5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone else swap out motor mounts and regret it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 AM

Anyone else swap out motor mounts and regret it?

I swapped mine out, and really miss the smooth idle with the mounts (mine weren't damaged). I'm thinking of getting stock ones. Two questions:
1)Anyone else do the swap and feel the same way?
2)Should I replace both front and rear mounts, or just the front with the harness?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:37 AM

No. I don't know what everybody talks abaut the car vibrating at idle with polyurathane mounts. I got the energy suspension inserts and it doesn't vibrate like everybody says it does.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by maxima.713
No. I don't know what everybody talks abaut the car vibrating at idle with polyurathane mounts. I got the energy suspension inserts and it doesn't vibrate like everybody says it does.
Did you also swap bushings? I did these as well and wonder if they might also be contributing to the issue
Old 02-24-2011, 06:51 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I had solid motor mounts in my Chevelle, vibration was very minimal although the cam lope could be felt at idle. I'd imagine urethane mounts would transmit even less.

If it bothers you though, go back to stock.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:52 AM

If you mean the subframe bushings then no. The ones that are on there are preety solid
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 AM

Regret it? No way... best mod ever on this car.

There's a personal and fine line to be had between comfort and "feel" of the car. For myself, I distinctly remember the day those ES bushings were pressed into the torque mounts. It was such a rush, feeling more attuned to the car. And of course, the efficiency benefits of laying down torque to the pavement better... that was undeniable. I will never go back to OEM mount bushings. Never.

But you can do whatever you want to, OP. It's your car.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:13 AM

I have inserts on my 93 altima auto. You can deff feel it more then I did on my 5 speed altima when in drive at a light. I am curious to see who is auto and who is standard.

Another thing to think about is if any of the untouched mounts are damaged. When my auto shook bad I replaced the side and trans mount and it got a lot better but was still rough. I liked the pluses from the mod so I couldnt go back to stock and the vibration was not bad enough to cause concern to me or passengers.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 AM

I swapped out my mounts to non poly but also non electrical.
I would say the vibration is there but barely noticable. If your car is in good tune you should not have any issues.
I have noticed when i fill up with regular vs premium I can now feel it at idle! LOL
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by kukx30de
I swapped out my mounts to non poly but also non electrical.
I would say the vibration is there but barely noticable. If your car is in good tune you should not have any issues.
I have noticed when i fill up with regular vs premium I can now feel it at idle! LOL

lol. Not good. I thought we were suposed to use 91 and up?
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 AM

yeah... but i am not particular about it... my car has high miles and i rarely push her above 3K. for the kind of driving I do... regular has been working fine
Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by kukx30de
yeah... but i am not particular about it... my car has high miles and i rarely push her above 3K. for the kind of driving I do... regular has been working fine

If it works for you I guess. I would think it would do harm in the long run. And switch gas octanes in my opinion would be worse. I would think if 87 works I would stay there instead of making the ecu constantly relearn.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:06 AM

I hear ya... made it to 199 ok.... i need this car for about 3 yrs more... i dont think i shud have any issues... if i were to push her hard.. yes i would def be using 93
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM

I really feel it at idle. It could be my shot rod bearings, buts its pretty bad, I can feel every vibration of the engine. None of the mounts are shot, they are all new as of August. I'm just wondering if I get a new engine if I should also get new mounts with it
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jgilbs
I really feel it at idle. It could be my shot rod bearings, buts its pretty bad, I can feel every vibration of the engine. None of the mounts are shot, they are all new as of August. I'm just wondering if I get a new engine if I should also get new mounts with it

Where did you get the mounts from? I had gotten some autozone and ebay side and trans mounts for my 93 altima and it was worse then the broken oem. I went with brand new oem and all was better.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 AM

eBay...you're probably right, they are probably the culprits. They didnt want to fit on the crossmember without some help from my good friend, Dr. Sledgehammer. Also, when I tried to bolt in the front mount, I couldnt get a bolt in the hole because the hole was filled with rubber that I needed to drill out. I might ask them to toss in some new ones with a new motor.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:26 AM

I hv all 4 ebay mounts... they were the cheapest! $99 for all 4 no issues yet in about 30K miles.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:01 AM

I bought a passenger side mount from ebay and just filled it with polyurethane lol
Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 PM

It's pretty funny, most of you who do all these mods to your cars then bizitch about the ill effects of making those mods, even if you spin it in a positive way. "Well, my shocks make my teeth shatter now when I hit a pebble, but OMG it corners awesome!!", stuff like that.

Think about it, Nissan spent millions upon millions of dollars developing the car, contracting with parts suppliers, etc... Why do you think some Ebay company with no budget will do a better job than OEM?

I've modded a couple of the cars I owned in the past and almost always regretted it (even if I wouldn't admit it to myself). Droning exhaust, super hard suspension, vibration transmitting motor mounts, etc... The tradeoffs for a lot of mods aren't worth it, not to mention they cause other things to break at times. I like my Max stock, I think they struck a great balance between comfort and performance that is hard to beat.

Hmmm, maybe my problem with mods is that I'm OLD now??
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Maxident
It's pretty funny, most of you who do all these mods to your cars then bizitch about the ill effects of making those mods, even if you spin it in a positive way. "Well, my shocks make my teeth shatter now when I hit a pebble, but OMG it corners awesome!!", stuff like that.

Think about it, Nissan spent millions upon millions of dollars developing the car, contracting with parts suppliers, etc... Why do you think some Ebay company with no budget will do a better job than OEM?

I've modded a couple of the cars I owned in the past and almost always regretted it (even if I wouldn't admit it to myself). Droning exhaust, super hard suspension, vibration transmitting motor mounts, etc... The tradeoffs for a lot of mods aren't worth it, not to mention they cause other things to break at times. I like my Max stock, I think they struck a great balance between comfort and performance that is hard to beat.

, I agree. Thats why in my sig. I say "leavn the modn' to u guys!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 PM

Swapped my electric mounts to ebay ones, while I don't mind a little vibration its when things in the cabin start to make a little rattle noise. When I hold it, it'll stop but let go and it vibrates again, rare occasions though.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 AM

Im ordering mine this weekend,Id rather have a little vibration at idle,Than a sloppy front suspension that sways under hard acceleration and wheelhops like a jackhammer
Old 02-26-2011, 06:58 AM

i'm planning to order racingline motor mounts.. any experience/feedback before i purchase them?
Old 02-26-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SH1FT_nismo
i'm planning to order racingline motor mounts.. any experience/feedback before i purchase them?
The only thing Racingline sells for the 5th gen Maxima is a FSTB and Battery tie-down... so you're probably not going to get much feedback on that here, I'm guessing.

But Racingline does manufacture good stuff. If you can get their attention, and get something shipped to your door... go for it.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 AM

One of the best mod's I have had done, the vibration at idle is minimal at best and not there once in motion. I have two videos to show the engine when under torque.

First on the dyno is the stock motor mount setup
http://upload.streetfire.net/video/S...yno_111916.htm

Second on the dyno is with ES motor mounts and sub bushings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7FO-AhN64

Here is the stock mount setup & cross member

Here is the ES mounts and Sub bushings setup
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

I'll be 50 in a few months, I don't consider myself old. If I did, I wouldn't have put 4585 miles on my road bike last year.

If I can enhance the performance without seriously degrading ride quality or adding a lot of noise, I'll do it. GAB, block plate, spacers, FTSB, larger rear anti-roll bar are all mods you can do to make the car more fun without making the ride unduly harsh or the engine overly loud.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:02 AM

No, age isn't your problem. It's lack of research.

Everything I've done to my car was deliberate and enjoyed. It's very slowly evolved to the point where I feel my Maxima is perfectly customized to my tastes, how I like to drive, and what I like to drive.

To piggyback on Scott's sentiments... I'm 47. And I love my modified 4-door.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:07 AM

^^^^ What he said, and I just turned 57, and enjoy doing the research and customizing my car. So age really is not a factor in any way, other than it takes me longer to haul my a$$ out from under my car.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:11 AM

There it is. Hi, Ghost!

The Trifecta of Testimonials from some of the more, um, mature members on the Org.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:36 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Rochester
There it is. Hi, Ghost!

The Trifecta of Testimonials from some of the more, um, mature members on the Org.

154 years of wisdom just spoke. Wow.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
No, age isn't your problem. It's lack of research.

Everything I've done to my car was deliberate and enjoyed. It's very slowly evolved to the point where I feel my Maxima is perfectly customized to my tastes, how I like to drive, and what I like to drive.

To piggyback on Scott's sentiments... I'm 47. And I love my modified 4-door.
I don't have to do any research, Nissan did it for me. Hey, you guys like modding - great. I just happen to prefer leaving things alone. In my experience with my own cars and those of others, leaving it alone has resulted in more reliability for the long run. I'm sure there are plenty of you who have modded some things without consequence, but I've known many who have not been able to do so.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM

I don't have to do any research, Nissan did it for me. Hey, you guys like modding - great. I just happen to prefer leaving things alone. In my experience with my own cars and those of others, leaving it alone has resulted in more reliability for the long run. I'm sure there are plenty of you who have modded some things without consequence, but I've known many who have not been able to do so.
Maybe this explains things...

maxident
An accident of the largest proportion.
Example:
"Man, that car sure was in an accident. Totally wrecked."
"Dude, that was a maxident!."

Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
That's Mr. Detail to you

Originally Posted by Ghost_54
^^^^ What he said, and I just turned 57, and enjoy doing the research and customizing my car. So age really is not a factor in any way, other than it takes me longer to haul my a$$ out from under my car.
I have customers your age, one who had a 562 RWHP Z06 he tracks and another with a 600 RWHP turbo Porsche. If the performance bug bites you, that's it, you always want more no matter what your age.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Im considering swapping mine as mine appear to be damaged.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Banned

Sorry to bring this back. sence i got my new 03 i have noticed some engine bump when going from park to drive or reverse.i changed the struts to blues and s-tech's i have noticed the rattle and clunk have appeared to get louder.So my question is this are the M/T mounts direct replacement for the auto mounts except for the electric one that i dont care about.also if i buy new M/T mounts that are aftermarket can i swap in the ES bushings?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
Sorry to bring this back. sence i got my new 03 i have noticed some engine bump when going from park to drive or reverse.i changed the struts to blues and s-tech's i have noticed the rattle and clunk have appeared to get louder.So my question is this are the M/T mounts direct replacement for the auto mounts except for the electric one that i dont care about.also if i buy new M/T mounts that are aftermarket can i swap in the ES bushings?
Go to the junkyard (boneyard) and get yourself some M/T f/r mounts from 95-03 please and mod those....that be about $20 bucks!