5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by rroderiques77
I would love to yank the motor out and paint the engine bay to go along with it, but for right now this will have to do.
I wanted to use the OEM black cap as the NISMO cap would have taken away from the cover. I see what you mean about the stickers and clamps.
If you pull the engine for detailing & dress-up... the mind reels with possibilities. Of course, you'd probably be off-road for months with that kind of work.

Gloss black bay, huh? Interesting.

Again, the cover looks awesome, Roy. Well done.

Have you tried your local hardware store for the the t-bolt clamps?
For the SRI, I used 3.0", stainless-steel, t-bolt clamps from Spectre, bought at my local Pep Boys. (ugh)

For clamps in other diameters, there's this website: http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index...35819a547c06f1

Last edited by Rochester; 08-03-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Just ordered them. Thanks!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:14 AM

wow..i cant believe the mounting bracket to the strut tower on the frankencar actually held up on your car for this long..mine snapped in 2 after a year or so..but i didnt have my ES mounts..

Originally Posted by Rochester
Old 08-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Just to play and experiment, I ordered a set (5 pieces) of these JDM fender washers in red. Four for the 2 pairs of bolts on the headlights, and one for the support bar on my SRI.

I also ordered a bag (5 nuts) of those polished titanium 6M flange nuts. Four for the radiator and bumper connectors on the front cross member. (one left over).

If any of it looks good, I'll take pictures when they show up next week sometime. If not, I will sheepishly mark this effort as wasted time and money, and take my lumps accordingly.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just to play and experiment, I ordered a set (5 pieces) of these JDM fender washers in red. Four for the 2 pairs of bolts on the headlights, and one for the support bar on my SRI.

I also ordered a bag (5 nuts) of those polished titanium 6M flange nuts. Four for the radiator and bumper connectors on the front cross member. (one left over).

If any of it looks good, I'll take pictures when they show up next week sometime. If not, I will sheepishly mark this effort as wasted time and money, and take my lumps accordingly.

im interested in how it turns out.

i like those blue ones in the second pic

B
Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

I tried painting mine, but it didn't work. Rochester, do you have part #s on yours. I may go the same route as well.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by HotshotVQ35
wow..i cant believe the mounting bracket to the strut tower on the frankencar actually held up on your car for this long..mine snapped in 2 after a year or so..but i didnt have my ES mounts..
Yeah, I noticed too, and it looks like it is holding pretty well. My current SRI has a bracket holding the Apexi filter from the bottom and I don't really like it. But I prefer Rochester Frankencar's bracket better, does anyone sell the bracket itself or do I have to make my own?

Rochester, the black radiator hoses would match your engine bay better MO. Since no for sparktec, ebay would be the next option?
Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Yeah, I noticed too, and it looks like it is holding pretty well. My current SRI has a bracket holding the Apexi filter from the bottom and I don't really like it. But I prefer Rochester Frankencar's bracket better, does anyone sell the bracket itself or do I have to make my own?
Since mine never broke, I never knew it was an issue.

You're going to have to cut and twist your own bracket. I can't imagine it would be a big deal, just lots of trial-and-error.

Another possibility is to reach out to Berk and see what they have.

Originally Posted by The6spdMax
Rochester, the black radiator hoses would match your engine bay better MO. Since no for sparktec, ebay would be the next option?
Agreed. After originally discovering that hoses come in colors, and toying with the idea of red hoses, I've since calmed down and realized a red hose would be too "much". Little red accents punctuated here and there... that's more appealing to me.

Funny how much this thread has motivated me to focus on under-the-hood details. So far, I've done 2 things that I'd never even considered before this, and have some nut-n-bolt bling in the mail. Fun stuff!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:05 PM

I tried painting mine, but it didn't work. Rochester, do you have part #s on yours. I may go the same route as well.
All of these parts are Metric M6, both bolts and nuts. M6 seems to be some kind of universally used metric measurement on Japanese cars. I'm sure someone here can explain the root of it, (2slow? Spock? LightonTheHill?). Anyway, I've been slowing observing this on my own lately.

Based on that, pick your poison, Roy.

Both sets are in the mail right now. I figure I'll be playing with them by weekend or early next week. I'm sure to post pictures back here. Even if the look totally sucks and I'm going to back it out. I'm not proud.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-03-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Specd_out
One thing that i have done on my spec and i plan on doing on the max, is to cut the maf housing. basically eliminate the 4 bolts that hold on the maf adapter plate. This eliminates the ugly maf adapter and makes a clean uniform intake.

You will lose the ability to mount the stock airbox on but for some of us its not a big deal. You will also loose the screen in the maf, For me this isnt a big deal. Nissan eliminated the screen in a few 04+ vehicles. So its obviously not really needed.

Heres a pic of it. dont mind the ghetto worm clamp. My t-bolt stripped and i needed a quick fix
I cut mine too. Just seemed like something that would leak under boost with that crappy flange.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:46 PM

Funny how much this thread has motivated me to focus on under-the-hood details. So far, I've done 2 things that I'd never even considered before this, and have some nut-n-bolt bling in the mail. Fun stuff!
You're welcome but seriously, me too. I never even would have considered doing a bunch of this stuff a few weeks ago. All these suggestions etc have been great.
So I'm gonna polish my IM on Thursday when I help my buddy install his QA1 coilovers on his boosted Tacoma (he's got some air tools that I don't have). So we'll see how that looks with my black and red engine theme.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM

jowo9, it looks like you've been going after your wiring and wire-looms in red. In that theme, you can get a Grounding Kit all in red wire.

If/when I get a grounding kit, it will be black. But I'm just saying...

You know, I'm a little embarrassed how much I've whored this thread. But in my defense, I'm on topic, and you seem happy too, OP.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-03-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 AM

This is what I do...

Custom air brushed engine cover
Here's an idea, Roy... paint your 3 rectangular, black relay casings gloss black to match your engine cover. You've got a FSM, so you really don't need the relay identifications on the covers.

This would be inexpensive and doable by simply uncapping the covers. And it would spread the gloss black around the bay some more for continuity.

What do you think?

Or gloss black, with the word "rroderiques77" down it in fiery red.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:26 AM

Not a performance thread, but yes... I share your priorities for the most part, Perk.

To that end, while the OEM exhaust manifold is less than optimal, I'm content with my Cattman y-pipe and 2.5" catback for the remaining time that I drive this car.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Call me crazy, but after all this talk about chroming things, I wonder how this adapter would look blasted smooth and chromed?

The process of chrome plating goes like this: Acid wash, fresh water rinse twice, then they polish the part until it is shinny, then it goes back to another bath to clean residu. There is 3 differents chrome process, copper first then its nickel and finally chrome wich is the last. The generally do a finishing polish at the end. So to answer your question that part will look great.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Here's an idea, Roy... paint your 3 rectangular, black relay casings gloss black to match your engine cover. You've got a FSM, so you really don't need the relay identifications on the covers.

This would be inexpensive and doable by simply uncapping the covers. And it would spread the gloss black around the bay some more for continuity.

What do you think?

Or gloss black, with the word "rroderiques77" down it in fiery red.
I like the idea. But I was thinking about getting a cover on that side of the engine bay, much like Chernmax's.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0503_large.jpg

I am sure that is not a stock piece.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

This is what I do...

Custom air brushed engine cover
I was just about to question how the hell your wastegate is attached to the down pipe vs. the feedpipe... Then I saw that it actually is attached to the feed, the dump is just routed to the exhaust. They did a good job on your setup man. And good work on the engine cover.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 AM

I like the idea. But I was thinking about getting a cover on that side of the engine bay, much like Chernmax's.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_...0503_large.jpg

I am sure that is not a stock piece.
Sure? I thought the 6th gens started that practice of using a side-cover. Maybe I'm wrong. Even so, you'd have to have it custom-made to fit our cars.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
I was just about to question how the hell your wastegate is attached to the down pipe vs. the feedpipe... Then I saw that it actually is attached to the feed, the dump is just routed to the exhaust. They did a good job on your setup man. And good work on the engine cover.
i want a turbo...i think that would make my engine bay pretty.

B
Old 08-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Demodded and Forgotten

Sure? I thought the 6th gens started that practice of using a side-cover. Maybe I'm wrong. Even so, you'd have to have it custom-made to fit our cars.
You're right. I just contacted local Nissan dealership and the 6th gens come stock with both driver and passenger side covers. I went ahead and ordered them. Once I get them, I will know which type of modifications I need to make or possibly one being custom made.

And the question is: Should I paint them gloss black to match the cover or body color instead?

Last edited by rroderiques77; 08-04-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:45 PM

You're right. I just contacted local Nissan dealership and the 6th gens come stock with both driver and passenger side covers. I went ahead and ordered them. Once I get them, I will know which type of modifications I need to make or possibly one being custom made.

And the question is: Should I paint them gloss black to match the cover or body color instead?
You went ahead and bought them, without researching fitment? Holy cow, do you move at a far different pace with mods than I do, Roy!

If you can make it work acceptably, and are looking for paint opinions, then yes, I recommend gloss black, but with some kind of fire-red-orange-yellow accent to tie it in with your engine cover. Nothing too big or obvious, just an accent of some kind. Maybe on each side, a low fire smoldering towards the front, with a hint of flame rising up the edge.

Obviously, I'm just brainstorming.

...so now I'm looking at the 6th gen engine bay, and I don't see how the side-covers would work in our cars. But you must have something in mind, so I'll just wait and see.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-04-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:46 PM

jowo9, it looks like you've been going after your wiring and wire-looms in red. In that theme, you can get a Grounding Kit all in red wire.

If/when I get a grounding kit, it will be black. But I'm just saying...

You know, I'm a little embarrassed how much I've whored this thread. But in my defense, I'm on topic, and you seem happy too, OP.
Huh. Yeah. I might do a grounding kit someday. Red could look good. And Rochester, I have appreciated all of your input. You've whored the thread with great style keep it up haha.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

You went ahead and bought them, without researching fitment? Holy cow, do you move at a far different pace with mods than I do, Roy!

If you can make it work acceptably, and are looking for paint opinions, then yes, I recommend gloss black, but with some kind of fire-red-orange-yellow accent to tie it in with your engine cover. Nothing too big or obvious, just an accent of some kind. Maybe on each side, a low fire smoldering towards the front, with a hint of flame rising up the edge.

Obviously, I'm just brainstorming.

...so now I'm looking at the 6th gen engine bay, and I don't see how the side-covers would work in our cars. But you must have something in mind, so I'll just wait and see.
I can return the parts if they don't fit. Besides, they both only cost $11.

I am sure I will have to modify them in order to make them fit. They will give me a baseline in case I have to make my own.

Last edited by rroderiques77; 08-05-2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 AM

OP, this other thread just bumped, and I realized it was yours as well.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-led-mods.html

Interesting lighting mods. Amazing attention to detail. If you put even half as much of that energy into your engine bay, I'm sure you'll come up with something unique and creative.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:10 AM

OP, this other thread just bumped, and I realized it was yours as well.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-led-mods.html

Interesting lighting mods. Amazing attention to detail. If you put even half as much of that energy into your engine bay, I'm sure you'll come up with something unique and creative.
haha, yeah, I kinda have a thing for LEDs... and thanks I think I'll get it looking good eventually. I'm just flat broke at the moment, so can't afford to dress it up all nice.
Speaking of LEDs, this one's mine too Rochester:
http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/601377-led-gauge-conversion-109-leds.html
(Ok, for some reason, posting the link isn't working...)

Last edited by jowo9; 08-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:38 AM

i just finished my engine covers last night did mine grey and one piece metallic purple with the silver letters turned out pretty good if i say so myself LOL
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jav_Vela
i just finished my engine covers last night did mine grey and one piece metallic purple with the silver letters turned out pretty good if i say so myself LOL

pics would help

B
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by jav_Vela
Why the crap would you even post that without pics??!! Come on now, don't leave us hangin like that!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM

So I finally got around to polishing my IM. All I can say is WOW, that took longer than I thought it would... It's far from perfect, but I decided that the many many more hours it would take to get it absolutely perfect weren't worth it. IMO, it looks really good right now, and I'm happy with it. What does everyone think? Looks good with the black engine cover eh?:

Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 PM
My axles cry for mercy...

Nice... You did it by hand? What materials did you use? I've got a spare IM here that I think I might do that to.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Without blasting, just elbow grease? That's amazing. You took the UIM and intake plenum off the car, right? The end result looks great, now tell us how you did that, please.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM

Those dress-up nuts & bolts arrived today. You can see them here in this picture along the top, with what they're replacing along the bottom.

First off, the titanium flange nuts are pretty cool. Weirdly feather-light in your hand, super strong and polished, but not chrome-like. However, nice as they are, they aren't nice enough to be that much better than 6M stainless nuts with stainless washers. It just wasn't worth it. Since I already bought them, I'm keeping the nuts. but in hindsight, this was a boner move... unless you're going for color.

The Password-JDM collars are keepers because I like them. It adds just a little accent of red in nice balance, 2 over each headlight. I was hoping to be able to remove the Password-JDM branding on them, but it's on really well, and not coming off. Here's an after-picture:

Unfortunately, I only got 4 of the titanium nuts, when they said a pack was 5. At $3/nut, that's not cool.

With the aluminum collars, however, I did receive all 5 pairs. So I used the entry one for my SRI tie-down. Here's the before close-up:

And here's the after shot:

And here's the current SRI setup... pretty much done. Although I am thinking about getting that Apexi Adapter.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-06-2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Those dress-up nuts & bolts arrived today. You can see them here in this picture along the top, with what they're replacing along the bottom.

First off, the titanium flange nuts are pretty cool. Weirdly feather-light in your hand, super strong and polished, but not chrome-like. However, nice as they are, they aren't nice enough to be that much better than 6M stainless nuts with stainless washers. It just wasn't worth it. Since I already bought them, I'm keeping the nuts. but in hindsight, this was a boner move... unless you're going for color.

The Password-JDM collars are keepers because I like them. It adds just a little accent of red in nice balance, 2 over each headlight. I was hoping to be able to remove the Password-JDM branding on them, but it's on really well, and not coming off. Here's an after-picture:

Unfortunately, I only got 4 of the titanium nuts, when they said a pack was 5. At $3/nut, that's not cool.

With the aluminum collars, however, I did receive all 5 pairs. So I used the entry one for my SRI tie-down. Here's the before close-up:

And here's the after shot:

And here's the current SRI setup... pretty much done. Although I am thinking about getting that Apexi Adapter.

It looks all right. I was thinking for some reason that you were getting black nuts for the headlights.

I would face the t-bolts for your SRI inward so you can't see them.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM

I would face the t-bolts for your SRI inward so you can't see them.
Was thinking that exact same thing this evening. Get out of my head, Roy!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by essential1
Nice... You did it by hand? What materials did you use? I've got a spare IM here that I think I might do that to.
Without blasting, just elbow grease? That's amazing. You took the UIM and intake plenum off the car, right? The end result looks great, now tell us how you did that, please.
Well let me tell you... I used my buddy's air sander and started w/ 80 grit sanding pads. Then I proceeded to 120->240->300->400-> then sanding by hand with 800->1500->2000. Then I came to my favorite part/product: Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. I use it on my Cattman 3" exhaust tips and it works like a charm. It took several hours, and there are a quite a few little imperfections that you can see in person... and I only did the visible parts... but IMHO, they don't detract from the awesome appearance at all. It's an ENGINE! Oh, and yes, I did take the UIM and Plenum off (which I hate doing now that I have spacers installed... not really a fan of reapplying the RTV gasket maker and making sure I get a good seal when there's old RTV still hanging around). I'd seen some pics of polished IM's with the stock colored engine cover, but I love how this looks with my black setup. And it really ties everything in to the chrome NISSAN logo on the cover too don't you think? Couldn't be happier! Here, look again hehe

Last edited by jowo9; 08-06-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Demodded and Forgotten

Was thinking about polishing my UIM lately. Specially with the new engine cover and all. Hmmm....
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM

this is what I did

oh wait, I have a different car now. mehhh.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:56 AM

^^^
That was gratuitous BS. And a pretty uninspired expanse of flat plastic, too.

Fail.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:05 PM

^^^
That was gratuitous BS. And a pretty uninspired expanse of flat plastic, too.

Fail.
hummm

Last edited by jasonmax; 08-08-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Jason, the point of the thread is how to bring out the bling under the hood in the Maxima, not how to hide the engine. If that were the thread, your Mazda would own it hands down.

Fascinating FSTB, by the way. But otherwise, kind of pointless posts.

And now there's a massive picture of an RX7 engine bay messing up the thread layout. Nice.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-08-2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:46 PM

Yeah, get a couple more square feet of black plastic in there and that's all you'll see! Might as well just close the hood...

Quick Reply: What do you do to make your engine look pretty? :)