5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New Wheels Are Screwing Alighment! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2001, 02:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

New Wheels Are Screwing Alighment! Help!

I just bought some new 17" rims/tires to replace stock 16". I got 235/45/17. The problem I'm having is that whenever I drive on like a road that is slanted and not flat, the steering wheel will move in the direction of the slant. I have to hold the wheel otherwise I'll crash into the wall.. I already did an alighment, that didn't really help. When I was talking to a tech he mentioned that it coud be that my tires are too wide, they may be rubbing the springs or sidewall. He said I should go down 1 tire size to 225/50/17. Oh yeah, I have H&R springs. What do you guys think?
Old 12-12-2001, 03:02 PM

It's kinda comon that when you get wider tires your car may pull it's cuz they don't fit in the groove made by comon size tires that are smaller. But it's got zero to do with springs...make sure the alignment is right and toe is ok make them print out the spec sheet.
Old 12-12-2001, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by max'n out
It's kinda comon that when you get wider tires your car may pull it's cuz they don't fit in the groove made by comon size tires that are smaller. But it's got zero to do with springs...make sure the alignment is right and toe is ok make them print out the spec sheet.
Do you know what the settings should be on a 5th gen?
Old 12-12-2001, 04:33 PM

What groove is this? I'm planning on getting the same size tires in the spring w/ 17x8 wheels. Does this really affect the alignment? Also, is this a permanent problem, or will it go away?
Old 12-12-2001, 04:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

2 or 4 wheel alignment?

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K

Do you know what the settings should be on a 5th gen?
Do you guys know? I took mine in to get aligned and instead of showing better numbers in the rear the printout showed worse numbers. I also have the h & r's and 235X45-17's and my car pulls to the incline side too, I also had to take it back twice because my steering wheel did not track straight, could it be because there is something loose??

JR
Old 12-12-2001, 06:50 PM

The rear will be worst when you lower it...but there is zero adjustment to do anything about it. Is it in the red at all??? And by how much if so? The settings are on the sheet as far as what they should be within, if you don't have it i'll get mine and type um out. If the wheel wanst tracking straight it could be beaause they din't have it straight when doing the alignment, or they do not have both sides close together this is why it's good to get a print out.

The groove I refer to is the one that is made in the road ( usally old bad roads) by trucks and cars over time...but if your on a new nice road it should be runing straight.

Any time you drop a car the alignment is going to be off and must be redun.
Old 12-12-2001, 07:20 PM

acually since I'm sure people want it here is the range for the alignment.

Left front --------------------- Right front

.5 to -1.0 ,--------------------- , -1.0 to .5
Camber ---------------------- Camber

3.5 to 2.0, ---------------------- , 2.0 to 3.5
Caster ---------------------- Caster

.00 to .10 ,----------------------- , .10 to .00
toe ------------------------- toe

total toe should be .00 to .20
steer ahead should bewithin -.05 to .05 but idealy .00

Left rear -------------------- Right rear

-.3 to -1.8 ,-------------------- , -1.8 to -.3
camber --------------------- camber

-.13 to .22 ,-------------------- ,.22 to-.13
toe ---------------------- toe

total toe -.26 to .44

Hope this helps everybody.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:18 PM

i've had the same thing when i went to 235/45. no biggie, it just tracks more, following uneven lines in the road. it's also more prone to drift with incline. i didn't notice this with my yokohamas at the same size, but when i switched to my current bfg's it became noticeable.
i went for 3 alignments at different shops and no change. i don't think it's necessarily a 'problem' as much as it's a function of size and grip. go to a perfectly flat road and see if your car still behaves strangely. i bet it won't. try it with H rated tires in the same size and i bet it won't be nearly as bad.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:41 PM

I understand you guys have your cars dropped. I'm not planning to drop mine. Should I still have this problem with the 235/45s?
Old 12-12-2001, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity
I understand you guys have your cars dropped. I'm not planning to drop mine. Should I still have this problem with the 235/45s?
mine sits high stock suspension for me.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by Maximum Velocity
It's got nothing to do with the car being droped it's the tire...once the car is droped as long as the alignment is dun and dun rite it's gonna be fine, it's the tire that is the problem on bad old roads.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:06 AM

Originally posted by serin
i've had the same thing when i went to 235/45. no biggie, it just tracks more, following uneven lines in the road. it's also more prone to drift with incline. i didn't notice this with my yokohamas at the same size, but when i switched to my current bfg's it became noticeable.
i went for 3 alignments at different shops and no change. i don't think it's necessarily a 'problem' as much as it's a function of size and grip. go to a perfectly flat road and see if your car still behaves strangely. i bet it won't. try it with H rated tires in the same size and i bet it won't be nearly as bad.
Yeah sounds like the exact symptoms that I have. On flat roads it drives straight as an arrow.. But on inclined or uneven pavements it pulls to the side. I've been driving like this for about 2 weeks now. Kinda used to it by now though.. Sucks that I have to constantly move the wheel to stay even though...

Max n' out: I'll give those settings to the shop and see what they can do..
Old 12-13-2001, 04:07 AM

Umm.. do you guys think that if I drop down in size to 225/50/17, it won't pull as much to the side?
Old 12-13-2001, 09:58 AM

Yeah sounds like the exact symptoms that I have. On flat roads it drives straight as an arrow.. But on inclined or uneven pavements it pulls to the side. I've been driving like this for about 2 weeks now. Kinda used to it by now though.. Sucks that I have to constantly move the wheel to stay even though...

Max n' out: I'll give those settings to the shop and see what they can do..
The shop better have those settings those are the suggested range of setting. They can set it anywhere with in there and be right. If you'd like some good suggestions for what to acually set them to i'll give um to ya.

"PCGuRu2K Umm.. do you guys think that if I drop down in size to 225/50/17, it won't pull as much to the side? "

Other than factory you can't really find 225-50's out there, i think sombody found one tire like that but mostly all there is is 225-45 and lower.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:26 AM

The shop better have those settings those are the suggested range of setting. They can set it anywhere with in there and be right. If you'd like some good suggestions for what to acually set them to i'll give um to ya.
Yeah, cool that'd be great..... That pulling is starting to get annoying.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:17 PM

Re: New Wheels Are Screwing Alighment! Help!

I just bought some new 17" rims/tires to replace stock 16". I got 235/45/17. The problem I'm having is that whenever I drive on like a road that is slanted and not flat, the steering wheel will move in the direction of the slant. I have to hold the wheel otherwise I'll crash into the wall.. I already did an alighment, that didn't really help. When I was talking to a tech he mentioned that it coud be that my tires are too wide, they may be rubbing the springs or sidewall. He said I should go down 1 tire size to 225/50/17. Oh yeah, I have H&R springs. What do you guys think?
It's called tramlining, big wheel/tire packages are known to do this on imperfect road surfaces
Old 12-13-2001, 01:23 PM

Yeah, cool that'd be great..... That pulling is starting to get annoying.
Lets see
Left front -------------- Passenger front

-.5 -------------------,,-.5
Camber----------------- Camber

3.0 ---------------------,, 3.0
Caster -----------------,, Caster

.05 --------------------,,.05
Toe -------------------,, toe
Total toe then would be .10

Most importantly steer ahead should then be .00

Like I said the rear can not be adjusted at all but it's worth having it checked to see what it's at. If it's in the red meaning not in factory specs there is somthing you can do but I don't suggest it unless it's really bad.

Also these are suggestions other settings can be dun and be fine but I think these are good for street use on a daily driver.