5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Belt, Pulley, Alternator issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:04 PM

Belt, Pulley, Alternator issue

Hello and thanks in advance. I recently installed a new alternator on my 2000 Max but have ran into some issues putting everything back the way they were. My main problem is that the serp belt won't fit. When connected from the Power Steering pulley, the belt is about 1 inch away from fitting onto the AC Compressor pulley. I've tried loosening/tightening the adjuster bolt and it still just won't reach.

I believe the problem lies with the adjustment of the Idler pulley and how I placed the new alternator in. When I was taking out the old alternator I removed the Idler pulley because I thought it would help in getting out the long bolt that is attached to the square nut. I think the position of the square nut may be effecting the Idler pulley somehow but I have tried moving it in different directions and still the idler pulley remains static.

Hope these photos help.

http://forums.maxima.org/album.php?albumid=5754

Last edited by Bronzie2K; 11-10-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM

If you slide the idler pulley up from the actual pulley and not the top adjustment, you should have some slack to put the belt on. I have to do some thing similar later on today, changing my crank pulley.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Bronzie2K
My main problem is that the serp belt won't fit. When connected from the Power Steering pulley, the belt is about 1 inch away from fitting onto the AC Compressor pulley.
The serpintine belt does not go on the power steering pump, it has its own, separate belt. I'm guessing that you are referring to either the alternator or the idler pulley.

Whichever it may be, follow 03VQMAX's advice.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
If you slide the idler pulley up from the actual pulley and not the top adjustment, you should have some slack to put the belt on. I have to do some thing similar later on today, changing my crank pulley.
How exactly do you slide it up. If I could do that the belt would fit but the Idler pulley isn't moving at all. I can fit the belt around the other 3 pulleys (alt, ac, ps) only with the idler pulley removed as in the pic below.

Does the square nut on the alternator effect how the Idler pulley is adjusted in anyway?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The serpintine belt does not go on the power steering pump, it has its own, separate belt. I'm guessing that you are referring to either the alternator or the idler pulley.

Whichever it may be, follow 03VQMAX's advice.
I know they are separate, but the OP isn't clear enough.

How exactly do you slide it up. If I could do that the belt would fit but the Idler pulley isn't moving at all. I can fit the belt around the other 3 pulleys (alt, ac, ps) only with the idler pulley removed as in the pic below.

Does the square nut on the alternator effect how the Idler pulley is adjusted in anyway?
The idler pulley slides up and down, it might be jammed, if not, pop the bolt in a little then slide it.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Originally Posted by 03VQMAX
I know they are separate, but the OP isn't clear enough.

My comment was intended for the OP. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was aiming it at you.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:46 PM

To get the idler pulley to move, you have to loosen the nut in the center of the pulley. Then you use the other bolt-like piece on the top to move the pulley up or down as needed. Don't forget to re-tighten the nut on the pulley when you are finished.

The square bolt on the alternator is not touched when you are tensioning the belt.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. I tried what you guys said and it worked. I think the bolt was jammed because I was tightening and loosening the tensioner before and nothing changed. I went back and looked at how the assembly of the idler pulley and tensioner worked and what you said made perfect sense.