5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2k Sunroof won't open / Lighting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2k Sunroof won't open / Lighting Issue

For the last few days I've been working on fixing a number of issues with my 2k Maxima. I really appreciate all the help provided here! I've probably read 30+ threads about sunroof issues in the 00 to 03 models. My sunroof worked great until about 6 months ago when it simply stopped working. It never struggled to open or close and it was never possessed. There are no sounds when pressing the switches.

I have a 2000 Maxima so there's no reset option by holding the tilt. Instead, I read a bunch of recommendations such as unplugging the battery or removing the relay to reset it. I just replaced the battery a week ago and that didn't do anything. I've checked all of the fuses and 1 relay. According to a thread I read yesterday, which I can't find anymore, the relay is behind the fuse box below the dash drivers side. Once removed, the power windows didn't work. Assuming that it was the correct relay, I at least know it works.

I pulled the sunroof switch panel down and tested the ground and power. The ground works, but I'm not getting any power at the switch. The light right next to the switches works. Shouldn't there always be power running? Don't switches operate by grounding the connection? If so, any clues why my switch isn't getting power?

I read about testing the motor by providing power directly, but I don't see the connectors for the motor.

And another small problem that I don't feel I need to create a thread on; the backlights behind my presets and most of the buttons near the radio don't light up. Two buttons light up, the shifter labels, and dash light up. Here's an image of a dash similar to mine with the buttons that light up circled. Seeing as some of the lights work, I'm guessing this is some wiring issue or burnt bulbs? Any other obvious culprit?
Name:  zLkavHi.png
Views: 7
Size:  2.52 MB

Last edited by smashedpumpkins; 01-10-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:34 PM

The sunroof doesn't use a relay. The windows use a relay, but it is not on the back of the fuse panel. What you probably pulled is the circuit breaker that powers the sunroof, windows and seats.

There is no power going directly to the sunroof switches. The sunroof motor is the "brains" of the operation. It has a microprocessor, limit switches and encoders built into it. Any power or ground that the switches get, comes through the motor under the control of the microprocessor.

Since the motor has all the important stuff built into it, my guess is that the motor assembly is bad.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:02 AM

Have you checked the fuses? Fuse #13 is constant 12V, fuse #10 is switched. There's also a 40a fuse #1, should be right off the battery that goes to the circuit breaker. If you can get to the wires that go to the motor, there should be a larger white wire with a red stripe from the breaker that provides constant power to the motor. If there no power on this wire at the motor, the breaker is bad.