5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Injen COLD air intake - modification

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 PM

Everyone worries about hydolocking. I had a cold air set up on my svt. Never once had any any problems with hydrolocking the engine. I had my svt thru 2004 to 2006. I live in south fl, not to mention the 2004 hurricane season was a busy one. If I remember correctly my set up was an aem. AEM had a one way valve set up available for purchase. I never bought one and I drove thru all sorts of deep water. If your at speed thru water you won't hydrolock. It's slow speed that was the concern. Drove that car like I stole it. Lol
Old 08-15-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by infiniti medic
Everyone worries about hydolocking. I had a cold air set up on my svt. Never once had any any problems with hydrolocking the engine. I had my svt thru 2004 to 2006. I live in south fl, not to mention the 2004 hurricane season was a busy one. If I remember correctly my set up was an aem. AEM had a one way valve set up available for purchase. I never bought one and I drove thru all sorts of deep water. If your at speed thru water you won't hydrolock. It's slow speed that was the concern. Drove that car like I stole it. Lol
You just got lucky.....2 yrs only Huh? Let me guess! That SVT was eventually wrecked? Or some kind of mishap?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:46 AM

No sir, I sold it with 39 thousand mls roughly and bought an 06 charger. That was a really nice car. Unfortunately had to get rid of her when my wife got laid off and the department I worked for cut out our o.t. Oh well my house comes first, and that my friend is how that cookie crumbled.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by infiniti medic
No sir, I sold it with 39 thousand mls roughly and bought an 06 charger. That was a really nice car. Unfortunately had to get rid of her when my wife got laid off and the department I worked for cut out our o.t. Oh well my house comes first, and that my friend is how that cookie crumbled.
Good mature decision....It sucks living and sleeping in a car! Don't live on OT....save during OT and buy what you want after OT!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

If you are really dead set in trying this then go to the venting section of your hardware store and get some real ducting parts. Dont hack a bucket.

IMO you're better off getting a 90 and a straight to relocate the filter in the fender well.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:48 AM

Alright, I gave this a little more thought and the previous design isn’t good as few of you pointed it out. Water and debris will be sucked in this opening and the filter will end up wet which isn’t good…

Instead of cutting the shield and try to attach some sort of bucket around it, I’m going to build a box that attaches directly on the intake tubing, and surrounds the intake. From there, I’ll cut a hole on the side of the box and attach an elbow that will draw in air from the bottom of the car. I will also drill small holes on the bottom of the box so any water drawn in will be able to drip out of the air box. Finally, I’ll wrap that air box with insulation tape to keep it cold. Now I need to find some lightweight material, otherwise I may have to fasten it somehow. I don’t know how long the injen bracket would be able to support all that weight otherwise…

Old 08-17-2011, 07:55 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Be careful not to design in a negative venturi effect. I know it's just a sketch, but keep that in consideration when you're designing the modification.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM

I personally feel you will hinder performance more by doing what you have planned.

I don't know why you're so stuck on using/modding the Injen. If you really want to keep it, keep it, don'tchange it.
If you want to improve performance ditch the injen. This isn't rocket science, I really think you need to let this idea go.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gizm0
Alright, I gave this a little more thought and the previous design isn’t good as few of you pointed it out. Water and debris will be sucked in this opening and the filter will end up wet which isn’t good…

Instead of cutting the shield and try to attach some sort of bucket around it, I’m going to build a box that attaches directly on the intake tubing, and surrounds the intake. From there, I’ll cut a hole on the side of the box and attach an elbow that will draw in air from the bottom of the car. I will also drill small holes on the bottom of the box so any water drawn in will be able to drip out of the air box. Finally, I’ll wrap that air box with insulation tape to keep it cold. Now I need to find some lightweight material, otherwise I may have to fasten it somehow. I don’t know how long the injen bracket would be able to support all that weight otherwise…

Attach a naca duct to the bottom and it looks like it might work
Old 08-18-2011, 08:37 PM

This thread reminds me of: http://forums.maxima.org/infiniti-i3...ir-intake.html

My old ghetto setup:

I was gonna put a furnace filter on the inside of the shroud, that would have worked great... but I never got around to it. Now I have another homemade intake, but it's a short ram/warm-air.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:15 AM

Long a$$ intakes don't make power! They increase intake tract resistance! That's why the Oem is a SRI enclosed in an airbox!
Old 08-19-2011, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Long a$$ intakes don't make power! They increase intake tract resistance! That's why the Oem is a SRI enclosed in an airbox!

Right on, so there's a balance to be struck between having the right length of intake, and getting the right temperature of air.

My previous ghetto mod was on the long side but it for sure got cold air in abundance. The new setup is dramatically shorter, but I think it gets a lotta warm/hot air that's emanating from the block/tranny/coolant hoses.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 AM

I think I have a great idea how to flow more air to our intakes, but i need somebody who can do a photoshop this right because mine suck, here is the link for the air vent duct
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...item5d2f288f0b
Old 08-22-2011, 05:20 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-UP...item35b2047eb0

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-04...item2566cbfb36
Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 AM

Liking it...I am thinking about this.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:59 AM

The bumper inlet does look interesting. It would be alot easier to cut plastic than it would be to cut and mod the hood for a naca duct.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM

I think I will buy it from ebay but can somebody still do the photoshop maybe better idea where can exactly be the best position on our front bumper, thanks everybody.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM

Yep, Good Stuff
Old 08-22-2011, 11:05 PM

-WORK IN PROGRESS. here is my artistic photoshop lol. i resized it way to small and unable to enlarge it again. But enough for you to get the idea. In the red it says "Black sarrounding are aluminum heat block offs w/ home water heater wrap on both sides. simular to a ice box". still debating if i should cover over the filter. There will be a air diverter in front of the battery deviding air into the filter chamber. THIS IS NOT A 6th GEN becuase of the battery position(headlight is a dead give away lol) i relocated it side ways like that for this purpose. kinda lik what Tunermax3000 was saying. so you can say the setup is somewhat like a 6 gen stillen cold air intake if im not mistaken except theres no duckbill. Or weapon R's/common short ram. Even without heat block offs right now im still getting cold air becuase I took off the weather strip that sits between the hood and headlight resulting in air flowing between it, yet im still not satisfied becuase if the car is not in motion it will eventually suck in heat from the engine. My goal is to keep my ram AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE while able to incoporate cold air into the filter.
-I could have drilled a 3.25" hole and routed down to the bumper below the headlight but heck once i decide to sell or change my intake there'll be a unattrative hole sitting there :O . And like i said i wanted to keep the ram as short as possible.
-Thought i give a sneek peek since injen intake mods in still thread'ing, I use to have injen CAI but thought its too long and sits behind the radiator. my setup consist of a 45degree angle 3" intercooler pipe cut in half, MAF, adaptor. I WILL POST MORE DETAILS WHEN FINISH

Last edited by vq_ryder; 08-22-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by sixteenXnine
This thread reminds me of: http://forums.maxima.org/infiniti-i3...ir-intake.html

My old ghetto setup:

I was gonna put a furnace filter on the inside of the shroud, that would have worked great... but I never got around to it. Now I have another homemade intake, but it's a short ram/warm-air.
Theres a reason why most brand name air intake have smooth bends and interior surface. I was never really a fan of the dryer exhuast tubes elbows or flex tubes, seems to cuase ALOT of drag and friction from the inside to the throttle body. with that the air dosnt flow smooth like a peacful river but rough like rapids. Just a theory i could be wrong
Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 AM

Hot air rises. Cold air falls. Making this "pocket" works, but you're not really getting the hottest air into the CAI, anyway, so what does it matter? As Rochester once said, try moving your car and air flow will occur.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by RobertColianni
Hot air rises. Cold air falls. Making this "pocket" works, but you're not really getting the hottest air into the CAI, anyway, so what does it matter? As Rochester once said, try moving your car and air flow will occur.
That sounds like something I would say about this topic...

...which, BTW, seems like a huge, swirling discussion of nonsense. You could argue that the Wright Brothers were probably told that, too. But then, they were engineering geniuses.

I would be lying if I said I never gave serious consideration to methods that would reduce the temperature of metered air. Then I bought Phenolic Spacers, and called it a day.