5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dealer says might need new computer

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 AM

Dealer says might need new computer

Here's the story...last week engine light came on was saying that it was cylinder # 4 misfire. So I figured it was the coil-packs, bought all 6 and replaced them. All the coils were $600. While changing them since I had the manifold off I did a stupid thing and sprayed the cleaner inside the manifold. Dumbass move I know.

After putting everything back on started the car and something still not right was like it was struggling to idle and when I'd hit the gas it would sputter all the way to 4-5K rpm. Car would also die a few times on me then start back up.

Took it to my mechanic left it there with him, calls me back says need a new throttle body, so he changes it. Charges me $600 for the throttle body plus the sensor. I get the car back yesterday still with the engine light on and something is still not right it idles very funny and just doesn't act like it did.

I take it to the dealer this morning he tries to adjust the throttle body but can't and tells me I need a new computer for the car which costs around $1,000. He didn't charge me anything for the diagnostic and trying to fix it.

So I am now at a loss, have no idea what to do could you please point me in the right direction here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by xmaltbeerxcp; 05-24-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xmaltbeerxcp
Here's the story...last week engine light came on was saying that it was cylinder # 4 misfire. So I figured it was the coil-packs, bought all 6 and replaced them. All the coils were $600. While changing them since I had the manifold off I did a stupid thing and sprayed the cleaner inside the manifold. Dumbass move I know.

After putting everything back on started the car and something still not right was like it was struggling to idle and when I'd hit the gas it would sputter all the way to 4-5K rpm. Car would also die a few times on me then start back up.

Took it to my mechanic left it there with him, calls me back says need a new throttle body, so he changes it. Charges me $600 for the throttle body plus the sensor. I get the car back yesterday still with the engine light on and something is still not right it idles very funny and just doesn't act like it did.

I take it to the dealer this morning he tries to adjust the throttle body but can't and tells me I need a new computer for the car which costs around $1,000. He didn't charge me anything for the diagnostic and trying to fix it.

So I am now at a loss, have no idea what to do could you please point me in the right direction here. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
What year? I bet the cleaner plus a vacuum leak is causing your issue how would the TB get damaged?do you have any codes?STOP and rethink and test before using money!i hope you got the old TB.

Last edited by cjandura; 05-24-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM

Limp it over to K&K Auto In Uniondale in LI. The guys specialize in Maxima's. Harjit and Jeet know their stuff. I take my car out there for all my work.

444 Jerusalem Ave
Uniondale, NY 11553
(516) 505-7800
Old 05-24-2013, 08:56 AM

Why in the world would you need a new computer after spraying cleaner in your manifold?? Doesn't make sense, don't do it unless they can prove the old ECU is bad (maybe they can't adjust the TB cause the new one is bad or connector not on tight or something). Also don't understand why cleaner would destroy your TB in the first place, but I guess it's too late to get the old one back. So are you sure you got 6 good coilpacks, and were they OEM or knockoffs? If the latter I'd guess that's your problem.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
Limp it over to K&K Auto In Uniondale in LI. The guys specialize in Maxima's. Harjit and Jeet know their stuff. I take my car out there for all my work.

444 Jerusalem Ave
Uniondale, NY 11553
(516) 505-7800
Thanks, I'm gonna give them a call after the holiday weekend, see what they say.

Originally Posted by Pilm
Why in the world would you need a new computer after spraying cleaner in your manifold?? Doesn't make sense, don't do it unless they can prove the old ECU is bad (maybe they can't adjust the TB cause the new one is bad or connector not on tight or something). Also don't understand why cleaner would destroy your TB in the first place, but I guess it's too late to get the old one back. So are you sure you got 6 good coilpacks, and were they OEM or knockoffs? If the latter I'd guess that's your problem.
Coil-packs were bought from dealer OEM Nissan parts.

Originally Posted by cjandura
What year? I bet the cleaner plus a vacuum leak is causing your issue how would the TB get damaged?do you have any codes?STOP and rethink and test before using money!i hope you got the old TB.
Car is a 2003, not sure which code(s) it's throwing now.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:02 AM

The dealer tells me I need a new car, doesn't make them right.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:24 AM

Went to Auto Zone today to see which code it was throwing now...I came back with a P0507. I think I might try that Idle Relearn procedure see what happens.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Banned

Anytime you unplug the tb on a dbw system it needs a relearn but first lets reach down infrint of the radiator and engine and unplug that pesky electronic front mount and do the coolant bypass on that tb.do a search for the procedure on both
Old 05-25-2013, 08:06 AM

Went to Auto Zone today to see which code it was throwing now...I came back with a P0507. I think I might try that Idle Relearn procedure see what happens.
Guy in link below had same issue, seems P0507 can be fixed by reflashing ECU:

"Glad you got it fixed. But all you had to do was some searching here on the Org and you would have found an ECU flash would have fixed the problem."

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...gh-solved.html