5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lightweight pulley for the DE-K

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:56 PM

Lightweight pulley for the DE-K

My crank pulley busted, since I have to replace it I figured I would look into an upgrade/lightened one.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I found a few but not sure if any one is better than another.

Personally for price I thought the OBX Racing one is not bad, I can get it off ebay.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM

I don't own one on the Max but I'd say get a lightened one from unorthodox instead of the underdrive in that link. I mean, since you have to replace it anyway...
Old 01-06-2012, 04:50 PM

dont matter
Old 01-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Only the convenience makes the difference
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM

hardly do any damn thing anyways lol
Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 PM

The UR pulley new is $231 direct. (Underdrive only. They stopped making the OEM diameter lightweight pulley.) It's a steep price for what you get out of it, which is a very small reclaimed gain down low. It feels like something for a few days, and then it's just the new normal.

As an upgrade... meh. But if you have to buy one anyway because your OEM crank is busted, then it's an opportunity. And if you can get a new one off eBay for $65, then it's a no brainer.

Buy the thing.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:57 PM
dot dot dot ...

I can sell you my OEM unit.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
hardly do any damn thing anyways lol
No argument there
Old 01-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I can sell you my OEM unit.
I just threw OEM unit in the trash. Maybe I should have kept it... dumb move on my part.

But I distinctly remember when I was holding the OEM pulley in one hand, and the UR pulley in the other. It was an amazing WTF kind of moment.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
The UR pulley new is $231 direct. (Underdrive only. They stopped making the OEM diameter lightweight pulley.) It's a steep price for what you get out of it, which is a very small reclaimed gain down low. It feels like something for a few days, and then it's just the new normal.

As an upgrade... meh. But if you have to buy one anyway because your OEM crank is busted, then it's an opportunity. And if you can get a new one off eBay for $65, then it's a no brainer.

Buy the thing.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester

Buy the thing.
I don't know why but i think it sucks they don't make it anymore. I wasn't at all planning to get one but it still seems like a loss somehow...
Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Don't get the obx one.

When my buddy was doing his 3.5 swap a few years ago, his car would never run properly. It sounded as if it had jumped timing. He re-timed the motor 3 times and it still did the same thing. To make a long story short, it turned out to be the obx pulley he bought on eBay. It was bent ever so slightly and there were a few slight things that were off when holding the pulley side by side with a stock one. He pulled an OEM one from the junk yard, intalled it, and the car ran like a bat out of hell.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 AM

At $231 dollars I find it a hard spend
Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 AM

How much does Nissan want for the OEM pulley brand new? That has to factor into the decision, right?

I tend to agree with Hustler's assessment on the cost/value proposition. And I bought a UR pulley brand new 3 years ago... just as a FYI for where my head is at.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:31 AM

There is one cheaper option for te 00-03.... Cosmo makes one that's $80 shipped, I had one n phantomvq had one... worked fine

Edit: mines wasn't installed but sold
Old 01-07-2012, 09:43 AM

Maybe you oughta contact ASP and see if they produce a UDP or OEM sized lightweight pulley......
Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 PM

This the one CMax?

NmexMax: How much you want?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
This the one CMax?

There is also the Ralco Pulley had one got to get another one, just make a offer he might accept it last time I got it for 70 dollars, car was totaled but tried same price and denied but might do it....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralco-RZ-Pul...item4832858045
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 PM

This the one CMax?

I guess that'll have to do! But this is ASP Racing:
http://autospecialties.com/import.html

I have my OEM 03 crank pulley which might be different....I gave them my 1990 Maxima pulley which they used to build a new pulley in their existing Nissan line.....Call and have them build you either a UDP or an OEM lightweight pulley! Let me know if you need my assistance they're in the Houston Surrounding area...Pm me!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Well after thinking about it and searching only two of the UDPs didn't have any negative reviews, the UR and DMS ones. I emailed DMS but never heard back and the last thing they posted on here was a group buy from 04.

So I found the UR one on ebay for $230 with free shipping and that also includes the two replacement belts. Much more than I planned on spending after initially finding the $65 one and the Cosmo racing one but those seemed to have some people who questioned the quality and I really need to be back on the road ASAP.

Thanks for all the help guys. CMax I would still be happy to donate my busted OEM to ASP if that would be helpful/wanted.

Last edited by ffcbairn; 01-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM

I've had the UR on since 02', never a problem except the slight belt size difference. I haven't had to replace the blets since then either, so I haven't had either off and don't remember which one it was, but the factory size belt will fit... oh wait I do remember it was the power steering one the belt you have to have is slightly smaller than "factory" and it was kinda hard to get on. I think I had to bump the motor to get it on. Nevertheless, it was a big difference in weight when you held the two. It was like Rochester mentioned, you tell the difference the first few days... then it becomes the norm. My instructions at the time stated to pull negative battery cable for 24hrs (2000 Max) to reset the computer adaptives, as it has to relearn (or helps it) relearn the lighter crank.

So how did it bust? I wouldn't think rust since you don't live in a northern, salty, area. Was it running when it went?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:06 PM

It busted by the rubber inside the pulley rotting away. Once it did that it began to spin like a coin does when it stops rolling and it threw the belts off. The power steering belt snapped while the regular belt just hopped off and didn't suffer too much damage.

That was why I ordered the UR pulley, it comes with the smaller replacement belts so it made it easier to make the decision.

Below you can see where the rubber has come off the pulley:

Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM

wow, well good luck with swap. it is a fairly easy job, the nut holding your orig. crank on is a bish, and IIRC turns "right" not left to loosen. i think i had to bump the motor with the break over bar on the nut to get it off, because the motor would just turn, with the crank, as i tried to loosen. also remember to torque the nut on the crank back down to spec. and again IIRC there is a groove the crank has to sit it so make sure you get it in that groove so it sits flush back up against the motor.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 AM

I found some old write up I saved about changing one, maybe it will help you...

More UDP information

I installed a prototype ASP underdrive and here are some instructions I wrote for the job along with the belt lengths I used on my 2K2. If I had it to do again it would be a piece of cake!

1. If a lift if not available jack car up sufficiently to perform work under car. Use jack stands for safety.

2. Remove front passenger wheel and tire.

3. Remove passenger side plastic splash guard for easy access to pulley.

4. Loosen 12 mm locking bolt on power steering adjuster. Head of bolt is facing toward inner fender well, perpendicular to adjuster bolt and just to the rear of power steering pulley. Access to this bolt is best from under car.

5. Loosen 14 mm power steering pump rotator bolt on engine side of pump. It is accessible behind rear precat with a swivel or series of swivels and long extension from center of vehicle. The oil line to the oil filter is directly in line with this bolt.

6. Turn 12 mm adjuster bolt clockwise, as in tightening, to loosen belt. This bolt faces towards the ground and is located on bottom of adjuster. Use a long extension and swivel for access.

7. Loosen 14 mm ac/alternator tensioner pulley bolt. This bolt is in the center of the pulley and holds the pulley to the tensioner bracket. With bolt loose tensioner pulley is free to slide up and down on bracket within the limits of the 14 mm adjuster hex bolt. Turn 14 mm adjuster bolt counter clockwise to loosen belt and clockwise to tighten.

8. With both tensioners in the loose belt position, remove both belts.

9. Use a pneumatic impact wrench remove 19 mm center bolt holding crank pulley to shaft. Pulley is free to remove.

10. Use motor oil to lubricate ASP underdrive crank pulley seal ring on pulley hub. This insures lubrication to the crank seal when installed. Install pulley by hand locating keyway groove to key. Insure that pulley bottoms out on the crank shaft.

11. Reinstall crank bolt and torque to 140 ft/lbs. Locktite 242 thread sealer is recommended on threads.

12. For ease of belt installation, adjust both belt tensioners to insure plenty of free play to belt. Install Gates belt part number K040292 (or equivalent) on power steering and K060408 on ac/alternator. Insure both belts are properly positioned in grooves in all pulleys.

(I'm guessing on this one, I just tighten it until it felt right to me. Might have to refer to shop manual for belt tightening)
13. Tighten belts until belt has 1/4" movement at center of belt. Do not over tighten. Remember the power steering pump 12 mm bolt turns counter clockwise, as in loosening, to tighten belt.

14. Reinstall splash guard and wheel.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Well after thinking about it and searching only two of the UDPs didn't have any negative reviews, the UR and DMS ones. I emailed DMS but never heard back and the last thing they posted on here was a group buy from 04.

So I found the UR one on ebay for $230 with free shipping and that also includes the two replacement belts. Much more than I planned on spending after initially finding the $65 one and the Cosmo racing one but those seemed to have some people who questioned the quality and I really need to be back on the road ASAP.

Thanks for all the help guys. CMax I would still be happy to donate my busted OEM to ASP if that would be helpful/wanted.
http://autospecialties.com/contact.html
Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Got my UDP. Just want to give an update. Got the pulley bolt off pretty easy using the breaker on floor/blip method. I have the UDP on and now is the part where I must loosen the power steering pump.

I HATE that 12mm bolt!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Got my UDP. Just want to give an update. Got the pulley bolt off pretty easy using the breaker on floor/blip method. I have the UDP on and now is the part where I must loosen the power steering pump.

I HATE that 12mm bolt!
Which one did you get OBXs, Ralco, or the unorthodox or some other one....
Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Which one did you get OBXs, Ralco, or the unorthodox or some other one....
The Unorthodox Racing one.

I just don't understand what I'm not getting about the power steering pump. I loosened both 12 mm ones and the 14mm one in the back. The two 12mm piece was so loose it came off and the 14mm is loosened to the point that it is not threaded just sitting in there. Still I can't move the whole thing, not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM

The lightweight pulley is way lighter than the stock. Most mechanics will tell you don't waste your money to get it because it doesn't do anything performance wise. But I mean if your OEM pulley is broken it would be cheaper to replace it with a lightweight pulley.

My boy said his lightweight pulley cracked and it was from ebay. The other name brands light stillen are pretty pricey. I got mine from cosmoracing. But good luck
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 PM

Question, has anyone who installed the shorter power steering belt done so in combination with the aftermarket power steering hose. I believe that hose is keeping me from rotating down the power steering pump enough to fit on the new short belt.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
The lightweight pulley is way lighter than the stock. Most mechanics will tell you don't waste your money to get it because it doesn't do anything performance wise. But I mean if your OEM pulley is broken it would be cheaper to replace it with a lightweight pulley.

My boy said his lightweight pulley cracked and it was from ebay. The other name brands light stillen are pretty pricey. I got mine from cosmoracing. But good luck
It helps with acceleration, as for power some say it makes it some say no to me it did, don't really get your post, so you didn't feel anything or you did......
Old 01-14-2012, 12:56 AM

Holding an OEM in on hand and an UDP or lightweight pulley in the other is the only thing I had to do too know I just took a load off my crank....and a lighter recip assy equals less friction more power....since I basically lighten the load the crank spins
Old 01-14-2012, 02:10 PM

FINISHED! So I ended up using the smaller replacement alternator/compressor belt and the original size power steering belt (using replacement I had bought and never used)

No idea how in the hell anyone has gotten that smaller belt on, I had the power steering pump all the way loosened and I still couldn't get the belt even halfway on the PSP pulley. The original size fit on nicely and is good and tight with the tensioner tightened down.

That was really what dragged the whole project out, I spent hours trying to get that smaller PS belt on before I gave up and used the original sized belt. The worst part was when I accidentally undid the PS tensioner too much and it came off, that was difficult to get back on.

My review: I agree it's not the biggest upgrade but it is definitely noticeable. If you put it in gear and let your foot off the clutch without giving it gas it doesn't struggle as much. Don't really notice as much driving but I am with CMax, all you have to do is hold one in each hand and you will know you made the right move. Even if you don't feel it driving, you've taken 5+ pounds right off the crank. That is 5 pounds per revolution of the engine, as long as durability is not a concern you can't argue with that.

Last edited by ffcbairn; 01-14-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:54 PM

I remember using the Oem belt on one of those as well cause it was too short, but I couldn't remember with belt cause it was installed almost 9 years ago....(same set still installed and still no cracked belt ribs!
Old 01-14-2012, 05:26 PM

Because of you guys I'm suddenly finding myself wanting a UDP smh. I'm already not getting a lightweight flywheel so 'some' crank weight loss is still desired, even if it's negligible.

Too bad I don't have the same excuse as the OP
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 AM

My crank pulley busted, since I have to replace it I figured I would look into an upgrade/lightened one.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I found a few but not sure if any one is better than another.

Personally for price I thought the OBX Racing one is not bad, I can get it off ebay.
If you need a UDP made for your VQ30DE-K, same as a VQ30DE, you can send in a stock pulley and they can make 1 or 30 of them.....here's the email reply they sent me:

I would need a stock pulley. We can make one or 30 whatever you need.

Performance Machine Works ( ASP )
DBA Auto Specialties
Po Box 2300
Conroe TX 77305
936-588-3117

sales@aspracing.com
Old 02-20-2012, 07:55 AM

Try these.

http://www.radioactivemotorsports.co...ize-_p_36.html

He sold me his Unorthodox Light weight pulley before he started making these.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had the UR for many years now with no problems.

Pulleys are one part where I'm very leery of inexpensive versions. If using something other than UR, I would make sure you've got a few people who have used them before to verify durability and performance.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
If you need a UDP made for your VQ30DE-K, same as a VQ30DE, you can send in a stock pulley and they can make 1 or 30 of them.....here's the email reply they sent me:

I would need a stock pulley. We can make one or 30 whatever you need.

Performance Machine Works ( ASP )
DBA Auto Specialties
Po Box 2300
Conroe TX 77305
936-588-3117

sales@aspracing.com
How much did they charge for this?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 PM

I been running the obx for about a year now, I like it so far