5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I want some maxima owners opinions on this.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 PM

yep I did end up purchasing the ones for $650..now I just need to DIY on the wheels and refinish them myself. Does anybody know how to go about fixing curb rash or resurfacing the wheels...? without having to take it to a bodyshop or paint shop of course..and do it yourself on the cheap..

Also side note------> i was thinking of just adding the red "R" to the back of my altima and it would be an "altima slr" which no one has. It would be really unique and cool my buddy has got a maxima sl and thinking about doing it to his car as well..Or i just may leave the whole cars rear end shaved. Does anyone have any further thoughts on this subject? or the whole "slr" badge idea...?
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM

check out nissanclub.com, it used to be altimas.net or something like that....lots of altima guys are there and can answer all your questions about the SER swap there =)...stay here though the info on this is is unsurpassed =)
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 PM
dot dot dot ...

I agree w/ Mr.TQ converter dude ... altimas.net, lotta SER info there ... .. although, there's a lot of info you can find here ( FWDVQ35) as well.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by 2kmaxseblack2k
yep I did end up purchasing the ones for $650..now I just need to DIY on the wheels and refinish them myself. Does anybody know how to go about fixing curb rash or resurfacing the wheels...? without having to take it to a bodyshop or paint shop of course..and do it yourself on the cheap..

Also side note------> i was thinking of just adding the red "R" to the back of my altima and it would be an "altima slr" which no one has. It would be really unique and cool my buddy has got a maxima sl and thinking about doing it to his car as well..Or i just may leave the whole cars rear end shaved. Does anyone have any further thoughts on this subject? or the whole "slr" badge idea...?
you, my friend need to search. there is a how to on refinishing wheels

and dont add no badge either, period...debadge

/post

http://forums.maxima.org/detailing/6...es-3-75mb.html

http://forums.maxima.org/tires-wheel...storation.html

^what you need specifically
Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 AM

debadged it is sir.

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I agree w/ Mr.TQ converter dude ... altimas.net, lotta SER info there ... .. although, there's a lot of info you can find here ( FWDVQ35) as well.
ya i live on the org..been addicted ever since I joined up. Probably will join a nissanclub or altima forum soon..But Ill have my max org fixes and be like oh dang time to go back to the org again. Love the v6 3L I had in my 00' max, but its no match for the vq3.5...its a legendary engine.

side note---->the track z wheels on you're car look beatiful. Job WELL DONE.

Originally Posted by phatboislim
you, my friend need to search. there is a how to on refinishing wheels

and dont add no badge either, period...debadge

/post

http://forums.maxima.org/detailing/6...es-3-75mb.html

http://forums.maxima.org/tires-wheel...storation.html

^what you need specifically
thank you my good sir for the links and shortcuts to the right place. I really want to attempt to do this...but I am kinda skeptical. If I do end up doing it on the cheap...I am just going to need sand paper and materials and in order to do it myself step by step...and correctly and carefully.
Ill post some before and after pictures to show the results. Might just end up getting them professionally finished and done..that way I won't have any conerns or nervousness about doing them myself.

has anyone recently done a wheel restoration succesfully?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-04-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 AM

im on it right now...i actually went all the way down (or up/however you look at it) to 80 grit sandpaper because of the issues i was having. i'm putting bondo on the wheel rash tonight and w/e else imperfection i'm seeing that sanding wont get out
Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 PM

if sand paper and buffing it one get it out..im just going to get it professionally taken care of. It may cost more to have it done as opposed to DIY..but atleast Ill have the peace of mind and satisfaction of someone professionally re-surfacing or powdercoating the wheels again..I'm sure it would be worth it in the long run. And also that way I am not paranoid about destroying the se-r wheels...just going to take it to an autobody or bodyshop somewhere and get an estimate. let me know if the bondo worked?? could really use some before and after pics..just so I know what I can aniticpate if I DIY.

Last edited by 2kmaxseblack2k; 04-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM

that thread tells you exactly what to expect from the DIY...he's a DIY'r just like myself, just sayin
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 PM

almost just closed the garage door on the new altima..holy moly i thought i was going to have a heart attack. But thankfully the garage door went up just in time before and sensed my car was NOT pulled all the way forward...omfg i thought i was going to have a panic attack for a second. It left a small scratch on my front fascia which I can repair with some nissan touch up paint in the factory color or maybe just have it repaired at an autobody for a small fee. Still I am SO pissed right now. the handle in which you can manually open the garage door got caught on my license plate frame/license plate and thankfully that was all it got caught up on. THANK GOD...next time Ill pull all the way back or forward..and make sure I have enough space..this will never happen again. Probably going to get a tennis ball or something so I know when exactly to stop...but SHEWWWWW talk about close call.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Insurance cost.

It would be much cheaper overall to make a SE-R out of a 3.5L base.

The difference? You will be hard pressed to do it as cleanly, and the SE-R engine has different tuning/exhuast/intake I thought as well?

Either way, old altima's are ugly except for the SE-R, IMO

I Freaking LOVE the new Altima coupe, that is a work of art, it looks like an G35/37, why would anyone buy a new Maxima when they can buy that?

altima coupes are chick cars. please dont ever compare it to the g37

thanks
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Does anyone really have some hard facts that a regular 3.5 altima vs. an SE-R causes insurance rates to increase substantially enough to care?

I'd have to agree with the above poster, the altima coupe looks nothing like a g35/37 and I'd still buy a new maxima over one of those because it's actually a good looking/useful car.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 PM

I don't care what any of you say, after 2003, the Altima joined the ranks of moderately attractive Nissan sedans (w/ bumps here and there as the new one, save for the coupe, is pretty plain)
Old 04-08-2011, 06:11 AM

haha unless its a 3.5 coupe..i don't even look at it twice. But the above poseter is right...they are indeed chick cars..and thats why I went with the 05 3.5sl. I feel like that was the last good year or bodystyle that I really liked...anything after the se-r's or the 05/06 altimas just wasnt worth wasting youre time or effort on.

Last edited by 2kmaxseblack2k; 04-08-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
I don't care what any of you say, after 2003, the Altima joined the ranks of moderately attractive Nissan sedans (w/ bumps here and there as the new one, save for the coupe, is pretty plain)
02-06, great looking cars. Anything before or after that for altimas no thanks.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:48 PM

who's the guy in hawaii that did the SE-R conversion to his 2.5 altima???? i say do the whole convertion and moreso like scottwax says... dont put the SE-R badge on the back... id rather you get the SE-R seats
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2kmaxseblack2k
haha unless its a 3.5 coupe..i don't even look at it twice. But the above poseter is right...they are indeed chick cars..and thats why I went with the 05 send 3.5sl. I feel like that was the last good year or bodystyle that I really liked...anything after the se-r's or the 05/06 altimas just wasnt worth wasting youre time or effort on.
to each his own... i personally think altima's look better than maxima's... both regular 3.5's and SE-R's... especially SE-R's and the got better tuning options than the maxima.... so much for "chick" cars now huh...
Old 04-08-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
who's the guy in hawaii that did the SE-R conversion to his 2.5 altima???? i say do the whole convertion and moreso like scottwax says... dont put the SE-R badge on the back... id rather you get the SE-R seats
idk but whoever the guy is in hawaii he is an idiot for making a 2.5 4 banger into a se-r look alike. If I owned an se-r I would be ticked off...but I just own a normal alti and Im still kinda pissed about that..its leaving me real REAL salty. I am going to debadge it...for all of you people that are still wondering. I am less then a month away from having se-r wheels, se-r spoiler and tint. and then the following month i am going to get a brand new magnaflow catback from magnaflow.com and cai of course...either nismo/aem or intake. can't wait....to let my baby rip up the streets once i get everything on there...omfg its going to b mean so mean its going to be MAD...clean. :-) p.s. thanks for all the comments guys i appreciate my fellow nissan owners interests...even if it isnt a maxima. :-(
Old 04-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
agreed my first altima was a 02 3.5se silver..loved the car but my little brother wrecked it. It was my dd in HS..and this was my way of having that car live through my new car..bc I never got to say goodbye to it. :-( i agree the coupes are plain..i prefer the sedan clean 4 door look. although their nice..just not g37 worthy or even close to a 350z....but it sure wishes it could be..it just never will. btw dude youre sig makes me wish I still had my max... :_( it reminds me hardcore of it dude its so sadddddd. nice maxi though brotha.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:06 PM

...one question im surprised no one has brought up yet is why the OP is asking Altima advice in a Maxima forum?

wouldnt it make sense to ask advice from people who actually own an Altima?
Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
...one question im surprised no one has brought up yet is why the OP is asking Altima advice in a Maxima forum?

wouldnt it make sense to ask advice from people who actually own an Altima?
true..you have a point sir..i just traded up my 2000 max of 7 yrs like 2 weeks ago..so give me some transition time..please. I understand that this is a maxima forum but we are all nissan blooded..when it really boils down to it...im going to join a altima forum but just don't see near as much there as I do on this site. maxima.org rocks..im gonna miss all of my old maxima brotherens.

Last edited by 2kmaxseblack2k; 04-08-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:29 AM

Chick car? I have to disagree with that statement. This is still a big car, with big power, bold interior designing, and so many possible directions for exterior styling.

Granted, I wouldn't mod it like shown in a couple pics.
And I also like the sedan, especially the back with the spoiler that covers a bit of the tailight, that looks great.

The NEWest Altima Rear end is.... Bleh, not sure. The New front looks great though.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:55 AM

You would be better off to sell your car and buy an SE-R...your going to be looking at a lot of dough to get the bumpers and get them painted, plus wheels are very expensive for OEM SE-R wheels. Then depnding on how far you wanted to go you would have to swap taillights, put a spoiler on it, etc...I just think it would be a lot of time and money rather than just go out and purchase a legit SE-R, just my $0.02
Old 04-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by pimpin02max
You would be better off to sell your car and buy an SE-R...your going to be looking at a lot of dough to get the bumpers and get them painted, plus wheels are very expensive for OEM SE-R wheels. Then depnding on how far you wanted to go you would have to swap taillights, put a spoiler on it, etc...I just think it would be a lot of time and money rather than just go out and purchase a legit SE-R, just my $0.02
there were no se-rs that were local...check out what I said previously in the beginning of the thread...otherwise I of course would've gone that route...this was my way of imprevising. i also found se-r oem wheels for the cheap too. and im going to get the se-r spoiler..the tailights are the same oem on my 05 and that are on the ser too its all the same..until i create my own. not as much money as you think..already done the research and prices on my misc. parts..and its not too bad...so ill definetly have some before and after pics for you guys soon. :-D :-D :-D

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Chick car? I have to disagree with that statement. This is still a big car, with big power, bold interior designing, and so many possible directions for exterior styling.

Granted, I wouldn't mod it like shown in a couple pics.
And I also like the sedan, especially the back with the spoiler that covers a bit of the tailight, that looks great.

The NEWest Altima Rear end is.... Bleh, not sure. The New front looks great though.
ya i plan on doing the ser spoiler..and then debadge once I have it up to my standards.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-09-2011 at 06:40 PM.