5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fog Lights Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:01 PM

Fog Lights Question

I have a 2000 Maxima that didn't come with factory fog lights, but I would like to install a set. I have a couple of questions. Did the cars that didn't come with fog lights have the factory wiring installed anyway or will I have to run the wires? Do you have to remove much to install the lights, and I guess all the work is done from underneath the car.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:43 PM

The wires are there, already part of the wire harness. You will need the light switch stalk with the fog light on/off switch for the steering column, a relay (FR FOG) that goes under the hood by the power steering oil reservoir, as well as the lights themselves.

Since the lights mount in the lower bumper, you will be working on the ground. You may not have to jack the car up, but it would make the job easier if you did.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
The wires are there, already part of the wire harness. You will need the light switch stalk with the fog light on/off switch for the steering column, a relay (FR FOG) that goes under the hood by the power steering oil reservoir, as well as the lights themselves.

Since the lights mount in the lower bumper, you will be working on the ground. You may not have to jack the car up, but it would make the job easier if you did.
Thanks for the help, but I have a couple of other questions. Do you know if there's a place that sells just the parts I'll need, is it very difficult to install the light switch stalk (instructions would be great), and will I have to remove much underneath to install the lights (I guess that's all you have to do underneath the car is install the lights).
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41 AM

Nissan sells a fog light kit that includes all the pieces you will need. I don't think there is an aftermarket kit available, but someone might correct me on this.

Here is a link to a dealer that has OK prices. It has a photo of the kit and a link to the installation instructions that come with it. It's not that hard to install, even the light switch isn't that bad. The main challenge is getting access.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-...ml?cPath=1956&

To reduce costs, you could get the light switch and relay from a junk yard and buy aftermarket lights. But there have been many people who have bought aftermarket lights that have had fitment problems, aiming problems and quality problems.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Nissan sells a fog light kit that includes all the pieces you will need. I don't think there is an aftermarket kit available, but someone might correct me on this.

Here is a link to a dealer that has OK prices. It has a photo of the kit and a link to the installation instructions that come with it. It's not that hard to install, even the light switch isn't that bad. The main challenge is getting access.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-...ml?cPath=1956&

To reduce costs, you could get the light switch and relay from a junk yard and buy aftermarket lights. But there have been many people who have bought aftermarket lights that have had fitment problems, aiming problems and quality problems.
Thanks for the website. I looked it over and it doesn't appear to be difficult. The instructions were very helpful. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like the plastic piece that you remove on the top part of the steering column just pops off and the bottom piece has the 5 screws to remove. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Personally I would search the junk yard since there seems to be a lot of 2000-01 in there recently......Scrounge around and you'll probably find a junked Nissan Maxima with everything you need setting right there!!!! The connector on the lamp side are plentiful on 1995-2003...Let's say you decided to go aftermarket lamps (JcWhitney) all you do is splice and solder in a factory lamp harness connector, and you're PNP!!!
Here's some options that may save you a ton of $$$$:

http://www.certifit.com/c-5-fog-ligh...00&Make=NISSAN

http://www.jcwhitney.com/replacement...1681y2000g26j1

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php