5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine Ticking Noise & Wants to stall

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 PM

Engine Ticking Noise & Wants to stall

I already searched, and yes i checked my oil level.

I might have a timing chain noise issue, not sure. Sometimes (not always), when im driving, i'll hear a ticking noise that gets louder as the RPMs increase. so its probably a timing chain right?

well i topped off the oil, and its still there. then the noise goes away after a little bit of driving, but when its there, its loud. pedestrians will stare at my car.

I noticed that when im idling with this noise at light a stop light or so, the rpms will flutter really low and then back up like it wants to stall. i got a misfire last week so i took it to the dealer and they:

replaced plugs
replaced #6 coil (the one that misfired)
oil was changed too
throttle body and injector cleaning
idle relearn

the noise problem goes away. one week later, its back. but i'm not taking it back to the dealer because the noise comes and goes, so i'm not going to waste my time with a $110 diagnostic fee. anyone else ever had a problem like this?

All this curiously happens AFTER i put in an Amsoil air filter by the way. Could this be the problem?? should i try and put my k&n filter back in and see if it goes away??

EDIT: the noise sounds like firecrackers. could it not be a timing chain at all and just be engine pinging? what the heck does that sound like??

Last edited by Col Ronson; 10-21-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
It's business time.

You're running premium, right? The ticking sound confuses me but the stalling could be MAF since you already did coil(s), plugs, injectors and TB.

Does the sound go away when the motor is warm or does it take a while after warm?
Old 10-21-2009, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Progress
You're running premium, right? The ticking sound confuses me but the stalling could be MAF since you already did coil(s), plugs, injectors and TB.

Does the sound go away when the motor is warm or does it take a while after warm?
Shell V-Power.

the sound sounnds like engine knocking. i looked up a few videos on youtube, sounds mostly like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk5A6MFla4Y

with the knocking sound increasing in intensity as the RPMs go up. ive been searching and some people say bad fuel/air mixture might be it, so im going to replace the air filter. my dad says to take the car back to the dealer and have them check the timing to see if its off. The sound occurs randomly, sometimes when im driving when the motor is already at operational temperature. sometimes it appears when i first start the car.

And with a 5.5 gen MAF costing $400 and no codes relating to the MAF, im not even going to touch that.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
It's business time.

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Shell V-Power.

the sound sounnds like engine knocking. i looked up a few videos on youtube, sounds mostly like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk5A6MFla4Y

with the knocking sound increasing in intensity as the RPMs go up. ive been searching and some people say bad fuel/air mixture might be it, so im going to replace the air filter. my dad says to take the car back to the dealer and have them check the timing to see if its off. The sound occurs randomly, sometimes when im driving when the motor is already at operational temperature. sometimes it appears when i first start the car.

And with a 5.5 gen MAF costing $400 and no codes relating to the MAF, im not even going to touch that.
Could be the timing chain tensioner.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 PM

and how would you test that besides tearing apart the engine
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 AM

^bump.

oh come on there has to be more than one opinion on this.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:12 AM
Org Lurker

I was searching to see if anybody had a similar problem to what I just went through. Last Saturday I had been driving for at least 30 mins, when I stopped at a traffic light, it just died on me. When I started it back up it sounded like the engine was bone dry of oil (like valve tap). I replaced the oil filter and added about 2 qts of oil, but still had the noise. Concerned that I had damaged the engine I had it towed to my mechanic. He felt it could be a piece of carbon that had broken off one of the lifters and was causing the noise in the piston chamber. They ran some kind of engine cleaner through it (didn't specify what but could have been seafoam) and the noise went away. It's been quiet for the last two days now. I'm still researching the issue as I've never heard of such a thing happening causing that noise. I mean it was loud, similar to the sound you get if you stuck a baseball card in the spokes of a BMX bike. Hope that helps.