5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
DLO

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
The drop in you're looking for... what do you mean exactly? A stock replacement, or a brighter than stock replacement?
Anything not green, but brighter ideally.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 AM

One of them, this will get the Climate Control free:

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/03..._rem/index.htm

EDIT: Ok finally found it. This is the good one: http://home.comcast.net/~kcmurphy72/i30/HVAC.pdf
Great links, thanks!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by DLO
Anything not green, but brighter ideally.
I haven't done a manual climate control yet, but with the ACC, there is actually a tinting on the buttons, etc. That means, if you install a white light they don't actually illuminate white. I haven't done much testing with them though so I am afraid I can't be of much assistance.

Do your stock bulbs have a 'condom' on them to change the output colour (green or blue cover)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:28 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I haven't done a manual climate control yet, but with the ACC, there is actually a tinting on the buttons, etc. That means, if you install a white light they don't actually illuminate white. I haven't done much testing with them though so I am afraid I can't be of much assistance.

Do your stock bulbs have a 'condom' on them to change the output colour (green or blue cover)
The manual climate control has no tint(02 SE). Nissan uses condoms on the bulbs to change the color(blue I believe). I changed to the Cool White LEDs and it is.... cool white. Definitely hot-spots with the NEO4s, but at least I can see the buttons at night now. I might experiment with other styles in the future, though.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Not that any of you care but my package from SuperBright is MIA...

I called and the lady was very nice and helpful, but there's not much they can do except wait a few more days and we'll go from there. I’ve got a feelin' that the extreme weather in MO has something to do with it.

Mother Nature is f'ing with my LED mods...

Expected Delivery Date: April 23, 2011
Class: First-Class Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Your item was processed through and left our HAZELWOOD, MO 63042 facility on April 21, 2011 at 7:31 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Processed through Sort Facility, April 21, 2011, 7:31 pm, HAZELWOOD, MO 63042
Shipment Accepted, April 20, 2011, 3:54 pm, BRIDGETON, MO 63044
Electronic Shipping Info Received, April 20, 2011
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Thanks for putting this thread up..I wondered about changing the dash lights. Your dash looks real good.

Last edited by TTYME; 04-26-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:13 AM

I know this is for the 5.5 gen but are the bulbs the same on the 5th gen for the cluster ?
thanks !
Old 04-27-2011, 05:26 PM

If removing the cluster is still not clear i found a writeup on Nicoclub that is very straight forward with pics.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/max...uge-rings.html

Thanks for the research Seedy!!
Old 04-27-2011, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by sean16921
I know this is for the 5.5 gen but are the bulbs the same on the 5th gen for the cluster ?
thanks !
As I've never opened an earlier one, I can't say for sure. I do know the clusters are different though.

Originally Posted by djshwini
If removing the cluster is still not clear i found a writeup on Nicoclub that is very straight forward with pics.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/max...uge-rings.html
Good find, thanks!
Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by sean16921
thanks !
Yes they are the same bulbs.
Seedy is correct though, the gauges themselves are not the same.
The 1999-2000 Production dates for the 2000/2001 Model year use 4 bulbs for the gauge illumination, and then there is also 1 bulb behind the LCD screen.

Don't expect the same results as shown. In all effect, the results should be better with the older style gauges and these 'drop-in' bulbs.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:55 AM
Toolie

blue led strips cut into threes and strategically placed, behind and below

Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
blue led strips cut into threes and strategically placed, behind and below
yikes... please tell me it doesn't look like that in person. wayyyy too much blue.

p.s. WTF is hanging from your rear view?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
WTF is hanging from your rear view?
If this were 1986, my guess would be a roach clip feather.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Glad I'm not the only one to remember those.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by UGAd13
p.s. WTF is hanging from your rear view?
Took the words straight out of my mou-,uh fingers. WTF, I thought you were a dude, Knight? Don't tell me you have a vagina! I'm so confused now.

So, TM, I think my eyes must not be working right? I look at my gauge cluster and don't see any "green." The light coming from the stock bulbs through the stock SE tint looks like a white/trending to "dark white" to me. Also, thanks for prattling on about "hot spots" over and over again: Now I can't help but see where the stock hot spots are, whereas before this thread, I never noticed them!
Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
Glad I'm not the only one to remember those.
had to google that being that I was just a wee lad in '86...

Rad

Tubular

I was right though. 80's punks "modding" a roach clip.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Toolie

First of all, it isn't that bright. Digital cameras don't like blue leds. And it isn't a roach clip its a native Indian dream catcher.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:57 AM

And it isn't a roach clip its a native Indian dream catcher.
Same thing, Ray.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Toolie

Ok?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:17 AM

I was BORN in '86
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM

First of all, it isn't that bright. Digital cameras don't like blue leds. And it isn't a roach clip its a native Indian dream catcher.
I would have stuck with roach clip.

OP - Sorry for derailing the thread.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jowo9
I was BORN in '86

Originally Posted by Eirik
So, TM, I think my eyes must not be working right? I look at my gauge cluster and don't see any "green." The light coming from the stock bulbs through the stock SE tint looks like a white/trending to "dark white" to me.
Addmitedly I didn't re-read the thread, why do you think it would be green? Did I say that somewhere? SE Gauges shouldn't be green, they should be white and blue in my experience. You have white-faced gauges correct?

Originally Posted by Eirik
Also, thanks for prattling on about "hot spots" over and over again: Now I can't help but see where the stock hot spots are, whereas before this thread, I never noticed them!
Hehe... sorry, one of the negatives about being such a perfectionist. It's the same as spending a week cleaning your engine bay, then after being fully satisfied, reading one of Rochesters Engine thread's , and suddenly you have WAY more work to do...
Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM

Addmitedly I didn't re-read the thread, why do you think it would be green? Did I say that somewhere? SE Gauges shouldn't be green, they should be white and blue in my experience. You have white-faced gauges correct
It was actually knight who mentioned the blue + yellow = green comment. I think he was confused because you replied to knight explaining that old incandescent lighting can change color and such.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Toolie

Every stock maxima I have been in has green lighting. Gauges, window switches, key ring etc.

Maybe it was different when they were new?.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:48 PM

Perhaps, I'm not sure as a newbie Maxima guy. I just know my 02 SE gauges were white/yellow after 120k miles when I bought it but all the key rings/switches are still green.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Better late than never!!!

I dig the creativity. Excellent mod and even more excellent price.

Everytime I turn around...my list is getting longer and longer.

Roch...when are you tackling it?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by exandr
Roch...when are you tackling it?
Sometime over the next few weeks. Warm white bulbs from SuperBrightLED's. Figure I'd buy 5, so that I have one as a back-up should they not last for whatever reason.

If Tuner weren't 3 hours away in some strange, foreign country, I think I'd get in line for his custom work.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SeedyROM
It was actually knight who mentioned the blue + yellow = green comment. I think he was confused because you replied to knight explaining that old incandescent lighting can change color and such.
Every stock maxima I have been in has green lighting. Gauges, window switches, key ring etc.

Maybe it was different when they were new?.
Hmm strange. Anyways, Almost all the interior is green, except the gauges. I have not seen a green gauge except for the I30. And it seems to change colour from green to white once the headlights turn on...? Not 100% on that though.

Can someone please post a picture of the 2002/2003 SE gauges for reference? Are they white faced with blue like these:

Or are they different on the 02/03? I haven't done one yet.

If Tuner weren't 3 hours away in some strange, foreign country, I think I'd get in line for his custom work.
If you can wait until we do meet up John, I can do the 5.5 'brighten' job in under 2 hours, as long as I have the stuff with me I can do it on the road too.

That is, if you don't mind bunking out in one of the local igloos and trying on touques while I do it.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Toolie

the SE gauges are blue. But the ****ty bulbs are yellow. yellow + blue = puke green.
All the climate bulbs are yellow with blue condoms, = puke green, the bose bulbs are yellow with blue condoms = puke green. The key light etc, all yellow with blue condom
Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

...Can someone please post a picture of the 2002/2003 SE gauges for reference?...
the SE gauges are blue. But the ****ty bulbs are yellow. yellow + blue = puke green.
All the climate bulbs are yellow with blue condoms, = puke green, the bose bulbs are yellow with blue condoms = puke green. The key light etc, all yellow with blue condom
I'm a little confused about these posts. Both SeedyROM and I have 2002 SE's and have posted before/after pics. Are you looking for something else.

And Knight, what are you talking about? Other years maybe? I believe this thread originally addressed the 5.5. The SE gauges have a light blue tint to them, but the cluster isn't puke green or any other shade of green. Yes, the stock bulbs are incandescent,, but they have a tint on them that, mixed with the blue tint of the cluster, appears as a warm white light.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:06 AM

If you can wait until we do meet up John, I can do the 5.5 'brighten' job in under 2 hours, as long as I have the stuff with me I can do it on the road too.
I will give that serious consideration. In the meanwhile, I'll play with these drop-in replacements.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:36 AM

Sometime over the next few weeks. Warm white bulbs from SuperBrightLED's. Figure I'd buy 5, so that I have one as a back-up should they not last for whatever reason.

Makes perfect sense to me. It's been added to the list, but I have other things to address first.

Yea...if only he were closer!
Old 04-29-2011, 06:40 AM

Puke green...
Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 AM

When I say "added to the list", I mean that quite literally. For the last few years I've been using a detailed spreadsheet for tracking and planning automotive expenses. That might seem a little OCD, but once you start managing an on-going hobby that way, it really helps.

Just some unsolicited advice... take it, ignore it or laugh at me. It's OK, I'm not proud.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:53 AM

When I say "added to the list", I mean that quite literally. For the last few years I've been using a detailed spreadsheet for tracking and planning automotive expenses. That might seem a little OCD, but once you start managing an on-going hobby that way, it really helps.

Just some unsolicited advice... take it, ignore it or laugh at me. It's OK, I'm not proud.

I thought I was the only one who did this. My wife told me I was a "Maxima Nerd"! I'm so OCD that I want everything exact. Sometimes I just forget to input my mileage when I do something to the car. That pisses me off !
Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 PM

Received mine today...couldn't wait so I put them on tonight. It did take a while due to having to flip around the ones that weren't lit...doing it night helps too since u get to appreciate the big difference from stock. Will do my climate control tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 PM

does the dimmer switch still work appropriately? if so I'm definitely making this modification as the stock lighting has always bothered me
Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Skorp1on
Received mine today...couldn't wait so I put them on tonight. It did take a while due to having to flip around the ones that weren't lit...doing it night helps too since u get to appreciate the big difference from stock. Will do my climate control tomorrow.
Glad to hear it!

Originally Posted by bred
does the dimmer switch still work appropriately? if so I'm definitely making this modification as the stock lighting has always bothered me
Yep, works just fine. See the video on the first page (edited first post).
Old 04-30-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Skorp1on
Thanks for posting.

Can you post Pictures and colour used?
Old 04-30-2011, 09:54 AM

Excellent find! Thanks

Quick Reply: Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!