5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

New here Question about Rpms or other things

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 01:01 PM

New here Question about Rpms or other things

Hi i have a question i have a 02 3.5 max question is about rpm or TB so my car the morning I had to go to work I turn on the car like regular basis my rpms were high on 2 and all of a sudden a minute later it drop down to pass down the one rpm and so I waited till the car heated up I put the car in drive and the car wouldn't accelerate it just stayed On 1 rpm when pressing on the gas??has anyone else had this problem? ?i really need my car for work could u guys help me out thanks

Last edited by b0nes; 02-17-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

Sounds like fail safe. Any aftermarket modifications i.e. AFC's? Any luck when trying to start it again?

Mine did this when I screwed with the TB. Turned out when I hooked my AFC up, my TB voltage was noisy so once it goes out of wack, bam, limp mode.

Any maintenance to do w/ the TB or APPS recently?

FAIL-SAFE MODE
NFEC1460S01
When the malfunction is detected, ECM enters fail-safe mode and the MIL lights up.
Engine operation condition in fail-safe mode
ECM stops the electric throttle control actuator control, throttle valve is maintained at a fixed opening (approx. 5 degrees) by the
return spring.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-17-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Sounds like fail safe. Any aftermarket modifications i.e. AFC's? Any luck when trying to start it again?

Mine did this when I screwed with the TB. Turned out when I hooked my AFC up, my TB voltage was noisy so once it goes out of wack, bam, limp mode.

Any maintenance to do w/ the TB or APPS recently?
What does afc mean? i know a little bit about im staring to learn

No nothing aftermarket just replace the TB like 3 months ago or so and by the way whats AFC??

No i haven't done no maintenance on those two things

But the car does turn on but right away the rpms go down pass the 1 rpm and thank u

Last edited by b0nes; 02-17-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:33 PM
dot dot dot ...

Air Flow Convertor. So, no that's not it.

Maybe the TB could be bad, try checking the connections for frayed wires and such. What brand/how old was the replacement TB? I'm assuming you have a service engine soon light, finding out that code will tell a lot.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:42 PM

Oh okay

That what im thinking it might be the TB,i already check all the wiring and everything looks good. .and the brand is the original i bought it off eBay in working condition and yes i do have the check engine light

Well i already put the computer in n i got different cods witch im stretching me hair out so stressing ill post the codes
Old 02-17-2016, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by b0nes
What does afc mean? i know a little bit about im staring to learn

No nothing aftermarket just replace the TB like 3 months ago or so and by the way whats AFC??

No i haven't done no maintenance on those two things

But the car does turn on but right away the rpms go down pass the 1 rpm and thank u
P1122 *p0102 p0113 p0227 p1227 *p0223 *p1224 *p0221 *p1226 *p1128 yeah too many :/
Old 02-18-2016, 06:42 AM
dot dot dot ...

All those relate to the TB. Anywhere from the sensor itself (blade) to the actuating motor. There is a MAF code in there, but at this point, that's secondary since all the other codes (8 of the 10) are TB related since the MAFwon't cause the dead mode.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:34 PM

When you put in new TB, did you have the dealer do a relearn procedure?, since all Nissan from 2002 and up went with electronic TB going away with the mechanical cable TB. Unfortunately the TB is not just simply plug it in and go, since your acclerator pedal have a sensor on it, that communicate wired to the the Electronic TB unit.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
When you put in new TB, did you have the dealer do a relearn procedure?, since all Nissan from 2002 and up went with electronic TB going away with the mechanical cable TB. Unfortunately the TB is not just simply plug it in and go, since your acclerator pedal have a sensor on it, that communicate wired to the the Electronic TB unit.
No i didnt took it to the dealer my mechanic installed it and i did the relearn and it was working fine and it happened like it got disprogram and i did the relearn and it work fine then all of a sudden it wont take the relearn at all i just clean the maf sensor like an hour ago and thought it was that but nope still the same problem. .i can't hear the throttle body move at all :/
Old 02-18-2016, 01:04 PM
dot dot dot ...

How long ago was this alleged install?

Cleaning the MAF won't do anything. Something is not communicating to one another and/or your TPS voltages aren't synced as they should (2 TPS sensors on the TB BTW).

You can check if the throttle is opening like this. Pull the parking brake (e brake, your preference same thing) make sure it's set well and the car is on level ground, turn the key to the on position (do not crank), figure a way to depress the acc pedal, (I use a 2x4), get it to where it is pressing the pedal, go under the hood and take the accordion piece off and see if it (the throttle valve) is open. Not sure what that will accomplish, but at least you'll see if it's opening, and I'm betting it's not.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:15 PM

Cleaning the MAF won't do anything. Something is not communicating to one another and/or your TPS voltages aren't synced as they should (2 TPS sensors on the TB BTW).

You can check if the throttle is opening like this. Pull the parking brake (e brake, your preference same thing) make sure it's set well and the car is on level ground, turn the key to the on position (do not crank), figure a way to depress the acc pedal, (I use a 2x4), get it to where it is pressing the pedal, go under the hood and take the accordion piece off and see if it (the throttle valve) is open. Not sure what that will accomplish, but at least you'll see if it's opening, and I'm betting it's not.
It was installed 2 months ago. .

I just gave it a try to see if it might work that's y i clean it

Whats TPS and whats TB BTW?sorry im just trying to learn what they mean

Ooh okay ill go and try that right now so i take off the intake to see vale open correct? Ill let u know what happens thank u for helping out

I did what you said I had a helper push on the gas and it was in park with the emergency brake on the throttle body valve Didnt move I told my helper to put it on gear which is reversed and drive And the valve did move as the gears changed from reverse to drive I heard a little electronic sound Inthe transmission does that mean anything could that be the problem. .so i thought to my self if i put the car in drive fast enough will it run n sure enough it did for a lil bit then went back to the 1 rpm :/ i thought i had it working

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-18-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by b0nes
I did what you said I had a helper push on the gas and it was in park with the emergency brake on the throttle body valve Didnt move I told my helper to put it on gear which is reversed and drive And the valve did move as the gears changed from reverse to drive I heard a little electronic sound Inthe transmission does that mean anything could that be the problem. .so i thought to my self if i put the car in drive fast enough will it run n sure enough it did for a lil bit then went back to the 1 rpm :/ i thought i had it working
Oh yeah one thing i forgot it needs to be in a drive gear. But you figured that one out.

TPS = throtte position sensor
TB = throttle body
Old 02-18-2016, 03:35 PM

Oh yeah one thing i forgot it needs to be in a drive gear. But you figured that one out.

TPS = throtte position sensor
TB = throttle body
Yeah i kinda of figured that ..but yeah the vale did open when in drive and then in reverse it open as. but once in park it doesn't do anything when i put the key in Ignition the vale doesn't open at all or makes a noise. .but i did hear a sound of election in the transmission what does that mean ?? N i do get an AT when i put the key in ignition but just shows once n it goes away
Old 02-20-2016, 03:30 PM

So today i installed the new throttle body and i did the relearn so many times and no luck i the had the car running and i unplug the gas pedal and the rpms went from low to high at 1 1/2