5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:51 AM
Toolie

for those who want to paint plastic parts I recommend using the krylon plastic paints. But be warned, even thought they take one hour to dry, it says on the package the paint takes one week to cure. I'll post a pic later of my battery's positive post cover.

Hey John, can you post part numbers for the murano caps?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
for those who want to paint plastic parts I recommend using the krylon plastic paints. But be warned, even thought they take one hour to dry, it says on the package the paint takes one week to cure. I'll post a pic later of my battery's positive post cover.

Hey John, can you post part numbers for the murano caps?
Good advice on plastic painting. Thanks.

Not sure why you want the cap info, since you're getting that ZeeToy stuff. But here are some links from CourtesyParts. Keep in mind, these are CourtesyParts inventory items, and Dave B. will be different. But he's super patient, and will walk you through the right purchase.

Also, notice the washer fluid cap looks black (it isn't, it's actually gray.)

Lastly, notice the washer fluid cap comes with a hose, with a little pin-***** hole in the cap. IDK why. I just removed the hose.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$2.37 for the larger washer fluid cap and the hose vs. $6.48 for just the smaller coolant cap I'll never understand dealer pricing.....

Just FYI, my stock washer fluid cap has that hose as well. Not sure whats its for......but the pin-***** hole is to let air in so that it flows better when the fluid is getting pumped out.

And I wont make a comment about the "pin-*****" term you used and how it relates to your small package

And props for all the leg work on this stuff John.....more well thought out contributions to the .org! Thank you!
Old 10-27-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by vball_max
And props for all the leg work on this stuff John.....more well thought out contributions to the .org! Thank you!
That makes my day. Thanks, Kevin.

Now come pull my codes and tell me why I got a SES on the way into the office today. I bet it's that new washer cap.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If it was less than a 7 hour drive, actually had a code scanner, and was confident that I would know what to do after I got the codes, i would definitely give you a hand with that

But I can tell you its probably not the washer cap
Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Toolie

Here's my positive terminal cap painted with the krylon fusion paint. I should have used the darker blue, but you get the idea. This stuff if very hard after curing.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rochester
I tried painting my yellow washer fluid cap a few weeks ago, with black plastic paint, and it did not come out well at all. To be honest, it looks like crap. I don't know how all these people who lay claim to painting their caps are actually pleased with the outcome.

So I bought a washer reservoir cap from a 2007 Nissan Murano in gray, and one from a 2004 Nissan Maxima, in blue.

Both are a perfect fit. I think I like the gray one.

Mine came out ok. Did you primer your first?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Oh, I like the canister. And the caps looks really attractive, too. Not sure how I feel about the welds on the box.

Like to see these on the car. Looks like you've got a weekend project.
Nah!!! Can't wait until this weekend. I have a car show on Sunday. Went ahead and put them in today.

Old 10-27-2010, 05:45 PM

Now come pull my codes and tell me why I got a SES on the way into the office today. I bet it's that new washer cap.
Originally Posted by vball_max
If it was less than a 7 hour drive, actually had a code scanner, and was confident that I would know what to do after I got the codes, i would definitely give you a hand with that

But I can tell you its probably not the washer cap
It's the EVAP purge valve under the rear of the car. It's frozen open. I have a new one on the way.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Nah!!! Can't wait until this weekend. I have a car show on Sunday. Went ahead and put them in today.
You're unstoppable, Roy! That's a seriously unique set of engine bling mods with those chrome reservoirs. Well done, sir.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Toolie

Any fitment issues with those new canisters Roy? Or custom hole drilling? Looks great !! I'm super tempted to do the same thing but I'll probably blacken them
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Any fitment issues with those new canisters Roy? Or custom hole drilling? Looks great !! I'm super tempted to do the same thing but I'll probably blacken them
Here is the splitter I used for both hoses

The return line

Removed that ugly connector behind the canister and shortened the wires.

Last edited by rroderiques77; 10-29-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:12 PM

Hey, take a photo of the engine cover while you're at it. What did you do, trim the edges and oil fill area in chrome or chrome paint?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 AM

Hey Roy... Torque Link on. Torque Link off. Torque Link on again.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-28-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Toolie

Hey John, do you have the full part numbers for those Murano Caps? My guy can't use the courtesy numbers. I asked him to check for the caps on the 08 Murano and we don't have the 08 up here.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Hey Roy... Torque Link on. Torque Link off. Torque Link on again.
No $hit....It gets old after a while. I think I'm keeping it on for now.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM

Hey John, do you have the full part numbers for those Murano Caps? My guy can't use the courtesy numbers. I asked him to check for the caps on the 08 Murano and we don't have the 08 up here.
I threw away the bags with the part numbers. Sorry, Ray. The coolant overflow cap and brake fluid caps are from the Murano. It's pretty straight-forward. I can't imagine why you would need part numbers.

But you know, I just now realized you had this picture of your positive terminal cap painted blue, and it looks really, really good. So why not just paint yours with that same blue?

Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Toolie

Just keeping my options open. Did you say 08 Murano or 07 Murano? My guy said he could get caps from the 07 no problem but with my luck they would be pink or something.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Pink sound great!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Both the coolant cap and the brake caps is the same 2003 through 2010. It doesn't matter. Same design and size as ours, but black.

The washer fluid cap is from the 2003 - 2007, but it was actually gray, not black. The 2009 - 2010 model Murano uses an oblong cap... different design.

The 6th gen Maxima and the 350Z use the same washer cap as ours, but in blue and with a different hanger, which you can just cut off.

I think you should paint your originals blue, like your positive terminal cover. You've obviously got a knack for it, and they will match then.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Toolie

actually, I suck at spray painting, but the Krylon plastic paint is very easy to spray. I'm not sure why but the nozzle must be special because it comes out in a nice mist and doesn't seem to spray out in clumps and big drops.

I might have to go a darker blue though because the battery terminal cap is much lighter than the hoses I got.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:52 AM

It's cold, and I'm pretty burned out on this engine bay project. So I'm done for 2010.

I might do some more in the Spring, if I'm still inspired to follow up on some things I didn't get to, or if some new stuff shows up here that grabs my eye. But in the mean time... it's cold outside, even in the garage.

Here's a current photo, with the new reservoir caps.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Man that sure is clean in there, and your engine is nicely appointed with all the modest changes you have done John you should be proud of the way things have turned out ... definitely worth popping the hood when its show and tell time. Your very correct about it being cold outside, I have been in the garage all day fixing the rockers on my daughter van that were a complete mess, just finished sanding and getting the primer on and will finish up shortly with the painting. It does help having the heaters on full tilt out in the garage as it is a nice 74 degrees in there at the moment.

I look forward to seeing what you have in store for next spring.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 10-31-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM

Rochester, that is a great photo. If you could attach a bigger one to a post I'd download it and make desktop wallpaper out of it!
Old 10-31-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Rochester, that is a great photo. If you could attach a bigger one to a post I'd download it and make desktop wallpaper out of it!
Um, OK. What resolution?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:50 PM

If you have it 1440 wide, that would be nice...daily inspiration to clean my engine bay.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 PM

If you have it 1440 wide, that would be nice...daily inspiration to clean my engine bay.
I can do that. Click on the two smaller images here for links to larger, 1440x900 resolution images.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:27 PM

Nice, thanks!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

It's cold, and I'm pretty burned out on this engine bay project. So I'm done for 2010.

I might do some more in the Spring, if I'm still inspired to follow up on some things I didn't get to, or if some new stuff shows up here that grabs my eye. But in the mean time... it's cold outside, even in the garage.

Here's a current photo, with the new reservoir caps.

Looking good John. Great work so far. Too bad you're giving it up for now. But understand if it's cold. Things are still in the 70s around here.

I took this one today during the Findlay Honda Halloween Car Show.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
Looking good John. Great work so far. Too bad you're giving it up for now. But understand if it's cold. Things are still in the 70s around here.

I took this one today during the Findlay Honda Halloween Car Show.
Thanks, Roy.

I see you've capped or replaced the t-bolt clamps on your upper radiator hose. And look at that... you followed through on that idea to paint your relay & fuse boxes piano black to match the engine cover. Very nice.

This is the best photo I've seen of your engine bay yet. Well done.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:24 AM

If I had the time I'd like to see what it would look like to go red, white and blue on the three sections of the engine cover.
Oh well, it's a Japanese car regardless I guess...

Last edited by trooplewis; 11-03-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

I like the two-tone on the cover. Great job!!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM

And the shiny front solenoid!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 AM

And the shiny front solenoid!
I see what you've done there. I want a shiny IVT sensor too.

You know, I'm on the fence about the red section in your engine cover... but I certainly respect the creative effort. And your bay is looking really clean. I like that you ditched the factory warning stickers off the front cross-member.

But why are you pulling hot air into a closed airbox?

Um, too much yellow, trooplewis. You need a yellow-delete mod in your engine bay.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 AM

I see what you've done there. I want a shiny IVT sensor too.

You know, I'm on the fence about the red section in your engine cover... but I certainly respect the creative effort. And your bay is looking really clean. I like that you ditched the factory warning stickers off the front cross-member.

But why are you pulling hot air into a closed airbox?

Um, too much yellow, trooplewis. You need a yellow-delete mod in your engine bay.
Yes, I'm on the fence about the red as well, just wanted to see what it would look like and do something a little bit different that made you know it was not stock. Doing it red/white/blue with a couple of white stars thrown in would probably be too over-the-top.

I hate all the plastic stuff that comes attached to the stock airbox, wanted to free up some space in there. I doubt I would ever notice the difference in power in terms of air intake temp. Certainly no different than the guys running an aftermarket WAI.

I would get rid of the rest of the plastic plumbing but I don't want a noisy intake or to lose any low-end power, so not sure which direction to go.

It would be fun to have the entire engine out and get to do some serious aluminum polishing on it. The timing chain cover would probably look gorgeous if you spent about 4 hours on it.

I did spend the $18 and bought a new hamburger for the engine cover. The old one was wrinkled badly.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Yes, I'm on the fence about the red as well, just wanted to see what it would look like and do something a little bit different that made you know it was not stock. Doing it red/white/blue with a couple of white stars thrown in would probably be too over-the-top.

I hate all the plastic stuff that comes attached to the stock airbox, wanted to free up some space in there. I doubt I would ever notice the difference in power in terms of air intake temp. Certainly no different than the guys running an aftermarket WAI.

I would get rid of the rest of the plastic plumbing but I don't want a noisy intake or to lose any low-end power, so not sure which direction to go.

It would be fun to have the entire engine out and get to do some serious aluminum polishing on it. The timing chain cover would probably look gorgeous if you spent about 4 hours on it.

I did spend the $18 and bought a new hamburger for the engine cover. The old one was wrinkled badly.
If you're gonna ditch the snorkel, at LEAST to the GAB.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Based on those priorities, go with a SRI, but keep the resonator in-line. What you've got at the moment is the worst of both worlds: hot air and restriction.

If you don't want to build/buy a SRI kit, then GAB it, or put the snorkel back on for a colder air source.

I know you didn't ask for advice, but that's the risk you run when revealing an engine bay.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:33 AM

LOL, advice is good, bring it on!

On race day, I just hang a mesh bag full of ice cubes down in front of that intake and get my own custom cool-air intake system...j/k

I'll probably drill a couple of holes in the filter cover for a bit better breathing, but I don't push the car hard. It's a rare day when my tach needle gets familiar with the area past 4000 rpms.

But if I had an extra $128 sitting in my bank account, I'd buy one of these

Last edited by trooplewis; 11-03-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:41 PM

I was looking at the engine bay just now, with plans in my head to remove the NWP Torque Link Connector for winter... when I got this idea. Why not have the center hexagonal bar powder-coated to match the Black Chrome FSTB brackets?

Roy, you've got this engine brace, too. What do you think?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:09 PM
You embarrass me.

trooplewis, I really like the two tone on the cover. I was just thinking about this the other day as I've never seen it done, but it kinda made me think once I saw the new GT-R engine cover...

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)