5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Custommaxima FSTB

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Rochester, what's your FSTB? Yours is the best design.
Racingline Performance. See Post #11, or my sig.

I chose that over Stillen because of better price, better aesthetics and better design... however, those last two are subjective opinions.

I chose that over eBay because I was wanting quality. Another subjective opinion.

If he were still making them, I would have bought the old Cattman Ti-bar.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:04 AM

Great thanks!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Oh yeah, Racingline battery tie downs!
Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Comparing CustomMaxima and Fleabay FSTB, there's not much difference. One uses a flat stock and the other a billet (round) bar.

The forces on a strut bar can be downward and upward. More on upward when you are turning. The whole body is leaning on the strut. This upward force is being transferred via the FSTB link to the other tower, making it rigid and one piece. Hence better handling. JM2C.
Huh??? Upward or downward????

If you have a net upward or downward force on something, it accelerates (moves). Since it stays attached to the car, there is no upward or downward force.

The bar goes into tension or compression.

Bolted is a better design. Welds can break. Keep in mind the frame that holds the bolts are welded to the body-link eventually.
Just so you know, bolts can break to. Welds typically crack under fatigue loading. In this case, I would think a welded connection would be stronger, because the bolt is so small and the weld electrode is typically very high strength. And also, the welded connections provides more rigidity, which is the main goal here. However, the bolt is required for the adjustability factor.

I am guessing you are a very young engineer.....correct?

Last edited by vball_max; 03-12-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 AM

Yeah, I like the look of the custommaxima one. I think I'll get it when I can afford it... I've heard that custommaxima uses pretty decent materials. I've heard nothing but good things about them since ownership changed. I'll be ordering their Cat-back exhaust + cat/test pipe as soon as I have the funds. Then FSTB...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Oh yeah, Racingline battery tie downs!
Yep. They sent me one of those too, for being patient while they were out-of-stock on the FSTB. Nice hunk of aluminum.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by kgallerie
Huh??? Upward or downward????

If you have a net upward or downward force on something, it accelerates (moves). Since it stays attached to the car, there is no upward or downward force.

The bar goes into tension or compression.

Just so you know, bolts can break to. Welds typically crack under fatigue loading. In this case, I would think a welded connection would be stronger, because the bolt is so small and the weld electrode is typically very high strength. And also, the welded connections provides more rigidity, which is the main goal here. However, the bolt is required for the adjustability factor.

I am guessing you are a very young engineer.....correct?
I was thinking the same thing. I figured all one piece steel bar would be much better that steel brackets and Aluminum bar. might be heavier but again the added strength of the steel and the welds would be a good compromise

would the car really be put under enough stress to break the welds? would it happen with normal driving or would it take something extreme like auto-x?

B
Old 03-12-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by NissanMan97
I was thinking the same thing. I figured all one piece steel bar would be much better that steel brackets and Aluminum bar. might be heavier but again the added strength of the steel and the welds would be a good compromise

would the car really be put under enough stress to break the welds? would it happen with normal driving or would it take something extreme like auto-x?

B
Personally, i would go with aluminum if you have it available to you and you have some experience welding aluminum. The strength to weight ratio of aluminum is much greater than steel.

Making it one piece might create some problems with installation. I think the strut towers are tilted inwards a slight bit, so dropping the brackets over both sides at the same time might cause some issues. Thats probably another reason that they are typically made with the brackets bolted to the bar with some adjustability.

To answer your question about the weld strength, it depends on the size of the weld (throat thickness and length). The force that goes through the strut bar is dependent on the rigidity of the cars frame vs. the rigidity of the strut bar. Its pretty much impossible to calculate without a lot more information so no one can really tell you what the force is and whether or not it will break the weld. However, I have never heard of anyone breaking a weld on their strut bar. The bolt would probably slip before the weld would break.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 AM

Personally, i would go with aluminum if you have it available to you and you have some experience welding aluminum. The strength to weight ratio of aluminum is much greater than steel.

Making it one piece might create some problems with installation. I think the strut towers are tilted inwards a slight bit, so dropping the brackets over both sides at the same time might cause some issues. Thats probably another reason that they are typically made with the brackets bolted to the bar with some adjustability.

To answer your question about the weld strength, it depends on the size of the weld (throat thickness and length). The force that goes through the strut bar is dependent on the rigidity of the cars frame vs. the rigidity of the strut bar. Its pretty much impossible to calculate without a lot more information so no one can really tell you what the force is and whether or not it will break the weld. However, I have never heard of anyone breaking a weld on their strut bar. The bolt would probably slip before the weld would break.
if i could get a hold of aluminum i would but i would have to pay. i can get steel free. i was thinking along the same lines about the strut towers and figured i could over come that by fabricating the brackets first and then taking the piece that would be the bar and place it over the brackets already on the strut tower and the tack weld it together so that it would be in position and everything before the final weld.

when you say great strength to weight ratio...do you mean that if i have a certain piece of Al and a certain piece of steel with the same strength rating that the Al will weight less? Wouldnt that mean that i would need a larger amount of Al seeing as steel is denser or am I wrong?

thanks for all the input by everyone. this is great info and a lot of help

B
Old 03-12-2010, 12:10 PM

when you say great strength to weight ratio...do you mean that if i have a certain piece of Al and a certain piece of steel with the same strength rating that the Al will weight less? Wouldnt that mean that i would need a larger amount of Al seeing as steel is denser or am I wrong?

B
It depends on what you mean by "strength rating"......

The tensile yield strength of structural steel is typically between 36,000-50,000 psi and it weights about 490 lbs./cu.ft.

The tensile yield strength of good aluminum alloys typically range from 30,000-40,000 psi and weighs about 165 lbs./cu.ft.

So generally speaking, you can get the same performance out of a lighter piece of metal using aluminum.

Last edited by vball_max; 03-12-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:26 PM

It depends on what you mean by "strength rating"......

The tensile yield strength of structural steel is typically between 36,000-50,000 psi and it weights about 490 lbs./cu.ft.

The tensile yield strength of good aluminum alloys typically range from 30,000-40,000 psi and weighs about 165 lbs./cu.ft.

So generally speaking, you can get the same performance out of a lighter piece of metal using aluminum.
tensile strength is what i meant just couldnt think of the word.

basically what i wanted to accomplish was create something like the blehmco LTB of course for the top side. I figured the extra rigidity of the all steel on piece construction would offer better benefits over the pieced FSTB's. Theoretically it makes sense but applying that is the obvious problem.

B
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM

kgallerie,

"I am guessing you are a very young engineer.....correct?"

Unfortunately not my friend.

Anyway, as I have seen on my friend's ES330, the strut bar is roll formed steel, punched, 1 piece. Now that's good except for the weight. No bolts, no weld. Can take all the compressive, torsional loads.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:09 PM

Anyway, as I have seen on my friend's ES330, the strut bar is roll formed steel, punched, 1 piece. Now that's good except for the weight. No bolts, no weld. Can take all the compressive, torsional loads.
Just out of curiosity, if no bolts and no welds how is it attached to the car? And what roll formed shape is the member? tube, pipe, small i-beam?

torsional loads? I dont think strut bars see torsion, but sway bars do.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Just out of curiosity, if no bolts and no welds how is it attached to the car? And what roll formed shape is the member? tube, pipe, small i-beam?

what would be the best roll formed shape?

like i said the steel is free and i have a large selection to chose from. free materials and labor to weld, cant really beat that to experiment

B
Old 03-12-2010, 01:23 PM

I will take a lot of pics of my friend's ES330's FSTB and will post. Then we can all get inspiration from it!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Roll formed into flat channel. The ends might be welded, we'll see the pics, soon, but I thought they were punched formed, too.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM

I will take a lot of pics of my friend's ES330's FSTB and will post. Then we can all get inspiration from it!
sweet!

B
Old 03-12-2010, 01:27 PM

It was funny, my friend did not even know what the bar was for. I said for stability. I asked him, do you like your ES330's handling? He says, yes absolutely!
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM

what would be the best roll formed shape?

like i said the steel is free and i have a large selection to chose from. free materials and labor to weld, cant really beat that to experiment

B
I would say a pipe. In tension, the shape doesnt typically have a huge effect, however in compression, a round pipe is the most effective shape. But with the clearance issues, you might run into trouble using a pipe. Something flatter might fit better.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM

I would say a pipe. In tension, the shape doesnt typically have a huge effect, however in compression, a round pipe is the most effective shape. But with the clearance issues, you might run into trouble using a pipe. Something flatter might fit better.
what about a small diameter solid pipe?...LOL. i think that would be a little overkill if it could be done

B
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 PM

what about a small diameter solid pipe?...LOL. i think that would be a little overkill if it could be done
Or 2 pipes. Read up on the old Cattman Ti-bar.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:00 PM

2 bar design...looks good.

Forgot to take pics this weekend for the ES330 FSTB. Will still do just do not know when I can see him again.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Toolie

if you really want a good FSTB and you are making it yourself, do what they do on the mitsubishi lancer. Bolt it to both strut towers AND the firewall...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 AM

The strut bar on our 1st Gen Acura's were like the ones from the Legend, it too had a 3 bolt to the chassis.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by a33i30
Get a vibrant racing one, mine was around $50 shipped and it's built just as good as the stillen one.

just went on the site, says no strut bars?????????
Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 AM
大陆弟弟

For a FSTB to be most effective, it should solid and one piece preferably, like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ULTRA...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-16-2010, 08:10 AM

Great link, absolutely great info! Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM

i like the one knight posted

B