5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Went through another Axle again.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 AM

Went through another Axle again.....

Soooo I have a 5th gen 2000 DE-K 5Speed slammed on Tein street advance Coilovers and I JUST recently changed my passenger side axle in December and its April yet again it's making the typical clicking noise... When driving on the highway and vibrates the entire car I need suggestions on alxes that are stronger and better then OEM if anybody knows. Hit me up thanks (PS my wheel berings are also shot to **** any info on those is Also needed) thanks

non LSD tranny btw
Old 04-14-2013, 12:26 AM

I'm having the noise that just appeared three days ago...
you can go Raxles, they charge 180 for a rebuild per axle.
You have to send yours in and wait till they rebuild it. Now they accept only OEM axles for rebuild as others are "chinese crap" quote from the owner
Napa held up alright for me, but get new, not reman from them (68 for the drivers side for me and 80bucks!!!! core charge)

when you do a wheel bearing - you need a new hub as well - that's the way our knuckle is set up, I like Timken, otherwise - OEM
could be done at home with a grinder and a separating tool, presses back in with axle nut, but be careful

at the shop - I've seen prices start at 120 for the bearing job
Old 04-14-2013, 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by shaks
I'm having the noise that just appeared three days ago...
you can go Raxles, they charge 180 for a rebuild per axle.
You have to send yours in and wait till they rebuild it. Now they accept only OEM axles for rebuild as others are "chinese crap" quote from the owner
Napa held up alright for me, but get new, not reman from them (68 for the drivers side for me and 80bucks!!!! core charge)

when you do a wheel bearing - you need a new hub as well - that's the way our knuckle is set up, I like Timken, otherwise - OEM
could be done at home with a grinder and a separating tool, presses back in with axle nut, but be careful

at the shop - I've seen prices start at 120 for the bearing job

Yooooo thank you bro im gonna look into the napa Axles tommorrow and send out my old Oem to raxle that sounds like a good deal! And for the Bering damn the entire hub has to be replaced???? I may look into Oem being low ruins a whole bunch of ****......
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by David3267
Yooooo thank you bro im gonna look into the napa Axles tommorrow and send out my old Oem to raxle that sounds like a good deal! And for the Bering damn the entire hub has to be replaced???? I may look into Oem being low ruins a whole bunch of ****......
Once the bearing starts grinding, it will make a groove on the hub - that's why you have to replace it
I thought that it is not required myself, but when I took mine apart - it was a horrible view

there is no point for going OEM with bearing, OEM hub is a good thing
Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by David3267
just a heads up, at work we use Napa stuff and have had a few axles on 5th gens fail again months later. dont know if it was a weird coincidence or not but just a heads up, i would get the OEM rebuilt by Raxle
Old 04-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Got Retrofit?

It's inevitable that axles will fail when we dump these cars. The passenger side is more prone because of its length. Even a Raxle will bind and fail eventually.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
It's inevitable that axles will fail when we dump these cars. The passenger side is more prone because of its length. Even a Raxle will bind and fail eventually.
This...

OP, a Maxima will go thru axles on a regular basis if it's slammed. Lift up the front a bit and take the pressure off of the axles to keep them from binding up, and you're good to go. However, if you're one of the guys that has to have his car slammed no matter what, then expect to be doing axles.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:58 AM

Just as has been said:

1) Raxles

2) raise the car up. You will end up not only burning through axles, but possibly going through axle brackets as well. See this old thread http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...e-bracket.html
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
This...

OP, a Maxima will go thru axles on a regular basis if it's slammed. Lift up the front a bit and take the pressure off of the axles to keep them from binding up, and you're good to go. However, if you're one of the guys that has to have his car slammed no matter what, then expect to be doing axles.
Yea that may be the next option for sure I bought the axle used off a guy off nycmaximas guess that's why it didn't last too long it's off a 4th gen maxima from the junkyard -____-
Old 04-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Yoooo!!!! So freaking true my drivers side axle has a torn boot its also the OEM axle from when the car rolled off the dealership and it doesn't make any noise or cause vibration in the car but the passenger side makes mad clicking noise and makes my **** vibrate like crazy on the highway I'm looking into gettin new wheel berings and hubs from Am-auto parts.com as well as a raxle axle from the passenger side

http://www.am-autoparts.com/2000/Nis...hub-front.html

Think these will hold up well?