5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

01 muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by 2kMaxim
Replace that whole pipe and it WILL give you a couple ponies. Don't pay to have it cut out and a pipe welded in.
Yeah man I was actually thinking of just having that whole mid pipe replaced. But it's just for now, getting a catback is in the works.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Y2kMaxima

Yeah man I was actually thinking of just having that whole mid pipe replaced. But it's just for now, getting a catback is in the works.
A catback IS the whole pipe....carry on sir.

What I found is when you start messing with the main parts...such as headers, test pipe, etc...you REALLY are gonna want good muffling in the back. Make sure you don't get a straight through design, unless it's all you plan to do.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-17-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:31 PM

I have a 02 with 2.5" SS + Headers.

I'm pretty sure every hour I drive on the highway I am suffering hearing damage
Old 03-13-2015, 03:34 PM

A catback IS the whole pipe....carry on sir.
Lol no I meant like a simple pipe from whatever muffler shop I do it at just replacing the cat back but for now I just want the resonator removed. Theres a catback I've got my eyes on at the moment.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by george__
I have a 02 with 2.5" SS + Headers.

I'm pretty sure every hour I drive on the highway I am suffering hearing damage
Lol. I briefly rocked the eBay cat back I bought just for the b pipe.....with a test pipe on it was outrageous. I literally wore earplugs one day.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:38 PM

Lol. I briefly rocked the eBay cat back I bought just for the b pipe.....with a test pipe on it was outrageous. I literally wore earplugs one day.
I'm tempted to try that tbh.

There's already a gigantic magna flow resonator but still very loud compared to stock (once rpm hits about 2000 - 3000). Thinking of playing with the muffler next.

I'll upload a dashcam clip for you to hear
Old 03-13-2015, 03:40 PM

I'm lookin at that SRS catback on eBay. Sounds pretty damn good. That'll be after the manifold spacers, bop and timing advance which is all supposed to be happening within a couple weeks. Should compliment my pop charger well
Old 03-13-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by george__

I'm tempted to try that tbh.

There's already a gigantic magna flow resonator but still very loud compared to stock (once rpm hits about 2000 - 3000). Thinking of playing with the muffler next.

I'll upload a dashcam clip for you to hear
The stock muffler is a beast. I'm about to literally have straight through exhaust with the stock muffler on the end....and there's almost no drone. Small one at idle
Old 03-13-2015, 03:58 PM

How was noise? Was it really much louder than with the rear deleted?

Not that much different. The muffler & resonator have less to do with the quality of sound than an equal length y-pipe does. Now as far as volume I will say having a big resonator & quiet muffler does make a difference.

I tried flomaster, magnaflow, & some other stuff my buddy had at his shop.

Magnaflow gave the best overall sound as well as performance in my opinion. This is subjective though as I am only using the butt dyno in reference to performance. Sound wise it seemed to be the best. After it was broken in it seemed to drone less and burble more.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:46 PM

Thread jacked
Old 03-14-2015, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
Thread jacked
Indeed..Lol. But how long can you really talk about cutting a muffler off
Old 03-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Indeed..Lol. But how long can you really talk about cutting a muffler off
You sir, are a big ole douche
Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 PM

Post a video of a drive by and an interior commute....
Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 PM

Resonator delete is the way to go imo. I've posted in another thread or two but here goes; I got a custom catback made and installed at a local shop. 2.5" SS piping, straight pipe instead of a resonator, and a flowmaster muffler with a 2.5" single round tip. Sounds Damn good to me. After it had broken in over the past couple days the drone was MUCH less noticeable, almost gone except in the 2000-3000 rpm range. Gives the car a really nice low exhaust note without sounding like a cut up can on the muffler lol. No earplugs needed
Old 03-14-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4thGenTuner
Not that much different. The muffler & resonator have less to do with the quality of sound than an equal length y-pipe does. Now as far as volume I will say having a big resonator & quiet muffler does make a difference.

I tried flomaster, magnaflow, & some other stuff my buddy had at his shop.

Magnaflow gave the best overall sound as well as performance in my opinion. This is subjective though as I am only using the butt dyno in reference to performance. Sound wise it seemed to be the best. After it was broken in it seemed to drone less and burble more.
I think that may be true somewhat considering the ypipe or header assy quality....but overall sound is directly connected to the resonator /muffler contruction quality, sound deadening techniques, size, etc... I've found Magnaflow mufflers really to be the standard to judge most mufflers regarding PROPER SIZING and quality of sound! The secret is stay away from the beautiful tipped Magnaflow mufflers if you have no plans to use the largest resonator that will fit. Big mufflers, kills big noise! Like women think, the bigger the better!
Old 03-14-2015, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Post a video of a drive by and an interior commute....
2001 maxima muffler delete vids:

Included some more take offs so people get a feel for how it sounds and how loud its NOT.
Interior is at the end.
Im unable to get a driveby vid atm because i dont want to leave a camera unattended while i drive by.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:57 AM

Not bad without the muffler but you definitely avoided the drone zone...But thanks for the vids....Here's my 4th gen 2.5" crimp bent exhaust w/ a Flowmaster muffler only! No cat, no resonator...This was the previous owners modded exhaust! I definitely change it!

Last edited by CMax03; 03-15-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:27 AM

Not bad without the muffler but you definitely avoided the drone zone...But thanks for the vids....Here's my 4th gen 2.5" crimp bent exhaust w/ a Flowmaster muffler only! No cat, no resonator...My this was the previous owners modded exhaust!

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pDpg_OixJ0
I dont know if you meant i dont have a drone zone or i didnt show it in the video.
the only time the cars drones is when i purposely make it drone.. which is pretty difficult to do ive found (its a good thing lol) ill try and force droning and take one more vid if youd like.

Now are you a fan of that previous owners exhaust? I was thoroughly impressed at how you had the camera set up to slowly and beautifully pan right on the gas can
Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
I dont know if you meant i dont have a drone zone or i didnt show it in the video.
the only time the cars drones is when i purposely make it drone.. which is pretty difficult to do ive found (its a good thing lol) ill try and force droning and take one more vid if youd like.

Now are you a fan of that previous owners exhaust? I was thoroughly impressed at how you had the camera set up to slowly and beautifully pan right on the gas can
Well no you rev'd up to about 2200 rpm and got out of there! I'm still surprised it's not louder but you still have the cat and resonator in place that's why....As far as my 4th Gen Flowmaster (NoiseMaster) exhaust...No I wasn't a fan of it when my buddy owned the car and decided to do this to this car...That why I first added an extra 2.5" Cattman resonator I had laying around to kill the freakin noise, once it was my car! The resonator helped lower the drone and volume but not the horrible acoustics this thing made it was embarrassing to drive in traffic it was so loud!!! So that's when I called M.E.S. to have them design a custom catback for the 4th Gen crowd....It came out nice and sounds 100% better! This next video is with a freshly installed catback exhaust and no carbon build up formed in the exhaust yet...So louder than it is now with that layer of carbon acting as an insulator:

Old 03-15-2015, 01:54 PM

People seem to like those dynomaxes vt.
looks like a good idea 2 me.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:21 PM

Til that spring breaks LOL! Our OEM muffler is like this VT except we have dual tips!
Old 03-17-2015, 03:02 PM

Well no you rev'd up to about 2200 rpm and got out of there! I'm still surprised it's not louder but you still have the cat and resonator in place that's why....As far as my 4th Gen Flowmaster (NoiseMaster) exhaust...No I wasn't a fan of it when my buddy owned the car and decided to do this to this car...That why I first added an extra 2.5" Cattman resonator I had laying around to kill the freakin noise, once it was my car! The resonator helped lower the drone and volume but not the horrible acoustics this thing made it was embarrassing to drive in traffic it was so loud!!! So that's when I called M.E.S. to have them design a custom catback for the 4th Gen crowd....It came out nice and sounds 100% better! This next video is with a freshly installed catback exhaust and no carbon build up formed in the exhaust yet...So louder than it is now with that layer of carbon acting as an insulator:

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N0AlhWTNfg
NoiseMaster lol? Mine sounds fantastic imo 03 Maxima Custom Catback Exhaust System:
Old 03-18-2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sinscythe07
NoiseMaster lol? Mine sounds fantastic imo 03 Maxima Custom Catback Exhaust System: 03 Maxima Custom Catback Exhaust System - YouTube
Yes that does sound better than my old system....Is it a rear muffler only? No Cat, no resonator?

Last edited by CMax03; 03-18-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:49 AM

Well, that does sound decent OP. It's definitely not loud, I know because it sounds exactly the same as when I had an exhaust leak on the old stock system (which is in the trash now)..

Resonator/muffler definitely seem to make the biggest difference far as drone and sound level is concerned.

I'm a fan of a more beefy sound, something that has no high pitch Honda-civic'ness to it. I accomplished that with mine, it has great "bass" so to speak, and is not overly loud. But it's not very quiet either, and the highway drone is definitely not for everybody.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 AM

Yes that does sound better than my old system....Is it a rear muffler only? No Cat, no resonator?
It's 2.5" piping from the catback, no resonator just a straight pipe
Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 AM
dot dot dot ...

Hmmm: https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...-pictures.html