5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How my maxima looks after a month of ownership :D

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:03 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by dr_rabias
And i'm going to use some scratch remover for a few scratches, clay bar and wax it next monday. the paint does need some love.
I'm not sure what scratch remover you have in mind. I have had excellent success with the following steps and I have a black Maxima.

1. Wash with some dish detergent (Dawn or the like). Helps to remove any wax residues.

2. Clay bar.

3. Fine cut polish. This will even out the clearcoat.

4. Deep shine polish.

5. Wax.

It has been so damn long since I have done any of this I couldn't tell you the exact products. I do know that most "scratch removers" simply just cover up the scratches. To effectively remove light to medium scratches you must smooth the clearcoat. For example, the Meguire's Scratch-X just fills in the scratches and it looks good in the beginning, but after a while it looks like poop.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jowo9
EXACTLY what I was thinking. There's something weird about that wheel/tire combo that still makes your car look like a monster truck. I've seen Progress drops before and they usually look better.
it may have something to do with the fact that it's only the front, maybe it will look better after i install the rears.

Originally Posted by alexx0108
most likely, i have to see my schedule at work, but i'll try

Originally Posted by foodmanry
I'm not sure what scratch remover you have in mind. I have had excellent success with the following steps and I have a black Maxima.

1. Wash with some dish detergent (Dawn or the like). Helps to remove any wax residues.

2. Clay bar.

3. Fine cut polish. This will even out the clearcoat.

4. Deep shine polish.

5. Wax.

It has been so damn long since I have done any of this I couldn't tell you the exact products. I do know that most "scratch removers" simply just cover up the scratches. To effectively remove light to medium scratches you must smooth the clearcoat. For example, the Meguire's Scratch-X just fills in the scratches and it looks good in the beginning, but after a while it looks like poop.
I'll look into that, and yeah i was going to use scratch x haha
Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

picking mine up tomorrow from the dealer... cant wait