5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need HELP finding INPUT SHAFT BEARING

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Need HELP finding INPUT SHAFT BEARING

Hey guys been a while since i have been on here, I have noticed that my input shaft bearing is going out on my 2000 maxima.. Sounds like crap and i've been wanting to change it for some time now, but I have also noticed there isn't much info on a how to, or even where to get it. I have looked and cant really find one the only place i noticed it is rockauto.. If any of you have done this fix please let me know. I am going to change out my clutch as well and do the rear main seal. Hell probably replace a couple bearings in that ol tranny as well as the seals, just holler back and let me know if there is a write up or maybe a bearing kit i can get for this ol' girl.. thanks!! You guys are awesome!
Old 02-24-2015, 09:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by michaelliv
Hey guys been a while since i have been on here, I have noticed that my input shaft bearing is going out on my 2000 maxima.. Sounds like crap and i've been wanting to change it for some time now, but I have also noticed there isn't much info on a how to, or even where to get it. I have looked and cant really find one the only place i noticed it is rockauto.. If any of you have done this fix please let me know. I am going to change out my clutch as well and do the rear main seal. Hell probably replace a couple bearings in that ol tranny as well as the seals, just holler back and let me know if there is a write up or maybe a bearing kit i can get for this ol' girl.. thanks!! You guys are awesome!

The best way would be to order if from the dealer. They will have a schematics showing that bearing on their computer. If you are going to go that far as far removing the tranny then might as well buy an OEM bearing and have a peace of mind. Dont forget to buy the small rubber seal that the shaft rotates on.

Replacing the clutch as the same time only makes sense. I did exactly that last year when my ISB was driving me crazy. Paid 60 for the bearing and 15 for the seal. The old bearing was very noisy but intact. Not that hard to do if you mark every piece you remove and take lots of pics before while removing parts from the tranny. Use a copy of the FSM that shows how to disassemble the tranny and you are all set.

If i lived closer i could have helped you.

Good luck.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks brotha, yeah I bought the bearings and seals from lansing nissan and plan on doing it soon. As for changing the clutch i already have and that's taken care of, I need to do the rear main seal still so will be doing that when i do this. My only question is taking the transmission apart. How to separate the case from the clutch housing? Snap ring to separate it? I have seen pics of you guys cutting the bearing from the shaft which is no problem for me I have the tools, but as for taking her apart I don't want to risk breaking something just getting into it, I am tempted to take a bazillion pictures, load up diagrams and even make a youtube video so that in the future everyone can tackle this common issue.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HAHA and another thing i forgot to mention.. When if first called nissan for my input shaft bearings they had NO listing for that bearing or anything.. I was surprised, up until i looked on maxima forums and found a part number thank god for this forum the dealership had the bearings.. I want to wait a couple weeks to fix this bearing because in MI right now it is unbelievable cold and i have no garage, i do have a deal with a mechanic friend to let me use his garage but with limited time SO i have to know what i am doing before i commit because i don't want to leave it stranded for a couple days. I will be happy because I wont have to deal with that damn bearing haha.. Hey thanks again man for replying!