5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Front end suspension noise (Rattle)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:45 PM

Front end suspension noise (Rattle)

I replaced both LCA's and both complete strut assemblies. I'm still hearing a noise when I go over bumps or rough road like something in suspension is rattling. I double check my work, no missing bolts and everything is torqued on.

Any suggestions on what it might possibly be? God knows the 5th gen is plagued with issues so I'm sure someone has a similar issue. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by blocster
I replaced both LCA's and both complete strut assemblies. I'm still hearing a noise when I go over bumps or rough road like something in suspension is rattling. I double check my work, no missing bolts and everything is torqued on.

Any suggestions on what it might possibly be? God knows the 5th gen is plagued with issues so I'm sure someone has a similar issue. Thanks.
Damn it try the (center) top hat bolt maybe it got loose...

How old are your stability bar links and bushings?
What kind if struts did you get? Perhaps a bad set....?
Inner and outer rod ends?

I just found out one of the permanent sway bar stoppers on mine is destroyed ...
Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 PM
Maximize

Originally Posted by blocster

I just recently replaced both of my LCA (Moog) and replaced my strut assemblies last year (Tokico Illuminas).

I did my Passenger side one weekend and the Driver side the following weekend. After I completed the Passenger side everything worked great - no noise. However, I can hear a noise on the Driver side that sounds like metal on metal. In fact, I can hear the noise if I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left and then back all the way to the right.

When investigating the noise I did find that the bellows boot zip tie had broken and was making a popping noise. I secured the bellows boot with a new zip tie. It fixed that problem, but I still cannot locate metal on metal noise.

I have suspicions that it might be my top hat. But I'm not sure why it started making noises now.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by nestorlugo
Damn it try the (center) top hat bolt maybe it got loose...

How old are your stability bar links and bushings?
What kind if struts did you get? Perhaps a bad set....?
Inner and outer rod ends?

I just found out one of the permanent sway bar stoppers on mine is destroyed ...

Stability bar links and bushings I haven't touched. I was looking at them they look a little worn but not bad. I'll replace the sway bar bushings next and check the top hat bolt. Tie rod ends seem fine.
I originally went with Koni struts but when they came in the mail I found out that they are cartridge inserts. At $280 I sent them back due to the fact I need a strut mounts and boots=another $85 so I Just went with a complete set up from Ebay.
The noise sounds if it's coming from the passenger side.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:01 PM

Make sure it's not one of your engine mounts. I had a "suspension clunk" on the passenger side that was caused by a worn-out passenger side engine mount. Took me a while to diagnose it, because just like you, I was focused on suspension components.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:44 AM

/\/\/\/\/\what he said....
Old 10-04-2014, 07:49 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

if you replaced everything, motor mount is your next step
Old 10-04-2014, 02:06 PM

First of all what is a Top Hat? Do you have a large pry bar? Sounds like you need to test/check/inspect your car's suspension more thoroughly! Apparently either the swaybar end links are worn enough to make noise, or you didn't properly torque your sway bar bushing or the LCA arm hardware....Jack it up and look your work over!
Old 10-05-2014, 12:00 AM

u may need part# 54325-8J000 strut bearing
Old 10-06-2014, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
First of all what is a Top Hat? Do you have a large pry bar? Sounds like you need to test/check/inspect your car's suspension more thoroughly! Apparently either the swaybar end links are worn enough to make noise, or you didn't properly torque your sway bar bushing or the LCA arm hardware....Jack it up and look your work over!
LoL... Top Hat would be the strut mount.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Suspension Yoda

Sigh....

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...on-thread.html