5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Multiple Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 AM

Multiple Issues

So My car recently hit 90k, everything has been fine and dandy til now. My car for some reason has been rapidly burning oil, mind you I have 5.5 gen auto, I though this was a more common issue on the 6 speeds, turns out I burned so much oil that my oil light and CEL came on.

I've had this car for the past 6-7 years, I've done everything right, I recently switched to synthetic oil the last 5-7K miles, I am starting to think this wasn't a very good idea, so I am gonna switch back to convential oil.

I took it to the mechanic today, he put more oil in it, and said to keep an eye on it, and that I need two wheel bearings as well, my power steering is leaking minorly along with a valve cover or thrust plate, If iam not mistaken which one he said. they are both very minor issues that he mentioned. I am replacing two wheel bearings tomorrow. I just don't know if i should keep dumping money into this car. Or worry that the oil problem will pop up again.

FML, I don't exactly have the money for a brand new car, nor do i want a car payment. this car has sentimental value to me, its the most expensive thing my father ever bought me, he is no longer here, passed away 11 months ago.

I'am just lost on what to do.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:09 AM

If you have an oil burning issue (a lot of VQ35's do), switch from synthetic back to dino oil. Also, some report using 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 helps reduce burning. Of course, this does not fix the problem, it's just a work around. Check your oil level on EVERY fill up. As long as you don't let it get low like that again it should be fine.

If it were me, I would not get rid of the car. I love the 5.5 gen maximas. HOWEVER: if you are burning a lot of oil, like more than 1 quart every 2 fill ups, you might start running into more serious issues like manifold cat failures. Engines aren't designed to burn oil like that.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:11 AM

Valve cover gaskets! Change them, and make sure you change out the plug seals too. That would be the first thing I do before I think about getting rid of it completely. Oil burning can sometimes be a bad omen, but there are plenty of cases where oil burning turns out to be something simple and not very costly.

Don't give up too quickly mate. I can understand that oil burning can be disconcerting, but it won't hurt to put in a little time and money to see if you can get it figured out.

-Nathan
Old 05-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Oil burning is a common issue on the 02-03. Change the wheel bearings and leave the rest. Not major issues really. If you do not like to keep adding oil just sell your car and get another one.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
Valve cover gaskets! Change them, and make sure you change out the plug seals too. That would be the first thing I do before I think about getting rid of it completely. Oil burning can sometimes be a bad omen, but there are plenty of cases where oil burning turns out to be something simple and not very costly.

Don't give up too quickly mate. I can understand that oil burning can be disconcerting, but it won't hurt to put in a little time and money to see if you can get it figured out.

-Nathan
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Banned

it is cheaper and more effective just to get a set of 6th gen valve covers and put them on because they changed the design on the 6th gen to prevent the tube issue
Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
it is cheaper and more effective just to get a set of 6th gen valve covers and put them on because they changed the design on the 6th gen to prevent the tube issue
This is pretty common knowledge in the 5th gen forum, but not so common the first time you see it, I suppose.

5.5 gen OEM valve covers run about $140/each, and are prone to failure. 6.0 gen OEM valve covers run about $45/each, and were redesigned because of the failures of the previous model. Don't worry about the different model years, they fit the 5.5 gen perfectly.

Gaskets come separately, although the PCV valve will come as a part of the rear VC purchase.

Read up on the proper application of gasket sealant, taking note of the appropriate way to add it to the corners. There's a technique.

Also, read up on the proper torque and bolt-sequence for the VC bolts. It's important that it get bolted down in the proper 2-pass technique, to the proper torque recommendations.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 PM
RR5

You'll want to remove the lower intake manifold collector and check the area around the valve cover. If you find built up grease and oil its time to drop on the 6th gen maxima valve cover+gasket.

Also check the intake valve timing control solenoid because that gasket can also cause oil to leak. I applied some copper-spray-a-gasket by Permatex and reinstalled. In addition, the camshaft position solenoids also seem to allow oil to leak.

After checking those items, look at the PCV hose which connects between both engine banks. Mine had a split so I just popped on two worm hose clamps. Seems fine until I get a new hose and you want the OEM hose. Don't get a cheapo hose cause it won't last.

Get the FSM from link > www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/ < and in EM-23 you'll see the procedure for applying the liquid gasket for the valve cover. Also there is the tightening procedure(s) for those various parts. Intake manifold lower collector, valve covers.

If you look around the intake collector, you'll see you can simply remove/unbolt electrical harness brackets so the collector can be fully removed with throttle body attached.