5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Rochester
I swear it reads like you're blushing here.

Got pictures of the clock?
No blushing. I just have an acute awareness of my limitations.

No photo yet. I can try to snap one later today.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:19 AM

That's an excellent link. It almost got buried in your instructions.

You know, I have a large hobbie store within walking distance.

[edit] I just now looked at the cluster again, and to my surprise I find the cluster is absolutely blue... during the daytime. And yet at night, it looked more white than blue. There are things at work here beyond simple color.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-08-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:04 AM

The clock comes out easy enough, although I lost one of the metal side clips into the bowels of the dashboard.

Now that the clock is apart and in my hands, I see now why you would be using cellophane. Hmm.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-08-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 AM

makes me wish I took the time to do this... looks good
Old 05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Toolie

you guys need one of these... Call up a place that sells Lee Filter media and ask for one of these sample packs, they are about the size of your clock.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
You're certainly welcome. It's something to do while drinking your coffee in the morning. I should have taken photos, but I only have two hands.
How do you drink your coffee do you just hold it with your mouth and tip your head as needed?

Just hating man, carry on

Originally Posted by knight_yyz

you guys need one of these... Call up a place that sells Lee Filter media and ask for one of these sample packs, they are about the size of your clock.
Please let me know where you got that man! I desperately need exactly that.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Toolie

downtown toronto

http://www.leefilterscanada.com/
Old 05-08-2011, 11:51 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
How do you drink your coffee do you just hold it with your mouth and tip your head as needed?...
One hand for the coffee, one hand for the mod work. Obviously.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:05 PM

I wonder how many people have swapped bulbs this since SeedyRom made this thread? It feels like a whole lot of Org members, and then double or triple that for people who just lurk and don't post.
Good question. I'm sure they've seen a little spike in sales for those specific lights and probably wonder why
Old 05-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well the max & I got re-antiquated a good bit this weekend. Changed the oil, the gear oil in the trans and brake fluid. Installed ES Motor Mounts & clutch bushings I've had for several years. And finally changed the cluster & ACC bulbs.

Here's close ups for the cluster & ACC:
The blinkers are blue too.

And here's a couple from the back seat:

All in all I think they look pretty good. The ACC has the hot spots but it did stock too.
The camera is just a Canon PowerShot A570, pics look grainy...

Last edited by MaximaMan77; 05-08-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:03 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by MaximaMan77
Well the max & I got re-antiquated a good bit this weekend. Changed the oil, the gear oil in the trans and brake fluid. Installed ES Motor Mounts & clutch bushings I've had for several years. And finally changed the cluster & ACC bulbs...
Sounds like you had a busy weekend. Want a topper for all that progress? Match your clock color. It's glaring at me in that second to last image.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Well the max & I got re-antiquated a good bit this weekend. Changed the oil, the gear oil in the trans and brake fluid. Installed ES Motor Mounts & clutch bushings I've had for several years. And finally changed the cluster & ACC bulbs.

All in all I think they look pretty good. The ACC has the hot spots but it did stock too.
Sounds like you had a busy weekend. Want a topper for all that progress? Match your clock color. It's glaring at me in that second to last image.
I didn't notice that, I noticed the stock bose illumination, man does it ever look crappy now. Has anyone bothered doing the lighting in it? Or do we all just replace it with aftermarket stereo equipment?
Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I didn't notice that, I noticed the stock bose illumination, man does it ever look crappy now. Has anyone bothered doing the lighting in it? Or do we all just replace it with aftermarket stereo equipment?
True. The radio control illumination is not as much of an eyesore after I did the cellophane mod to the LCD. It blends in as long as the radio is on. I didn't have the courage to take it apart any further last night.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 PM

Yea, after seeing the Lee sample pack I planned I getting my hands on one.

With regards to the radio, it's more trouble than it's worth. When the cash flow gets better I plan to go aftermarket. I want a radio with bluetooth connectivity.

With what you guys noticed I'm surprised no one has given me any crap about the mileage...
Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

...With what you guys noticed I'm surprised no one has given me any crap about the mileage...
Solicited mileage comment: No wonder you have so much time with projects on your car, you never drive it.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:18 PM

Solicited mileage comment: No wonder you have so much time with projects on your car, you never drive it.
Long story short, I bought the car for my wife and she had a very short commute. Now she works from home. With gas prices where they are and my 08 Sierra getting 16-17mpg I'm driving the car.

I tried cellophane on the clock in the past but could never get it to look right. I hope it goes better this time.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 AM
Toolie

The bose can be done, but once it's converted there is no going back

Old 05-09-2011, 02:33 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I did this on my 2000 Maxima WAY WAY WAY back in the day.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...-complete.html

I also did my Climate control and door switches, all very easy stuff. If you screwed up, it wasn't a bad thing, didn't blow anything up for me, just simple electronics
Old 05-09-2011, 02:36 AM
Turbo'd Saab

I know its blurry but its the best I got.

I also did the turn the Green display to white mod.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Old 05-09-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
I did this on my 2000 Maxima WAY WAY WAY back in the day.
Looks good but the point of this thread is for 5.5 owners who have a different cluster layout and didn't have (or know about) their options like you did at the time.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
The bose can be done, but once it's converted there is no going back
I figure this will cure my Bose lighting problem.

Sony Xplod MEX-BT3900U:
Compatible Bluetooth® Profiles : A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile)1.2
AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Profile)1.3
HFP (Handsfree Profile)1.5
OPP (Object Push Profile)
PBAP (Phone Book Access Profile)

Not bad for $150.

Back OT I've got the Lee sample book on the way.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 AM
You embarrass me.

Zero is on-board!

I wonder how many people have swapped bulbs this since SeedyRom made this thread? It feels like a whole lot of Org members, and then double or triple that for people who just lurk and don't post.

This is really neat to have caught this wave. Man, I love the Org.
I am on-board finally, and very pleased with this modification. The gauge lighting has always bothered me and it is great to have such a well discussed and planned modification laid out here.

I will post a thread regarding the rings as they are a new product by The Tuning Shop for our 5.5s.

Now it's just to install the HVAC bulbs and do the clock lighting. I might stop by the crafts store today for some purple cellophane.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I will post a thread regarding the rings as they are a new product by The Tuning Shop for our 5.5s.

Now it's just to install the HVAC bulbs and do the clock lighting. I might stop by the crafts store today for some purple cellophane.
Please do. Link to it from here in case I miss it.

Along those lines, I think nelledge should start a clock-mod thread.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:14 AM

I have a 2002 Altima which uses approximately 13 bulbs, if you want to include the high beam indicator. I swapped out only 12 of those originally with a plain LED that had major hot spotting with the gauge layout I had created.

I decided to go with the "warm white" as suggested and couldn't be happier. The only issue I have had was taking a screw driver and pushing the contacts closer. I did this on the majority of them and now have THREE that don't seem to work. I looked inside and it looks like on all three one of the contacts is missing.

I know someone posted a question about these bases earlier. They have Toshiba - V2 I believe written on them (can't recall right now as I am away from my car or home). Is there any place we can obtain replacement bases?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Please do. Link to it from here in case I miss it.

Along those lines, I think nelledge should start a clock-mod thread.
I can do a write up thread if people would like. I'm sure there's already one out there. Although, I didn't find it quickly with the search. I'll have to bold and italicize the caution note for the clip.

Originally Posted by Polished2002
...I know someone posted a question about these bases earlier. They have Toshiba - V2 I believe written on them (can't recall right now as I am away from my car or home). Is there any place we can obtain replacement bases?

It looks like they'll cost you about 25 cents a piece.
(edited for accuracy)

OAN: Knight, drop the resolution on that photo a bit.

Last edited by nelledge; 05-09-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 AM

I can do a write up thread if people would like. I'm sure there's already one out there. Although, I didn't find it quickly with the search. I'll have to bold and italicize the caution note for the clip.

Of course you can get them the same place you buy the bulbs. Click here for the page. It looks like they'll cost you about a buck a piece. .25 on Amazon if you're not already purchasing from SBL.

OAN: Knight, drop the resolution on that photo a bit.

The link to Amazon you posted is for a T-10 base, the bases are T-5. Found it!!! - http://www.amazon.com/T5-Wedge-Base-...sr=1-1-catcorr

Last edited by Polished2002; 05-09-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:03 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Polished2002
The link to Amazon you posted is for a T-10 base, the bases are T-5. Found it!!! - http://www.amazon.com/T5-Wedge-Base-...sr=1-1-catcorr
Good call. Fixed.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by SeedyROM
Looks good but the point of this thread is for 5.5 owners who have a different cluster layout and didn't have (or know about) their options like you did at the time.
and I got the instructions from a thread on here from a bunch of guys doing it to there 5.5

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ur-gauges.html
Old 05-09-2011, 05:53 PM

On the way home this evening, I picked up some cellophane from the hobby store, in pink and purple. And I experimented just now with the clock.

This is so cool!!!

I'm thinking 1 strip of purple, and 2 strips of pink will work really well to match the cool-white LED's in the cluster. It's all just experimentation right now, because I have to wait until week's end to get the replacement clips that got sucked into my dashboard. And I still want to cut the wire to allow for the clock to stay bright 100% of the time. (Red wire with black stripe, right?)

Thanks for the tip, nelledge. This thread is awesome.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DrunkieTheBear
and I got the instructions from a thread on here from a bunch of guys doing it to there 5.5

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ur-gauges.html
Whoa, should rename that thread to Hot-Spot City

We have it much better now.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Name:  3vz77.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  124.1 KB
my end result, very happy with the change, just need to change up the clock and maybe the hvac
Old 05-09-2011, 06:21 PM

See, now that looks blue. And the 10:00 and 2:00 hot spots are very noticeable in that picture. IDK... there are so many subtle differences in all these photos. It's a very difficult thing to represent with continuity.

The only thing that can be said with certainty is that this inexpensive little mod is better than the OEM bulbs, hands down.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 PM

On the way home this evening, I picked up some cellophane from the hobby store, in pink and purple. And I experimented just now with the clock.

This is so cool!!!.
The clock never really bothered me but now you guys have me wanting to do it too. Good stuff!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 PM

I suspect that there is a voltage drop with some gauges, I have been monitoring the voltage as I've been checking different gauges and it seems to range. Some clusters only get around 10v. Some get the full 14v

The results are obvious. It's quite possible this is a fluke, but would explain the different pics somewhat... besides just the obvious different cameras and gauge faces between years.

We know the 2002/2003 SE has a different blue tinting so that may make some difference also.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:28 PM

Just ordered the Warm White...

...feel like staying closer to stock, just brighter.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:09 PM

See, now that looks blue. And the 10:00 and 2:00 hot spots are very noticeable in that picture. IDK... there are so many subtle differences in all these photos. It's a very difficult thing to represent with continuity.

The only thing that can be said with certainty is that this inexpensive little mod is better than the OEM bulbs, hands down.
well my Droid X didn't do the cluster justice at all, in person the hot spots are minimal at best, I'm still envious of Tuner though
Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 AM

It's a waste to take pictures of them, it never shows the color as how it is.

Stock lighting, not my car:

This shot was with severe hot spotting (before warm white):

If I take a picture now after the warm white, you would be hard pressed to see the color changes on the camera. The colors are orange and red. I'll add the picture with the warm white a little later today.

I realize for this LED lighting, because it's so bright, you have to see it in person. The only way I can take a proper picture with the right color, is probably to dim the lights and then that takes away from the brightness.

UPDATED: "warm white" - Gauge faces are actually ORANGE and RED. So a white gauge face would look white - I'll have a white and blue up by this weekend. Areas marked with red boxes have no light; bad LED was a dud and I mangled two of my T-5 bases.

Last edited by Polished2002; 05-12-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM
The clock never really bothered me but now you guys have me wanting to do it too. Good stuff!
1 purple strip of cellophane, and 2 pink strips of cellophane. The result is a cool-white clock, with just a hint of bluish tinge to it. In other words, a reasonable match for the cluster when using the cool-white LED's.

Then clip the red wire with a black stripe, and the clock will stay in bright-mode all the time, regardless of the headlights being on. With the cellophane filters, it's slightly dimmer than normal (just barely), which is perfect for night-time. (I'm assuming here... need to check later tonight.)

After my clips come in later this week, I'll take pictures with the clock fully reassembled. But right now, I'm feeling pretty good about this little mod.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-10-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM

To stop the clock from dimming, cut the "ILL" wire on the harness. I believe it was orange with a red stripe, but it's marked clearly on the harness and connector.
nelledge, sure, it's marked on the connector as "ILL", but I don't see how that maps to the wires. Electrical Genius I'm not. But searching the Org for "clock" gets a number of hits talking about this mod. The consensus is to cut the red wire...

...except there are two. One is red with a black stripe, and one is orange with a red stripe. So I took a 50:50 leap of faith, and snipped the red w/black stripe wire.

And that worked.

Quick Reply: Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!