5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:06 PM

does anyone have the part numbers for the dome light, the door lights (lights that come on in the door panel when you open the door) as well as the power window switches (if you can even replace those... I just noticed tonight mine are green when everything else is like a light blue which I thought looked a little weird having green power window switches.) And the map lights
Old 01-18-2012, 09:05 PM

Hmmmm, now that this is your 3rd post within 5 minutes in 3 different threads asking the same dammmm question, I'm going to go delete my answers to your questions. Hopefully that will learn you something about forum etiqite
Old 01-18-2012, 11:28 PM

so a 6 speed gauge cluster is realllly impossible to find, will an auto one work? lame i kno
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Yes it should work fine the actual cluster I belive is identical, just on the Auto version you'll have the gear indicator strip.

You are going to have a hard time finding the 6speed cluster, no doubt.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 AM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

6 speed cluster here you go

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/pts/2806561139.html
Old 01-19-2012, 09:54 AM

how can u tell if thats a 6mt? and theres no number . sketchy.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:51 AM

^^ it wont have the P N R D on the cluster
Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by JonBlz
^^ Thank this guy if that deal works out I' suggest you send him a $10 paypal kiss. You're probably going to get that for udner 50 bones.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude
^^ it wont have the P N R D on the cluster
well yeah i meant the one from cl ad. thanks everyone for ur help!
Old 01-19-2012, 01:28 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

It is 6 speed I was hitting that dude up before for his hlsd tranny

TunerMaxima3000 - lol
Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM

I need help guys. 2003 6speed Maxima SE, Canadian.

I messed up one bulb socket, went to the dealership to order couple more of those, just in case. Part #: 24860PA. Got them today and they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the ones in my cluster!
They look like this:

The ones I have in my cluster are different! Dealership double-checked my VIN in order to get the right part number, but it's not from my cluster. I will take picture of my socket, but basically you see how on this one ^^^ the contacts and "thicker plastic sections" of the socket (the ones that go through holes and then lock in place) are on 90 degree angle. On my socket the angles are different, hence the "new" ones do not make any contact with the circuit board while inserted and locked. Now question. Where do I get the ones I need??? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 PM
a.k.a. STuNtMAN

Stason those are very wrong sockets they're gonna scrape it hard
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stason
I need help guys. 2003 6speed Maxima SE, Canadian.

I messed up one bulb socket, went to the dealership to order couple more of those, just in case. Part #: 24860PA. Got them today and they are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the ones in my cluster!
They look like this:

The ones I have in my cluster are different! Dealership double-checked my VIN in order to get the right part number, but it's not from my cluster. I will take picture of my socket, but basically you see how on this one ^^^ the contacts and "thicker plastic sections" of the socket (the ones that go through holes and then lock in place) are on 90 degree angle. On my socket the angles are different, hence the "new" ones do not make any contact with the circuit board while inserted and locked. Now question. Where do I get the ones I need??? Thanks in advance.
PM me I have some, Kitchener. Letter mail.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Stason, I have the same sockets as you. I have heard that the 00-03 Maximas have at least three different sockets. If you need light in the mean time, I recommend taking a socket from your high beam or blinker lights. How did you ruin one of your sockets? The metal connectors can be manipulated to work if it was only bent out of shape.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by JonBlz
Stason those are very wrong sockets they're gonna scrape it hard
It's not that they "scrape", they actually lock in place as expected, it's just that the contacts do not touch lol

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
PM me I have some, Kitchener. Letter mail.
Appreciate it! Let me pop by the local junkyard first and see if that 5.5 is still there. I'll let you know if otherwise. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
Stason, I have the same sockets as you. I have heard that the 00-03 Maximas have at least three different sockets. If you need light in the mean time, I recommend taking a socket from your high beam or blinker lights. How did you ruin one of your sockets? The metal connectors can be manipulated to work if it was only bent out of shape.
Yeah well the bulbs are really STUCK in there, so I tried to bush the bulb out with a really thin flat-head, which resulted in slight shift of the contacts. I didn't notice and plugged the socket with LED back in cluster, turned - it wouldn't lock, so I turned some more Mhm.. Next thing - socket breaks in pieces. Smart me.

Anyway, here is the pic. On the left - my socket, on the right - whatever dealership sold me according to my VIN.

As you can see, the bases are completely different. Mine is flat, the wrong one has a "curve". The "middle rings" are completely different as well. The locking mechanisms are different too. The contacts position is different. And to top it off, they are different in sizes ))))))
Old 01-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Hope all goes well with getting the right bulbs Stason but on a different note here is what the HP3 LED's did for my cluster. I also played with the setting to get the pics to look nearly identical to real life. All pics had the same settings.

1. First pic is with stock bulbs

2..Second pic is when I switched my blinker bulbs and cluster bulbs. This means it is still stock but the bulbs used to light the gauges are like new since the blinker bulbs are hardly used.

3. Third pic is obviously LEDs. Warm white for the gauges (top two bulbs) and cool white for the LCD screens (bottom bulbs). With the warm white in the LCD sockets it was not very good looking. I strongly recommend cool white at least for the LCD sockets.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:25 AM

A nice before and after pic of the blue led change for climate control and the LCD screen and a new red bulb for the hazard switch. Makes the car have new life and feel updated.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 PM

got my bulbs today for my cluster...put them in...dont work...took them out switched the bulbs aroound...dont work...take em out again and make the tabs tighters...dont work...wtf?
Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM

wow reading does great things

*The dimmer switch needs to be plugged in as well. (obvious, when you think about it)*
Old 01-20-2012, 12:47 PM

I need this in my life, More than half my cluster is out -___-. Previous owner paid someone to do it and they screwed it all up..
Old 01-20-2012, 01:31 PM

^^ ay atleast u got a sexy *** cf hood lmao
Old 01-20-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stason
It's not that they "scrape", they actually lock in place as expected, it's just that the contacts do not touch lol

Appreciate it! Let me pop by the local junkyard first and see if that 5.5 is still there. I'll let you know if otherwise. Thanks!

Yeah well the bulbs are really STUCK in there, so I tried to bush the bulb out with a really thin flat-head, which resulted in slight shift of the contacts. I didn't notice and plugged the socket with LED back in cluster, turned - it wouldn't lock, so I turned some more Mhm.. Next thing - socket breaks in pieces. Smart me.

Anyway, here is the pic. On the left - my socket, on the right - whatever dealership sold me according to my VIN.

As you can see, the bases are completely different. Mine is flat, the wrong one has a "curve". The "middle rings" are completely different as well. The locking mechanisms are different too. The contacts position is different. And to top it off, they are different in sizes ))))))
Hmm don't think I have those, those are completely different they actually seem to make contact on the inside of the circuit board
Old 01-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Banned

Hmm don't think I have those, those are completely different they actually seem to make contact on the inside of the circuit board
Superbright has some like that for sale.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...nstrument.html
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM

well wanted to do the climate control but bought 5mm blue and was wondering if anyone wanted to buy these?
$5.00 shipped?
plus just to be suree i need the 3mm instead?
Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM

Pffft make it fit!

Those suck anyways. Just my opinion. Although there's not really any options out there for the neowedge game in our climate controls (for plug and play stuff anyways)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 02whitemaximase
A nice before and after pic of the blue led change for climate control and the LCD screen and a new red bulb for the hazard switch. Makes the car have new life and feel updated.

Good taste on HUs. I have the same one.

What bulbs did you use for the Climate Control? Hard to tell if there is any hot spotting in that pic like I get with the cool white wedge bulbs I have in there now. Can you upload a non-blurry pic?

More - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/605596...-maxima/page-2
Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 AM

Individually, the lit elements look real nice there. But when you start thinking about the hotspots, then ECON and MODE are screaming at you.

Or is that normal for climate controls? I only have the basic controls.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Individually, the lit elements look real nice there. But when you start thinking about the hotspots, then ECON and MODE are screaming at you.

Or is that normal for climate controls? I only have the basic controls.
There are 3 bulbs total. One located behind ECON, MODE and "Fan".

The blue bulbs that "02whitemaximase" used doesn't appear to show the same amount of hot spotting as the cool white bulbs I used.

The hot spotting is slowly driving me insane...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

My bulbs were also in there like hell. So, I opted for the bulb/holder
I had the same issue with my set-up. I needed to modify the holders that I purchased since they do not line up with the circuit board and are slightly larger.

I ended up needing to scrape a slot on the bottom end and make sure they make contact. Very tedious and time consuming (trial & error).

Also, those other LED (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ecs/74_t15.htm) combos if you will are not as bright as the items in the original post.

So, now, I'm stuck with a dim odometer until I get around to modifying one of the bases to fit again.

I have tons of extra bases since I bought 3 sets thinking they would all be the same, some are huge, others aren't the right type, and others need to be modified.

I understand how they need to work (make contact) but it's turned into to a PITA in order to modify them to fit, then to test fit them and ensure they actually are modified correctly.

Mine also need to make contact on the inside. I think I will try that part #. I wonder if it's a Canadian thing with those PN's. I'll have to call my local place and find out. (Part # 24860PA)
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Peculiar. Can you guys post the Production dates of your cars and what holders you have either in this thread or HERE so i can try and sort this out for everyone as best as possible.

And Rochester RE: Auto CLIMATE CONTROL: That thing SUCKS it's soooo hard to have no hotpots without getting insane and in depth. It's just a poor illumination design. everything's packed so tight there's no room to play. I do have a spare one and I might try a few things on it for the HOW TO LED your 5th gen thread. I never did get the hotspots fixed on mine, although they're not near as bad as that.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:10 PM

just a update to my woes with juknking the whole cluster cause i broke the needles off, i got a cluster with 78k on it and already installed white indiglo gauges for 60 shipped.. ill post pics of the outcome

i also have 3 good bulb holders and 3 blue 73 leds ill let go for little of nothin, its the good bulb holders
Old 01-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by amixamse
just a update to my woes with juknking the whole cluster cause i broke the needles off, i got a cluster with 78k on it and already installed white indiglo gauges for 60 shipped.. ill post pics of the outcome

i also have 3 good bulb holders and 3 blue 73 leds ill let go for little of nothin, its the good bulb holders
Did you slide them over the needles?

Crazy risk to take messing around swapping gauge faces after your previous experience of popping a needle off just from changing a bulb.

Hope the results are good! Do you want to know how to change the Mileage over from your old gauges?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

Peculiar. Can you guys post the Production dates of your cars and what holders you have either in this thread or HERE so i can try and sort this out for everyone as best as possible.

My holders are exactly like the ones on the left in the pic above. Production date is 10/02. (MY 03 SE TE)
Old 01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Did you slide them over the needles?

Crazy risk to take messing around swapping gauge faces after your previous experience of popping a needle off just from changing a bulb.

Hope the results are good! Do you want to know how to change the Mileage over from your old gauges?
I think he meant the new-to-him cluster had them installed by the previous owner.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
There are 3 bulbs total. One located behind ECON, MODE and "Fan".

The blue bulbs that "02whitemaximase" used doesn't appear to show the same amount of hot spotting as the cool white bulbs I used.

The hot spotting is slowly driving me insane...
ECON!! ECON!! ECON!!
Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Banned

How about putting a little piece of some form of tint behind the ECON and MODE buttons.dammit i miss having auto climate and leather damn thiefs!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
I think he meant the new-to-him cluster had them installed by the previous owner.
Ahhh yup re-read it and I think you're correct. LETs see those pics! I always wanted to try those gauge faces they look great.

ECON!! ECON!! ECON!!
LMAO

Originally Posted by cjandura
How about putting a little piece of some form of tint behind the ECON and MODE buttons.dammit i miss having auto climate and leather damn thiefs!
Ugh don't worry I'll make a solution for you guys. THEN I'll auction off the unit

How much would someone pay for that plus shipping? Wonder if it's worth it.....
Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 AM

ECON!! ECON!! ECON!!
LOL...

I'm thinking about putting in some new OEM bulbs and just changing the LED screen blue to match. Judging from the low output of the OEM bulbs in the gauge cluster over time I'm hoping the new OEM bulbs for the A/C will be a bit brighter than the old OEM ones I removed.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
LOL...

I'm thinking about putting in some new OEM bulbs and just changing the LED screen blue to match. Judging from the low output of the OEM bulbs in the gauge cluster over time I'm hoping the new OEM bulbs for the A/C will be a bit brighter than the old OEM ones I removed.
Yeah, I'm just teasing you, UGAd13. Because I can relate to what it means when something not-quite-right gets under your skin.

If it weren't for the hot-spotting, I would have swapped bulbs on my Heat/AC controls a long time ago.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:24 PM

an update to my search for a cluster since i snapped my needles off, i got lucky on ebay and got a low mileage cluster with already installed reverse white face indiglo gauges. 60 bucks and 5 days later they got here. just got em put on and wanted to share pics. the led factory gauges were my first pic, but im really happy about this recent purchase. theyre bad azz from the real "drivers view" : ) : ) : )

after!!! u can see the needles better in person, theyre just not bright for some reason.

Quick Reply: Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!