5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 PM

another happy customer. a little hot spot here and there and i like it alot, especially because it only took me 30 minutes.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Big thanks to Seedy & Tuner for all your great work. I finally got a chance to install my LED upgrades today.

The previous drop-in LEDs looked like they were for the 5.5 SE so I figured I'd show what they look like in the 5.5 GLE.

I used 74-xHP3 (x4) Cool White for the instrument panel and Neo-4 (x3) Cool White for the Auto Climate Control. The instrument panel came out great, but the A/C came out with some huge hot spots.

Stock 2003 GLE: Day

Stock 2003 GLE: Night

74-xHP3 Cool White LED: Night

Stock 2003 GLE: Night (one bulb in A/C out)

LED Upgrade: Night

LED A/C: Night

There are 2 bulbs close together on the right side and only 1 on the left side under "ECON", hence the hot spots. I'm not sure if the manual A/C has a different layout.

Stock instrument panel lights... no wonder they dim over time

I tried to change the clock and A/C to white or blue (depending on what looked better), but the material I bought was not transparent enough to let enough light through. I need to find colored overhead transparencies and give it another shot to complete the look.

Also ran the BT mic to it's new spot:

Notes:
        Old 04-30-2011, 10:18 PM

Received my bulbs today and installed them this afternoon. I do not have the bulbs mentioned by OP (I have a 2000), but used 6 Neo5's for cluster and 3 Neo4's for AC unit as mentioned in Professor's drop-in thread. Forgot to take before photos, but here are the results. All pictures were taken with the 5MP on my phone.

Install was fairly straight forward, even for a first timer like myself. I started out using the first section of Housecor's write up for installing chrome rings. I got going and realized it was far too over the top. Removing kick plate, removing brace for steering column, removing ANOTHER brace, dropping steering column 6 inches, dont know where he was going with that one. I didnt get far at all until I used the write up on NissanClub with pictures, it was very helpful.

During...

....aaaand after. Im really surprised that the instrument cluster turned out so uniform, theres not really any hotspots in person. The AC on the other hand, has quite a lot, but I can live with it. Does anyone know how I could make the screen on the AC blue...or at least white? I was thinking a sheet of colored cellophane.

OFF TOPIC: Does anyone know what bulbs are used for window and locks on doors, as well as 5th gen auto shifter? Figured I wouldnt clutter up topic board with a quick Q that one of the LED guru's in here would know.
        Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 PM

Awesome results guys! I really appreciate the followups with the different models/years
        Old 05-01-2011, 04:58 AM

It's May (Yippie!), so I'm ordering these bulbs now. But I have to say, although I thought I was certain to get the warm-white bulbs for the cluster, these recent sets of pictures really have me thinking of cool-white.

For my personal taste in things, I prefer the approach of just making the cluster brighter, and more sharp at night, which is why when I saw DLO's pictures with the warm-white bulbs, I locked in my preference. Here are the pictures one over the other, sized to one-another for continuity when comparing:

This is DLO's warm-white drop-in cluster. It's a clean, look. Not at all ostentatious.

But then UGAd13 came through with a perfectly clear photo of the cool-white bulbs. And although the blue isn't my cup of tea, and the red-line kind of disappears in the tach... I have to admit this is a really, really appealing photo.

Decisions... decisions...

Last edited by Rochester; 05-01-2011 at 05:06 AM.
        Old 05-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by MAXXED_816
        Does anyone know how I could make the screen on the AC blue...or at least white? I was thinking a sheet of colored cellophane.
        You got it. You just need to overlay the display with red first to make white, then you can overlay the blue.

Originally Posted by Rochester
        But then UGAd13 came through with a perfectly clear photo of the cool-white bulbs. And although the blue isn't my cup of tea, and the red-line kind of disappears in the tach... I have to admit this is a really, really appealing photo.
        It's definitely not an overwhelming blue in person, which I was really hoping for. It is a nice upgrade and looks like it could have rolled off the factory this year. For $30 you can try both sets and resell the one you don't use. Once you get the panel removed it's fairly easy to swap the bulbs in and out.
        Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM

I just installed the cool whites in my 02 SE today, without seeing them at night the difference is still pretty dramatic. One of my 4 LEDs appears to be non-functional right out of the package (I tested it in a few bulb housings/orientations to no avail) but a nice and easy modification.

I have to comment on the various write-ups for installing chrome rings/etc. that apply to this drop in replacement, I read housecors write up last week and didn't understand all the stuff that was removed but the nicoclub writeup linked here worked perfectly.
        Old 05-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Thanks to those that recommended it, I went ahead and added the Nico Club link to the first post.
        Old 05-01-2011, 04:53 PM

It's May (Yippie!), so I'm ordering these bulbs now. But I have to say, although I thought I was certain to get the warm-white bulbs for the cluster, these recent sets of pictures really have me thinking of cool-white.

For my personal taste in things, I prefer the approach of just making the cluster brighter, and more sharp at night, which is why when I saw DLO's pictures with the warm-white bulbs, I locked in my preference. Here are the pictures one over the other, sized to one-another for continuity when comparing:

This is DLO's warm-white drop-in cluster. It's a clean, look. Not at all ostentatious.

Decisions... decisions...

Going to be doing this soon looks to good not to....
        Old 05-01-2011, 07:59 PM
        You embarrass me.

Had to do it. Damn you guys and these crisp pictures. Ordered my set for the gauges and the HVAC controls.
        Old 05-01-2011, 08:01 PM

^What color did you go with?
        Old 05-01-2011, 08:04 PM
        You embarrass me.

^What color did you go with?
        Cool White for the gauges. Blue for the HVAC controls. My window switches and key ring are already in blue LEDs. It all should tie in nicely.
        Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 AM
        RR5

5 warm-white on the way. It is extremely difficult to capture true to life the gauges at night.
        Old 05-02-2011, 06:56 AM

Warm white ordered today. I'll take some photos once its completed.
        Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Cool white ordered today. This is quite a buzz you created, SeedyRom.
        Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM

6 Neo5's
        Link for those? Are they just a 5 smd the same style? Thanks

Im really surprised that the instrument cluster turned out so uniform, theres not really any hotspots in person.

Looks great man, I was very curious how it would come out on a 2000/2001 style gauge. But you said you used different bulbs.. Hmmm I may have to try it myself when mine get here.

OFF TOPIC: Does anyone know what bulbs are used for window and locks on doors, as well as 5th gen auto shifter? Figured I wouldnt clutter up topic board with a quick Q that one of the LED guru's in here would know.
        The Window switches are LED's. All use a 3mm water clear except the master switch. The master uses 5 very, very tiny SMD LED's. None of these LED's are a simple replacement, but especially not the Master switch, it's tricky.

I am getting a set of 2000/2001 Switches together so I can pre-make them right now, PM me if you're interested.
        Old 05-02-2011, 07:35 PM

just made an order for cool whites, will post pics when completed, thanks again SeedyROM as this always drove me insane
        Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
        Link for those? Are they just a 5 smd the same style? Thanks

Looks great man, I was very curious how it would come out on a 2000/2001 style gauge. But you said you used different bulbs.. Hmmm I may have to try it myself when mine get here.

The Window switches are LED's. All use a 3mm water clear except the master switch. The master uses 5 very, very tiny SMD LED's. None of these LED's are a simple replacement, but especially not the Master switch, it's tricky.

I am getting a set of 2000/2001 Switches together so I can pre-make them right now, PM me if you're interested.
        No its still just one smd, maybe I worded it funny. They are the NeoHP series off of superbrightleds.com. They are the 5mm ones. They make 2 lumen and 6 lumen, these are the 6 lumen. I believe thats what the "HP" is. Four on the gauges and two for the turn signals.

Thanks man, doesnt even touch any of your work though. I think it looks pretty good for my tastes lol. Its not as dull and weak looking in person, they look like a vibrant electric blue. The needles are also more distinct/brighter. The only thing that bothers me is the redline, its somewhat more noticeable that what it looks in picture, but its clearly less bright and almost gone. Like I said these camera phone pictures suck.

Thats what I figured about the window switches. I remember finding a write up a while back on cardomain (it might have been irish44?), and he was soldering in some custom LEDs. Anyways it looked beyond my skill level so I disregarded it. Stay in touch with the window switches, if you would want to produce some sets for sale I would be interested.

Last edited by MAXXED_816; 05-02-2011 at 08:11 PM.
        Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM
        Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi guys. It's been a while since I've posted on the org.

I can confirm that the front window switches are a pita but can be done. If you don't have the right soldering equipment don't even attempt it.
        I must have messed up on the back seat switches and they died. I need to figure out where I went wrong with the resister.

I went on a blue lighting tangent several years ago. I did everything I could, even the the security led. I managed to catch it blinking...

I could never get the cluster right so I went back to stock but I just ordered the bulbs to do it in cool white & blue for the acc. It looks like they've made some improvements. Thank you for posting this SeedyROM!

Last edited by MaximaMan77; 05-08-2011 at 05:36 PM.
        Old 05-03-2011, 08:00 PM

Very clean and subtle look, I just might place my order tonight.
        Old 05-03-2011, 08:49 PM
        RR5

I almost want to bet using hot glue to evenly diffuse the light from these leds might help with the hot spotting.
        Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 PM
        Toolie

Originally Posted by UGAd13
        You got it. You just need to overlay the display with red first to make white, then you can overlay the blue.

ya... it's called purple

Last edited by knight_yyz; 05-03-2011 at 08:58 PM.
        Old 05-03-2011, 09:01 PM
        Toolie

on a 5.5 the window switches use 0805 smt's

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PCS-0805-SMT...item563161e61d

You have to mark the polarity on the circuit board, then desolder the old smt and solder in the new one. And the front passenger is also smt's, the backs can use leds or smd's

Last edited by knight_yyz; 05-03-2011 at 09:04 PM.
        Old 05-03-2011, 09:55 PM

hey guys im trying to get leds for my gauge cluster. How many would i need to get. just for the main gauges. and would the T10 5LED from http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...nk-lights.html Would they fit?
        Old 05-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mayur914
        hey guys im trying to get leds for my gauge cluster. How many would i need to get. just for the main gauges. and would the T10 5LED from http://forums.maxima.org/general-max...nk-lights.html Would they fit?
        Tyutyunnik in that thread has some great SMDs (using them on my interior lights) but I haven't the slightest idea about what the 96 I30 gauges are like. I'd suspect they are different so if no one in this thread knows, you might ask in that sub-forum.
        Old 05-03-2011, 10:14 PM

well it's a 96 i30. same as the maxima. i saw the video of how to remove the gauge and i thought i saw 4 places for the lights to go. It had a red twist lock for the light but im not sure which one fits and how big the lights can go.
        Old 05-04-2011, 06:10 AM
        "I'm just sayin'..."

well it's a 96 i30. same as the maxima. i saw the video of how to remove the gauge and i thought i saw 4 places for the lights to go. It had a red twist lock for the light but im not sure which one fits and how big the lights can go.

It's a little aggravating that you're asking this question in this thread. You're muddying the information for those wanting to find a specific write-up/review thread. You're not even in the right forum. Our cars have quite a few differences. I did a quick little search and found a few threads in the 4th gen that answer your questions. Try this one. Post #38 even has an active link for the cluster bulbs. Good luck.
        Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by RR5
        I almost want to bet using hot glue to evenly diffuse the light from these leds might help with the hot spotting.
        Yes it will somewhat but not even close to how much is necessary.

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
        ya... it's called purple
        Well done

Originally Posted by knight_yyz
        on a 5.5 the window switches use 0805 smt's

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-PCS-0805-SMT...item563161e61d

You have to mark the polarity on the circuit board, then desolder the old smt and solder in the new one. And the front passenger is also smt's, the backs can use leds or smd's
        Thanks for that info Ray, I didn't know what size those bad boys were, what colours do you have laying around? PM me

Originally Posted by nelledge
        It's a little aggravating that you're asking this question in this thread. You're muddying the information for those wanting to find a specific write-up/review thread. You're not even in the right forum. Our cars have quite a few differences. I did a quick little search and found a few threads in the 4th gen that answer your questions. Try this one. Post #38 even has an active link for the cluster bulbs. Good luck.
        ^^^^ ^^^

The 95-99 uses a 194 bulb IIRC, which is a T10 wedge size, but that doesn't mean they will fit. I"m actually willing to be large money that they won't fit without boring the circuit board.

Back on topic please.
        Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM
        RR5

Holy crap, what part of priority mail is not clear to the post office.

Your item was processed through and left our FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003 facility on May 04, 2011 at 9:29 am
        I got work soon and was really looking forward to getting them installed today. Ugh!
        Old 05-04-2011, 01:51 PM

To the guys complaining about shipping, please shush, you have it SOOO easy in the states.
        We Canadians wait weeks to months for our stuff. I ordered some Lights out of south NY and they took 3 weeks to get here!

Enough OT from me
        Old 05-04-2011, 06:00 PM

Thanks for that info Ray, I didn't know what size those bad boys were, what colours do you have laying around? PM me
        It took me a while to find where I bought mine from, it's been at least 5 yrs.
        These are the exact replacement I used. The dimensions of the leds in that ebay listing are different. You need a 3528 not a 0805. That and 2500 mcd is way to bright. With 5 of them in the drivers door I could see that as being quite distracting. I used my phone to take the pics... I assure they are even in intensity.

I need to pull the rears out to see what resistor I used, the leds were 3mm. Do you mind giving me a pointer on the resistor?

Last edited by MaximaMan77; 05-04-2011 at 06:34 PM.
        Old 05-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaMan77
        It took me a while to find where I bought mine from, it's been at least 5 yrs.
        These are the exact replacement I used. The dimensions of the leds in that ebay listing are different. You need a 3528 not a 0805. That and 2500 mcd is way to bright. With 5 of them in the drivers door I could see that as being quite distracting. I used my phone to take the pics... I assure they are even in intensity.

I need to pull the rears out to see what resistor I used, the leds were 3mm. Do you mind giving me a pointer on the resistor?
        Thanks for the info. I was always curious about the SMD's and resistors, if you need to add one to the SMD then it somewhat defeats the purpose...

As for the rest of them, the brightest you can go with a standard 1/4 watt LED is a 470 Ohm resistor, any less and the LED's will burn out quickly. I would recommend going with something a bit higher than 470 Ohm and purchasing a high quality Bright LED. That will ensure the lifespan of the LED without sacrificing brightness.

If you want it slightly dimmer you can get higher resistor values. Anything more than about 700 Ohms will get you into stock brightness or dimmer (assuming you're purchasing high-quality LEDs)

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 05-04-2011 at 07:11 PM.
        Old 05-04-2011, 11:21 PM
        Toolie

i used 0805's and had no problems
        Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info. I was always curious about the SMD's and resistors, if you need to add one to the SMD then it somewhat defeats the purpose...

As for the rest of them, the brightest you can go with a standard 1/4 watt LED is a 470 Ohm resistor, any less and the LED's will burn out quickly. I would recommend going with something a bit higher than 470 Ohm and purchasing a high quality Bright LED. That will ensure the lifespan of the LED without sacrificing brightness.

If you want it slightly dimmer you can get higher resistor values. Anything more than about 700 Ohms will get you into stock brightness or dimmer (assuming you're purchasing high-quality LEDs)
        Thanks for the info!!! I think the leds I got back then were pretty good I still have some left. When I get a chance I pull one of the back switches and see what went wrong.

I did the window switches back in 03 or 04. The resistors in the circuit boards are fine as the smd's I listed are the exact same replacements in every spec. They still look the same as they did when I put them in. I have a solder removing iron but do to the size of these things it was easier to use braid to suck up the solder. You need 7 to do both boards, 5 for the drivers side & 2 for passenger. If you just do one at a time it's easy to keep track of the orientation. I also took a high resolution pic of the circuit board to fall back on for reference.

As soon as I get the my order from SBL I'm going to do the cluster and ACC. When I'm done I'll post up some pics.
        Old 05-05-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaMan77
        Thanks for the info!!! I think the leds I got back then were pretty good I still have some left. When I get a chance I pull one of the back switches and see what went wrong.

I did the window switches back in 03 or 04. The resistors in the circuit boards are fine as the smd's I listed are the exact same replacements in every spec. They still look the same as they did when I put them in. I have a solder removing iron but do to the size of these things it was easier to use braid to suck up the solder. You need 7 to do both boards, 5 for the drivers side & 2 for passenger. If you just do one at a time it's easy to keep track of the orientation. I also took a high resolution pic of the circuit board to fall back on for reference.

As soon as I get the my order from SBL I'm going to do the cluster and ACC. When I'm done I'll post up some pics.
        I need to check that resistance (stock). And the 2000/2001 use a standard LED in the passenger window switch. Can someone post a picture of the passenger window switch, is it one circuit board for the unlock and window switch? The 2k,2k1 is two individual switches.
        Old 05-05-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
        HEY NELLEDGE WHAT ARE 4TH GEN HEADLIGHT BULB SIZE
        Old 05-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Wow, these lights are really, really small. For scale, that's not a silver dollar... that's a Dime.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 PM

I thought they were a little small too. I just put them in today and have yet another reason to enjoy these forums. Without these forums I am pretty sure I would be driving a beat down, oil-less, boring vehicle lol
        Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM

got the cool whites last night and just finished installing them, they look amazing even in the daylight with a sweatshirt blocking the sun, will post pics tonight, thanks again SeedyROM
        Old 05-06-2011, 12:04 PM

Wow, these lights are really, really small. For scale, that's not a silver dollar... that's a Dime.
        That's the first thing that popped into my head too.

BTW, what type of camera do you have? Your pics are amazing.

Quick Reply: Drop-in LED instrument cluster lighting for 5.5 owners. Finally found one that works!