5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Upper Oil Pan O-Rings

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Upper Oil Pan O-Rings

I understand that these O-rings should be replaced whenever removing the upper oil pan. My question is, how critical is it? I went to my local Nissan dealership today to pick up a set and was told I needed to bring the old O-rings in and they would "match them up". I was assuming there was a part number for this but now it looks like Nissan just has drawers of O-rings and grabs whatever fits. Should I bother replacing them? Has anyone had trouble with the oil pump by not replacing them?
Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I seem to recall it will adversely affect oil pressure if the O-rings are absent, ie oil pressure will be low.I had an O-ring assortment and replaced with the correct size by trial fitting. The old O-rings were somewhat deformed- not sure I'd rely on a parts guy to guesstimate the correct size. Having said that I doubt the oring size tolerance is very critical. The oring kits are inexpensive, I say pick one up and match+ test fit. I don't have access to the parts site atm, but I am sure there is a correct Nissan P/N for the oring, but it would be individually packaged and cost far more than the identical (or close to) oring I used from the assortment kit.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM

I did my upoer oil pan a few weeks ago and I just bought the felpro gasket kit like 39 $ and honestly it has every gasket you need for the entire job of the upper oil pan.
1. Front and rear seals
2.lower pan
3.oil filter adapter
4. Crank seal
5. Pickup tube
6. OIL PUMP O RINGS
7. Drain plug and gasket
8.rtv

Its not that bad a job. My saying is replace it if you want to. Prolly wont hurt not to but..... it is the OIL PUMP so if say one does go bad you lose oil preassure then you gotta do it allll over again... I would say replace em there dirt cheap probably. O and when putting the front and rear seals on put the motor side because you can't line it up puttting it on the pan first. And rtv both the top and bottom of the seals forget what instructions tell you about the silicone just in the edges a little bit. Be excesive! Its the only seal for the upper pan so don't be afraid to use a lot I did and it hassent leaked yet. Also I'm a mechanic. I couldn't find a torque spec for it so based on other oil pans I did 25ftlbs. Since its not a load bearing pan it don't need to be crazy tight and be sure to use RED locktight. Pm me if you have any questions.. or text me
Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Sounds like I should probably replace them. I'll just match them as closely as possible as I already have the pan down and don't want to have to wait on shipping.

Sounds like good advice on those half moon seals. I think I'll try that. And as far as torque specs, the FSM lists 12-14 ft-lbs for the upper pan bolts and 82-94 in-lbs for the lower pan bolts.

*One more question. I did buy the Felpro lower pan gasket. Is that good to use without any RTV sealant? The FSM doesn't show a gasket at all, they just use RTV. Wondering how well that gasket holds up on its own.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:26 PM

Bump
*One more question. I did buy the Felpro lower pan gasket. Is that good to use without any RTV sealant? The FSM doesn't show a gasket at all, they just use RTV. Wondering how well that gasket holds up on its own.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 03-02-2013, 09:24 AM

Are they orings or seals the fit @ the ends just below the crank, kinda like some half moon seals?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Are they orings or seals the fit @ the ends just below the crank, kinda like some half moon seals?
I was talking about the orange (at least in my case) flat O-rings for the oil pump. I have already purchased new half moon seals.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
I was talking about the orange (at least in my case) flat O-rings for the oil pump. I have already purchased new half moon seals.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/11012g-...-p-193514.html I guess you are talking about this oring?
Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM

http://www.courtesyparts.com/11012g-...-p-193514.html I guess you are talking about this oring?
Yup, that's the one. I would order them but I'm cleaning up the oil pan now and will be putting it back in today. I went to my local Nissan dealership to buy new o-rings and the parts guy just came out with a big NAPA box full of generic o-rings and none of them matched what was in the car.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM

Yup, that's the one. I would order them but I'm cleaning up the oil pan now and will be putting it back in today. I went to my local Nissan dealership to buy new o-rings and the parts guy just came out with a big NAPA box full of generic o-rings and none of them matched what was in the car.
Most of those parts in those Nissan boxes are from or thru NAPA and no one believes me.....I have a good friend who works @ NAPA and I work on alot of Nissans weekly....I remember buying a 2000 Altima waterpump from NAPA and it was in a Nissan OEM box, all I could do was laugh!
Old 03-02-2013, 03:05 PM

Don't worry we use generic oil orings on oil field transmissions that have 240 psi oil pressure charge system and they survive.....you be Ok! As long as you pick the right size......
Old 03-02-2013, 03:20 PM

Don't worry we use generic oil orings on oil field transmissions that have 240 psi oil pressure charge system and they survive.....you be Ok! As long as you pick the right size......
...none of them matched what was in the car.