5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 SE - tightening Power Steering Belt - HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM

2000 SE - tightening Power Steering Belt - HELP!!!

2000 Maxima SE 3.0 litre, 5 speed....................

I've read as many posts as I can but I still can't figure this out. I need to tighten (or replace) my power steering belt as it is "squealing" for the first couple of minutes of driving.

I figured out the adjustment bolt on the front side of the p/s pump where one has to slightly loosen the horizontal 'set' bolt and then turn the vertical bolt from underneath the vehicle. I am accessing this area by removing the inner front fender well on the passenger side and turning the wheel as far to the right as possible (same set up as if you were changing the oil filter).

My problem is I cannot get to the 'pivot' bolt on the back side of the pump which I would think needs to be slightly loosened to allow the p/s pump to move when turning the vertical adjustment bolt on the front? I think I can see the correct bolt on the back side of the pump (bright brass color...kind of a 'tall' bolt head?) but I cannot reach it with any kind of tool setup. When I use a swivel on an extension, from underneath....I still do not have enough angle to get to it. (btw, anyone know the exact size of this bolt......13mm??)

Any ideas??? I'm big time frustrated with this. I've tried tackling this on two different occasions and still no luck. I'm about ready to pay someone to do this but I would rather not.

Thanks for any advice/help.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:16 PM

I watched this video and then I adjusted my power steering belt. Pmohr has a 4th gen but the 2000 and 2001 is the exact same.

FYI - Nissan does not use 13mm nuts and bolts anywhere on the car. That's on European cars. You will need 12mm and a 14mm wrenches

Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is a pain in the ***.

Is the belt bad by any chance? If it is, I would try this.

Cut off the belt. Then without adjusting anything, put the new belt on the ps pulley part way and part way on the crank pulley. Then using a 19 mm ratchet, turn the crank pulley and "walk" the ps belt on by pushing it onto the crank pulley as you turn it.

Takes 5 minutes.

Frankly, I would go ahead and do that. If it solves that squeal, then you are done. If not, then you have to deal with the pulley system and that damn back bolt. FWIW, the one time I did it, I used a ratcheting wrench with a tilt head.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I watched this video and then I adjusted my power steering belt. Pmohr has a 4th gen but the 2000 and 2001 is the exact same.

FYI - Nissan does not use 13mm nuts and bolts anywhere on the car. That's on European cars. You will need 12mm and a 14mm wrenches

Having trouble understanding exactly where he is at in this video. Maybe I am trying to get to the wrong bolt entirely as far as the 'pivot' bolt is concerned? It looks like he is getting it from the front side of the pump and I was trying to reach something on the back side and towards the bottom of the pump.....can barely see it while lying under the car. Maybe I am looking at the wrong bolt? Dammn .......I am so frustrated with this.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jontay

Having trouble understanding exactly where he is at in this video. Maybe I am trying to get to the wrong bolt entirely as far as the 'pivot' bolt is concerned? It looks like he is getting it from the front side of the pump and I was trying to reach something on the back side and towards the bottom of the pump.....can barely see it while lying under the car. Maybe I am looking at the wrong bolt? Dammn .......I am so frustrated with this.
Did you try my suggestion?

I will bet you that a new belt solves the problem. The belt probably stretched and wore over time.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Max_Gator
Did you try my suggestion?

I will bet you that a new belt solves the problem. The belt probably stretched and wore over time.
I'm actually thinking of replacing both belts since I am in that area now. The car has 150k miles on it and they are probably the original belts or maybe changed once by previous....but I doubt it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:20 PM

I replaced both belts last weekend. An hour the most, Piece of cake!
Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 PM

replaced both belts recently. actually had a friend do it who is pretty good with cars. cost me buying some BBQ which was a good chow-down for all of us.

did have to loosen the 'pivot' bolt on the rear side but was easier to access with a box end wrench from the front side of the p/s pump as opposed to underneath as I was trying to do before. no more squeaks and working good.

thanks to everyone who replied back........it was a lot of help. thanks for the videos and I hope someone else makes good use of this thread also. this is an awesome forum that has solved many problems for me. I really do thank you all.