5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What do you think? (Exhaust related)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:58 PM

What do you think? (Exhaust related)

I currently have been fixing up my maxima to last me another couple years. I'm now on exhaust... So far I have gone the ebay route. I got a mandrel bent cat back setup...its basically a Greddy Evo replica. Straight through pipe, but it has a decent sized resonating chamber. I also have a Warpspeed custom test pipe. So from pre cats back is straight through exhaust. Sounds great at Idle......sounds AMAZING at WOT...like a 350z sound. But I get the droning around 2.5k rpms....under load. I know this is typical of a straight through muffler design but Im trying to make it better. I basically have two options....1# is to order a stock resonator pipe to replace my aftermarkets...but..if its like stock it will have those annoying flow limiting crimps in the pipe which appear to be pretty restrictive. #2 I go to a local mom and pop muffler shop and see if they can weld a big old resonator in the middle of my pipe. Benefit would be no restrictive piping, and I think it will kill or at least make the pesky drone tolerable.......any ideas...suggestions? OEM resonator pipes on ebay are 100ish shipped......

Last edited by 2kMaxim; 01-30-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:12 PM

I would go the route of having a muffler shop weld in a resonator. You can get a magnaflow resonator matched to the size of your exhaust and have a muffler shop weld it in for ya.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Yeah.....there's an OBX one online i can get for $45 shipped. Its a little fatter, and a tad shorter than the stock resonator...so i have to get under the car at some point and measure. Shop might give me an even better deal if i get the resonator from them as well. I wish I was the type that could just deal with noise...but I'm too damn picky..lol
Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
I wish I was the type that could just deal with noise...but I'm too damn picky..lol
Hmmmm. I think maybe you bought the wrong exhaust then. But since this is what youve got and you otherwise seem to like it, you definately want to get a significantly larger resonator to make a good, noticeable difference. Might want to take a look at Cmax's 6" hybrid resonator. Just as a reference. If you're thinking simply about something the size of the stock resonator, I suspect you will feel cheated and end up spending more to do it again.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:02 PM

I currently have been fixing up my maxima to last me another couple years. I'm now on exhaust... So far I have gone the ebay route. I got a mandrel bent cat back setup...its basically a Greddy Evo replica. Straight through pipe, but it has a decent sized resonating chamber. I also have a Warpspeed custom test pipe. So from pre cats back is straight through exhaust. Sounds great at Idle......sounds AMAZING at WOT...like a 350z sound. But I get the droning around 2.5k rpms....under load. I know this is typical of a straight through muffler design but Im trying to make it better. I basically have two options....1# is to order a stock resonator pipe to replace my aftermarkets...but..if its like stock it will have those annoying flow limiting crimps in the pipe which appear to be pretty restrictive. #2 I go to a local mom and pop muffler shop and see if they can weld a big old resonator in the middle of my pipe. Benefit would be no restrictive piping, and I think it will kill or at least make the pesky drone tolerable.......any ideas...suggestions? OEM resonator pipes on ebay are 100ish shipped......
Find a used first gen G35 sedan muffler and have an exhaust shop fab it up for you. It's 2 1/2" and will almost guaranteed get rid of the drone.

This is how I fixed the drone on my SRS setup. With a little help from my friends as John would say.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Find a used first gen G35 sedan muffler and have an exhaust shop fab it up for you. It's 2 1/2" and will almost guaranteed get rid of the drone.

This is how I fixed the drone on my SRS setup. With a little help from my friends as John would say.
You're saying i could have this fabbed into a resonator? Or you're saying replace my muffler with it.......Cause prior to this setup...I used the stock muffler with straight mid pipes..and it still sounded like poop without a resonator...
Old 01-31-2013, 06:28 PM

I had straight piped ti a magnaflow. Super bad drone. Put a big fat magnaflow resonator on it. Sounds amazing alamost no cabin noise at all plus its lifetime warranty. And looks shiney under the car.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM

A resonator, cat and the muffler will kill the drone.
I've got an SRS catback with a G35 muffler, Cattman ypipe and stock cats. Absolutly zero annoying drone and a nice growl when I stand on it. B4 I added the G35 muff, drone was unacceptable.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:18 PM

Because the G35 Muffler is a reverse flow design not straight thru...It's the muffler ....
Old 02-01-2013, 12:27 AM

If you end up deciding to go the G35 muffler route, pm me, as I have one sitting around ready to be shipped. I'd give you a good deal to get it off my hands...
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Because the G35 Muffler is a reverse flow design not straight thru...It's the muffler ....

Obviously. The good thing is that it's 2.5". Hopefully a little less restrictive than stock.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Obviously. The good thing is that it's 2.5". Hopefully a little less restrictive than stock.
The stock Oem muffler isn't horribly restrictive...it can support 247 whp
Old 02-01-2013, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys! I' havent been reading them because Ive been workin on the car!..lol. I ended up fixing it.... I ditched the straight through muffler and went back to my original plan. So now Im Warpspeed testpipe>mandel bent stainless resonator delete>blacked out factory muffler with polished tip (welded on....ditched my cruddy flange). It sounds fantastic.....like a g35 if it was a 3.0...its perfect, growls off the line and then doesnt drone on the highway. Im suprised how tuned the factory muffler sounds.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
The stock Oem muffler isn't horribly restrictive...it can support 247 whp
Well, there you go. Probably no difference in power mod. maybe sound wise? The reason I replaced the catback was because my stock muff rusted out and sounded like crap.The SRS catback was the same price as an oem muff. Add in $100 for the fab job, (free G35 muff), and I have a new catback that sounds better to me than stock.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:02 PM

Im guessing deleting the cat and getting rid of two horrible crimps by ditching the stock b pipe probably picks up a couple ponies. Cleaned the MAF too today......it definitely revs faster
Old 02-01-2013, 10:29 PM

Hey could you post a sound clip when you are done with the exhaust?? I wanna hear that so bad. I am also planning to get that G35 growl sound, but my car is an 01 I30( entirely stock...)... so do you mind telling me what the entire setup is? Thanks!

Or if there is any other cheaper way that I can get that growl sound?

Any info would be great! Thanks
Old 02-02-2013, 09:11 PM

I am a musician and my YouTube account is used for music related stuff...so I dont upload random videos to it.....

The setup is Stock manifold with precats, Warpspeed custom test pipe, aftermarket stainless b pipes/resonator delete, stock muffler welded on, which i sanded and painted..

Keep in mind I had a cali spec exhaust, so Im able to have full straight exhaust after my y pipe without throwing a code.....this wouldnt work on a federal max.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 AM

I am a musician and my YouTube account is used for music related stuff...so I dont upload random videos to it.....
Make a second account, use a different website (e.g. Photobucket)
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 AM

I could do that I guess....