5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Sure, it's a WTF moment, but it's his first post. Noobs do these things.
Thats why I didnt post what else I wanted to...

Back on topic: I just got some more stainless hardware with collars for my engine bay...

Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 AM

I wasn't totally satisfied with the high-temp conduit on the radiator fan wiring, because I had used 1/4" conduit for the long sections.

So I re-did everything based on what I learned the first time around. This time I started by wrapping the wires in electrical tape, and then tucked them inside 3/8" conduit. I think it looks much, much better this way. It sucks when you do something, but have a nagging feeling that it just wasn't good enough.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 AM

Ever thought about replacing the black rubber hoses with silicone ones?
Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_Max
Ever thought about replacing the black rubber hoses with silicone ones?
Yep. When I first realized that you could get hoses in different colors, I was pretty charged up with the idea. Fortunately I didn't act on it, because after giving it long consideration, I decided that the black rubber look was more appealing. It just looks more appropriate somehow. More serious.

I think my reasoning is that calling attention to a coolant hose seemed an odd thing to showcase. Clamps? Sure. But the hose itself? Nah.

Everything is subjective to the eye of the beholder, blah blah blah.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:37 PM

Semantics. Drawing attention is what you're after. Be it clamps, wire looms, washers.
The important part is that you enjoy what you're doing and you like it.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Toolie

If you do enough, attention will be on the whole picture, not the individual items
Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM

[quote=Rochester;8023172]No, you can't do that, Spock. There's no room.quote]

Yea, you can. There isn't enough room to go a full 270* from where yours is now, but you'll get~ 250* and that's enough for the ears not to be visable from a front view.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Yea, you can. There isn't enough room to go a full 270* from where yours is now, but you'll get~ 250* and that's enough for the ears not to be visable from a front view.
Hmm, you're right. Still not liking the wire clamp, but it's tucked upside down until something better comes along.

Maybe I should start actually looking at my car, instead of looking at pictures of my car?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:02 PM

A black spring clamp similar to one of these would probably "disappear".
Old 04-29-2011, 07:35 PM

I wasn't totally satisfied with the high-temp conduit on the radiator fan wiring, because I had used 1/4" conduit for the long sections.

So I re-did everything based on what I learned the first time around. This time I started by wrapping the wires in electrical tape, and then tucked them inside 3/8" conduit. I think it looks much, much better this way. It sucks when you do something, but have a nagging feeling that it just wasn't good enough.

That pic may have just inspired me to do the same thing, on my Altima.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Hmm, Maybe I should start actually looking at my car, instead of looking at pictures of my car?
^^ ya but by doing more picture looking, I bet your getting excellent fuel economy !!!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Anybody else using a SRI where you can see the filter gasket?

Well, the one that comes with the Apexi pop-charger is this marble-blue color. I never really liked it.

So I filled-in the visible area (and edge) with a black sharpie, then lightly smoothed it out with black primer.

And while the adapter plate was off, figured I should polish it a little.

Much better.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:58 PM

Anybody else using a SRI where you can see the filter gasket?

Well, the one that comes with the Apexi pop-charger is this marble-blue color. I never really liked it.

So I filled-in the visible area (and edge) with a black sharpie, then lightly smoothed it out with black primer.

And while the adapter plate was off, figured I should polish it a little.

Much better.

lol, you'll rarely see that! Cool nontheless. What flash and lens do you use? I have a 50mm on a t2i, wanting to get a 430EX external flash in the next month.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by VisciousMo
lol, you'll rarely see that! Cool nontheless. What flash and lens do you use? I have a 50mm on a t2i, wanting to get a 430EX external flash in the next month.
Thanks. Details, baby. Details.

I don't really know photography lingo or equipment... the pictures are taken with a 7-year old Canon G3, (which is a 4 megapixel point-n-shoot). The lighting is from a Canon 420EX external bounce flash.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM

A few weeks ago, I was complaining about the pinch-style hose clamp on the radiator overflow hose. As spock pointed out, you can twist it under and out of the way. But it looks so bare... it doesn't have any presence.

And yes, I know how dumb that sounds. But I'm going with it anyway.

This is a Mr. Gasket 1/4" stainless-steel worm-clamp, with an aluminum cap in a polished titanium finish.

I'm liking it so much, I think I'm going to get a couple more for my evap lines.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:04 PM

I love the filter detail Rochester, that looks so much better.

Now on to this clamp, I have to point out my cynical view. You say the old clamp lacks presance, then you toss on a "hey look at me!" clamp

I'm just poking the bear maybe, but I really don't like it, can we get a shot from farther back (overlooking bay). I suspect it sticks out like a sore thumb in your overly clean bay. The other reason I think, is the colour/finish doesn't match the NISMO Rad cap.

Details baby, details.

OAN I still vote for total removal, I think that would look best on that particular hose.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I'm just poking the bear maybe, but I really don't like it, can we get a shot from farther back (overlooking bay). I suspect it sticks out like a sore thumb in your overly clean bay. The other reason I think, is the colour/finish doesn't match the NISMO Rad cap.
That's OK, I welcome your opinions, Tuner. The finish doesn't match the Rad cap sticker, that's true. But it matches close enough plenty of other items in the bay. For example, the titanium counter-sunks in the JDM fender washers on the engine cover. But not that rusty valve cover bolt... that's still unresolved. Look away from the rusty valve cover bolt.

Here's your shot, a little further back and straight on. I'm still liking it.

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
OAN I still vote for total removal, I think that would look best on that particular hose.
Not a democracy, champ.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-19-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 PM

I like the look of the worm clamp. For the valve cover bolts I used a combination of the bench wire wheel and OOO Steel Wool on the top of the nut. I also used 000 Steel Wool with Black Magic Tire Wet to clean up the upper intake manifold. I wonder if a new set of valve cover bolts properly powder coated would hold up to the abuse of a wrench during the install?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by 03Alt3.5Biz
I wonder if a new set of valve cover bolts properly powder coated would hold up to the abuse of a wrench during the install?
I'm pretty sure they would, because the torque applied to the VC's is pretty light. The bolts are only $3.84/ea at Courtesy Parts. It wouldn't be more than a $15 total for powdercoating... and I'd only need 6 of them as the visible bolts.

That's a great idea. I'm going to keep that one in my pocket as an option when addressing the front VC bolts. I need to buy a good inch/pound torque wrench first.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:07 PM

Hey John, other than dressupbolts.com, what places did you find to be the best when ordering bolts/nuts/countersunk & collared fender bolts, etc?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
Hey John, other than dressupbolts.com, what places did you find to be the best when ordering bolts/nuts/countersunk & collared fender bolts, etc?
eBay. Just ebay.

And oddly enough, bike stores like this place here, which works out well for you Canadians.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Brake Booster vacuum line, using 1/2" Mr. Gasket stainless-steel worm-clamps, with an aluminum cap in a titanium finish.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:59 PM

Brake Booster vacuum line, using 1/2" Mr. Gasket stainless-steel worm-clamps, with an aluminum cap in a titanium finish.

That looks really nice. You should use some steel wool to get rid of the lettering/numbering on the side of the brake booster hose (and any other hoses it may be on)
Old 05-20-2011, 04:57 PM

That does look good. Which site on ebay has these?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
That looks really nice. You should use some steel wool to get rid of the lettering/numbering on the side of the brake booster hose (and any other hoses it may be on)
Thanks, and good point. I was already considering that. But in this case the lettering is on the underside of the hose, and you can't see it when on the car. So I didn't bother. That, and you're seeing it because of the photo & flash. In real life, it pretty much disappears.

Originally Posted by 03Alt3.5Biz
That does look good. Which site on ebay has these?
These weren't from ebay. I purchased them from SummitRacing.com. They come in a titanium finish, black, and polished aluminum. The prices and shipping costs are fair, they support paypal transactions, and the shipment is almost weirdly fast. Very professional.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...ress+up&RC=100

Last edited by Rochester; 05-20-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:41 AM

These 1/2" clamps are a really, really tight fit. You have to be patient with their fitment around the hose, particularly when jamming the pipe into it. What I figured out is that if you disconnect every point except for the UIM side of the pieces, you can swivel the entire 3-piece section up for each access. In that way, you can install the middle clamps with their worm-clamp screw to the backside, out of view.

It's a clean look that way, and an easier approach to doing each one at a time.

I also replaced that old yellowed firewall retainer with a couple small black zip ties. And I cut about a 1/2" off the brake-booster end of the hose, so it was a little more flush.

Anyway, I like it.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:58 AM

These 1/2" clamps are a really, really tight fit. You have to be patient with their fitment around the hose, particularly when jamming the pipe into it. What I figured out is that if you disconnect every point except for the UIM side of the pieces, you can swivel the entire 3-piece section up for each access. In that way, you can install the middle clamps with their worm-clamp screw to the backside, out of view.

It's a clean look that way, and an easier approach to doing each one at a time.

I also replaced that old yellowed firewall retainer with a couple small black zip ties. And I cut about a 1/2" off the brake-booster end of the hose, so it was a little more flush.

Anyway, I like it.

I like it too!!!! Take a full picture of that engine bay/work of art! You have pretty good taste!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:33 AM

Since I had an extra MAF housing lying around, I painted it black and installed it with the MAF sensor turned around from the 10:00 position to the 2:00 position. Then I applied new high-temp wire conduit, and polished the bolts, brackets and clamps.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:31 PM

For those of you with a SRI, have you ever noticed the front VC breather that goes to that extension on the mid-pipe? That little 5/8" extension is welded directly to the mid-pipe. And the weld is... well, it's a weld. It always looked a little crude to me, but is what it is.

Anyway, I was looking for something in my junk-drawer, and noticed this little rubber washer thing left over from some long ago plumbing project. I was staring at this interesting little thing, thinking, "I can use that somewhere..." -- when it occurred to me exactly where.

It fits perfectly, and gives a nice, finished look. Here's the before:

And here's the after.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-03-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Name that Hose

The keys to my wife's Honda are here for perspective.

Can you name that little rubber hose? Those are 1/4" clamps on it.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM

That's OK, I welcome your opinions, Tuner. The finish doesn't match the Rad cap sticker, that's true. But it matches close enough plenty of other items in the bay. For example, the titanium counter-sunks in the JDM fender washers on the engine cover. But not that rusty valve cover bolt... that's still unresolved. Look away from the rusty valve cover bolt.

Here's your shot, a little further back and straight on. I'm still liking it.

Not a democracy, champ.

Looking good Rochester and i have that same rusty bolt lol
Old 06-09-2011, 06:59 PM

Everything is so clean and shiny. Except for your air filter. Time to wash or replace by the looks of it.
Just yankin' your chain, John. You have a lot of patience and pride of ownership.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Thanks, spock. That Apexi pop-charger... I replace it every two years.

What I don't have at the moment is a functioning bounce flash. It seems my Canon Speedlite 420EX has died. Which sucks, because I just bought two M10 x 60mm, titanium, tapered allenheads. These are to replace the chrome-steel pins connecting the FSTB to the strut brackets. Unfortunately, I can't take a decent photo at the moment.

My bounce flash is dead.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:18 PM

The keys to my wife's Honda are here for perspective.

Can you name that little rubber hose? Those are 1/4" clamps on it.

Hose between the PVC and intake manifold or off the front valve cover to the intake?
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by luvlexus101
Hose between the PVC and intake manifold or off the front valve cover to the intake?
Nope. Close guess though, with regard to length, but the PVC hose is a larger diameter.

This is the EVAP return line from the solenoid to the UIM.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-10-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Had some free time today so decided to clean up the bay a little bit

Old 06-22-2011, 12:14 AM

350Z IM

Did this in April. Finally got pictures...
Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 AM

^that might be effective, power wise, but thats not pretty lol. sorry no hate, i just never liked those IM.

OAN: Rochester...cotdamn man, i'm seriously jealous.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
^that might be effective, power wise, but thats not pretty lol. sorry no hate, i just never liked those IM.
I agree. tcb_02_max has an impressive list of mods, and that 350Z IM is sure unique... but those pictures are the total opposite of the thread topic. That engine bay is anti-pretty.

Sorry, tcb_02_max, but the pride is in the mods, not the looks. What you've got there is a seriously ugly chick who's awesome in bed.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:08 AM

Fabolous said it best...'i'd rather have a ugly car that rides good, than a sexy car that cant go nowhere..id rather have a ugly girl w/ good puss, than a sexy girl w/ weak puss'

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)