5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Gas Leak or burning too much?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 11:37 AM

Gas Leak or burning too much?

I had my fuel pump replaced and now my car is either leaking or burning too much gas.

The gas gauge is going down awfully fast and I cant seem to find a leak. Maybe it's leaking only when driving.

Where is the most common gas leak on the 2002 3.5L? Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 11:55 AM

There is no "common" gas leak on these cars. If the pump was worked on that's the first place I'd check if I suspected a leak. It's very easy to access. Just pull the rear seat and remove 3 screws that hold the cover plate on. The fuel lines connect to the pump right there.

If you were losing that much fuel you'd probably smell it. Fuel pressure remains constant so if it's not leaking at idle it's not leaking while driving. Let it idle for a while then smell around under the car. You shouldn't smell any fuel at all.
Old 01-03-2016, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
There is no "common" gas leak on these cars. If the pump was worked on that's the first place I'd check if I suspected a leak. It's very easy to access. Just pull the rear seat and remove 3 screws that hold the cover plate on. The fuel lines connect to the pump right there.

If you were losing that much fuel you'd probably smell it. Fuel pressure remains constant so if it's not leaking at idle it's not leaking while driving. Let it idle for a while then smell around under the car. You shouldn't smell any fuel at all.
The fuel pump gasket is leaking, just ordered another one. I do smell gas inside the car, but not outside. There is visible gas on the top of the pump assembly cause the gasket is leaking. Could this cause the meter to drop? I don't see how though. Will check the car at idle when possible, thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 01:11 PM

If you have gasoline leaking, then yes, the gauge will go down.

Replace that gasket before the car catches on fire and blows up and see what happens.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Adamk8824
The fuel pump gasket is leaking, just ordered another one. I do smell gas inside the car, but not outside. There is visible gas on the top of the pump assembly cause the gasket is leaking. Could this cause the meter to drop? I don't see how though. Will check the car at idle when possible, thanks
If you're leaking fuel it could easily cause the meter to drop. Either way it needs to be fixed before anything else. Are you sure it's the gasket and not the lines? I'd run it and see where it's coming out.

The gasket is at the highest part of the tank so I'd be surprised if it was leaking a lot unless the tank was all the way full. Run it with the seat out and the cover plate off. Clean it off well and see where the leak is actually coming from. It could just be that the lines weren't seated properly.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:01 PM

If you're leaking fuel it could easily cause the meter to drop. Either way it needs to be fixed before anything else. Are you sure it's the gasket and not the lines? I'd run it and see where it's coming out.

The gasket is at the highest part of the tank so I'd be surprised if it was leaking a lot unless the tank was all the way full. Run it with the seat out and the cover plate off. Clean it off well and see where the leak is actually coming from. It could just be that the lines weren't seated properly.
The tank was indeed full. Will have to look into this, thanks.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:28 AM

The tank was indeed full. Will have to look into this, thanks.
I found the leak kinda. There is gas leaking under the car from what appears to be the top of the tank. Its leaking at idle onto the exhaust. Is there a line in that area? It only leaks when the car is running, thanks.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:49 PM

You sure its gas? That looks like condensation through the muffler weep hole..That's why it only drips when the car is running.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by QueensMAX
You sure its gas? That looks like condensation through the muffler weep hole..That's why it only drips when the car is running.
Ended up dropping it off at a shop.. will update.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:53 PM

I found the leak kinda. There is gas leaking under the car from what appears to be the top of the tank. Its leaking at idle onto the exhaust. Is there a line in that area? It only leaks when the car is running, thanks.

Yeah, the line coming out of the pump is at the top of the tank under the backseat. That's pretty much the only one that would only leak when running. The gasket could only leak if the tank were all the way full and it wouldn't matter if the car were running. If it's leaking it will drip down the tank and migrate around to the lowest point.

I'm guessing that they didn't seat the line properly but they'll probably blame it on the gasket. Either way, you did the best thing by returning it to the shop. The fuel system isn't something to screw with if you're not sure of what you're doing and it's their responsibility anyway.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM

The mechanic could not find a gas leak.. which is weird. I guess it was just water dripping?

my car is using a half tank of gas when driving 120 miles... what would cause this?

I recently replaced the fuel pressure regulator located in the tank and the fuel pump. Nissan gave me the part number. It traces back to a nissan sentra fuel pressure regulator.

Why is my car using a half tank per 120 miles all of a sudden? That's really weird.. Thanks
Old 01-05-2016, 02:56 PM

It's possible they fixed the leak but didn't want to admit their mistake. Watch it from here and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel consumption problem goes away now.

If it leaks again dip your finger in it and see what it is. You should be able to tell water from gas without question.

Reset the MPG on the trip computer and see what it says after some driving. It's not super accurate but if you're burning through fuel that fast it'll be reading in the single digits or low teens. It only counts what it burns and doesn't account for a leak.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:10 PM

It's possible they fixed the leak but didn't want to admit their mistake. Watch it from here and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel consumption problem goes away now.

If it leaks again dip your finger in it and see what it is. You should be able to tell water from gas without question.

Reset the MPG on the trip computer and see what it says after some driving. It's not super accurate but if you're burning through fuel that fast it'll be reading in the single digits or low teens. It only counts what it burns and doesn't account for a leak.
My friend did the pump, not the shop. So I probably will still have fuel consumption/leak issue..

When I fill up, I get 280 before I need to refill.

I dont have the MPG reading because I have an aftermarket head unit without the adapter harness.

Will see how many mpg I get for this tank. I have about half left. Only drove 100ish miles.. ouch
Old 01-05-2016, 04:09 PM

My money is still on a leak. If you were running rich enough to burn that much fuel you'd be throwing codes and having obvious performance issues. There are only two places the fuel can go. It can spill on the ground or it can squirt through the injectors. There's no way you're squirting two or three times the fuel without serious issues.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:21 PM

My money is still on a leak. If you were running rich enough to burn that much fuel you'd be throwing codes and having obvious performance issues. There are only two places the fuel can go. It can spill on the ground or it can squirt through the injectors. There's no way you're squirting two or three times the fuel without serious issues.
Thanks for your replies derrick. Your kind.

I will smell any liquids that leak when I get the car back. May reinstall old fuel pressure regulator and see what happens.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:04 PM

No problem.

I wouldn't mess with the regulator. It won't cause your fuel consumption.

I would let it idle for about 10 minutes and look under it for leaks.
I would also access the top of the pump again and watch the line for leaks.