wait for the cops to show up?
you file a report that he (the other driver) wouldn't provide proof of insurance to you...That's an automatic ticket and possible warrant for arrest! That's what I'd do. Last time I got hit it was by Enrique Smith and my first thought was to call the cops cause I felt the name didn't match the ethnicity! I didn't wanna be a racist but I was right it was a fake ID!!! So file and surprise the crap out of him....

Last edited by CMax03; 10-05-2008 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:43 PM

in ny you would be you have to call them.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:33 PM

Pretty bad? :P
Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 PM

That doesnt look too bad, but it still stinks. I'd say $1100 and 3 days in the shop for a new bumper cover and body work on the trunk. Provided the gap is just the bumper cover buckling away from the body.
Here's a thought:
I was told at my local Nissan that you cant buy the AE lip without the bumper cover. So if this is true, try and get Ins money for both and just use your old lip on a standard bumper cover. Or, buy the set and sell your old lip.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by rvamaxima
That doesnt look too bad, but it still stinks. I'd say $1100 and 3 days in the shop for a new bumper cover and body work on the trunk. Provided the gap is just the bumper cover buckling away from the body.
Here's a thought:
I was told at my local Nissan that you cant buy the AE lip without the bumper cover. So if this is true, try and get Ins money for both and just use your old lip on a standard bumper cover. Or, buy the set and sell your old lip.
Guy has no insurance, and is broke off his ***. Got an estimate, 2.8k from two places one being the dealership i bought the car from... and 1.8k from a body collision place that gave a rough look.. Basically its between 2-3k.. Trunk lid is bent to the point where it can't be repaired... Supposedly the bumper support absorber beam or w.e is broken and needs to be replaced.. :P

On a good note, i test drove a 09 Maxima, and those things are a BEAST! but the body style is a little to curvy for my taste.. Maybe i can convince my parents to trade in the max for the 2006 6spd Touring 350z w/ 30k on it Pshh, i wish.. lolz

Last edited by FlipCpt45; 10-06-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 PM

daaaaamn .. thts why cops should always be called. good luck man.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Czerkas
daaaaamn .. thts why cops should always be called. good luck man.
Man, even if the cops did show up, they would have just given him a ticket, and i still most likely wouldn't have gotten anything... Hes still giving me his "word" that he would come up with the money.. or get some insurance or w.e, but isn't that kinda insurance fraud? I've already come to the worst case scenario and figured I'm probably going to end up paying for this out my own pocket :P

Maybe its time to find another car.. or maybe I'm just bad luck.. my car has been rear ended about 4 times already :P

Last edited by FlipCpt45; 10-06-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Well I'm from dallas and the cops don't come out for accidents but you should have gotten his insurance info. You may still be ok if all the info you got was good try to call him and get the insurance information and file the claim. Good luck I hope things work out
Old 10-06-2008, 10:41 PM

your maxie is too attractive that everyone want a piece of that rear end.

doesn't really matter even if police report was filed. if he doesnt want to pay there's really nothing much you can do about it except sue. you have pictures of the collision and info from the other driver, i'm sure it'll hold up in court when it comes to the worst case scenario of actually going to court. Just go get an estimate and get it fixed ASAP before the dude find loop holes and back out or something. make sure you got to a rep-able shop though.