5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link - Interest Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Rochester
Why is that, please? Honestly, the STS mod sometimes makes it possible to shift too quickly. I'm not sure how much quicker I'd want to shift. So what's the connection between smoother shifting and an engine that's locked down?

I'm giving consideration to this ETL because of the improvements realized by solid poly mounts. More of that would be nice.

(I'm all for improved shifting... now if you could magically make the infamous 3rd-gear-crunch go away, then you'd really have something!)
I can't help with the 3rd gear syncro problem. But whenever you have an engine that stays perfectly still, it makes the shifts feel so much more instant and easier. On an automatic, the shifts get much smoother and snappier. With an engine that moves, the shifts feel rough and bang into place b/c of the stock engine mounts being maxed out.

But the Engine Torque Link does not have anything to do with a short throw shifter. But it should make it easier for you to aggressively shift into the next gear since the engine and transmission stay where they are suppose to be. With an engine and transmission that moves excessively, the shifts will feel a bit harsh. But when they are still, you won't feel a bang going into the next gear.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
Are you motor mounts in good shape?
probably not.. lol.. i got the car at 49k, and i was just learning to drive a stick at that point, so the mounts have taken a beating.. now the car is at 80k, and i haven't touched them.. you think i should swap those out?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by wyche89
probably not.. lol.. i got the car at 49k, and i was just learning to drive a stick at that point, so the mounts have taken a beating.. now the car is at 80k, and i haven't touched them.. you think i should swap those out?
Well, it depends how the motor mounts look. 80K miles isn't a lot. But, if you live in a dry environment and have been racing your car a lot, then it's possible they could be bad. The best way to tell is to look for tears in the rubber. Also, you can look at how much the engine moves when you rev it. It's easier if you have an automatic and you can rev the engine while holding the brake in gear.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by wyche89
ES Motor Mount Bushings are the best mod I've done on my 6MT, replaced them this Spring at 48K miles. The poly bushings and the FSTB keep the car much more planted coming strong out of a turn. More horsepower is always nice, but even better when you use it efficiently. I am so much more enjoying my car now, more so than the day I bought it new 7 years ago. That's why I'm watching this tread.

"...you think i should swap those out?"

Yes. I know you're asking Aaron, but here's another opinion. Do it.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:30 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Just a little update. The torque link is finally nearing completion. We hope to release them for sale this Friday on the NWP Engineering website.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:02 PM

Exciting stuff. Will there be any modifications from the original presented product?
Old 06-17-2009, 06:19 PM

Im running the vq in my 04 sentra, I'm interested if the mounting points will work.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by MIK3
Exciting stuff. Will there be any modifications from the original presented product?
The brackets will look a LOT cleaner. And the NWP logo will be engraved in the lower bracket. The faces of the brackets will be fully machined as well for a smooth surface.

I was hesitant to post the picture above of one of the prototypes b/c of how bad it looked.

Originally Posted by 04flspecv
Im running the vq in my 04 sentra, I'm interested if the mounting points will work.
I doubt the bolt holes in the lower bracket will line up to your Sentra. This kit utilizes stock bolt hole locations found in the chassis of the 02-03 Maxima. But if you will be at MAXUS 09, you can try to test fit it for free to see if you can get it to work in your Sentra.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:51 PM

unfortunately, i won't be able to. hmm. do you have any pics of where its gonna mount to?
Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by 04flspecv
unfortunately, i won't be able to. hmm. do you have any pics of where its gonna mount to?
Yes. You can find one on post #27. Let me know if that's what you were looking for.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:20 AM

Just a little update. The torque link is finally nearing completion. We hope to release them for sale this Friday on the NWP Engineering website.
have you been able to test fit on the 00-01 yet?
Old 06-18-2009, 09:01 AM

This will probably be my next mod since my last one was more of a cosmetic mod(6kHIDS)...

Aaron92SE, I really like how you answer everyone's questions and also provide any helpful hints.

The quality looks top notch already! Can't wait to buy another quality product from NWP Engineering.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:01 AM

Looks great. All of his products are useful.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by dwade27
have you been able to test fit on the 00-01 yet?
I'm sorry, no I haven't. But, I will probably be able to easily test fit one on a 00-01 Maxima during MAXUS 09 next weekend. Once I am able to test it for myself, then I will determine if it fits or not to my satisfaction.

Originally Posted by MaximusMorpheus
This will probably be my next mod since my last one was more of a cosmetic mod(6kHIDS)...

Aaron92SE, I really like how you answer everyone's questions and also provide any helpful hints.

The quality looks top notch already! Can't wait to buy another quality product from NWP Engineering.
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 PM

Hey Aaron any plans to release this for us 6 gens?
Old 06-19-2009, 08:08 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by slvrmax7
Hey Aaron any plans to release this for us 6 gens?
Yes, definitely. We already have a test vehicle lined up too.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:45 AM
NWP Engineering.com

The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Bracing Kit is now in stock and ready for immediate shipment. Please visit our thread in the Vendor's section:

http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...now-stock.html

If you have any product or development specific questions, please feel free to post them here. Please ask all sales oriented questions in our vendor thread linked above or contact me directly.

The price has been set a little higher than originally anticipated. This was due to several very large increases in raw material and machining costs.

Thank you for all your support! See you at MAXUS 09!
Old 06-21-2009, 05:59 AM

I just read through your PDF instructions. This really is a brilliantly simple design effort. Well done. Can't wait to read opinions on its use. In particular, I'm waiting to hear opinions from the daily drivers. (If I were a weekend racer, I'd be reaching for my credit card right now.)
Old 06-23-2009, 04:53 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

First off, installation is easy, and simple. Very user friendly, any only takes a few tools. Oh and it really sets off the engine bay, I can’t believe that spot was so empty before! This is def at must have for all 5.5 gens!!

While letting the car warm up, I was trying to see if any vibrations in the steering wheel was increased, on my car (02 6speed) I noticed a very minimal increase in vibration at idle, but I revd in neutral some and could tell a small increase in vibrations while the car was not moving.

So then It was time for the test drive! Taking off felt smoother, sometimes I could feel my motor moving when I would take off, (talking about a normal take off here, not “launching”). But when launching harshly I noticed far less wheel hop and spinning, I can feel this TQ link shaving my 60ft times down!

The shift to second felt a little more solid. That was until I slammed into second gear! That is where I noticed a biggest difference; there was almost no wheel spin (before if I slammed 2ed it would spin horribly).

I also tested in a 02 automatic maxima, its almost the same as 6spd but it make a nice difference with the auto, the shifts when your at WOT are a lot more solid! Same with the wheel spin, its reduced also! I would say it’s a MUST have for automatics!

I have this TQ link hooked up all the time, for me I like it! I feel more “in tune” with my car when its hooked up, the increased vibrations is not really enough to bother me at all, its not even that noticeable.

Overall 10 out of 10 , another Amazing NWP product!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:57 PM

glad to hear your review of it.. i'll be looking more into it soon
Old 06-23-2009, 07:44 PM

I was very interested in your review, SurraTT. Thanks for posting your opinions. That you're planning on driving with it connected all the time is encouraging.

Regarding the added engine vibration through the chassis because of the torque link... are you running stock engine mount bushings? ES bushings pushed the comfort level right to the edge. Not quite over the edge, but darn close. As it turns out, the vibration was an acceptable compromise. So one of my concerns on this device is how much more vibration it adds... if any, when matched with solid poly bushings.

Aaron, any opinion on your toque link when matched with ES bushings?

The thing that nags at me is the total rigidity of the linkage bar. There's no give, the way engine mounts flex because of the material design. I can't help but wonder if bolts would eventually get ripped out of their threads with this torque link.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-24-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: more details
Old 06-24-2009, 07:00 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I was very interested in your review, SurraTT. Thanks for posting your opinions. That you're planning on driving with it connected all the time is encouraging.

Regarding the added engine vibration through the chassis because of the torque link... are you running stock engine mount bushings? ES bushings pushed the comfort level right to the edge. Not quite over the edge, but darn close. As it turns out, the vibration was an acceptable compromise. So one of my concerns on this device is how much more vibration it adds... if any, when matched with solid poly bushings.

Aaron, any opinion on your toque link when matched with ES bushings?

The thing that nags at me is the total rigidity of the linkage bar. There's no give, the way engine mounts flex because of the material design. I can't help but wonder if bolts would eventually get ripped out of their threads with this torque link.
That's why we've tested this torque link so thoroughly before releasing it to the public. Also, just the fact that we're making the product, NWP Engineering; you can trust that we fully stand behind all our products.

But, I'm not sure why you want movement of your engine. I've been driving around for several years with my personal VE30DE engine 100% locked into place. This car is my daily driver too. I have polyurethane filled engine and transmission mounts, plus two separate torque links that I made myself. The less the engine moves, the better it will be for performance. But now that I have a VQ35DE swapped into my 92 Maxima, I have not made a solid torque link for it. But I desperately need to. Even with the custom polyurethane engine and transmission mounts, it's still not enough.

If you install the torque link and are not happy with it in anyway, as long as you don't scratch it up or anything, I will be willing to accept a return. I'm positive you will be happy with the product design and quality. It's drastically over engineered as far as strength. The bolts definitely will not get ripped out or sheered. We utilized 4 mounting points on the lower bracket. We could have easily gotten away with only 2. But, when we design something, we want to go overboard with strength and durability so no customers have to ever deal with anything breaking. Have you heard of one of our spacers breaking under high HP application? Not at all. We could have easily skimped on material quality which would have saved us a lot of money. But we chose a very expensive type of phenolic, which is also very tough to machine. It is resistant to most chemicals and will easily outlast the life of your engine.

But as far as increased vibrations, that varies from car to car and from driver to driver. There's no way for me to know how sensitive you are or how 'in tuned' you are with your car. But, NWP Engineering always stands by their products. If you aren't happy, just let me know.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:29 AM

Thanks, Aaron. A return policy on the Torque Link is a fantastic way to address risk on consumer acceptance. It works for me. I'm sure there will be a lot more opinions posted here after Maxus09.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks, Aaron. A return policy on the Torque Link is a fantastic way to address risk on consumer acceptance. It works for me. I'm sure there will be a lot more opinions posted here after Maxus09.
Oh yeah definitely. There will be a lot more people interested during the MAXUS 09 Drag Showdown.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Installed it yesterday. Very easy to install. Wheel hop has drastically decreased. Plan on taking it to the track tomorrow night for some real experimenting. I like the fact that I can leave it on full-time. I did notice; however, increased vibration while driving. Noticeable, but not bad at all. The wife definitely noticed it. Probably because she drives like a grandma. LOL.
I am going to put another turn on the link to see if the vibration decreases. Anyway, a well designed piece. Money well spent!!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:50 AM

Maxus needs to get here so we can confirm 00-01 fitment. but i already think it will fit funds are just low.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:17 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Thanks for the review!

MAXUS 09 is here! Today is Friday!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Thanks for the review!

MAXUS 09 is here! Today is Friday!
Enjoy!!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 AM

if a kit is released for 4th gen maximas im in there like swimwear!!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:24 AM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Revo75
http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...on-review.html
Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by Revo75
You are in luck then!

The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link Kit fits all 95-03 Maximas.
http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenol...tml#TorqueLink

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:39 PM

Aaron this is awesome, and I am def going to order one soon.

How well do you think the bar will handle higher HP applications? say 500whp or so.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 PM

If you guys would have came to Maxus 09' it was available for $140...lol, I have had mine since Maxus and i love it, once i seen it available on the NWP site I was so excited I tracked Aaron down pulled him out of the bar and bought it immediately.

Buy it you will not regret it one bit, well worth the the asking price of $170.

Completely eliminated my Wheel hop, and yes i did have ES motor mounts and urethane diy filled Side motor mount and Tranny mount prior to installing this and still had wheel hop...I also leave it hooked up all the time
Old 09-28-2009, 10:05 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Aaron this is awesome, and I am def going to order one soon.

How well do you think the bar will handle higher HP applications? say 500whp or so.
Thanks. Yes, it should definitely hold 500+ hp. If it doesn't for any reason, please let me know. I'll accept a return and give you a full refund including shipping costs! I would love to see an engine that can break this design!

Originally Posted by Staticxout2
If you guys would have came to Maxus 09' it was available for $140...lol, I have had mine since Maxus and i love it, once i seen it available on the NWP site I was so excited I tracked Aaron down pulled him out of the bar and bought it immediately.

Buy it you will not regret it one bit, well worth the the asking price of $170.

Completely eliminated my Wheel hop, and yes i did have ES motor mounts and urethane diy filled Side motor mount and Tranny mount prior to installing this and still had wheel hop...I also leave it hooked up all the time
Thank you.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:13 AM

I'm finally ordering this thing in a couple of weeks. Been thinking about it ever since this thread started, and following comments in related discussions. So to get psyched up, I thought I'd bump this thread, fishing for long-term opinions and insights.

So... who's had it for a while, and wants to talk about it?

Who uses it all the time, as opposed to only at the track? Who uses it on their daily driver? Do you find yourself adjusting it often, or do you just leave it alone? What do you like or don't like about it? If you had it on 24/7, how does it look now that winter is over?

Let's hear it.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...on-review.html

There is my review, one of the best mods I have done. It is awesome even to this day!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM
dot dot dot ...

Hmmm, seems as if this came out when I wasn't on here very often. I got my PUR engine mount in my garage, once that's in, I'm getting this.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM

I just had a "duh" moment regarding the bar itself. The two connecting ends of the bar where the pins go... they're split to fit snugly around the bracket extensions. Up until now, I just couldn't visualize how this fit tightly, and now I get it.

Dumb of me, I know. But there it is. The picture could benefit from having the bar turned on its side a little to demonstrate that design consideration.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:09 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I just had a "duh" moment regarding the bar itself. The two connecting ends of the bar where the pins go... they're split to fit snugly around the bracket extensions. Up until now, I just couldn't visualize how this fit tightly, and now I get it.

Dumb of me, I know. But there it is. The picture could benefit from having the bar turned on its side a little to demonstrate that design consideration.

I see what you're saying. I will update the pic on the website with this in mind.

The upper bracket has been slightly redesigned to give it a cleaner appearance. Plus, it now has the NWP logo on it. I'll update this particular pic so it shows the new bracket as well as it being easier to understand the clevis rod ends for those new to the product.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:18 PM

I just now got the Torque Link on the car. Ended up snapping one of the rusted-out, little OEM bolts. But fortunately it was the inside bolt about 1" away from the front of the bottom bracket, so I think I'm OK. The instructions are for 3 bolts on the 4th gen, so I'm not worried. (Well, not too much. )

Connected the bar at dead-center, so that it supports the engine, but doesn't push it forward or back. It's pretty cool how you can hand-tighten the bar and watch the engine move! Nice piece of engineering.

Haven't driven it yet... got to get the kids to bed. I'm not looking to lift the engine, really. Just brace it. I did start the car, and didn't feel any extra vibration at all. Not a bit. That surprised me, but I have ES torque mount bushings, so I'm kind of used to engine vibration.

[edit]

First drive, and I have a HUGE freaking smile on my face! Second and third gear slip in like butter, with a noticeably smoother power transition. I did a WOT run to redline in second gear a couple of times, and third just clicked right into place. This is a really big deal for me, because I've got the 3rd gear crunch more often than not.

As with any mod, time will tell the full story. But as far as first impressions go, it's pretty awesome!

Last edited by Rochester; 06-03-2010 at 07:04 PM.

Quick Reply: The NWP Engineering Engine Torque Link - Interest Thread