5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:12 AM

That 350Z weapon-R power steering reservoir is nice. I don't personally want a chrome tank, but I can see the appeal.

Now, their website... that design is stoopid and childish beyond belief. But you'd just be buying into their products, not their lame marketing. In other words, it doesn't look like the PS tank is branded... which is a good thing.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Toolie

if you don't like shiny stainless steel you can buy a product called stainless steel blackener, which would make it look... well... black.

Last edited by knight_yyz; 10-22-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Those are great pictures from everyone!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM

^you're welcome?
Old 10-22-2010, 01:19 PM

here's mine i detailed it for a car show...but i need new headlight bolts and i have to paint the radiator brackets....they look crappy all rusted...

Old 10-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Wish they made something like this for Maximas, I'd buy a couple in a hurry for $15 each. Even if it was just the stock ones but chromed

http://www.velocityshop.com/product/...ic-ek_466.html
Old 10-24-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by trooplewis
Wish they made something like this for Maximas, I'd buy a couple in a hurry for $15 each. Even if it was just the stock ones but chromed

http://www.velocityshop.com/product/...ic-ek_466.html
yeah id buy some too....i guess well have to make our own!
Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nismoSEXIMA
here's mine i detailed it for a car show...but i need new headlight bolts and i have to paint the radiator brackets....they look crappy all rusted...

Why do you have the stock snorkel in place when you have the aftermarket intake? Is just to direct cooler air in there?
Old 10-24-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by vball_max
Why do you have the stock snorkel in place when you have the aftermarket intake? Is just to direct cooler air in there?
Aw geeze. I really don't want to have to read this discussion again. Politics, OK. Religion, OK. But whether or not there are merits or detriments when retaining the OEM snorkel with your SRI, no. Keep it, or don't keep it. Done.

However, in the context of detailing your engine bay, ditch it... unless it's hiding something worse, like a dead rat.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:09 PM

I'm curious why you guys don't paint your intake manifold when you have it off the car for a plug change or to add spacers. Seems like it would good with just a can of hi-temp engine enamel in red or black.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

I'm curious why you guys don't paint your intake manifold when you have it off the car for a plug change or to add spacers. Seems like it would good with just a can of hi-temp engine enamel in red or black.
Probably because some of us don't want our manifolds painted.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77

if my manifold comes off id rather polish it then paint it...but thats just me.....
Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM

Has anyone considered buying a new hood latch assembly? It's about $40. I'm putting new horns in this week, so maybe I'll scope this out in more detail.

Mine's pretty rusty.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Rochester
Has anyone considered buying a new hood latch assembly? It's about $40. I'm putting new horns in this week, so maybe I'll scope this out in more detail.

Mine's pretty rusty.

You should take it off. Put it on the wire wheel and then primer it and paint it. Save you having to buy a new one.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:56 PM

http://www.velocityshop.com/product/password-jdm-radiator-
stay-bracket-96-00-civic-ek_466.html
That looks like the one i made for myself. you can see it in my sig.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:44 AM

You should take it off. Put it on the wire wheel and then primer it and paint it. Save you having to buy a new one.
Good advice. I need to take a closer look at how the cable is attached and how easily the latch is removed. (I cleaned the bolts one at a time, so IDK.)
Old 10-25-2010, 09:12 AM

Plus paint retains heat. The UIM already retains too much why make it worse?
Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by Froggmann
Plus paint retains heat. The UIM already retains too much why make it worse?
That is why I ceramic coated mine. It does not retain as much heat as polishing or painting it.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Banned

PS: I don't have the car any more but I was the first to paint his engine cover and grill body color.

Thread is bringing back some memories. Let's see if anyone gets the umbrella reference.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:59 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Originally Posted by GBAUER

PS: I don't have the car any more but I was the first to paint his engine cover and grill body color.

Thread is bringing back some memories. Let's see if anyone gets the umbrella reference.

Hmmm.....I am lost for words...
Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

Hmmm.....I am lost for words...
Only because you weren't around for the good times, kid. Us old farts discovered a lot of stuff that you youngin's take for granted.

For instance people actually thought the paint would peel off my engine cover. If it did I was going to just go buy a new one. Another thing was MAF cleaning. I had my max when CRC came out with MAF cleaner (after I replaced the thing! ). Plenum spacers were brand new when I traded my max in. I had the prototype RedlineMax front bumper on my car for a bit even.

The stick looking thing was my dip stick (dry). The engine bay was pretty well known so it needed no explanation. The umbrella... well you'll just have to find someone to ask about that one.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Only because you weren't around for the good times, kid. Us old farts discovered a lot of stuff that you youngin's take for granted.

For instance people actually thought the paint would peel off my engine cover. If it did I was going to just go buy a new one. Another thing was MAF cleaning. I had my max when CRC came out with MAF cleaner (after I replaced the thing! ). Plenum spacers were brand new when I traded my max in. I had the prototype RedlineMax front bumper on my car for a bit even.

The stick looking thing was my dip stick (dry). The engine bay was pretty well known so it needed no explanation. The umbrella... well you'll just have to find someone to ask about that one.
I am still lost for words.

Pardon my scrutiny, although your engine bay looked very good, I am confused as to what we "youngins" take for granted. I guess you are referring that you "old farts" discovering MAF cleaner, plenum spacers, aftermarket bumpers, etc and us younger people not appreciating the findings?

If anything, with the help of us (youngins) technology has advanced so rapidly in last few years that you "old farts" have at your fingertips things that you wouldn't have even dreamed possible back in your heyday.

You are correct, there are those in my generation and newer that take a lot for granted. But I belong to the old new school. One that learns from history's mistakes and attempts to improve what is found as flawed.

So, your dipstick is dry? Hmmm... Still lost on that one. Did you forget to put oil in your engine?

The umbrella bit is funny though. It reminds me of a skit from Hawaii Five-O or something

Sorry OP for the total comment.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Banned

I am still lost for words.

Pardon my scrutiny, although your engine bay looked very good, I am confused as to what we "youngins" take for granted. I guess you are referring that you "old farts" discovering MAF cleaner, plenum spacers, aftermarket bumpers, etc and us younger people not appreciating the findings?

If anything, with the help of us (youngins) technology has advanced so rapidly in last few years that you "old farts" have at your fingertips things that you wouldn't have even dreamed possible back in your heyday.

You are correct, there are those in my generation and newer that take a lot for granted. But I belong to the old new school. One that learns from history's mistakes and attempts to improve what is found as flawed.

So, your dipstick is dry? Hmmm... Still lost on that one. Did you forget to put oil in your engine?

The umbrella bit is funny though. It reminds me of a skit from Hawaii Five-O or something

Sorry OP for the total comment.
I'm not talking about a generational difference: I'm talking about the people who bought the 5.5 gens new vs. the people who bought them second handed.

Those of us who bought them new discovered a TON since it was a new model.

I dried off the dipstick because mine was known to guzzle oil (people used to joke about me leaving an oil slick everywhere I went).

You're taking this FAR too personally and far too deeply! Lighten up a bit!

PS: the umbrella is really funny if you know who to ask about it.

Last edited by GBAUER; 10-25-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
You embarrass me.

GBAUERs cover and grille made me want to paint mine back in the day. True story.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

I'm not talking about a generational difference: I'm talking about the people who bought the 5.5 gens new vs. the people who bought them second handed.

Those of us who bought them new discovered a TON since it was a new model.

I dried off the dipstick because mine was known to guzzle oil (people used to joke about me leaving an oil slick everywhere I went).

You're taking this FAR too personally and far too deeply! Lighten up a bit!

PS: the umbrella is really funny if you know who to ask about it.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Nothing personal. Trust me. Nothing at all.....
Old 10-26-2010, 05:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
GBAUERs cover and grille made me want to paint mine back in the day. True story.
Thank you,sir.

Your car is looking great!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM

Well, let's see...

I'm an original owner of my 2003 Maxima. Bought it brand new over 8 years ago. It's been 20 years since I bought my last second hand car.

And I'm relatively new to the Org. But I think it's safe to say by now that my contributions here have blown past newbie status, and then some.

And I'm very likely older than you. Not that I'm happy or proud of that, but it is what it is. Wish I were younger. (My wife probably does, too. )

So, chill with the assumptions and the labels, because not everyone fits neatly in your assumed demographics. rroderiques77 doesn't. And I sure as heck don't.

Thanks for playing. Nice umbrella.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Banned

Well, let's see...

I'm an original owner of my 2003 Maxima. Bought it brand new over 8 years ago. It's been 20 years since I bought my last second hand car.

And I'm relatively new to the Org. But I think it's safe to say by now that my contributions here have blown past newbie status, and then some.

And I'm very likely older than you. Not that I'm happy or proud of that, but it is what it is. Wish I were younger. (My wife probably does, too. )

So, chill with the assumptions and the labels, because not everyone fits neatly in your assumed demographics. rroderiques77 doesn't. And I sure as heck don't.

Thanks for playing. Nice umbrella.
noob. pfft.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:05 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Well. Lets get back on topic...

Look what came in the mail today

Old 10-26-2010, 02:48 PM

Well. Lets get back on topic...

Look what came in the mail today

Oh, I like the canister. And the caps looks really attractive, too. Not sure how I feel about the welds on the box.

Like to see these on the car. Looks like you've got a weekend project.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:31 PM

My Progress RSB from Cattman came in the mail today. My package is bigger than yours.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 PM

My Progress RSB from Cattman came in the mail today. My package is bigger than yours.
I got a box from Dave B. today, containing a handful of fluid reservoir caps, and a new shift ****.

Sadly, my package is smaller than both you guys.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:34 PM

I got a box from Dave B. today, containing a handful of fluid reservoir caps, and a new shift ****.

Sadly, my package is smaller than both you guys.
Wow John. You just keep going don't you? First you're trying to show everyone your dipstick, then you're talking about how you've worn your **** down, and now you're telling everyone your package is small. I just don't know what to think...
Old 10-26-2010, 06:45 PM

Chrome plating my Altima's radiator support brackets was 45.00 and well worth it.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:53 PM

I tried painting my yellow washer fluid cap a few weeks ago, with black plastic paint, and it did not come out well at all. To be honest, it looks like crap. I don't know how all these people who lay claim to painting their caps are actually pleased with the outcome.

So I bought a washer reservoir cap from a 2007 Nissan Murano in gray, and one from a 2004 Nissan Maxima, in blue.

Both are a perfect fit. I think I like the gray one.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:56 PM

I also bought the radiator overflow bin cap from a 2010 Nissan Murano, which is black, and a perfect fit replacement for our yellow cap.

And lastly, the master cylinder brake fluid reservoir cap from a 2010 Murano. Also in black, and also a perfect fit replacement for our yellow cap.

I have no more yellow under my hood.

And I need a new sig photo...
Old 10-26-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Wow John. You just keep going don't you? First you're trying to show everyone your dipstick, then you're talking about how you've worn your **** down, and now you're telling everyone your package is small. I just don't know what to think...
While you're rolling around in the gutter, don't forget about the hole plugs.

I'm sure we talked about hole plugs at some point here...
Old 10-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I tried painting my yellow washer fluid cap a few weeks ago, with black plastic paint, and it did not come out well at all. To be honest, it looks like crap. I don't know how all these people who lay claim to painting their caps are actually pleased with the outcome.

So I bought a washer reservoir cap from a 2007 Nissan Murano in gray, and one from a 2004 Nissan Maxima, in blue.

Both are a perfect fit. I think I like the gray one.

definitely the grey over the blue. but I would try to go black if you can to match the rest of the caps. you could try sanding down the old yellow cap and giving it another go with the black.

I just think it would flow better.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by vball_max
definitely the grey over the blue. but I would try to go black if you can to match the rest of the caps. you could try sanding down the old yellow cap and giving it another go with the black.

I just think it would flow better.
True about options, since I have two extra washer fluid caps now, I can play. (At only $2/each, that's not a big bragging point.)

But regarding color matching... the engine cover is OEM gray, and the fenders are car-color, which is sheer silver. In other words, I really do think the gray cap works.

And let's be honest here, I am WAY over-analyzing this little project. The important thing is no more yellow.

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)