5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 Nissan Maxima Struts

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:35 AM

02 Nissan Maxima Struts

Hi. You all have definitely been a big help lately!

I think I need to get the struts changed on my car. It has 150,000 miles I don't think I ever changed the struts. But I'm curious as to what struts I need. Specifically, I see Monroe struts a lot, but what about some other brands like KYB? I was going to get a local mechanic to install them for cheap but want to make sure I do this right.

Also, for an even cheaper price can I do this myself? Thank you!!!
Old 06-15-2015, 08:20 AM

Keep it simple KYB GR-2's
Old 06-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Suspension Yoda

Seriously? There is a 30 page thread halfway down the page that explains all of this.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...on-thread.html
Old 06-15-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by kingkai1990
Hi. You all have definitely been a big help lately!

I think I need to get the struts changed on my car. It has 150,000 miles I don't think I ever changed the struts. But I'm curious as to what struts I need. Specifically, I see Monroe struts a lot, but what about some other brands like KYB? I was going to get a local mechanic to install them for cheap but want to make sure I do this right.

Also, for an even cheaper price can I do this myself? Thank you!!!
You can buy Tokico Blue or Tokico illumina at autoanything.com which is far better than KYB. Tokico brand is the OEM Genuine Nissan struts the only difference OEM tokico is fluid type while Tokico blue is gas type.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
Seriously? There is a 30 page thread halfway down the page that explains all of this.

You could have at least been a little more useful while you're at it instead of complaining. You've contributed nothing at all.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:49 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by colt149
You can buy Tokico Blue or Tokico illumina at autoanything.com which is far better than KYB. Tokico brand is the OEM Genuine Nissan struts the only difference OEM tokico is fluid type while Tokico blue is gas type.
Not necessarily. All depends on multiple factors that should be considered. Illuminas are overkill for most. Blues are too soft for most. Can't make a sweeping statement like this without taking into consideration the buyer's preferences.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM
Suspension Yoda

You could have at least been a little more useful while you're at it instead of complaining. You've contributed nothing at all.
Thank you for your opinion.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:02 PM

I'm ordering sachs for all 4 corners for my mother in-law's I30. I don't think a lot of members have used them. I had nothing but good experiences with them back when I was wrenching.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:41 PM

Not necessarily. All depends on multiple factors that should be considered. Illuminas are overkill for most. Blues are too soft for most. Can't make a sweeping statement like this without taking into consideration the buyer's preferences.
I just have...um... normal needs I think.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Suspension Yoda

I just have...um... normal needs I think.
Do you like a soft ride? Firm? Adjustable? What's your budget?

These are the inputs I am referring to. People have preferences. Has nothing to do with normality.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:03 PM

If you want to do the job yourself and save some money, Monroe Quick Struts are good. I have them in my I35. The ride's a little on the softer side but I don't mind. At 150K miles, there's a good chance your strut mounts and dust boots are not long for this world so another benefit with quick struts is all new hardware.

Last edited by mclasser; 06-15-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:06 PM

You've contributed nothing at all.
Right, nothing at all. He's only contributed a 30 page thread of nothing but general suspension questions like this and has assisted a countless number of forum users for several years, myself included.

There's nothing wrong with suggesting you search the forum for answers to your questions before starting a new thread with an issue that has already been addressed.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Unclejunebug
Right, nothing at all. He's only contributed a 30 page thread of nothing but general suspension questions like this and has assisted a countless number of forum users for several years, myself included.

There's nothing wrong with suggesting you search the forum for answers to your questions before starting a new thread with an issue that has already been addressed.
And why did you inject yourself into this thread? Since you can obviously see through my screen, what's my favorite pizza?

For your information, I've already googled information about the struts. I could not find relevant information in terms of brands and their reliability.

Also, a bit of a red herring you threw there. I'm talking in context of MY thread, not what his history is. Before you speak, please read the context of what one is talking about.

There's ways you can address an issue without being a smart *** about something.

Saying ''seriously?" as a reply to a thread does not contribute anything. One could have simply said ''Hey, we already have a thread with lot's of resources with a link here''. That would have been more useful.

Apparently I'm supposed to know every thread that exists that's not in the sticky.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:09 PM

And why did you inject yourself into this thread? Since you can obviously see through my screen, what's my favorite pizza? For your information, I've already googled information about the struts. I could not find relevant information in terms of brands and their reliability. Also, a bit of a red herring you threw there. I'm talking in context of MY thread, not what his history is. Before you speak, please read the context of what one is talking about. There's ways you can address an issue without being a smart *** about something. Saying ''seriously?" as a reply to a thread does not contribute anything. One could have simply said ''Hey, we already have a thread with lot's of resources with a link here''. That would have been more useful. Apparently I'm supposed to know every thread that exists that's not in the sticky.
Don't sweat it a lot of people resort to the old use the search cause they had someone say it to them. Fact is if we don't start new threads and talk about old stuff this place would have no interaction. Obviously you're a newer member/poster. So older members should politely take the time to explain things a little better.

Just so you know djfreestyle is probably the most knowledgeable suspension guy on this forum. He's also a hell of a nice guy and he can walk you through any possible questions you could have. So you may want to say your sorry to him and I'm sure he would gladly explain anything you need to you.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by colt149
in what way are they better?

I personally do city / daily driving but, also like to have some extra "sport" handeling for when i get in to it (corners)

EDIT: also the forum upgrade but, tons and tons of old links some old threads are dead ends.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 06-15-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
in what way are they better? I personally do city / daily driving but, also like to have some extra "sport" handeling for when i get in to it (corners)
I think he means as far as illuminas having the adjustability that the kyb don't offer. I have illuminas and I won't say they're better than kybs cause I've never had them but they sure are extremely nice. I've had a ton of cars over the years, and I got to say the illuminas offer a great ride and having on the fly adjustability is awesome. The only setup I could see being nicer in my opinion would be coilovers.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:16 PM

2000 SE here ... looking for a nice replacement set of rear shocks. Looking for something sportier than stock, always found the SE not up to par with a sporty ride, so definitely something stiffer. The catch is, I want to maintain stock height.
Thanks for all your help guys
Old 06-16-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Mints33
2000 SE here ... looking for a nice replacement set of rear shocks. Looking for something sportier than stock, always found the SE not up to par with a sporty ride, so definitely something stiffer. The catch is, I want to maintain stock height. Thanks for all your help guys
To keep stock height just keep stock springs. I think kyb offer a slightly stiffer ride.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mattx
To keep stock height just keep stock springs. I think kyb offer a slightly stiffer ride.
How reliable are the KYB's? Stock reliability? Or somewhere close?
Old 06-16-2015, 06:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had tokico blues on stock springs for about a year and wasn't to crazy out it. The ride was softer than stock. It was really noticeable in the rear. I ended up buying OE from Nissan and selling my blues to a orger from Rhode Island. May blues should only be used with lowering springs??
Old 06-16-2015, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mints33
How reliable are the KYB's? Stock reliability? Or somewhere close?
Don't know never had them.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by boondoxmax
I had tokico blues on stock springs for about a year and wasn't to crazy out it. The ride was softer than stock. It was really noticeable in the rear. I ended up buying OE from Nissan and selling my blues to a orger from Rhode Island. May blues should only be used with lowering springs??
Blues and illuminas are not in the same ballpark.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:58 AM

And why did you inject yourself into this thread? Since you can obviously see through my screen, what's my favorite pizza?
I have no idea. Suggesting I can see through your screen is ridiculous.

For your information, I've already googled information about the struts. I could not find relevant information in terms of brands and their reliability.
Your original question asks nothing about brand reliability. Just simply, "What struts do I need?"

Also, a bit of a red herring you threw there. I'm talking in context of MY thread, not what his history is. Before you speak, please read the context of what one is talking about.
My response was not misleading at all. The context of your thread is the same as the thread mentioned (actually linked to) by djfrestyl. General suspension questions. He started the thread so others could ask questions and everything would be within the same thread for reference.

There's ways you can address an issue without being a smart *** about something.
I completely agree. So take it down a notch.

Saying ''seriously?" as a reply to a thread does not contribute anything. One could have simply said ''Hey, we already have a thread with lot's of resources with a link here''. That would have been more useful.
I agree, and his response may have been a bit brash. Though he did link to the thread he mentioned.

Apparently I'm supposed to know every thread that exists that's not in the sticky.
Of course not. No one can know the contents of every thread ever created on the forum. But if you're only looking in the stickies then you're not searching the vast wealth of information that can be found by clicking the search button.

Bottom line, you're here requesting FREE advice from people who are taking time out of their day to help YOU. Based off your OP it sounds like you've already received lots of help, and that's fantastic. But if you receive a response that's doesn't align with what you're looking for, don't take it personally.

Anyways, good luck with your struts. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Blues and illuminas are not in the same ballpark.
Yeah I know, but I was just giving my opinion on blues because theres lots of threads stating blues are stiffer than stock and I don't believe that to be true.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 PM

Yeah I know, but I was just giving my opinion on blues because theres lots of threads stating blues are stiffer than stock and I don't believe that to be true.
Ohh I wasn't sure what you were saying.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:29 AM
dot dot dot ...

Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 AM

best info in this thread, thanks for posting your experience with blues.

i was under the impression blues felt like a 3 out of 5 on the illumina setting scale, but based on what your saying seems like 1 or less.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:18 PM

I bet the springs you use will make a greater difference
Old 06-19-2015, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by george__
good point also
Old 06-19-2015, 01:00 PM

Yes I also believe that to be true. Stock struts are pretty stiff on these cars. You put blues on stock springs and the car rode almost like a caddy. Only downside is the cost of OE shocks/struts, but I like the way the car rides and handles compared to blues and stock springs. If you get blues then get yourself some got sports springs.
Name:  shocks.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  105.7 KB
Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
i was under the impression blues felt like a 3 out of 5 on the illumina setting scale, but based on what your saying seems like 1 or less.
Blues, without a doubt, are softer than OEM. I would say Illuminas at setting 2 are equivalent to OEM. Agree that Illuminas at setting 1 or less would be equal to Blues

Everyone should remember that your spring selection dictates your strut selection, not the other way around. Pick your springs based on stiffness, ride height, etc, then pick your struts. There are only certain struts that mate properly to certain springs.

If you get blues then get yourself some got sports springs.
If you get Blues do NOT get lowering springs. They are not designed to handle lowered cars and will fail prematurely.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:53 PM

I think he means as far as illuminas having the adjustability that the kyb don't offer. I have illuminas and I won't say they're better than kybs cause I've never had them but they sure are extremely nice. I've had a ton of cars over the years, and I got to say the illuminas offer a great ride and having on the fly adjustability is awesome. The only setup I could see being nicer in my opinion would be coilovers.
how much do the illuminas cost and where can get them? how much would coils over cost and don't must suggest tein coilovers and don't sacrifice comfortably for handling? i'm assuming the illuminas have a nice balance?

EDIT: how on the fly adjustable are the illuminas? by a switch or getting out and using a wrench?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:29 AM
Suspension Yoda

how much do the illuminas cost and where can get them? how much would coils over cost and don't must suggest tein coilovers and don't sacrifice comfortably for handling? i'm assuming the illuminas have a nice balance?

EDIT: how on the fly adjustable are the illuminas? by a switch or getting out and using a wrench?
Anywhere from $350-$450 for a set. Then you factor in boots, mounts, springs, install and you're right about the same price as new coilovers, which are $800+.

However, even though they are the same price, you have to be careful to automatically assume it's a better option to get coils. Coilovers are NOT maintenance free, have shorter longevity, are not as comfortable. But the performance is fantastic. Make your decision wisely based on your preferences.

Illuminas are very easy to adjust. Small flathead screwdriver to the center of the strut piston. That's under the hood for the fronts, but in the trunk for the rears. Generally I've found that once someone finds the setting that works for them, its rare for them to change the dampening.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:41 PM

Anywhere from $350-$450 for a set. Then you factor in boots, mounts, springs, install and you're right about the same price as new coilovers, which are $800+.

However, even though they are the same price, you have to be careful to automatically assume it's a better option to get coils. Coilovers are NOT maintenance free, have shorter longevity, are not as comfortable. But the performance is fantastic. Make your decision wisely based on your preferences.

Illuminas are very easy to adjust. Small flathead screwdriver to the center of the strut piston. That's under the hood for the fronts, but in the trunk for the rears. Generally I've found that once someone finds the setting that works for them, its rare for them to change the dampening.
+8 great info, also if you are in the north i was under the impression the cold winter puts more stress on the hydralics of c/os also. so even less of a life in northern winters,
but TEIN SS i heard did ok regardless but they were $1200 c/os
Old 06-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Suspension Yoda

On the same argument, the cold weather / salt puts stress on all suspension components, including struts.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM

how much do the illuminas cost and where can get them? how much would coils over cost and don't must suggest tein coilovers and don't sacrifice comfortably for handling? i'm assuming the illuminas have a nice balance? EDIT: how on the fly adjustable are the illuminas? by a switch or getting out and using a wrench?
You can get good deals on illuminas. It's like everything else you have too shop around and wait sometimes. Last year there were certain times on Amazon that I saw them for as low as 120ish for fronts. Illuminas do have a nice balance of comfort and handling. They are easy to adjust, by taking a screw driver and turning an adjuster on top of strut. They've held up great so far for me in hot and cold weather. I really like them. From everything I've read illuminas and h&r springs make a very good combination.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 AM

You can get good deals on illuminas. It's like everything else you have too shop around and wait sometimes. Last year there were certain times on Amazon that I saw them for as low as 120ish for fronts. Illuminas do have a nice balance of comfort and handling. They are easy to adjust, by taking a screw driver and turning an adjuster on top of strut. They've held up great so far for me in hot and cold weather. I really like them. From everything I've read illuminas and h&r springs make a very good combination.
other than the un even drop of H&R droopy bum look
Old 06-25-2015, 07:34 AM
Suspension Yoda

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
other than the un even drop of H&R droopy bum look
It's really not that bad. The 'rumor' of this has perpetuated for a long time, and makes it out to be worse than reality.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:14 AM

It's really not that bad. The 'rumor' of this has perpetuated for a long time, and makes it out to be worse than reality.
i dont know, i respect your opinion but, mine is rough in my point of view.

Name:  102_0625.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  209.5 KB

sept 2009 ^ upgraded tire wall size, front spacers, and new grille since then. but from the little sag, to the wider front wheel well it was kinda rough (this angle of picture exaggerates it too, but i believe that was pretty level ground
Old 06-27-2015, 10:48 PM

H&R springs? i'm also curios what fresh set of OEM stockers would be like. since some say the illuminas are softer than stock. i also wonder if coil overs still ride smoother than soon to be completely shot struts. mine are there way out bu, the car doesn't see saw when i stop yet. the suspension BANGS and bottoms somewhat often though.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 06-27-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 02 Nissan Maxima Struts