5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I need a new engine??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Bad *** Newb

I'm curious of what plugs are installed...
Old 06-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by NyMax03se
So after about 700$ spent on a Check Engine Light(P0300 random misfire) taking the car to different shops and trying different fixes i still end up with this blasted light. I can't get this fixed and i really don't want to sell the car. I took it to a mechanic a good buddy of mine refered me to and he said i need a new engine. Apparently there is oil getting into the spark plugs and thats what's causing my CEL light to come on. So he says to fix it to options 1. rebuild the motor or 2. Swap.. I come to you maxima guru's in hope of an answer or a reference to a mechanic in NYC that knows maxima's like the back of there hands. So i can get a definitive answer to this and either swap this sucker or fix it thank you.

ETC.

2003 maxima SE 6spd
121000mils

NVM...

Last edited by '02 Style; 06-07-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Have you verified a crack or could it be coming from below, like the rear valve cover?
from the smoke test i would've seen smoke coming from the rear or from under the intake manifold which i didn't. so i think the rear valve cover is good.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 AM

Where was the smoke pumped in?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:25 PM

I'm actually quite curious about this, because I am really feeling like my P0300 code and severe power loss is due to a leak of some sort. I don't have a smoke machine so I haven't smoke tested it yet. Next course of action is changing out my front pre-cat since the front bank is the one causing the problem.

I actually did change out my VIAS valve for the NWP Block Off Plate, and it did make a bit of difference. I didn't change the gasket, however, but spraying the area with B12/Brakleen does not cause a surge in idle, so I determined that it was not the source of any leak. I'm interested in seeing how you proceed with this. It may cause me to try something else out.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 PM

Last weekend I replaced my spark plugs (after 227,000 miles, original plugs according to my dad!) and found a good deal of oil in the #5 plug well. I replaced the rear valve cover. The local dealership sold me a 2006 cover. Are all 6th Gen covers identical? I'm assuming so as it seemed to fit perfectly.

I ask because I too am getting some smoke from the same location as the OP. Usually it's most noticeable after coming to a stop from highway speeds. Is this oil leaking from the rear valve cover onto the exhaust? I may have overtorqued the valve cover bolts, and I didn't use any RTV on the new gasket. Does this squish the rear gasket out of alignment, allowing the leak?
Old 06-16-2012, 10:42 AM

6th gen is cheaper and a better design that isn't prone to leaking like the 5th gen one.

You're luck you got a good dealer that knew that, most of the time you have to do your own research and find that out by yourself.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
6th gen is cheaper and a better design that isn't prone to leaking like the 5th gen one.

You're luck you got a good dealer that knew that, most of the time you have to do your own research and find that out by yourself.

The dealer didn't offer to, I asked for an '04 cover because I did the research. They didn't have one in stock but had an '06. I'm asking if all 6th gen vc's are identical because the parts lady didn't seem to think they were, AND I've only seen people mention the '04 cover (not '05/'06). I disagree and think they're probably the same but was just looking for some confirmation.

Anyway, would improperly torquing the bolts on the valve cover or UIM cause the smoke (oil leak) from under the intake manifold?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by JROD'02
The dealer didn't offer to, I asked for an '04 cover because I did the research. They didn't have one in stock but had an '06. I'm asking if all 6th gen vc's are identical because the parts lady didn't seem to think they were, AND I've only seen people mention the '04 cover (not '05/'06). I disagree and think they're probably the same but was just looking for some confirmation.

Anyway, would improperly torquing the bolts on the valve cover or UIM cause the smoke (oil leak) from under the intake manifold?
Ok I misunderstood your last post then.

I don't know the answer to the compatibility. I can tell you that you need to goober up the RTV silicone sealant all around that seal but expecially in the rear corners, mainly, the passenger side. It's prone to leaking.

Also it's VERY easy for hte gasket to get mis-alligned during install. So in short, yes, it's quite possible that you made a mistake or have compatibility issues causing a leak. So what you need to find out, is if it's leaking from there.

And if you didnt use RTV sealant at all, I'd say theres a VERY HIGH chance that it's leaking. And if it isn't now, it will be in due time.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:28 AM

I personally think you should have changed all your coil packs, spark plugs, V/c's and clean your fuel system and your problem should disappear.....Using Oem Nissan parts instead of Oem replacement crap! I'm sure you don't need an engine but performing a compression check should show you how healthy your engine is or isn't....GL!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 PM

Ok I misunderstood your last post then.

I don't know the answer to the compatibility. I can tell you that you need to goober up the RTV silicone sealant all around that seal but expecially in the rear corners, mainly, the passenger side. It's prone to leaking.

Also it's VERY easy for hte gasket to get mis-alligned during install. So in short, yes, it's quite possible that you made a mistake or have compatibility issues causing a leak. So what you need to find out, is if it's leaking from there.

And if you didnt use RTV sealant at all, I'd say theres a VERY HIGH chance that it's leaking. And if it isn't now, it will be in due time.
Well, I took the IM off again and pulled the plugs, removing the rear valve cover again. There was still a bit of oil in the #5 well. Interesting. I used a tube of RTV on the gasket so it stuck to the cover and was properly aligned and put some on the metal where the gasket rests on as well. I got it all back together, let it sit overnight, and took it to work.

Good news is the original leak (from rear on pax side corner, as you described) is fixed.
Bad news is it's now leaking from the drivers side rear corner. Is it just a matter of tightening the rear bolts equally and slightly harder than the front? This is starting to frustrate me.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:57 AM

There's 3 big things that can go wrong on this Valve Cover job:

1. Not cleaning the mating surfaces enough. this is hard to do properly, you HAVE to remove every bit of old silicone and gasket material. You need a clean/new surface for silicone or it won't seal.

2. Improper torquing sequence and/or improper torque

3. Misallignment of gasket during installation. It's simple for the gasket to drop out of place even with silicone in there holding it while you place it. If it's not alligned right, it will leak.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM

There's 3 big things that can go wrong on this Valve Cover job:

1. Not cleaning the mating surfaces enough. this is hard to do properly, you HAVE to remove every bit of old silicone and gasket material. You need a clean/new surface for silicone or it won't seal.

2. Improper torquing sequence and/or improper torque

3. Misallignment of gasket during installation. It's simple for the gasket to drop out of place even with silicone in there holding it while you place it. If it's not alligned right, it will leak.
Okay, thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure I cleaned it well enough, but didn't use the proper sequence in torquing the bolts. In all the walkthroughs I've seen (primarily Greg's http://forums.maxima.org/6th-generat...ement-diy.html), they didn't get as far as removing the rear valve cover, so I wasn't sure the order or torque specs. I've seen FSM EM-45 referenced, but the outline diagram is confusing, lacks the bolt sequence, and I think the torque figures differ from the specific instructions I just finally found on EM-39.

In short: Rear valve cover sequence:
6 2 4 8
9 10 (where 9 and 10 are the middle bolts along the sides)
5 1 3 7

First tighten bolts 1-10 to 9-26 in-lbs
Then retighten to 65 to 82 in-lbs

NOTE these are in IN-LBS not FT-LBS
Old 06-25-2012, 08:45 AM

SO I CHANGED THE VIAS STILL HAVE THE (P0300). IM DEFEINTLY BURNING MORE OIL THEN NORMAL FOR MY CAR I CAN EVEN HEAR and feel the misfire now.a soon as i turn on the its just mad smoke im puting a qaurt oil every 3-4 day. so im not spend
in anymore time or money on this engine. so im goin to do the swap but i dnt want to get the same problems with the oil getting past the rings. so i want to know if i can swap a newer motor from like an 04-07 . if i can do i need to change any sensors or anything to get it to fit and work with no CEL lights. i hav a 6spd and i want to keep it.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM

You can use the 04-06 motor, make it easier on yourself and try to get one from a car that already is a manual. I believe there is one sensor that is in a different location on those motors that are auto. otherwise I believe it's pretty much plug and play.

Curious, did you ever do a compression test? If so, what were the readings?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM

i didnt get it done again. but judging from the amount of smoke my car puts out when i start it and the shaking that i get from it. i believe what the mechanic said.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 AM

i didnt get it done again. but judging from the amount of smoke my car puts out when i start it and the shaking that i get from it. i believe what the mechanic said.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM

Old 06-25-2012, 12:39 PM

Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Bad *** Newb

That much oil? I think valve stem seals are leaking more than toasted rings on VQ35s.

Wait, you have over 200k on stock exhaust
Nvm /thread