5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2001 5 month recap

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:17 PM

2001 5 month recap

I got my 2001 GLE around the begining of July, with about 133000 miles. It was fairly well maintained.

Since then, I flushed the transmission fluid (about 134000 miles), replaced the coils, flushed the power steering fluid, flushed the brake fluid, installed the sagging spare tire cover fix, installed the ground kit (had dealer replace transmission ground) and replaced the tires.

Right now the car is running very nice. Tight suspension, good gas mileage, quiet and smooth, transmission shifts beautifully . . .

I am very satisified so far with the Max. It looks nice inside and out, has great pickup, and is very dependable so far.

After reading about the (potential) weak spots . . . I am planning on replacing the radiator, the idle air valve, and possibly the motor mounts.

My goal is solid transportation, good economy, and reliability.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:11 PM

Between all the things you have done and with the planned items, I'm sure you will achieve your goal.

However, I go by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim, so I wouldn't replace the radiator, motor mounts or idle air valve unless they are bad.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Congrats. You have picked up a very reliable and comfortable car
I've had mine for about 13k and the only thing I had to replace was my radiator because it cracked when I crashed It starts up on first turned key without a problem and runs very solid. I couldn't love any other car more than mine
Old 11-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Between all the things you have done and with the planned items, I'm sure you will achieve your goal.

However, I go by the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim, so I wouldn't replace the radiator, motor mounts or idle air valve unless they are bad.
IACV should be replaced if old to prevent it from frying the ECU, though.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

The coolant is due to be flushed - prev owner flushed coolant, changed thermostats, etc about 3 years ago @ 100,000 miles.

My thinking here is that I can pick up a radiator in the 100.00 range, and plan to replace hoses as well. Hopefully this (coolant flush) prolongs the life of the water pump, and the new radiator and hoses prevent a breakdown on the road somewhere.

Reading the posts here tells me that the stock radiator (partially made of plastic) very frequently leaks around the 10 year mark, due to the thermal expansion and wear on the plastic.

OPINIOINS WANTED on the idea of bypassing the coolant supply to the idle air control valve instead of replacing the valve. Seems a leading cause of failure is the gasket leaking and coolant shorting it (along with the ECU) out.

I am keeping an eye on the motor mounts. Plan to replace them at first signs of wear. The car doesn't seem to have been baked too harshly (meaning driven like you stole it) and I have the idea that many or most problems Max owners experience (save the coils, idle air, motor mounts) are caused by ******* the car, or modifying to the point of creating breakdowns due to over stressing parts past the design limits.

Bottom line, if I can invest a few hundred to avoid likely breakdowns its worth it to me. Aircraft have preventionary overhauls done at intervals designed to maximize useful life of components - just shy of the threshold of statistically likely failures.

Last edited by Intrepid1; 11-27-2010 at 05:15 AM.