5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

direct fuse box grounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

Is this what it's come to?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
O rly?

I have gone through 2 140amp main fuse on my boosted car. Blown a few fuses that was attached to the brake lights that actually turned out to be a bulb had shorted out and re-welded itself together, fuse saved massive repair. Blown the cig lighter once. Those 2 were on the DD.

Not only that i work at an autopart store you wanna know how many blown fuse issues i have seen daily? It's VERY common and also very relieving to know you have only blown a fuse and dont have a huge repair on your hands.

Now listen to what im saying, you have wired your car so that if there is a small short the safe guards in place to prevent small shorts turning into big problems you have bypassed. Small shorts and voltage spikes blow fuses, a voltage spike can come from....umm lets see.....oh you have an aftermarket radio, sub and amp, when you turn those things up and in the duration of whatever music you listen to its going to cause spikes in both amperage and voltage.
nothing u said would pop the alt fuse
i had a dodge intrepid with a bad voltage regulator, it was making crazy voltage/amperage
whenever i revved above 5k it popped the ecu fuse, not the alt fuse
i speak from experience
Old 12-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Aviation005
if the ground points dont help at all, why the *** is my guage cluster 2x as bright after adding them. why is my car more responsive??

thisss is why im making a big deal, master electrician or not, your WRONG

i cant explain it any simplar

i added each wire and test drove after each, each ground MADE A DIFFERENCE

once again idc if u do it for a living, i tested it and proved it works
your shiit was dirty. You cleaned it. that helped.

you were using a thin-ish stock wire. so you doubled up on it because you were too cheap to just buy a thicker one. That helped even tho it was not necessarily the only way to do it.

you deleted the fuse in the power line which reduced the resistance by some small amount (a few hundredths of an ohm?) so that increased current flow and voltage a tiny bit, at the expense of adding more than the equivalent amount of risk.

any numbskull can figure out "bigger/more is better" as far as electrical flow but you don't keep misunderstanding the actual concepts work, as far as how to find where you're losing voltage, or that being dirty doesn't make the "chassis a bad conductor", or that a connection between 2 things that just so happens to connect to a 3rd wire somewhere else doesn't actually use the 3rd wire as part of its electrical path b/c they are all going back to the same place (the battery).
Old 12-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i had a dodge intrepid with a bad voltage regulator, it was making crazy voltage/amperage
i speak from experience
you speak from a drop of experience in the bucket of life. just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it won't.

You're how old, 17? Do you have cancer yet? No. Will you someday? According to you "it's never happened to you before, and you speak from experience" therefore you must be immune to cancer as well...
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
I'll make this simple for you. Ready?

Your crappy lights were, to you, a baseline of performance. Doing what you did helped. But your "baseline performance" is what is known as SH!TTY GROUNDING!!! And that's POOR PERFORMANCE to the rest of us.

Now, your car is acting a lot better...so to you, that's a huge performance gain. But to us it's called NORMAL. Your grounding situation was sh!tty to begin with.

Welcome to normal.
was my 3rd gen temporarily faster than his VQ?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

c'mon guys...**** dyno never lies!

the guy gained mad powaaa!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Maverick4189
iPhones are hard to type on brother.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
you speak from a drop of experience in the bucket of life. just because it hasn't happened to you yet doesn't mean it won't.

You're how old, 17? Do you have cancer yet? No. Will you someday? According to you "it's never happened to you before, and you speak from experience" therefore you must be immune to cancer as well...
Ah, Confucius. Speaketh, sir, speaketh.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Another question do you honestly think we are just picking on you because you are new? that everybody on this forum has just come down on you INCLUDING the mods. That we were just waiting for you to come through the door and **** it we gonna azz rape his post.

We are trying to stop you from ruining your car. If you fry your ECU thinking you are the best and most resourceful electrician that's ever lived, its a +$2000 to get a new ecu and no you cannot run to the junkyard to get an ECU for any maxima 99 on up. You have to go to through the dealer and you have to get it reprogrammed.

So just listen, no grounding makes any maxima faster, just makes its electrical system a little bit more stable and that only really helps if you have sh1tty grounding to begin with, its just placebo that your feeling. Save yourself the trouble that its going to cause later on and take those wires off the positive side of the battery. Thats just asking for trouble.
wookiee rape

Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM

in all seriousness, is there a way to get this stickied for all the work wookie put in on the wiring/electrical diagrams n' stuff???

It basically is car electronics 101.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
Ah, Confucius. Speaketh, sir, speaketh.

actually one of my coworkers looks like that... he's from nepal, long hair, mustache/beard, mfkr looks like a straight up ninja/guru

and he facepalms teh aviator

Name:  0ssjk.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  15.5 KB
Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 PM

wookiee rape

Old 12-12-2012, 12:30 PM

I'll make this simple for you. Ready?

Your crappy lights were, to you, a baseline of performance. Doing what you did helped. But your "baseline performance" is what is known as SH!TTY GROUNDING!!! And that's POOR PERFORMANCE to the rest of us.

Now, your car is acting a lot better...so to you, that's a huge performance gain. But to us it's called NORMAL. Your grounding situation was sh!tty to begin with.

Welcome to normal.
hey jerk face, if you saw my other thread, you would have saw that i totally redid the factory ground points, inspected the wires, and grinded all paint away from the connections. so i had a totally stock electrical system. this is the CONTROL in my experiment

i then upgraded and saw performance increases. once again someone so quick to say your wrong nooo nooo.

i have put more thought into thisthan u think

to the guy with the wookie or whatever avatar, this is directed to you as well. i did have a stock electrical system before in prestine condition

Last edited by Aviation005; 12-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:31 PM

Old 12-12-2012, 12:34 PM

i then upgraded and saw performance increases. once again someone so quick to say your wrong nooo nooo.

Is your definition of a performance upgrade a brighter gauge cluster????
Old 12-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Yes...since they automatically provide suggestions for misspelled words and automatically capitalizes the first letter of each sentence after a period. Of course you have to enable those settings (by the way they are enabled by default so you must have turned them off if you don't have them enabled). Very difficult indeed...

I have an iPhone and do just fine by the way...
now you're starting to sound like "him"
Old 12-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by litch
no i determine that by how fast the speedometer goes up

the guage cluster is a very good indication of how your cars eelectrical is operating (on 5th gens at least)
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by litch
and faster shifts out of his RE4F04B.

my definition of a "performance upgrade" would be a 6spd HLSD swap.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM

and faster shifts out of his RE4F04B.

my definition of a "performance upgrade" would be a 6spd HLSD swap.

Thats what I was getting at.....

like everyone is saying, he just got a look at what normal looks like....

btw op... I own a V8 mustang... its my wifes car, its an automatic, if your +20 hp mufflerless mod really can make it beat my wifes car, I will put a cigar out on the end of my d*ck

Last edited by litch; 12-12-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

the guage cluster is a very good indication of how your cars eelectrical is operating (on 5th gens at least)
maybe you over-volted the gauge cluster and have altered the accuracy of the speedometer so it reads high

what's your running voltage anyways? Measured from a few different places, for consistency.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:43 PM

i speak from experience
Stop being so thick. Did you read where i said i blew my main fuse. THE MAIN. Stop trying man its pathetic. What you have done is dangerous that's all there is too. Take it off for your own sake. Disconnect those lines from the positive terminal of your battery.

I speak from A LOT more experience than you and i actually consider myself inexperienced. I have done a lot more than just an intake and some fcuked up wiring.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:44 PM

So if I go out on a patch of ice in my car, stomp on the gas, and the speedo goes crazy, I can safely say that my zero to sixty time is 0.5 seconds?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM

No its not. Cmon man just stop, PLEASE stop. Save yourself from further embarrassment.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM

How old are you? Like seriously how old are you?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

hey jerk face, if you saw my other thread, you would have saw that i totally redid the factory ground points, inspected the wires, and grinded all paint away from the connections. so i had a totally stock electrical system. this is the CONTROL in my experiment

to the guy with the wookie or whatever avatar, this is directed to you as well. i did have a stock electrical system before in prestine condition

yes i saw that...

try this..

since 2 is better than 1, 3 must be better than 2.

replace your 2 4GA wires from the battery to chassis, with 3 (yes 3) 16GA wires. Also reinforce your car's seatback cuz it's gonna be a wild ride

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 12-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM

Ok guys, this thread has been entertaining, no doubt. To all the experienced guys that have chimed in, thank you. I am looking to ground my car better, but wouldnt have known not to repeat what this poor fella has, besides the visual hack job haha.

So, in an effort to possibly salvage this joke of a thread, I'm going to ask: what would be the proper way to accomplish what the OP was trying to do? Buying one of the grounding kits in the for sale thread, and basically just making sure all connections are cleaned up properly?

Also, for those of us with aftermarket systems... I have two twelves with an 850w amp in the trunk, with a basic jvc head unit, nothing fancy. I'm assuming just a larger ground wire that's as short as possible would be the most I can do.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:49 PM

everyone on this forum is a ****
you have 6,088 points, this makes you GOD

just because my method is different and dumb, does it mean that is wrong and doesn't work

for $45 total, id say so
its now located below the batter drawing in cool air

some people are crazy to spend $200 on a CAI

you spent 45 bucks on dryer vent? Holy fcukballs the people over at Lowes must love you!
OMG! My sides HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

also "on 5th gens at least"? do the laws of electromagnetism apply differently to other cars?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:50 PM

This thread needs to be an example of how not to mod your car.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

this is the best way to "ground" a car

Old 12-12-2012, 12:54 PM

So, in other words, I should strap two 747 wings to my G upside down to gain maximum grounding?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Brl24
Ok guys, this thread has been entertaining, no doubt. To all the experienced guys that have chimed in, thank you. I am looking to ground my car better, but wouldnt have known not to repeat what this poor fella has, besides the visual hack job haha.

So, in an effort to possibly salvage this joke of a thread, I'm going to ask: what would be the proper way to accomplish what the OP was trying to do? Buying one of the grounding kits in the for sale thread, and basically just making sure all connections are cleaned up properly?

Also, for those of us with aftermarket systems... I have two twelves with an 850w amp in the trunk, with a basic jvc head unit, nothing fancy. I'm assuming just a larger ground wire that's as short as possible would be the most I can do.
The most you can do is add ground wires and add a capacitor to your system. If its a 3.5 i have heard that you can use the 140amp alternator(vs maxima 110amp) out of the +04 Quest.

I was having a voltage issue running my system on stock grounding, the adding extra chassis grounds pretty much cleared that up and they just came from ebay they were nothing special really. Just be wise bout your grounds, nothing needs to go to the alternator, or the positive terminal unless its an amp power wire.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:56 PM

thats a little more than $45....we might have a problem.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:57 PM

also "on 5th gens at least"? do the laws of electromagnetism apply differently to other cars?
no other cars do not have hotspots on the cluster to judge by. once again someone saying noooo noooo wrong, without any logic
also the cluster is usually already really bright on other cars which makes it hard as well

This thread needs to be an example of how not to mod your car.
Add this thread too http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...l-upgrade.html

Yes, Fire Department? I want to report a high speed Maxima in the highway being surround by fierce flames from the hood. It looks like the epic Maxima with the "Big 5 Electrical upgrade".
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
So, in other words, I should strap two 747 wings to my G upside down to gain maximum grounding?
and skirts, lad. Yeh cahn't fahr-get the skirts! </scotty>
Old 12-12-2012, 12:59 PM
dot dot dot ...

When I installed my ETL, my car was acting stupid. Wouldn't start and after it wouldn't start, it be dead. Turned out the grounds that you need to disconnect and reconnect weren't making contact because I didn't clean where the ETL was mounted very well at all. Cleaned the grounds, no problem.

Another time when I installed the SAFCII and WB with throttle position data, I would step on the throttle, and it would go into limp mode.

Added 2 grounding straps (small green wires) from the ECU to the chassis, in this case it was the metal grounding bracket connected to the ECU, same thing, problem went away.

Another time in my 4th gen, lights would always dim when on the brake and radio would die out. Replaced the battery grounds, (body/engine block) cleaned them extremely well and applied a new set negative wires, problem went away.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:01 PM

aye lad, ye fehrgot thae skirts are KILTs in thae homeland, yer car needs KILTs, an' propper bagpipin' music

Quick Reply: direct fuse box grounds