5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 09:08 PM

aaaaaaaand i'm new.

Found my 01 SE 5MT for a song, with 92k on it, fresh belts and fluids, new brakes, MINT body. Crap tires, needs a balance, but whatever.

I never would have gotten into the maxima at all, if it weren't for MN weather. I used to have a 2000 Audi A4, plenty of mods, and I loved the car.

then (sob story ahead, and pulled from my euro forum), last saturday (not yesterday, like a week ago), I woke up to the following:

my parking lot was under several feet of standing, oily, nasty water. my car was in it.

My fiancee's car was in my garage, and was actually deeper than mine. we got them both out, I spent the morning helping people drag their cars out of the lake. I mean, parking lot. lake.

the water rose four more feet from 7 am to noon. it was another foot or so higher at 4 when i got home. There is a lot of people with totalled cars today in new brighton...

ANYWAY, to be 100 percent honest I'm a bit of a reluctant owner, but I think i could grow to love the max. It's not my Audi, but that had a ton of work into the suspension, brakes, and a bit on the engine.

With time, and some honest work put in on the maxima, I think I can be happy.

Look forward to the road ahead.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What's up guys finally joined the max forum
I'm Abel, from Texas....
Owned my max for 3 to 4 years now I keep her clean all the time
My 03 gle

Old 08-03-2011, 11:46 PM

Hey guys, been reading the threads for a while now, I spent quite bit of time trying to find the right max and exactly two weeks ago I picked up my 03 silver SE Titanium Edition with 146000 km (91k miles) for a great price. Auto trans, 6 speeds with in decent shape with good mileage are hard to come by around here unfortunately. I honestly love this car and can't wait to learn more from this forum!
Old 08-04-2011, 05:59 PM

New 2000 GLE Owner

Hi all,

Longtime Nissan owner. Picking up a 2000 GLE w/175k tomorrow. Got it for $1K from a friend who I think felt sorry for me (kinda going through a rough patch). It's an auto and from what I can see it is stock except for the rims.

He says it needs a new rad as it leaks at the top and that either the cat is gone or the O2 sensor is. I figured that even if I have to change both it's still not a bad deal.

I think my first mod will be to install an ipod/iphone adapter. I remember seeing a behind-the-stereo hookup somewhere on this forum?

Gonna give it some TLC over the next week or so and will post pics.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Suspension Yoda

Welcome to the family

Check out my spare tire cover in my sig
Old 08-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hello, new guy from arizona. have owned my 2002 maxima se for almost a year now and i love it. there are a few issues tho, i have a cat rattle at about 2-25xx rpm, and i dont know wich one it is as there is more than one. and the upper radiator support grommets are worn completely, where can i find those??
Old 08-11-2011, 09:03 AM
Suspension Yoda

Upper radiator support grommets aren't a big deal unless they're completely missing - you can probably find them at a junkyard, dealer, or just make your own using some household parts from a hardware store.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:06 AM

Hello everyone.
I am pretty new to this forum. I purchased a 2002 SE (6spd) from Premier Toyota in Ohio. I imagine that someone on here probably owned the car.
I bought it with
Newer CAI
New drilled & slotted rotors.
New brakes all the way around.
1-1 1/2" drop.....not sure of what springs/struts
Alotta other new stuff on the car so whoever had it was meticulous in the care for the car.
I plan to continue the good care.

I came out of a 2000 Contour SVT 3l and this things blows the doors off of the SVT (though I still miss it).

I will be looking to you guys for help from time to time so......thanks in advance! lol.
Also, I'd be glad to help any of you guys as well.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:11 PM

2000 GLE, abs in love with it. Any idea if i can remove touch up paint
Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 AM
Suspension Yoda

You'll probably have to compound it off...do you have any detailing knowledge?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 PM

Hey everyone!
Just bought an 02 maxima se myself. Grey lustre 6spd and I already have a whole list of mods I want to add. Of course I'm going to wait a month or 2 to see if she has any surprises for me that need attending, especially since she has 92k right now, but the potential in her is amazing. Just to list a few so you can get an idea:

Cosmetic:
Lowering kit
20% tints
halo (angel eyes) projector headlights with black housing and I think 8000k highs and lows
hid fogs
platinum apex 18" black rims w/ polished lip
blue led interior dome light.
Viper smart start (works w/ iPhones)

Audio:
pioneer AVIC-Z130BT nav/DVD 7" touchscreen
infinity kappa 6 1/2 rounds up front and 6x9's in the rear (I know it's not stock sizes)

performance:
weapon-r intake w/ ram air kit
still deciding on an exhaust setup...

Just to give you an idea, if anyone has any suggestions/advice let me know I'm open to all input.

Last edited by nycibbyryder; 08-25-2011 at 11:50 PM. Reason: looked messy the way it was
Old 08-24-2011, 05:01 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by nycibbyryder
Lowering kit, 20% tints, halo projector headlights with black housing and I think 8000k highs and lows, platinum apex 18" black rims w/ polished lip, pioneer AVIC-Z130BT nav/DVD 7" touchscreen, infinity kappa 6 1/2 rounds up front and 6x9's in the rear (I know it's not stock sizes), weapon-r intake w/ ram air kit, still deciding on an exhaust setup..., Viper smart start (works w/ iPhones), blue led interior dome light.
1st...congrats on the car. Hope it treats you very well.

2nd...Please do as much research as you can before you do some of these mods. I know you're in the ambitious phase, but these ideas sound very premature and are lacking knowledge. In fact many of them sound downright ricey.

For example:
- Projector housings that are on the market give off AWFUL light output. The only way to get a solid projector set up is if you retro projector lenses into your existing housings. 8000k are purple, and will also give terrible light output.

- If you're in NYC (I'm presuming from your user name) then please contact me when you're ready to do your suspension. A "lowering kit" is not what you need. I'm happy to give appropriate advice based on your budget and preferences. Not to mention guide you on all the auxiliary parts you should be replacing when doing a suspension.

- Please don't put 6x9's anywhere in the car. It's entirely too much work for VERY little audible gain. Speakers (like musical instruments) are meant to produce sound based on circular inputs and outputs, not oblong. Get a better pair of speakers if you want more output.

Not trying to discourage you, but there is a LOT of knowledge on this forum, and some of the veteran members around here (myself included) feel compelled to help those who need direction. So PLEASE ASK before you spend your money...it will be better and cheaper for you in the long run.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM

Well, to my knowledge there aren't many better speakers than infinity kappas, and I've done that mod to almost every car I've owned so far, the 6x9's Give off much better sound than 6 1/2" rounds. I know it will be a difficult mod in this car because the sub is in the center of the rear deck. But the current sound setup sounds very uneven to me. If you know of a setup to remedy this I'm all ears, the sound stage just sounds very low to me and more towards the front which is why I wanted to relocate the speakers out of the rear door. 8000k is blue so you know. 12000k is purple. And yes there are alot of crappy projector lenses out there, which I've already done the research on to decide which ones I want. Unfortunately for the look I'm going for the stock housing won't work. Of course there's always more research to do, I've been researching these parts for over 6 months now, plus many of them are a result of trial and error from other cars as well. I hardly see halos as ricey. Guess I should rephrase the lowering kit thing, I want to lower the car, that idea is still premature with no research behind it so I'm not sure how much or with what parts yet but when I get to that point I will let you know. I do welcome the criticism, so I am not shooting you down, but even though I may not be an expert, I'm not a newbie when it comes to cars either. The exhaust has me stumped though as I'm trying to get a g35 ish sound out of it. Smooth and deep, not high pitched and ricey. Really trying to decide between the hks sport axle back with maybe a different resonator, and the cattman catback. Don't want it to be too loud either.

Last edited by nycibbyryder; 08-24-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Suspension Yoda

Well, to my knowledge there aren't many better speakers than infinity kappas, and I've done that mod to almost every car I've owned so far, the 6x9's Give off much better sound than 6 1/2" rounds. I know it will be a difficult mod in this car because the sub is in the center of the rear deck. But the current sound setup sounds very uneven to me. If you know of a setup to remedy this I'm all ears, the sound stage just sounds very low to me and more towards the front which is why I wanted to relocate the speakers out of the rear door.
I'm not trying to turn this into an argument, but trying to make light of certain knowledge you may be lacking.

Sound quality is subjective, but I can guarantee there are brands out there that are 'better' than Kappas. There are MANY brands that are not mainstream that have much higher quality than the components you find in retail stores. Rainbow and DLS are the first that come to mind, and there are plenty of others.

"6x9's give off much better sound than 6 1/2's" ...can you explain what you mean by 'better' - this is a very subjective term. And while you're at it, can you tell me why you want your sound stage behind you?

Guess I should rephrase the lowering kit thing, I want to lower the car, that idea is still premature with no research behind it so I'm not sure how much or with what parts yet but when I get to that point I will let you know.
Suspension and audio design and installation - specifically for the Maxima - are my specialties. I'll defer exhaust and lighting to someone else to provide you their input. I'm happy to give input when you're ready.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:06 AM

Bought it 2K 180000miles
2000 Maxima GXE

Plans:
Gut Cats and Pre-cats
New Y Pipe
Muffler
Cold air intake
Bigger throttle Body
Tires/Brakes
Lower
Sway Bars
Shocks

Cosemtics:
Tint
Yellow fogs
Black Angel eye lights
Rims-Black with Chrome Lip

Old 08-25-2011, 10:57 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Congrats. Make sure you do plenty of research before you purchase anything - it will be better for you in the long run
Old 08-25-2011, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
I'm not trying to turn this into an argument, but trying to make light of certain knowledge you may be lacking.

Sound quality is subjective, but I can guarantee there are brands out there that are 'better' than Kappas. There are MANY brands that are not mainstream that have much higher quality than the components you find in retail stores. Rainbow and DLS are the first that come to mind, and there are plenty of others.

"6x9's give off much better sound than 6 1/2's" ...can you explain what you mean by 'better' - this is a very subjective term. And while you're at it, can you tell me why you want your sound stage behind you?
not at all i apologize if it came off that way. I appreciate the input. I will check out those 2 brands that you mentioned. as far as the sound stage being behind me, im just trying to pick it up off the floor, i feel like i cant hear the rear speakers too well and instead of sounding even from front to rear it sounds mostly towards the front, and in my other cars with the 6x9's in the rear it sounded much better (fuller, more depth, deeper bass). may be that just upgrading the speakers will remedy this. If you have any suggestions as to a higher quality setup around the same price as the kappas or even a little bit more (if its worth it) let me know. I'm definitely set on getting the pioner avic-z130bt as my head unit. the rest will come together.
Old 08-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Pick up a pair of Rainbow SLC 265 components. I believe there's a set for sale in the classifieds.

And get a proper amp to power them.

As for the rears, don't bother. Leave the OEM's in there for rear fill, that's all you really need. Get a proper solid front stage and you'll never look 'back' again (pun intended)
Old 08-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hi all - just picked up a 2002 SE, completely stock.

I've driven SUVs for the past 8 years, so it's nice to get back into something a little more sporty.

No pics yet, but hope to get some up when I make a few upgrades (suspension, wheels, etc.), and fix a few of the minor quirks.

BTW, there is a lot of great information on this site!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ Congrats and welcome
Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just pulled the trigger on a 2002 GLE fully loaded. Its got 157k on it. I have an 06 g35 sedan RWD with 80k and I want to let it rest a little. I wanted to stick with the Nissan/Infiniti family. How long do you guys think this max will last me? I got a deal on it that I couldn't refuse. Thanks
Old 09-01-2011, 06:12 AM
Suspension Yoda

"How long it will last" is a question that can't really be answered. The engine itself is usually pretty rock solid. A lot of auxiliary parts tend to need replacing, as with any car. Some areas are prone to rust.

So the car will last a long time - as long as you take care of it, and don't begin to feel it's a 'money pit'

Best of luck!
Old 09-03-2011, 07:45 PM

New to the Nissan family

I just bought a 2001 Nissan Maxima SE with 133,800 miles. I have had 4 Honda Accords so this is my first Nissan. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm sure It will need some work, but I'm confident I will get the resources I need on this forum. Here are a few pics.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

New guy here , wound up owning a nice 2000 SE with 170k by accident. I had purchased a used Bonneville had it less than an hour engine =toast. I found this Maxima and fell in love with it.
Very good site you all have ,lots of info.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:59 PM

Hello all,I recently(Today)bought a 2002 Maxima SE,It has 140,000 miles on it,It also has a cracked windshield and a P0021 code,I am an avid truck owner but am excited to be behind the wheel of my first NISSAN.Looking forward to learning alot from everyone here,I have a few pics here

Old 09-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Suspension Yoda

Congrats!

Whereabouts in NJ are you? I do work for a LOT of local org members.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:16 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Purchased a 02 Maxima for $3500 it came with the bose system

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_500wt_1182

I have an extra bose speaker for sale on ebay if you want one check it out It came with the car and I want to put a better custom system
Old 09-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Suspension Yoda

^^ STOP SPAMMING THREADS WITH YOUR EBAY AUCTION.

And like I said, the part # listed in your title is wrong.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 AM

Congrats!

Whereabouts in NJ are you? I do work for a LOT of local org members.
Im in Southern NJ,Near Atlantic City,Thanks ill probally be hitting you up
Old 09-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys. Yet another new guy joining the group. Don't have any pictures just yet. I have owned my 2003 GLE for a couple years and so far have upgraded part stereo and exterior lighting. I replaced my headlights, tailights, sidemarkers and almost all of the bulbs in the afore mentioned. Looking forward to all the help and info I'll find and receive.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by SJMaxSE
Im in Southern NJ,Near Atlantic City,Thanks ill probally be hitting you up
Ready when you are
Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
What was that little thing in your photobucket? It looks like you really stepped up your game with the Maxima.
yea looked like a little honda that just died lol
Old 09-14-2011, 07:56 PM

2002 nissan maxima 6sp. lowerd on ebaichs. BBP exhaust full led exterior and interior swap. yellow top optima. alpine deck. two alpine amps two kickers all new kicker doors. led gage cluster swap. (13$) best mod of them all.
had it for a couple weeks. best car ive ever owned. had hondas and toyotas still nissan beats em all

ps. looking for a y pipe and test pipe if anyone has one pm me
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 AM

Recently got a 01' Maxima for $2600
GXE with sport package
115K km with very clean interior but outside paint is fading in certain areas
Love the power of the V6!

Do you guys put premium all the time?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM
Suspension Yoda

Congrats and welcome!

Yep, 99% of us use Premium all the time.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:55 AM

Glad I Found This Site!

Hey everyone! Greetings from a newbie in So Cal. Just picked up my first Maxima about 3 weeks ago - a white, 2001 SE. Had to buy a car in a pinch since I blew out the tranny in my 735 BMW. Was looking to sticking to my european cars tradition (2 bmw's and a Volvo in the past), but my brother convinced me to take a look at this SE.

Figured it was a great "interim" car while I shopped for what I wanted, but I have fallen for this ride. I picked it up for $3,300 and in the past 3 weeks have dumped almost an extra $1K into perking it up. So far, It has undergone the following:

New brakes & rotors, tune-up, upgrade to 17" GLE wheels, projector headlamps with HID retrofits, new stereo, speakers, tint and this weekend will install clear taillights & sidemarkers. In a week or 2, it's going to the body shop to re-do the bumpers & rear spoiler (some scratches on corners & peeled clear on spoiler).

Here's a pic from when I just got it (the other one's my brothers he got 2 days prior):

I'll post some updated pics after I do the rest of the lighting this weekend...

By the way, love this site. So much info & help. I think I'll be holding on to this Maxima for a while, and as a result, spending a lot of time here. Looking forward to getting to know a lot of you.

Last edited by EuroDriver; 09-16-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by EuroDriver
Hey everyone! Greetings from a newbie in So Cal. Just picked up my first Maxima about 3 weeks ago - a white, 2001 SE. Had to buy a car in a pinch since I blew out the tranny in my 735 BMW. Was looking to sticking to my european cars tradition (2 bmw's and a Volvo in the past), but my brother convinced me to take a look at this SE.

Figured it was a great "interim" car while I shopped for what I wanted, but I have fallen for this ride. I picked it up for $3,300 and in the past 3 weeks have dumped almost an extra $1K into perking it up. So far, It has undergone the following:

New brakes & rotors, tune-up, upgrade to 17" GLE wheels, projector headlamps with HID retrofits, new stereo, speakers, tint and this weekend will intall cear taillights & sidemarkers. In a week or 2, it's going to the body shop to re-do the bumpers & rear spoiler (some scratches on corners & peeled clear on spoiler).

I'll post some updated pics after I do the rest of the lighting this weekend...

By the way, love this site. So much info & help. I think I'll be holding on to this Maxima for a while, and as a result, spending a lot of time here. Looking forward to getting to know a lot of you.
Welcome, and best of luck! Looks like you're making some SERIOUS progress on your car.

Have a look at the link in my signature. I've created a product for the saggy spare tire cover in your trunk - much better than what you have now
Old 09-16-2011, 01:32 PM

PM replied - great mod product & definitely needed! However, I'm planning on adding a full-sized spare so just might have to end up making my own eventually.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Suspension Yoda

The full size spare is taller than the spare tire well.

Thus, to level everything off, you have to raise the rest of the floor up to the top of the full size spare. It requires a bit of woodworking skill, and adds some weight to your trunk.

Without sounding biased, my personal opinion is that for the RARE times you need to use a spare tire (ideally, never!), the weight savings/efficiency of using a donut size far outweighs the convenience of having a full size during on the off-chance you ever need to use it at all.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:40 PM

The full size spare is taller than the spare tire well.

Thus, to level everything off, you have to raise the rest of the floor up to the top of the full size spare. It requires a bit of woodworking skill, and adds some weight to your trunk.
Yeah, I picked up on that from reading your build/for sale thread. What a lame design, really. My cogs are turning, trying to figure out what I can build it out of without adding too much weight. I once made a similar cover to hide stereo equipment in my 510 wagon, same principle as yours, but I swiss-cheesed the board to reduce the weight. It held up for years - until I sold it. I'm even starting to consider fabricating a "hump" cover. Gotta get my full-size spare first though.

Quick Reply: Official Intro Thread. New Owners, Step In.