5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vias delete plus Injen cai=bad??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM

Vias delete plus Injen cai=bad??

I did the Vias delete on my 5.5 6mt that loses some low end but allows a gain in the upper rpm band. (and yes, you feel it). However I just got a Injen CAI which I understand Takes high end power but provides low end... In theory.. If I instal the CAI am I just un-doing what I just did?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 PM

No. The injen intake takes low range power and adds it up top as well. Your intake gains should be most noticeable after about 3800 rpms. I haven't personally done the vias delete so I can't comment there, but you are correct it takes low range power and adds it up top.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Don' t waste your money on an Injen.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Don' t waste your money on an Injen.
I spent no where NEAR as much as it's worth lol. ONLY reason I have one
Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 AM

injen = worst intake for the max..filter is right behind the rad no? sucking in all that HOT air..lol
Old 12-02-2009, 03:55 AM

Mine runs into my fender
Old 12-02-2009, 05:57 AM

Two different VIAS-delete threads, e-subliminal? And both on the same day? OK, then.

You're probably not gaining anything measurable in the low-end with the Injen, what you're doing is accessing colder air on the launch... so it feels like a gain as you snap off the line. Once you get moving, air is air, whether it's short-ram or CAI.

Radiator, Hotshot? The Injen's I've seen always poke their filter into the fender. Isn't it that way for the 5th Gen?
Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 AM

nope.. the injen goes right along side the motor.. then turns 90* towards the floor where it sites behind the radiator...

i have never had one so i cant say from experience... but i have been reading about them on here for a long time and everything i have read says that they are bad on these motors in terms of them allowing hotter intake temps...there are a few threads...one on NYCmaximas that shows how to turn an injen into a fender intake and there is someone on here that 'heat wrapped' their injen...
also.. i think its important to note.. that depending on where you live the injen might feel good in colder temps(now) and then when summer hits might provide way more loss over a short ram..
Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 AM

+1 to MistMax.

Wait till it gets above 75 degrees F, you'll get a lot of heat soak. IMO, since the VQs have plenty of torque, switch to a short ram (convert the Injen to a short-ram or switch to Berk/JWT/etc) so your intake temps are more consistent and you have even better top-end performance (what VQ35s are more in need of). Using a short-ram in conjunction with the VIAS blockoff plate will make your top end feel niiiiice.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:55 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Although the Injen makes pretty cool sounds, it's a waste of cash.

BPI velocity stack = 35 dollars.

AEM Dryflow 6" filter = 40 dollars.

Add in a berk midpipe and you have a pretty nifty SRI.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:41 AM

Well I was planning on just rockin it for a month or two while temps are still cold. Once they heat back up I'll put the stocker back on.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Two different VIAS-delete threads, e-subliminal? And both on the same day? OK, then.

You're probably not gaining anything measurable in the low-end with the Injen, what you're doing is accessing colder air on the launch... so it feels like a gain as you snap off the line. Once you get moving, air is air, whether it's short-ram or CAI.

Radiator, Hotshot? The Injen's I've seen always poke their filter into the fender. Isn't it that way for the 5th Gen?
no no no no no, you see, what had happened wasssss

1 spoke of how I "masterfully" conducted the "vicious" vias delete on my own.

The second was merely a quesiton about this "monster" intake and if i'd hurt myself with the vias delete and the injen.

Lastly, "Once you get moving air is air". I understand what you're saying but if you have a intake receiving straight air while moving compared to one hidden under your hood behind the battery wouldn't one in theory make sense to be taking in more air than the one trapped under your hood? Excluding the heat that is already a variable from the motor? Or am I understanding this completely wrong?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by e-subliminal-2
no no no no no, you see, what had happened wasssss

1 spoke of how I "masterfully" conducted the "vicious" vias delete on my own.

The second was merely a quesiton about this "monster" intake and if i'd hurt myself with the vias delete and the injen.

Lastly, "Once you get moving air is air". I understand what you're saying but if you have a intake receiving straight air while moving compared to one hidden under your hood behind the battery wouldn't one in theory make sense to be taking in more air than the one trapped under your hood? Excluding the heat that is already a variable from the motor? Or am I understanding this completely wrong?
When the car is moving, especially if you don't have splash shields (), there is a constant flow of ambient air into and through your engine bay. Although a CAI may get slightly colder temps, especially during a heatsoak situation such as sitting in staging lanes or stop-go traffic, it's also a much longer pipe. SRI's normally give the best topend power without noticeable loss in the lowend and are also the cheapest and easiest option.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my intake goes into the fender in front of the drivers side wheel. that with a VAIS is a good idea? what are the drawbacks?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM

You're over-analyzing this.

CAI gives you cold air on the launch, gains that are probably analogous to the effects of having a lightweight UDP. After the launch, your CAI doesn't matter, and your intake gains are coming by way of a less restricted air-flow. The only way you're going to truly lower your air temps continuously (on your 5.5 gen) is with phenolic spacers.

You already bought it, so install your Injen, extend it into the fender, and move on to some other project. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, until someday when you want to try something new.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-02-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 AM

You already bought it, so install your Injen, extend it into the fender, and move on to some other project. I'm sure you'll be happy with it, until someday when you want to try something new.
Doin so as we speak.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:52 AM

CAI gives you cold air on the launch, gains that are probably analogous to the effects of having a lightweight UDP. After the launch, your CAI doesn't matter, and your intake gains are coming by way of a less restricted air-flow. The only way you're going to truly lower your air temps continuously (on your 5.5 gen) is with phenolic spacers.

Good advice I completely agree

Doin so as we speak.
good your listening.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:07 PM

Doin so as we speak.
Good for you! Come back here after you tear up the neighborhood, and let us know how you're feeling about that intake.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:13 PM

Good for you! Come back here after you tear up the neighborhood, and let us know how you're feeling about that intake.
Well I installed it last night and it's been pouring since so I haven't been able to even test the way injen makes it straight out the factory, yet alone get on to extending it yet..
Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Toolie

i was under the impression that the injen provide mid range power. I got rid of mine after trying out a berk short ram.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:02 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by nishfish871
my intake goes into the fender in front of the drivers side wheel. that with a VAIS is a good idea? what are the drawbacks?
A true cold air intake usually pumps up the midrange pretty good due to the length of the tubing. The AEM CAI in my old Accord had a noticeable bump around 4000-4500 rpms (10-14 hp) but at higher rpms there wasn't much gain over stock, something like 1-2 hp according to the dyno sheet AEM had at the time for the intake.

A long tube cold air intake will probably help soften the 10-12 hp you lose from 2800-3800 rpms (based on the dyno sheet on the Altima in the VIAS vs stock vs SSIM thread), but I'm not sure if it will potentially take away from the top end gains. However, if the NWP intake spacers don't, seeing as part of the gain you get from them is due to lengthening the runners, then you will probably be fine with your intake and the block plate.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 PM

eh.. still missing the point of the pipe literally being inches away from the block and the filter inches behind the radiator.. so under most situations and with the longer tube.. heat soak is prevalent..and a short ram will give better gains..

and sparks- thats cool you have the splash shield off.. i thought i was the only one that did this.. there def is more air flow with it off IMHO.. talk to Knight about that.. i posted in some thread about how i took mine off and he opposed it saying it *might* create some venturi effect that would suck air out .. educated guess.. but i think it helps with it off.. especially if your running 12's and 13's
spread the word.. take the drivers side splash shield off!!
Old 12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Turbo'd Saab

I love intake threads...the theories are so fun to read
Old 12-02-2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
Screw theories. Someone with money to blow go dyno sri/cai/w/e else there is with w.e set up you have and let's see some numbers! lol!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM

Screw theories. Someone with money to blow go dyno sri/cai/w/e else there is with w.e set up you have and let's see some numbers! lol!
This has been done before.

And yields absolutely no conclusive data. You dyno the car with the hood open, and a huge fan is blowing into it, distorting the actual environment that the intake is operating in. The differences in whp figures between intakes (assuming they're all done in one dyno session) are due to outside variables and are nearly negligible.

I think NMexMax said it best, stock airbox is fine for most setups, stock muffler is fine for most setups, but modify everything in between

EDIT 1,111 posts
Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by LongIslandMax
No. The injen intake takes low range power and adds it up top as well. Your intake gains should be most noticeable after about 3800 rpms. I haven't personally done the vias delete so I can't comment there, but you are correct it takes low range power and adds it up top.
Oh really...I took my Injen intake off and packed it back in the box it was bought in....and installed 2 short ram intakes since then....The Injen hurt my topend trapspeed and et in the 1/4 mile....It kept hitting a flat spot, shifting into 3rd gear around at least the last 300-400 ft of the 1/4 mile!!!
I found the low and midrange to but enhanced while the topend was lacking. THE TUBE IS TOO DAM LONG DUDE (39")!!!!!!
My new Hybrid Shortram Intake makes me wish I'd done this 4yrs ago....all it does is pull, pull more and pull somemore...No flat spots....my accelerations are definitely more violent and constant with every gear change in my 2003 A/T TE!!!!! Believe or not the Injen is cool but not for topend power.....
That was Then....

This was recent...Short Ram Intake #1....

This is Now!!!! Hybrid Shortram Intake #2....
Old 12-03-2009, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
so true.

My favorite silliness here is when when someone with a short-ram setup retains the stock inlet, so it can "scoop" up cold air. heh heh.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:54 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

so true.

My favorite silliness here is when when someone with a short-ram setup retains the stock inlet, so it can "scoop" up cold air. heh heh.
Stock inlet probably isn't going to provide air to the engine without the stock intake to pull air in. Not exactly in an ideal location to provide a ram air effect.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM

I have a Injen CAI. I want to convert it to a short ram. Can I just take off the 2nd tube that has the filter on it, and put the filter directly on the MAF?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by killer00
I have a Injen CAI. I want to convert it to a short ram. Can I just take off the 2nd tube that has the filter on it, and put the filter directly on the MAF?
Idk about directly on the maf. I had mine set so there was a small 3 inch tube from a previous intake on after the maf than I added the filter.... Kinda a short ram type thing. Feels better. But nothing I can honestly make a difference from..
Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM

injen cold air= bad... just doesnt work for maxima's fo some strange reason...
Old 12-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by killer00
Yeah you can do that but now the filter is directly in the hot air coming off the radiator! Take your old Oem stuff and make a short ram like this it still outperforms the Injen..The best thing about the Injen is the Maf adapter!
TB>coupler or Oem Flex section>Oem Helmholtz resonator>coupler>MAF/adapter>Cone filter:
Old 12-15-2009, 09:12 PM

great and i just bought a used injec cai