5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

water on drivers side floor? need tips

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM

water on drivers side floor? need tips

my 2002 maxima likes to get water under the drivers side mat... over time it gotten worse from a tiny wet spot to were i put my finger in it you can see the water come out of the carpet...

cant be moisture to be that much water
isnt coolant
hasnet rained where i lived in a week nor i havent washed my car in a week
doesnt smell old or like mold

any tips to figure it out would be great
Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM

You said it hasn't rained and you haven't washed the car so that would rule out water from outside getting in as well as the drainage tubes from the upper windshield and sunroof drain tubes. Which leaves me with just one area that might be the cause which is the internal climate control box which has a evap coil inside of it that might be icing up and then melt once the is turned off over night. Is the carpet wet down the gas pedal side and across the floor area? if so I might be right about the climate control unit, when did you change the internal Cabin air filter last? it may be all jammed up and the unit is not breathing correctly. The evap coil is in the white container box of the climate control unit I have posted a pic of this unit which is direct behind the center display part of the dash.

You can see the evap coil in the lower right interior as well as the drainage tubes which go through the firewall to the engine bay and out onto the ground

It connects directly to the camber that hold the Cabin air filter and the blower motor which is the black unit in the pic below on the passenger side foot well.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 11-13-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:51 AM

^^ yea ill look into that... i havent changed my incabin air filter since i got the car 3 years ago lol
Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Wow 3 years since the last cabin filter change, I change mine once a year. Being a smoker it sure help to keep the system fresh as well as helps the climate control unit to work more efficiently.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM

It is possible to have a clogged a/c drain line. We used to get those in from time to time at the dealer I used to work at. From past experiences, they normally will leak on the passenger side, not the drivers, since that's where most of the hvac stuff is located.

One thing I would do would be a water leak test. I used to do this alot myself at my former job. Using a water hose with no nozzle, turn on the water at a medium setting, and start with the windshield cowl area first. Let the water run gently down the windshield down into the cowl area. It helps to have someone in the car looking with a flashlight while you're doing this. Once you test this area, and you find no leaks, start to work your way upwards. Go around the window next to see if anything is leaking there. If nothing, then go over the sunroof, if equipped.

If water testing finds no leaks, then I would look at the a/c system, as I mentioned earlier. Drain lines can get clogged, mostly from mildew growing in the system. A good foaming coil cleaner would work well, and you can pick that up at any hardware store for 5-6 dollars a can. It probably wouldn't hurt to clean those coils up. The coil cleaner also helps clear up clogged lines. However, if they're majorly clogged up, then you might have to r & r, or at least remove and physically clean/blow out the lines with compressed air.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned

If its an automatic like i have there was a big rubber plug where the slave cylinder should be well mine was missing and every time i hit a puddle or it rained my driver side floor would get wet.you wont see this clearly unless you pull the panel from where the clutch pedal should be.the area is also hidden by a cardboard type knockout.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:38 PM

Has the car been wrecked? I had a problem with a water leak once with a car I used to own. Had a hell of a time tracking it down. After removing my front seats and carpet, I discovered that one of the seams of the framework in the car had a crack, and it wasn't re-welded. I siliconed the crack, put the car back together, and sold it to an auto wholesaler who took it to auction.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:39 AM

I was thinking it was a plug missing on the firewall as well, but you said it hasn't rained, nor have you washed the car in at least a week. It would have to be something that internally produces moisture or condensation. However, condensation shouldn't accumulate in the amounts you are referring to. I'm very interested to see the outcome of this one.