5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Group Buy for Cattman Y-Pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:18 PM

I spoke to Brian last week and if a minimum of 10 people sign up for a y-pipe for the '02-'03 Max, ('02-'04 I35), he will do a production run. Any takers? If a few people get on board, I'll call him back and get all the details such as lead time, exact cost, deposit required, etc.

Is the flex section starting to fail on your ypipe like mine? Don't want the hassle of installing headers with associated O2 sims, etc? Like to pay about half price compared to dealer cost and add 7-8 Horsepower while your at it?

Here's Rochester view on the subject:
Originally Posted by Rochester
Brian told me gains are more like 8 - 12 hp, depending on supporting mods.

Installation was a breeze (for my mechanic), with exception of extending one of the O2 wires. Although someone here recently said there's enough length to accommodate.

Materials are thick and solid enough to last the remaining lifetime on your car.

Exhaust note will deepen, without any hint of raspy-ness, because of the uneven length design of the Cattman-Y.
There. How's that?
The cost is $350.
So far we have:

1: spock In
2: 7speed In
3: zack342 In
4: Mrjones In
5: maxima03 In
6: BfranchizeOG In
7: eatfly In
8: Brl24 In
9: jessej636 In

I'm not really looking for gains persay. Just a quality SS replacement for less bucks than OEM. Adding a few HP is just an added bonus.

Last edited by spock; 05-30-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:17 PM

I had a Cattman Y-pipe and I can tell you the quality was great. Cattman FTW. I sold it and bought headers though.

GL.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 PM

I'm in.

Edit your post to track who's on board. Let's get her done. I don't want to have to wait too long.

Sales pitch:
My **** is rusty and the flex pipe is starting to leak. I am also replacing my precats and want to keep it mellow.

Headers are expensive.

I count 4 skallywags that want in.

Last edited by sc0tty8; 03-14-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by clashez1983
I don't know about a 350 price tag on a y pipe im wit hustler better off getting obx headers. if he could meet some were near the price of a WARPSPEED y-pipe i would get one. Even if their flex section is weak it would still be cheaper to get a warpspeed y and have the flex changed out before install ....... I dont think u will get the ball rolling on this gd but good luck
Do the math. Roughly half the cost of the headers with roughly half of the performance gains. They should have no issues getting 8-10 people.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:25 AM
MWM

If you were doing this a couple of months from now, I'd be in for sure. As it stands, I can't do it right now.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:32 AM

I'm sure it will take a couple of months to come to fruition anyway. That is if it comes to pass at all. Here's hoping so.

Last edited by spock; 03-15-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:51 AM

I don't think this has been mentioned but does the Cattman y-pipe eliminate pre-cats? If it does then I am interested.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:57 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MintVQ35
I don't think this has been mentioned but does the Cattman y-pipe eliminate pre-cats? If it does then I am interested.
It's been mentioned over the years, and that's why it does not add the same amount of power as the 4th gens or the headers, because it does not.
Old 03-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I don't think he made many of them, but only Catts can say for sure. When you consider the very, very narrow market overall, there's more potential for header sales than the y-pipe.

For example, he's only making (fantastic) 3" cat-backs now... because drone doesn't matter to this niche market, only powah!

I've got a catman y pipe for my 5.5 I just installed about a month ago great quality and sounds ok with the 3 inch exhaust. Soon I will be taking it off though switching te car back over to mostly stock before the end of summer to finish up my other project
Old 03-15-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm a maybe, what is the size? 2" to 2.5" at the connection?

350 for the part seems a lil much. And don't give me the "work of art" speech cuz no one but me and maybe a few mechanics will ever see it.

But like someome already said- warpspeed is only 250 for SS mandrel(200 for "aluminized") and can get the flex swapped. And I even bet their flex will last for years unless you dog the bottom of your car on rocks, brush or weather. I had one in my old 95 and it lasted 65k+(the length I owned the car) with no issues. hmmm
Old 03-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Mesh on flex section is starting to let go. I figure it's just a matter of time b4 it fails, so why not be proactive and get in on what could quite feasably be the last run of the Cattman 5.5 Gen Y-Pipe.
T
I just had an emissions test done for the first time on this car, for me, and the readings are lower than any other vehicle I've had tested. I'd like to keep it that way.

Last edited by spock; 03-15-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM

$350 is not a bad price. Considering a decent header install with O2 sims, etc. is going to cost WELL over twice that much. And you are much more likely to have issues down the road with tuning, AFR, O2s, etc.

Plus not everyone wants the added noise.

Some people want nothing but performance regardless of cost or inconvenience, or reliability.

Some people want to maintain stock qualities. It's a great idea if you need to replace a rotten/broken/leaking Y-Pipe too.
It could be argued in that case: Why would anyone be so dumb as to spend 2x the price of the y-pipe when all they need is the y-pipe?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have been trying to get one for years. I'm in.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:34 PM

I had my y-pipe installed with no other mods besides the Cattman 2.5" catback, and a SRI. I had the SRI for one year, and the catback for the next, and then the y-pipe. That was 3 years ago.

The most memorable thing after the install was how nice and deep the exhaust tone had become. It was years later before reading that was a factor of the uneven length piping. Whatever the cause, I like it. The power gains were certainly noticeable, but not dramatic. It was a very incremental mod.

It's been 3 northeastern winters later, and the pipe looks as solid as the day I unboxed it. In fact, its faring much better than my 4-year-old catback. My point is, Cattman's y-pipe is a solid piece of engineering.

In the picture below, I'm pretty sure that's the Cattman y-pipe up against the OEM hardware. Found it online. What this picture doesn't show (ironically) is the uneven length split, compared to the big look of the OEM pipe.

You guys should really go read this thread. There's some great background here:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...imas-here.html

Last edited by Rochester; 03-17-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM

New y-pipes come with replacement seals/hardware?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:36 PM

They come with new Nissan gaskets. Precats are studs, so there are only nuts to remove and re-use.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:23 AM

I'm interested, so count me in.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:41 AM

I hope whoever takes over (buys) the company (if someone does) can produce the same level of CS and excellent pride in their work.

I really, really hope that the company doesn't just disappear. We would have NO really good options for exhaust if that happened.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 03-17-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:18 PM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I really, really hope that the company doesn't just disappear. We would have NO really good options for exhaust if that happened.
Only more expensive custom jobs from high end fab shops with a properly working and properly operated mandrel bender. Yuck.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Glad to see that mrjones is in. We're definitly getting closer!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by sparks03max
Only more expensive custom jobs from high end fab shops with a properly working and properly operated mandrel bender. Yuck.
Yeah try to find those. Then when you do, try to pay for them. Then when you do, dyno it, and find out that it's still not as good as Cattman's were.

Someone better buy it.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Would get on the list but want the Cattman Headers should be ordering by the end of the year right now trying to get my car painted looking at 1500 bucks and up since everybody says its a Pearl Color takes Base Coat, Pearl Coat, then Clear Coat to get that shine....
Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

What can I say? Fantastic, you guys, we'll be glad to make another batch of these. I'd have to go back and read the original post to make sure Im not repeating anything, so I'll summarize here. Pour a beer, coffee, soda, etc., this post is in the Cattman tradition.

The y-pipe has been pretty thoroughly discussed and questions answered in this thread, don't see much to add here. I'll mention that its only because Nissan separated both precats from the stock Y in the 02/03 Maxima and I35 that we can offer a design that leaves the emissions equipment intact, but some of our customers, for whatever reasons, really prefer it that way. Eliminating the precats would involve separate parts (like header manifolds), it wouldn't be part of the y-pipe.

If higher-flowing "performance precats" become available as stock replacements, there's no reason they wouldn't work with this y-pipe. However, keep this in mind... The precats under the FWD VQ35DE's stock manifolds take a real pounding because they are so exposed and so close to the motor and I believe that's a major part of why the stock ones are prone to failure.

If the best pre-cats that Nissan can make (or subcontract) have a high failure rate, then the aftermarket pre-cats have to somehow be at least as good, preferably better quality. Possible? Sure. Probable? Not very. We've heard about some pretty serious disintegration issues, so if you go that route be sure to select a well-proven design or wait till a new design becomes well-proven.

I'd originally indicated we could kick off a batch with a minimum of 8 orders, but after discussing it with my exhaust partner, I really need that threshold to be 10 (or increase the price), so that's the target. Price is $350 + shipping.

Placing an order works like this. An order becomes "real" once its been called in and the paper's in the folder. I will take all the information we normally would, its not just a name and phone number thing. Only order if you know you want the part.

When taking the order, I'll explain that when production begins (once we hit 10 orders), we take a 30% deposit ($105) from everyone at the same time. Once we have 10 orders, I send an email notifying everyone we've reached the magic #, and that we'll be whacking everyone's CCs for the deposits in 24-48 hours.

Y-pipes (and FastCats, see below) will continue to be for sale during the fabrication process until they're all sold, with the deposit due at the time of the order. This won't be a large batch and its very likely all will be sold before the production is complete.

Just before the finished parts are ready to ship to me (they arrive by overnight freight from SoCal), I'll send everyone another email to say they're finished and that we'll be visiting the CCs right away for the balance due ($245 + shipping).

They arrive in a big crate, I repack individually and ship them out. All necessary gaskets are included (genuine Nissan) but I don't believe this installation requires any hardware because there are studs at both ends.

I'm real busy with some non-Cattman projects these days, so there isn't much time to get to the forums, but I'll try to monitor this thread and keep up with my PMs (warning, I'm behind right now). Calling is most reliable and I'm glad to answer questions when you call to order.

Some might also want to order Cattman FastCats, a logical partner to the y-pipe and/or our 3" catbacks. The regular price is $250, but we offer a 10% discount (to $225) when its purchased with another exhaust part ($70 deposit, $155 balance). We'd like to get those orders with the y-pipe orders so they can be combined as a single $295 deposit .

We use the highest performing EPA-approved cat available for the Maxima - a 300-cell, all-metal substrate in a thick stainless steel shell that tapers gradually on both ends to minimize the transitional turbulance. Thick 3/8" plate steel flanges with 2.75" center holes are welded to both ends, its a solid one-piece unit, no thin floppy-flanges. One additional Nissan gasket included when ordered with a y-pipe (the y-pipe kit includes the other one).

To place orders call 800.759.9920 from the US (except AZ, AK HI and PR), 888.296.5153 from Canada and AZ, and 520.575.6195 from elsewhere. Office hours are 9-5 MST/PDT (West Coast and Arizona time), M-F. I'm around most of the time, but please leave a message if I don't pick up the phone.

We accept all major CCs, but PP is a problem when deposits are required because their Buyer/Seller Protection rules only allow a single payment for a product.

Again, thanks everyone, I appreciate your interest and look forward to the possibility of making more of these y-pipes.

Brian
Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 AM

I found a used y pipe that I can get much sooner so I need to bow out. I need to get my car done and drivable sooner than this is going to take.

If for whatever reason you come up being 1 short on the GB, let me know...
Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
what is the size? 2" to 2.5" at the connection?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:13 AM

I'm afraid that I don't have that answer. You would have to call Brian. All I know is that it bolts up to the stock precats and main cat.
Sorry to see sc0tty8 bow out. With the threshold being pushed up to 10 units, it's a little disheartening. The minimum order # being raised to 10 was certainly a surprise to me.
Old 03-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Uh Oh.
Spock, you should start the identical thread at TorontoMaxima.com, and see if you can get some more hoseheads on your list. You might want to set up shop in NYCMaximas.org, too.

What I'm saying is, cast a wider net than just Teh Org.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:57 PM

I've got one out on infinitihelp.com and tried one on nicoclub, (but that got pulled for whatever reason). TOMax seems to be pretty general, (as in no generation segregation). So, bottom line is we need 5 or 6 more people on board for this to happen. I will look into nycmaximas. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another buy, count me in !

All, Just talked to Brian who just added me to the Y-pipe list. So count me in. Maxima03

Last edited by maxima03; 03-23-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by quickhuh
I've got a catman y pipe for my 5.5 I just installed about a month ago great quality and sounds ok with the 3 inch exhaust. Soon I will be taking it off though switching te car back over to mostly stock before the end of summer to finish up my other project
geez dude that was quick! already taking off the ypipe i sold you lol

yeah these things are solid, install is easy....get a torch though...youll need it for those bolts
Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM

The used ones sell so quickly, it's next to impossible to get one. That's if you can find one in the first place.
There must be more members wanting this y-pipe.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's where I stand..

I also have a worn y-pipe flex joint. Contacted Budget/Lyell's and they don't do a Y for the 02, Warpspeed didn't respond to my e-mail,so it's either OEM design, this group buy from Brian, or I go the header route. Before deciding I just want to be sure I'm clear on the pros and cons of just Y vs headers, and I suspect others may find the discussion useful as well.
Y will obviously retain the pre-cats/manifolds but will be a relatively easy install since the bottom of the pre cats is accessible. Going the Cattman Y will be good for a bit less than 10 whp over OEM. No need for a wideband or AFC, and I have the option of gutting the precats from below without removing them if I choose to.
On the headers side, though I realize the Cattman headers are a superior piece over the OBX, I'd go OBX mainly for the cost savings. I understand the OBX may need a new O2 bung(though I saw someone post they simply used one downline), probably has some minor fitment issues and may require grinding the crossmember for clearance...I have a grinder, it's all good. Having headers also seems to affect the AFR and so pretty much demands you install a wideband O2, an AFC as well as an O2 sim since the setup deletes one O2 sensor, correct? My conclusion from reading posts about removing the rear bank manifold and pre-cat is that it's a big PITA, and it's the main reason I hesitate going the header route. Something I'm unclear about is whether it's necessary to remove the IM to access the EM studs...Brian C says definitely not, so I assume it's not. Headers are good for 20+ whp total, dependant upon tune.
Have I missed something?

Last edited by StevieB; 03-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by StevieB
I also have a worn y-pipe flex joint. Contacted Budget/Lyell's and they don't do a Y for the 02, Warpspeed didn't respond to my e-mail,so it's either OEM design, this group buy from Brian, or I go the header route. Before deciding I just want to be sure I'm clear on the pros and cons of just Y vs headers, and I suspect others may find the discussion useful as well.
Y will obviously retain the pre-cats/manifolds but will be a relatively easy install since the bottom of the pre cats is accessible. Going the Cattman Y will be good for a bit less than 10 whp over OEM. No need for a wideband or AFC, and I have the option of gutting the precats from below without removing them if I choose to.
On the headers side, though I realize the Cattman headers are a superior piece over the OBX, I'd go OBX mainly for the cost savings. I understand the OBX may need a new O2 bung(though I saw someone post they simply used one downline), probably has some minor fitment issues and may require grinding the crossmember for clearance...I have a grinder, it's all good. Having headers also seems to affect the AFR and so pretty much demands you install a wideband O2, an AFC as well as an O2 sim since the setup deletes one O2 sensor, correct? My conclusion from reading posts about removing the rear bank manifold and pre-cat is that it's a big PITA, and it's the main reason I hesitate going the header route. Something I'm unclear about is whether it's necessary to remove the IM to access the EM studs...Brian C says definitely not, so I assume it's not. Headers are good for 20+ whp total, dependant upon tune.
Have I missed something?
For the cheap...why not just order a SS Vibrant turbo interlock flex section and let a muffler shop install it.....total cost should be less the $100...
Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by StevieB
Have I missed something?
I had headers with the stock cat-back for many years without an AFC or WB and the gains are still worth it and there is little increase in sound and still stays quiet if you retain the catback and cat.

As a sidenote, both the stock airbox and stock catback can support upwards of 250whp.

The rear manifold/header is easily accessible from under the car, patience is key here.

O2 bungs should be the least if your worries since they're cheap and easy to install.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I had headers with the stock cat-back for many years without an AFC or WB and the gains are still worth it and there is little increase in sound and still stays quiet if you retain the catback and cat.

As a sidenote, both the stock airbox and stock catback can support upwards of 250whp.

The rear manifold/header is easily accessible from under the car, patience is key here.

O2 bungs should be the least if your worries since they're cheap and easy to install.
basically what im saying... its not that im bashing the Y-pipe idea (which in some really small way im sure i am) but people are using "loudness" as a deciding factor.... loud is pretty relative, if anything other than OEM is considered loud then that still wouldnt justify getting anything but the OEM Y-pipe... we can say looks, both OBX and cattman headers look better than OEM, to me really its, moreso, i dont wanna pay the extra $$$ for cattman headers nor do i want to deal with OBX headers, so to make life easier for me i will sacrifise power and get a mod that makes "some kind of power", which is cool, nothing wrong with that but dont blame sound....

ima tell you how much of a hypocritical statement that sound thing is to me (or how much it is to me)

Its like clashez getting a free honda cold air intake and wanted to fab it up to make it work, everybody bash him for it, granted it would still make power even if not as much as ones made for our cars, i see the samething here, just with "cattman" which makes everything all the sudden o.k
Old 03-30-2011, 07:18 AM

I am still curious on the pipe widths of this Y(at top, the width of the 2 separate pipes of the "Y",collection and exit)... Big factor for me in regards to getting in on this "deal"

Last edited by 95VQ30; 03-30-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM
dot dot dot ...

PM'ng or calling Cattman seems like the most logical thing to do.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
I am still curious on the pipe widths of this Y(at top, the width of the 2 separate pipes of the "Y",collection and exit)... Big factor for me in regards to getting in on this "deal"
I'm wondering why the diameter is a factor for you. Are you doing/have you done performance mods?
Old 04-23-2011, 10:47 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Sorry, but overwhelmed with some non-Cattman business these days. No problem taking care of orders and making sure the parts are made and shipped, but almost no time to keep up with the forums or even PMs sometimes. Surest thing is to call during the week at 520.575.6195 (9-5 MST/PDT, M-F).

Tubing size? No problem, happy to share. There's really only one appropriate combination according to my exhaust design philosophy. 2" primaries, 2.5" secondary tube. 3" secondary? Nope, not a good idea - great for exhaust, not for y-pipe.

At the request of the original poster, I'm looking into the unit cost if we did a short run of 5-6 units, but when the price goes up, the sales can drop. I can't be optimistic that we can even get 6 commitments, this thread has only generated 1-2 backorders so far. What can I say, except $ talks, BS walks.

Brian

Last edited by Cattman; 04-23-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM

Cattman Y Pipe Group Deal/Production (4th/5th Gen)

First off, Cattman makes the best (and always will) exhaust components for our cars!!
I want to get the ball rolling on what could be the very last production of the Cattman Y pipe for 4th/5th Gen Maximas...Primary focus is getting a Y Pipe Group Deal/Production Run for the '95-'99.5,'00 & other FED Spec Maximas, but NOT necessarily excluding Cali spec or other year Maxima's (think we all know the 5.5s & non-FED spec's reach even further gains w/ the Cattman Headers/Y pipe combo) But this is a great cost-effective alternative to that combo!

I spoke with Brian a few days ago regarding making a Y Pipe production run and some highlights include:
Minimum of ~8 people need to place an order--no $ required when placing order (must call Brian directly to make order official)
Do NOT need all the $ until the Y pipe is ready to ship (~$100 deposit is charged only when the part actually begins production)
Once we get at least 8 orders Brian will start production and this is when he charges the deposit (~30%)
Also, I think Brian said he could do the Y pipe for $350 and once production begins, the part would be ready in about 4 weeks!
I will provide more info/details once I get back to work and look over my notes from my conversation with Brian. Lets make this happen guys!!

Last edited by KT3MaxSE; 05-02-2011 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Group Buy for Cattman Y-Pipe?