5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Best OEM muffler replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Best OEM muffler replacement?

Stupidly let my mechanic order parts for me the last time my muffler rusted out, and that one didn't last even 2 years.

Should I shell out extra bucks for one of those "performance" mufflers that are frequently talked about? Cattman, megan racing, etc. or is there a significantly cheaper option that will hold up?

mostly concerned about durability and price, not looking for a lot of noise
Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 PM

If you want it to last, the first step is buying a stainless steel setup, which pretty much means you'll be going into a bit louder aftermarket setup. If you do that and only that though, it shouldn't be so loud as to be annoying. Sucks that you live in the land of salt...
Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM

I just ordered a stainless SRS catback for less than the price of an oem muffler. We'll see how it turns out.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by spock
I just ordered a stainless SRS catback for less than the price of an oem muffler. We'll see how it turns out.
Yeah you should check those out, not bad in the price range and looks nice...
Old 03-25-2012, 08:31 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
Yeah you should check those out, not bad in the price range and looks nice...
They don't just look nice, they sound nice. I mean really nice. I bought the SRS Type-RE after a recommendation and sound clip(most video clips suck for audio) from BobPezz. At 300 shipped, I thought "What do I have to lose?" It is one of the best sounding catbacks I have heard on a Maxima. Hands down. It even sounds better than the Cattman 2.5". I still can't believe it when track veterans compliment how good it sounds. The best is when the Z and G guys wanna look under the hood. It has no rasp and burbles like a V8. It fits beautifully. The only downfall is that you will have exhaust drone at highway speeds(that's around 75-80 down here though). Some say it's not bad, but I listen to music loud every time I cruise above 65 for long distances just to not hear it. It's a trade-off I can live with for the benefit of idle/low speed sound and larger diameter tubing.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:35 AM

Careful, you're going to get spock all nervous and excited. Maybe he'll weigh back in here with feedback after the install.

/in
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
They don't just look nice, they sound nice. I mean really nice. I bought the SRS Type-RE after a recommendation and sound clip(most video clips suck for audio) from BobPezz. At 300 shipped, I thought "What do I have to lose?" It is one of the best sounding catbacks I have heard on a Maxima. Hands down. It even sounds better than the Cattman 2.5". I still can't believe it when track veterans compliment how good it sounds. The best is when the Z and G guys wanna look under the hood. It has no rasp and burbles like a V8. It fits beautifully. The only downfall is that you will have exhaust drone at highway speeds(that's around 75-80 down here though). Some say it's not bad, but I listen to music loud every time I cruise above 65 for long distances just to not hear it. It's a trade-off I can live with for the benefit of idle/low speed sound and larger diameter tubing.
I'm not sure what OE repacement exhaust your mechanic used cause you never mentioned a brand....There's Bosal that has an OE replacement system. I would go that route and buy some Duplicolor 500/1200 degree engine paint (aerosol) and spray down the entire exhaust or muffler and see how long it last! I sprayed this paint on some mild steel headers and it never peeled nor flaked off! I also would like too state that going to a performance exhaust system does take away some of the quietness you're use too with the quiet OEM muffler! You can always go with the SRS and invest in a longer 4" round or 6" round resonator!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Careful, you're going to get spock all nervous and excited. Maybe he'll weigh back in here with feedback after the install.

/in
It can be quite a moment when trying to decide!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:52 AM

It's been 1yr on the car for the SR*S, went through winter with sand/salt, no complaints, NO RUST! Yes it drones, but probably no worse than others. IMHO, the drone sounds as nice as the exhaust note! I DON'T listen to music loud, since I like hearing the 'Purr' of the exhaust in the background.
BTW; You can mention SR*S makes a Catback for 350Z's. In fact it was good reports I read on the SR*S Z exhaust that convinced me to try it. From what I hear about the G forums, those guys heads are too stuck up their butts to deserve an SR*S. They're more interested in bragging rights! So I say; Let them pay $1400 for an HKS exhaust, not so different from an SR*S copy for 1/3 the price. Brag all you want smart-guy, I've got extra $$$ in my pocket!
Old 03-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Depends on your tolerance for "noise" and other goals for the car. Any muffler designed to improve exhaust flow will see some increase in volume and likely have a drone. If all your doing is throwing on a muffler and no other exhaust mods, it's essentially only for looks and sound, nothing else, these cars don't gain much from a muffler/axle back only. If you want a cheap OEM replacement, there are some on eBay for under $100. Can't speak to the rust resistance on those though.

EDIT - looked through my eBay history and the OEM replacement axle back I bought was $59.99 shipped, pretty good fitment too.

Last edited by Puppetmaster; 03-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:43 AM

so why not just replace with another oem muffler? whats wrong with the OEM SS muffler?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
so why not just replace with another oem muffler? whats wrong with the OEM SS muffler?
High price
Poor sound
Cheap tips
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM

High price
Poor sound
Cheap tips
well about a year ago I had to replace the "replacement OEM style" muffler that the previous owner put on the car due to completely rusting and literally falling out of the car... I found an OEM muffler from a 01 maxima in JK with the single oval tip that covers both outlets and I paid only $10 for it... took it to my local muffler shop and they end up putting a new pipe from the muffler to the b-pipe for $30 so total I spend $40 on my oem muffler that is SS and will outlast all the junk that's being sold out there as an "oem replacement"... also I had the assumption that the oem muffler was preferred due to the variable sound capabilities of it???
Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 AM

Could someone please post a link to where the SRS catback can be purchased?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 AM

also I had the assumption that the oem muffler was preferred due to the variable sound capabilities of it???
IDK about the 5.0 gen, but the 5.5 gen muffler used only one of the tips until the pressure opened up an internal baffle and both tips were used with a slight increase in noise. The muffler design was one of Nissan's marketing points about the Maxima.

However, to say preferred is a personal assessment. You replaced your 5.0 gen muffler with another 5.0 gen muffler from a junkyard, and you're happy with it. Your problem was solved in accordance to your values, in that you spent minimal dollars on a functioning OEM muffler that's quiet and unattractive (IMO).

But it's not an upgrade. The point of pride here is in your cost savings, not the actual part itself. That's nothing to write home about.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-26-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by dainiac
Could someone please post a link to where the SRS catback can be purchased?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAXIMA-CATBA...item3361c337e9
Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Could you post a video of the sound,( on highway or just on take-off). I'm really interested in getting one. My muffler's got a rusted hole in the back and it makes a nice deep sound which I like, but my family can't stand it. I want a muffler that will give a nice sound but not "make a huge racket" like my current one, and I think this might be perfect.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM

I wish somebody near me can get one so I hear it in person to see how it sounds, and do any of you guys with the SR-S running headers...and got Vids.....
Old 03-26-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima4Life1409
Could you post a video of the sound,( on highway or just on take-off). I'm really interested in getting one. My muffler's got a rusted hole in the back and it makes a nice deep sound which I like, but my family can't stand it. I want a muffler that will give a nice sound but not "make a huge racket" like my current one, and I think this might be perfect.
I am also eager to see how loud $400 can be...
Old 03-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Banned

youtube.com maybe????

video quality sucks -

srs, test pipe, CAI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNxgvcgjors

video quality good -
2002 Nissan maxima SE 6spd OBX Headers, SR*S exhaust, Berk Intake, NWP spacers and BOP plate + other mods

outside
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sluli7SN3rQ

in cabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6rb2pv2FLw

0-60 in cabin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgVHwkCEoUo

Last edited by J2FRESH; 03-26-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM

What makes you think the OEM muffler is SS by the way? It appeared to be aluminized steel to me....
Old 03-26-2012, 01:05 PM

IDK about the 5.0 gen, but the 5.5 gen muffler used only one of the tips until the pressure opened up an internal baffle and both tips were used with a slight increase in noise. The muffler design was one of Nissan's marketing points about the Maxima.

However, to say preferred is a personal assessment. You replaced your 5.0 gen muffler with another 5.0 gen muffler from a junkyard, and you're happy with it. Your problem was solved in accordance to your values, in that you spent minimal dollars on a functioning OEM muffler that's quiet and unattractive (IMO).

But it's not an upgrade. The point of pride here is in your cost savings, not the actual part itself. That's nothing to write home about.
The mufflers are both the same except for the tips covers.....It's a varible flow muffler (trick) keeps your exhaust gas velocity up and torque up as well!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
What makes you think the OEM muffler is SS by the way? It appeared to be aluminized steel to me....
I'm fairly certain the factory one is SS. It lasted 11 years on my Maxima with PA's winters.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 PM

nvm

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 03-26-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

BobPezz has an audio clip in one of the other exhaust threads. I can record something later in the week, but I'm prepping for an exam at the moment. See if you can get Bob to post it in here.

The product of reference can be had for about 300 shipped.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:49 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by J2FRESH
youtube.com maybe????

video quality sucks -

srs, test pipe, CAI...
[youtubevideos]...
Is this the single tip or the dual tip Type RE? I ask because your video doesn't sound anything like my exhaust. The single tip muffler SRS system will have different acoustic properties. For clarification purposes, I reviewed the Type RE, as well as BobPezz.

Bob has the most accurate recording. It sounds almost exactly like mine does even though he's 3.0 and I'm 3.5.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
I'm fairly certain the factory one is SS. It lasted 11 years on my Maxima with PA's winters.
I can say for sure that my oem muffler is not SS. Mine has lasted through 10 Canadian winters, but it has now failed due to rust.
I will most definetly post my feelings on the SRS once installed and tested.
The type RE that I ordered is dual tip. Single water melon launcher would look hidious on my I35.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:42 PM

All the info you need is here; http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ml#post8249660

Last edited by BobPezz; 03-26-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM

I can say for sure that my oem muffler is not SS. Mine has lasted through 10 Canadian winters, but it has now failed due to rust.
I will most definetly post my feelings on the SRS once installed and tested.
The type RE that I ordered is dual tip. Single water melon launcher would look hidious on my I35.
I'm sure you'll be satisfied! The 'Bazooka Muffler' is NOT the one you want to get. Though in all fairness, my Brother bought the SR*S exhaust for his daughter's Accord ($200 shipped). It has a 'Launcher Muffler' but with the silencer installed it's the nicest sounding Honda I've heard! No farting or rasp, with a deep quiet tone.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 PM

damn you guys!

I just found a SR*S catback system for the 99....
Old 03-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
damn you guys!

I just found a SR*S catback system for the 99....
Yes it's available for 4gen too. http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-SRS-CATBACK-EXHAUST-SYSTEM-95-96-97-98-Maxima-/220641742730?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A1999|Model%3AMaxima&hash=item335f45cf 8a&vxp=mtr
Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM

Instead of a water melon launcher, it shall be known as a "Pezz Dispenser".
Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 AM

Instead of a water melon launcher, it shall be known as a "Pezz Dispenser".
I'm not flattered!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BobPezz
I appreciate the link, but it seems the links for the audio aren't working... It sends me to Freeze.com
Old 03-27-2012, 04:02 PM

I appreciate the link, but it seems the links for the audio aren't working... It sends me to Freeze.com
I used the link in your quote and tried them all. Worked fine, you might have something wrong at your end (hijacker malware).

Anyone else have a problem?

Last edited by BobPezz; 03-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
I'm not flattered!

Just poking a little fun, Bob. I certainly appreciate your help with my decision.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:00 AM

Just poking a little fun, Bob. I certainly appreciate your help with my decision.
Ditto, glad to help.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM

They're well made but, not out of T409 nor T304.....They rusted thru! My 1990 lasted 20 years and it wasn't SS neither! (your point?) The casting are aluminized inside and out unlike Dynomax who is only aluminized externally that's why they rust from the inside out! Next time you have a muffler roughly the same size as the OEM 5th/5.5 gen it heavy as hell compared to aftermarket mufflers....So the metal maybe thicker making it more resistant to corroding thru!